Jakarta. Indonesia's Research and Technology Ministry has formed a consortium of local research institutions and universities to work on a Covid-19mitigation programthat will include identifying compounds that can inhibit the spread of coronavirus,developing a vaccine for the virus and implementingartificial intelligence for faster diagnosis of the disease that has already killed more than 24,000 people around the world.
The consortium will provide assistance forthe government's Covid-19 Task Force, especially in testing for the SARS-Cov-2 virus, Research and Technology MinisterBambang Brodjonegoro said.
"The consortium will focus onresearch, development, assessmentand implementation of various aspects inCovid-19 mitigation,"Bambang said on Thursday duringa virtual press conference.
The consortium is partly made up ofnon-ministerial government agencies includingIndonesian Institute of Science (LIPI), Technology Assessment and Application Agency (BPPT), Nuclear Energy Agency (Batan), Institute of Aeronautics and Space (Lapan)and Eijkman Molecular Biology Institute (LBM Eijkman).
It also includes universitiessuch asBandung Institute of Technology (ITB), Bogor Agricultural Institute (IPB), University of Indonesia (UI), Airlangga University and Gajah Mada University (UGM).
Bambang said the ministry has reallocated money from its own budget to fundthe consortium.
"Forthisfirst stage, we've reallocated Rp 20 billion ($1.2 million)from thebusiness trip budget,"he said.
Earlier, President Joko "Jokowi" Widodo said the government would divert Rp 40 trillion from itstravel budget for Covid-19 mitigation.
The pandemic has infected 893 people in Indonesia and killed78, with only 35 recoveries so far.
The Research and Technology Minister said the consortium officially called the Covid-19 Consortium has been researching the possibility that consumption ofred guava might boost the body'simmune systemand preventCovid-19 transmission.
It has also beendeveloping a disinfectionchamber prototype.
"We've also been designingpersonal protective equipmentand makinghand sanitizers,"Bambang said.
The head of IPB's Tropical Biopharmaca Study Center, Irmanida Batubara, said researchers from IPBand the University of Indonesia have found that red guava and honey contain a flavonoid compound that could potentially be developed into anantivirus for Covid-19.
"The flavonoid compound might be able tostopthe virus from replicating orobstructthe virusfrom attaching itself tothe human body's protein receptor,"she said.
Irmanida said the researchers will testthe effects of consumingred guava juice, honey andguava leaf extracts.
Meanwhile, LIPI head Laksana Tri Handoko said his institution is collaborating withITB to create an ozone-based disinfectionchamber.
"We've developed an ozone-based disinfectionchamber that's safer for the human skin and eco-friendly. Other producers will be able to use the technology, too,"he said.
One of the consortium's mid-term plans, Bambang said, is to study imported Covid-19 testing kits with a view to produce them domestically. The study is led by the BPPT.
BPPT headHammam Rizasaid the consortium will also develop a non-polymerase chain reaction(PCR) test for Covid-19, usinga dipstick and a microchip, and a PCR diagnostic test that can detect thevirus' latest mutations.
He said the consortium will also research the use ofartificial intelligence inCovid-19 mitigation efforts.
"Artificial intelligence can be used to produceCT scans and X-rays from suspect Covid-19 patientsthat will help doctors see if someone has beeninfected by the virus or not. The process will involvemachine learning and deep learning,"he said.
In the long term,the consortium wantsto develop aCovid-19 vaccine, which it said wouldtake at least 12 months.
LBM Eijkman chairmanAmin Soebandriosaid the vaccine would be designed toprotect people from further coronavirus infectionssince Indonesia has already experienced three pandemics involvingdifferent strains of the coronavirus:MERS-Cov, SARS-Covand now the SARS-Cov-2.
"The vaccine will stimulateantibodiesthat will protect us fromthe virus. Even if someone still getsinfected by the virus, the effects would not be severe. We hope thevaccine will workfor other coronaviruses too,"he said.
- Technology assisting CMPD with uptick in bomb-related calls in Charlotte - WSPA 7News - July 29th, 2021
- Occams Razor & Technology Disasters And Why We Refuse To See The Elephants In The Room. - Forbes - July 29th, 2021
- How technology can generate advisory services and creative thinking - Accounting Today - July 29th, 2021
- Clean Technology Is Crossing The Chasm And Its Time To Invest In It - Forbes - July 29th, 2021
- Mind the (Accent) Gap: DefinedCrowd Contributing to More Inclusive Speech Technology - PRNewswire - July 29th, 2021
- The Role of Technology in Managing LTL Freight Spend - Supply Chain Management Review - July 29th, 2021
- Walmart offers Marketplace technology to other businesses - Furniture Today - July 29th, 2021
- My Analysis of How Blockchain Technology Could Facilitate Citizen Disruption of Innovation - Rolling Stone - July 29th, 2021
- New technology offers insights on Southern Oceans carbon secrets - Yale Climate Connections - July 29th, 2021
- Agencies propose more than $2B in TMF projects - Washington Technology - July 29th, 2021
- Technology can speed permitting and reduce conflicts over new infrastructure | TheHill - The Hill - July 29th, 2021
- Bringing the fans to the Olympics through technology - KXAN.com - July 29th, 2021
- Is Microsoft (MSFT) Outperforming Other Computer and Technology Stocks This Year? - Yahoo Finance - July 29th, 2021
- Global AI in Information and Communications Technology (ICT) Report 2021: AI and Cognitive Computing in Communications, Applications, Content, and... - July 29th, 2021
- Cybersecurity and Information Technology: Federal Agencies Need to Strengthen Efforts to Address High-Risk Areas - Government Accountability Office - July 29th, 2021
- Why This 1 Computer and Technology Stock Could Be a Great Addition to Your Portfolio - Yahoo Finance - July 29th, 2021
- With data everywhere, the endpoint becomes the problem - Washington Technology - July 29th, 2021
- Bidens newly unveiled immigration blueprint calls for investments in technology, added personnel - Border Report - July 29th, 2021
- Sunyard Technology to Unveil Sunyard Payment Management System, The All-New Integrated Payment Management Platform - PRNewswire - July 29th, 2021
- Itron to Present at Oppenheimers 24th Annual Technology, Internet and Communications Conference and Canaccord Genuitys 41st Annual Growth Conference -... - July 29th, 2021
- Billtrust to Participate in the KeyBanc Technology Leadership Forum on August 12, 2021 - Business Wire - July 29th, 2021
- The Office of Public Works in Ireland Enhances Digital and Technology Strategy with 8x8 XCaaS - Business Wire - July 29th, 2021
- Finitive Honored on Financial Technology Report's 2021 List of Top 100 Financial Technology Companies - PRNewswire - July 29th, 2021
- UK Launches Department of Engineering Technology in Partnership With BCTC, Toyota - UKNow - July 27th, 2021
- Managing Operations Technology with IT - Automation World - July 27th, 2021
- Virtual Reality Is the Rich White Kid of Technology - WIRED - July 27th, 2021
- Q&A Collections: Using Technology With Students (Opinion) - Education Week - July 27th, 2021
- Urgent need to escape the surveillance technology jungle | Reporters without borders - Reporters sans frontires - July 27th, 2021
- Access to technology is changing the U.S. education system for good - USA TODAY - July 27th, 2021
- Even with Advanced Technology, You Still Need the Soft Skills of eDiscovery - JD Supra - July 27th, 2021
- UAMS Cardiology Team Clears 95%-blocked Artery With New Shockwave Technology - UAMS News - July 27th, 2021
- Lockheed wants industry partners to help connect people & platforms - Washington Technology - July 27th, 2021
- Powerbridge Technologies to Build a Supply Chain Management SaaS Platform Based on Blockchain Technology - Yahoo Finance - July 27th, 2021
- Cleantech Company 374Water Touts PFAS-Eliminating Technology That Makes Toxic Sludge Turn To Water - Forbes - July 27th, 2021
- SkyWater Technology to Strategically Invest $56 Million in Capacity Expansion and Gallium Nitride Technology - Business Wire - July 27th, 2021
- [Virtual Conference] eDiscovery Summer Refresher 2.0 - Session One: Applying Technology to Address Discovery Challenges Today and Tomorrow - August... - July 27th, 2021
- Fortune Growers to deploy predictive analytics technology in vegetable supply chain Produce Blue Book - Produce Blue Book - July 27th, 2021
- Inside Quantum Technology Announces Launch of QUANTUM TECH POD, the First Podcast Covering the Field of Quantum Computing - PRNewswire - July 27th, 2021
- Dakota Safety Adds CASPR Group's Disinfection Technology to Their Lineup - PRNewswire - July 27th, 2021
- Dyadic Announces Technology Transfer and Licensing Agreement With South Africas Rubic Consortium Aiming to Develop and Commercialize Vaccines for... - July 27th, 2021
- Why Rawlings thinks it built a better baseball glove using 3D printing technology - KSDK.com - July 27th, 2021
- Mavenir Appoints Bejoy Pankajakshan to Newly Created Role of Chief Technology and Strategy Officer - Business Wire - July 27th, 2021
- A different kind of solar technology is poised to go big - Grist - July 27th, 2021
- Worldwide 3D Printing Industry to 2026 - Need of Technology in Post-Processing Systems Presents Opportunities - PRNewswire - July 27th, 2021
- DFPI Office of Financial Technology and Innovation Gives Insight Into Scope and Functions - JD Supra - July 27th, 2021
- WATCH LIVE: Power plant touting new clean fusion technology breaks ground in Everett - KING5.com - July 27th, 2021
- Amazon-backed Wiliot raises $200 mln in investment led by SoftBank Vision Fund 2 - Reuters - July 27th, 2021
- Hudson County Community College Partners with New Jersey Institute of Technology for Seamless and Successful Transfer to Baccalaureate Business... - July 27th, 2021
- Why machine programming should be the next technology you invest in - VentureBeat - July 18th, 2021
- Leveraging digital technology during the pandemic - Brookings Institution - July 18th, 2021
- Overdoses reach record numbers and new technology could help saves more lives: Here are the weeks top headlines - WTRF - July 18th, 2021
- The Unsuccessful Intersection of Dogs and Technology | Outside Online - Outside - July 18th, 2021
- Wild Things technology feature tells tale on pitchers - Observer-Reporter - July 18th, 2021
- What it takes to keep federal technology transfer going - Federal News Network - July 18th, 2021
- New federal actions aim to tackle diversity in STEM fields - Axios - July 18th, 2021
- Shed of Tangshan Interchange Toll Station / AESEU Architectural Technology and Art studio - ArchDaily - July 18th, 2021
- Lightbulb moment: the battery technology invented in a Brisbane garage that is going global - The Guardian Australia - July 18th, 2021
- Core One Labs to Present on its Proprietary Biosynthetic Psilocybin Technology at Investor Town Hall Event on August 4, 2021 - Yahoo Finance - July 18th, 2021
- Cameras in the Courtroom: Technology upgrades expand public access to hearings, trials - Terre Haute Tribune Star - July 18th, 2021
- Biden battles Russian hacking groups with restrictions on IT firms - Reuters - July 18th, 2021
- Is 57 a prime number? Theres a game for that. - MIT Technology Review - July 18th, 2021
- Eggo gets inspired by technology as they introduce their new Eggoji Waffles - Guilty Eats - July 18th, 2021
- The lurking threat to solar powers growth - MIT Technology Review - July 18th, 2021
- Flush with unicorns, India's technology moment arrives, but not without concerns - Taipei Times - July 18th, 2021
- How effective is technology in education? - The New Indian Express - July 18th, 2021
- Hexa-X: 6G technology and its evolution so far - Ericsson - July 16th, 2021
- Facebook is ditching plans to make an interface that reads the brain - MIT Technology Review - July 16th, 2021
- 4 Key Ways 5G Technology is Transforming Patient Care - HIT Consultant - July 16th, 2021
- Intelsat's push to be 'more vertical' in the federal market - Washington Technology - July 16th, 2021
- TOP 100: IBM makes big move toward transformation - Washington Technology - July 16th, 2021
- What Ever Happened to IBMs Watson? - The New York Times - July 16th, 2021
- Netflix Hires Researcher Paul Debevec to Oversee Emerging Technology Team (Exclusive) - Hollywood Reporter - July 16th, 2021
- How Germany Hopes to Get the Edge in Driverless Technology - The New York Times - July 16th, 2021
- Launch Blue Technology Showcase Will Feature 8 UK Technologies - UKNow - July 16th, 2021
- Invitation Homes Invests in Fifth Wall Climate Technology Fund - Business Wire - July 16th, 2021
- LIZHI INC. Announces Partnership with Xinghe Zhilian Automotive Technology Company - Yahoo Finance - July 16th, 2021
- Worldwide Mining Cables Industry to 2026 - by Manufacturers, Regions, Technology, Application and Product Type - ResearchAndMarkets.com - Business... - July 16th, 2021
- Breakthrough automotive film technology puts AkzoNobel's innovation on the radar - Automotive World - July 16th, 2021
- Is Micron Technology Stock Headed to $165 a Share? - The Motley Fool - July 16th, 2021
- 3 Technologies at the Forefront of Digital Transformation Today - CMSWire - July 16th, 2021