Despite its proven efficacy for unipolar depression, intermittent theta burst transcranial magnetic stimulation (iTBS) appears to be ineffective in alleviating symptoms of bipolar depression, new research suggests.
Overall, investigators found that only 16% of participants responded to iTBS during the double-blind period of the trial, and the proportion of patients who responded to iTBS was the same as the proportion who responded to sham treatment. Moreover, in the open-label period of the study, only 24% of patients met the criteria for response. The trial was terminated early for futility.
"If a treating clinician decides to offer TMS to a bipolar depressed patient, we suggest that clinicians refrain from offering iTBS," senior author Lakshmi Yatham, MBBS, MBA, professor and head, Department of Psychiatry, and director of the Institute of Mental Health, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, Canada, told Medscape Medical News.
"Instead, we would advocate using traditional forms of TMS, such as HFS [high-frequency stimulation] to the left dorsolateral prefrontal cortex or LFS [low-frequency stimulation] to the right dorsolateral prefrontal cortex," said Yatham, who is also the president of the World Federation of Societies of Biological Psychiatry and the editor-in-chief of The Canadian Journal of Psychiatry.
The study was published online March 12 in JAMA Network Open.
Repetitive TMS (rTMS), a noninvasive neurostimulation treatment, is a first-line intervention in pharmacotherapy-resistant unipolar major depressive disorder (MDD).
Newer TMS protocols that use theta burst stimulation have "garnered significant research attention and evidence for antidepressant efficacy," the authors write. iTMS, in particular, has been shown to produce "lasting neurophysiological changes" and "antidepressant efficacy in MDD." Despite the "growing evidence base" supporting the use of iTBS for MDD, there has been insufficient research in the use of this modality for patients with bipolar depression.
"A meta-analysis we had conducted with data on a small number of bipolar patients who had participated in previous TMS trials showed that TMS is likely beneficial," said Yatham.
"Given that theta burst stimulation requires much less time commitment for patients, and given that this form of stimulation has shown benefit in unipolar depression, we wanted to test if this treatment would work for bipolar depression, especially because there are very few safe and effective treatments for this patient population," she said.
The researchers randomly assigned 37 patients with bipolar depression to receive either active iTBS that targeted the left dorsolateral prefrontal cortex or sham iTBS (n = 18 and n = 19, respectively). The patients were between the ages of 20 and 68 years (mean age, 43.86; 62% women). The patients had experienced no clinical response to 1 first-line treatments for an acute major depressive episode (MDE).
Patients who were acutely suicidal, who were experiencing psychosis, who had recently been diagnosed with a substance use disorder, or who had a variety of other medical or psychiatric comorbidities were excluded from the trial.
Patients who did not exhibit 50% reduction in score on the Montgomery-sberg Depression Rating Scale (MADRS) at the conclusion of the double-blind phase of the study were offered an additional 4 weeks of open-label iTBS.
The group that received sham treatment and the active-treatment group presented with similar baseline levels of depression of moderate severity (MADRS scores, 32.57 [mean SD, 4.00] and 33.38 [mean SD, 4.46], respectively).
During the double-blind phrase, two participants who were receiving iTBS and four participants who were receiving sham iTBS dropped out of the study; one participant in the active-iTBS group discontinued treatment after 3 weeks because of COVID-19-related institutional closures; and one participant in the active-iTBS group experienced a mood switch after the first treatment session.
The researchers found "no evidence for clinical superiority" of active iTBS in comparison with sham iTBS. There was no significant difference between the two groups in change of mean score on the MADRS (P = .91).
In fact, the least squares mean difference for MADRS scores at week 4 was -1.36 (95% CI, -8.92 to 6.19; P = .91) in favor of sham iTBS.
There were no differences in improvement between the groups with respect to use of different mood stabilizers, and there were no differences in rates of clinical response at the conclusion of the double-blind phase of the study.
There were no differences between the two groups in self-reported depressive or anxiety symptoms following the intervention.
Of the 29 participants who completed the double-blind phase of the trial, 21 entered the open-label phase. Of these, 16 completed all 4 weeks of treatment.
After the double-blind phase, five patients in the open-label phase of the trial achieved clinical response, and four achieved clinical remission (23.8% and 19.0%, respectively). Of the five patients who experienced clinical response, three had been allocated to the sham-iTBS condition during the double-blind phase.
rTMS has been shown to be effective for unipolar depression but not for bipolar depression, because "these two conditions are likely biologically different," said Yatham.
"There are examples of other treatments that have worked in unipolar but not in bipolar depression for instance, commonly used antidepressants such as SSRIs [selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors] work very well for unipolar depression, but their efficacy in bipolar depression remains unproven," she said.
Commenting on the study for Medscape Medical News, Scott Aaronson, MD, director of clinical research, Shepherd Pratt, Towson, Maryland, expressed concern "that people might extrapolate data from this study to think that TMS doesnt work for bipolar depression."
Aaronson, an adjunct professor at the University of Maryland School of Medicine, Baltimore, Maryland, who was not involved with the study, said the investigators "have come to the right conclusion, which is the tendency for all of us to look at all TMS techniques as the same."
In an accompanying commentary, Joan Camprodon, MD, MPH, PhD, chief of the Division of Psychiatry, Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, Massachusetts, said the study "emphasizes the need to deepen our characterization of circuit pathophysiology, the identification of anatomical treatment targets, and the focus on oscillatory physiological dynamics to understand both disease mechanisms and the distinct mechanisms of action (and clinical indications) of different TMS frequency interventions."
The study was supported by a philanthropic donation through the University of British Columbia.Yatham has received honoraria or research grants from Allergan, CANMAT, Lundbeck, Otsuka, DSP, Sanofi, Intracellular Therapies, AbbVie, Merck, and Sunovion. The other authors' disclosures are listed on the original article. Camprodon has served on the scientific advisory board of Hyka and Feelmore Labs and has received consultation honoraria from Neuronetics. His research is currently funded by the National Institutes of Health, the AE foundation, the Solinsky Foundation, and the Gerstner foundation. Aaronson is a consultant for I Neuronetics, a company that makes TMS devices.
JAMA Netw Open. Published online March 12, 2021. Full text, Commentary
For more Medscape Psychiatry news, join us on Facebook and Twitter.
View original post here:
- EDAP TMS SA to Announce First Quarter 2021 Financial Results on May 11, 2021 - Yahoo Finance - May 9th, 2021
- Greenbrook TMS Announces Change of Dates for Its First Quarter 2021 Financial Results - Business Wire - May 9th, 2021
- As One Pandemic Ends, My Tips on How To Navigate This Next One - MD Magazine - May 9th, 2021
- Global TMS(Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation) Coil Market by Type (H-coil, C-core Coil, Circular Crown Coil), By Application (Hospital, Clinic,... - May 9th, 2021
- Talent Management Systems (TMS) Market COVID -19 Impact | Growth, Analysis, Opportunities and Forecast To 2027 by Growing Players: Oracle, SAP, IBM,... - May 9th, 2021
- Vin Diesels break-dance video brings the internet as Ken guesses him to be Yeti on TMS - Republic TV - May 9th, 2021
- Greenbrook TMS Announces Proposed Public Offering of Common Shares - Business Wire - May 4th, 2021
- Ruan Partners with Mastery Logistics to Enhance TMS Platform and Redefine Supply Chain Software - DC Velocity - May 4th, 2021
- AscendTMS And uShip Partner to Support SMB Shippers with Seamless Neutral FTL / LTL Platform - DC Velocity - May 4th, 2021
- Qualifying with race downforce at Texas will aid TMS novices - Motorsport.com - May 4th, 2021
- MagVenture receives CE approvals for noninvasive brain treatment of addiction, OCD, and depression with anxiety symptoms - PRNewswire - May 4th, 2021
- Boston Seaport Announces Plans for The Holiday Market at Snowport and Calls All Makers, Artists and Chefs to Apply - Boston Real Estate Times - May 4th, 2021
- Treasury Management System (TMS) Market To Surpass Covid-19 Cringe From 2021 Onward The Courier - The Courier - May 4th, 2021
- 123Loadboard Partners With AscendTMS for In-Depth Load Searching Integration - DC Velocity - April 23rd, 2021
- Global TMS(Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation) Coil Market 2020 by Manufacturers, Regions, Type and Application, Forecast to 2025 NeighborWebSJ -... - April 23rd, 2021
- Texas Motor Speedway Vaccination Clinic Closes Friday Due to Severe Weather - NBC 5 Dallas-Fort Worth - April 23rd, 2021
- TMS Neuronavigation Systems Market Production, Revenue and Price Forecast by Type 2021 to 2027 Neurosoft (Russia), neuroCare Group (Germany), Inomed... - April 23rd, 2021
- Tyto Athene, LLC Awarded $11.6M for United States Air Force Global Sustainment Task Orders for TMS, CTS and Enhanced 9-1-1 - Business Wire - April 15th, 2021
- Molecular Signatures of the Aging Process in Mice Revealed - Technology Networks - April 15th, 2021
- How to treat anxiety without medication: 8 natural remedies - Medical News Today - April 15th, 2021
- Elite Transit Solutions Announces Aggressive Growth: Opens New Chicago and Charlotte Locations and Begins Hiring 200+ Employees - PR Web - April 15th, 2021
- Toll Management System(TMS) Market 2021 Is Booming Across the Globe by Share, Size, Growth, Segments and Forecast to 2027 | Top Players Analysis-... - April 15th, 2021
- Analysts Offer Insights on Healthcare Companies: and Greenbrook Tms (GBNH) - Smarter Analyst - April 11th, 2021
- Global Transportation Management Systems (TMS) Market 2021 by Key Players, Regions, Type and Application, Forecast to 2027 (Based on COVID-19 Impact... - April 11th, 2021
- TMS(Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation) Coil Market 2021 Is Rapidly Increasing Worldwide in Near Future | Top Companies Analysis- MAG & More,... - April 11th, 2021
- Maven Machines Integrates with McLeod Software to Improve Fleet and Driver Workflow - DC Velocity - April 11th, 2021
- Another Win for Health Insurers, a Big Loss for this Patient - CounterPunch.org - CounterPunch - April 11th, 2021
- Transcranial Magnetic Stimulators (TMS) Market 2021 Is Booming Across the Globe by Share, Size, Growth, Segments and Forecast to 2027 | Top Players... - April 11th, 2021
- Global Transportation and Logistics Software Market Status Analysis and Forecast 2021-2027 with key player- TMW, 3G tms, AFS Transportation... - April 11th, 2021
- Neuro Wellness TMS Centers of America in Coral Springs: Many Depression Sufferers Have Tried Everything. It's Time To Try Nexstim TMS Therapy. -... - April 6th, 2021
- TMS Treatment for Autism: What is it and Does it Work? - Autism Parenting Magazine - April 6th, 2021
- Repetitive TMS demonstrates ability to reduce suicidal thoughts and behaviours - NeuroNews International - April 6th, 2021
- Can Edap Tms SA (EDAP) Stock Rise to the Top of Healthcare Sector Monday? - InvestorsObserver - April 6th, 2021
- Transcranial Magnetic Stimulators (TMS) Market is Expected to Grow with an Impressive CAGR till 2027 | Players Yiruide Neurosoft Neuronetics KSU |... - April 6th, 2021
- EDAP TMS S.A. (NASDAQ:EDAP) Just Reported Full-Year Earnings And Analysts Are Lifting Their Estimates - Simply Wall St - April 6th, 2021
- Drivers concerned by prospect of no-go zone at Texas - RACER - April 6th, 2021
- TMS(Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation) Coil Market 2021- Top Fastest Growing Segments and Emerging Opportunities The Bisouv Network - The Bisouv... - April 6th, 2021
- Edap Tms SA (EDAP) Is Higher By 13.81% Before the Open Wednesday - InvestorsObserver - April 6th, 2021
- What Kind Of Investors Own Most Of Greenbrook TMS Inc. (TSE:GTMS)? - Simply Wall St - April 6th, 2021
- Research on Transportation Management Systems (TMS) Market 2020: By Growing Rate, Type, Applications, Geographical Regions, and Forecast to 2025 -... - April 6th, 2021
- Transcranial Magnetic Stimulators (TMS) Market Worth $126.7 Million by 2026 and Forecasted to Grow at CAGR 0.093% from 2020 to 2030 Comprehensive... - April 6th, 2021
- Global oll Management System(TMS) Market Outlook, Industry Analysis and Prospect 2020 - The Bisouv Network - April 6th, 2021
- Reflecting film Market 2021 by Manufacturers, Regions, Type and Application, Forecast to 2026 |NIPPA, TOYOBO, TMS, Mitsubishi, Esopp Group, etc KSU |... - April 6th, 2021
- Talent Management Systems (TMS) Market 2021: Products/Services, Organizations, Industry Viewpoint Analysis & Breakthroughs Forecast by 2026 The... - April 6th, 2021
- Transportation Management System (TMS) Solution Market Size, Share, Trend, Growth Analysis, COVID-19 Impact, Forecast 2021-2027 | Oracle, SAP,... - April 6th, 2021
- Treasury Management System (TMS) Market Trend, Technology Innovations and Growth Prediction 2020-2026 - AlgosOnline - April 6th, 2021
- Treasury Management System (TMS) Market to Witness Strong Growth Over 2021-2027 | Key Manufacturers Overview- Oracle, Finastra, Salmon Software... - April 6th, 2021
- Active Recovery TMS opens sixth clinic in the Vancouver area | ClarkCountyToday.com - clarkcountytoday.com - March 31st, 2021
- EDAP TMS S.A. (EDAP) Stock Jumps 18.8%: Will It Continue to Soar? - Yahoo Finance - March 31st, 2021
- Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation (TMS) Ineffective for People with Bipolar Disorder - James Moore - March 31st, 2021
- The COVID-19 Pandemic: Helping Those Who Suffer in Silence - Psychiatry Advisor - March 31st, 2021
- Transcranial Magnetic Stimulators (TMS) Market 2021 Will Reflect Significant Growth in Future with Size, Share, Growth, and Key Companies Analysis-... - March 31st, 2021
- Where Will Edap Tms SA (EDAP) Stock Go Next After It Is Higher By 19.44% in a Week? - InvestorsObserver - March 31st, 2021
- Talent Management Software (TMS) Market explored in the latest research report by Read Market Research- Cornerstone Ondemand, IBM, Lumesse and Others... - March 31st, 2021
- MagVenture introduces new solution to improve the ease of use for non-invasive brain stimulation - PRNewswire - March 21st, 2021
- Greenbrook to Commence Trading on NASDAQ - Business Wire - March 21st, 2021
- Axele Executive Named to SDCE 2021 Pros to Know - GlobeNewswire - March 21st, 2021
- Neuro Wellness TMS Centers Of America In Coral Springs: Do You Have Obsessive Compulsive Behaviors And Thoughts? - TAPinto.net - March 21st, 2021
- Transcranial Magnetic Stimulators (TMS) Market 2021: Applications, Types and Growing Trends in Market, Gross Margin and Market Share 2027 - Cabell... - March 21st, 2021
- Global Talent Management Software (TMS) Industry Key Drivers, Business Insights And Forecast 2026 : Cornerstone... - March 21st, 2021
- Global Treasury Management System (TMS) Market 2021 Industry Insights, Drivers, Top Trends, Global Analysis And Forecast to 2027 - The Courier - March 21st, 2021
- C.H. Robinson's Freightview Technology Platform Named Compatible Solution of the Year by FedEx - Business Wire - March 21st, 2021
- Transportation Management Systems (TMS) Market worth $4330.8 million by 2026 and projected to rise at CAGR 14.5% from 2020 to 2030 Exclusive Report... - March 21st, 2021
- Global Transportation Management Systems (TMS) Market 2021 Industry Insights, Drivers, Top Trends, Global Analysis And Forecast to 2027 - The Courier - March 21st, 2021
- State-of-the art depression clinic opening at local Wellness Centre - Portadown Times - March 21st, 2021
- How to prevent psychosocial risks and the potential liability of the employer with the increase of remote work linked to Covid-19? - Lexology - March 21st, 2021
- Transportation Managem ent Systems (TMS) Market Expected to Witness High Growth over the Forecast 2026 SoccerNurds - SoccerNurds - March 21st, 2021
- Unique X & Copine to deploy Advertising Accord in Switzerland - DCinemaToday - March 21st, 2021
- Transcranial magnetic stimulation - Mayo Clinic - March 11th, 2021
- Transcranial magnetic stimulation (TMS): Hope for stubborn ... - March 11th, 2021
- Gebrder Weiss Goes Live with 3Gtms and CargoWise Integration for International and Domestic Transportation Management - GlobeNewswire - March 11th, 2021
- Connecting the Supply Chain One TMS at a Time - Supply and Demand Chain Executive - March 11th, 2021
- Transcranial Magnetic Stimulators (TMS) Market worth $126.7 million by 2026 and projected to rise at CAGR 9.3% from 2020 to 2030 Exclusive Report by... - March 11th, 2021
- Axele Webinar: How Small and Midsized Carriers Can Harness the Power of Data - GlobeNewswire - March 11th, 2021
- Transportation Management Systems (TMS) Market aspects that require the complete knowledge by: Webfleet Solutions, Masternaut, Microlise, Transics,... - March 11th, 2021
- The Forgotten Story of the First Toyota Sold in the U.S., the Toyopet Crown - autoevolution - March 11th, 2021
- BrainsWay to Report Fourth Quarter and Full Year 2020 Financial Results on March 25, 2021 - GuruFocus.com - March 11th, 2021
- XTM CEO Bob Willans on Raising Capital and the Future of Translation Pricing - Slator - March 11th, 2021
- Trade finance technology: New funding to help BuyCo link TMS with trade finance - JOC.com - February 22nd, 2021
- Reimagining the TMS for the age of e-commerce - DC Velocity - February 22nd, 2021