Despite its proven efficacy for unipolar depression, intermittent theta burst transcranial magnetic stimulation (iTBS) appears to be ineffective in alleviating symptoms of bipolar depression, new research suggests.
Overall, investigators found that only 16% of participants responded to iTBS during the double-blind period of the trial, and the proportion of patients who responded to iTBS was the same as the proportion who responded to sham treatment. Moreover, in the open-label period of the study, only 24% of patients met the criteria for response. The trial was terminated early for futility.
"If a treating clinician decides to offer TMS to a bipolar depressed patient, we suggest that clinicians refrain from offering iTBS," senior author Lakshmi Yatham, MBBS, MBA, professor and head, Department of Psychiatry, and director of the Institute of Mental Health, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, Canada, told Medscape Medical News.
"Instead, we would advocate using traditional forms of TMS, such as HFS [high-frequency stimulation] to the left dorsolateral prefrontal cortex or LFS [low-frequency stimulation] to the right dorsolateral prefrontal cortex," said Yatham, who is also the president of the World Federation of Societies of Biological Psychiatry and the editor-in-chief of The Canadian Journal of Psychiatry.
The study was published online March 12 in JAMA Network Open.
Repetitive TMS (rTMS), a noninvasive neurostimulation treatment, is a first-line intervention in pharmacotherapy-resistant unipolar major depressive disorder (MDD).
Newer TMS protocols that use theta burst stimulation have "garnered significant research attention and evidence for antidepressant efficacy," the authors write. iTMS, in particular, has been shown to produce "lasting neurophysiological changes" and "antidepressant efficacy in MDD." Despite the "growing evidence base" supporting the use of iTBS for MDD, there has been insufficient research in the use of this modality for patients with bipolar depression.
"A meta-analysis we had conducted with data on a small number of bipolar patients who had participated in previous TMS trials showed that TMS is likely beneficial," said Yatham.
"Given that theta burst stimulation requires much less time commitment for patients, and given that this form of stimulation has shown benefit in unipolar depression, we wanted to test if this treatment would work for bipolar depression, especially because there are very few safe and effective treatments for this patient population," she said.
The researchers randomly assigned 37 patients with bipolar depression to receive either active iTBS that targeted the left dorsolateral prefrontal cortex or sham iTBS (n = 18 and n = 19, respectively). The patients were between the ages of 20 and 68 years (mean age, 43.86; 62% women). The patients had experienced no clinical response to 1 first-line treatments for an acute major depressive episode (MDE).
Patients who were acutely suicidal, who were experiencing psychosis, who had recently been diagnosed with a substance use disorder, or who had a variety of other medical or psychiatric comorbidities were excluded from the trial.
Patients who did not exhibit 50% reduction in score on the Montgomery-sberg Depression Rating Scale (MADRS) at the conclusion of the double-blind phase of the study were offered an additional 4 weeks of open-label iTBS.
The group that received sham treatment and the active-treatment group presented with similar baseline levels of depression of moderate severity (MADRS scores, 32.57 [mean SD, 4.00] and 33.38 [mean SD, 4.46], respectively).
During the double-blind phrase, two participants who were receiving iTBS and four participants who were receiving sham iTBS dropped out of the study; one participant in the active-iTBS group discontinued treatment after 3 weeks because of COVID-19-related institutional closures; and one participant in the active-iTBS group experienced a mood switch after the first treatment session.
The researchers found "no evidence for clinical superiority" of active iTBS in comparison with sham iTBS. There was no significant difference between the two groups in change of mean score on the MADRS (P = .91).
In fact, the least squares mean difference for MADRS scores at week 4 was -1.36 (95% CI, -8.92 to 6.19; P = .91) in favor of sham iTBS.
There were no differences in improvement between the groups with respect to use of different mood stabilizers, and there were no differences in rates of clinical response at the conclusion of the double-blind phase of the study.
There were no differences between the two groups in self-reported depressive or anxiety symptoms following the intervention.
Of the 29 participants who completed the double-blind phase of the trial, 21 entered the open-label phase. Of these, 16 completed all 4 weeks of treatment.
After the double-blind phase, five patients in the open-label phase of the trial achieved clinical response, and four achieved clinical remission (23.8% and 19.0%, respectively). Of the five patients who experienced clinical response, three had been allocated to the sham-iTBS condition during the double-blind phase.
rTMS has been shown to be effective for unipolar depression but not for bipolar depression, because "these two conditions are likely biologically different," said Yatham.
"There are examples of other treatments that have worked in unipolar but not in bipolar depression for instance, commonly used antidepressants such as SSRIs [selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors] work very well for unipolar depression, but their efficacy in bipolar depression remains unproven," she said.
Commenting on the study for Medscape Medical News, Scott Aaronson, MD, director of clinical research, Shepherd Pratt, Towson, Maryland, expressed concern "that people might extrapolate data from this study to think that TMS doesnt work for bipolar depression."
Aaronson, an adjunct professor at the University of Maryland School of Medicine, Baltimore, Maryland, who was not involved with the study, said the investigators "have come to the right conclusion, which is the tendency for all of us to look at all TMS techniques as the same."
In an accompanying commentary, Joan Camprodon, MD, MPH, PhD, chief of the Division of Psychiatry, Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, Massachusetts, said the study "emphasizes the need to deepen our characterization of circuit pathophysiology, the identification of anatomical treatment targets, and the focus on oscillatory physiological dynamics to understand both disease mechanisms and the distinct mechanisms of action (and clinical indications) of different TMS frequency interventions."
The study was supported by a philanthropic donation through the University of British Columbia.Yatham has received honoraria or research grants from Allergan, CANMAT, Lundbeck, Otsuka, DSP, Sanofi, Intracellular Therapies, AbbVie, Merck, and Sunovion. The other authors' disclosures are listed on the original article. Camprodon has served on the scientific advisory board of Hyka and Feelmore Labs and has received consultation honoraria from Neuronetics. His research is currently funded by the National Institutes of Health, the AE foundation, the Solinsky Foundation, and the Gerstner foundation. Aaronson is a consultant for I Neuronetics, a company that makes TMS devices.
JAMA Netw Open. Published online March 12, 2021. Full text, Commentary
For more Medscape Psychiatry news, join us on Facebook and Twitter.
View original post here:
- Surge Transportation forges digital pathway with TMS integrations - FreightWaves - July 18th, 2021
- Axele TMS Tops 5K Users and 40K Loads, Closes out First Half of 2021 with 10X - GlobeNewswire - July 18th, 2021
- Transcranial Magnetic Stimulators (TMS) Market Potential Growth, Size, Share, Demand And Analysis Of Key Players Research Forecasts To 2027 The... - July 18th, 2021
- TSD1 receives funding for high school renovations as middle school work wraps up TMS expected to open for 2021-2022 school year -... - July 18th, 2021
- MindPath Care Centers Hosts Open House in Charlotte to Introduce FDA-Cleared Deep TMS Treatment for Major Depressive Disorder (MDD) and... - July 14th, 2021
- Axele TMS Tops 5K Users and 40K Loads, Closes out First Half of 2021 with 10X Growth in Monthly Recurring Revenue - Yahoo Finance - July 14th, 2021
- Centralization and digitalization: key priorities for global treasuries - BBVA - July 14th, 2021
- REWIND: Rock of Ages. The 1997 Rockfest concert in Fort Worth - WFAA.com - July 14th, 2021
- 2021 State of the Cloud: No end in sight - Logistics Management - July 14th, 2021
- Slag Handling Service Market 2021: Comprehensive Research Including Top Companies like-TMS International, Phoenix Services, Harsco, Edw. C. Levy Co.,... - July 14th, 2021
- Cybin Files its 13th Patent Application and Announces Digital Therapeutics Strategy - Business Wire - July 14th, 2021
- Greenbrook TMS (GBNH) Withdraws Proposed Share Offering - StreetInsider.com - June 28th, 2021
- Terminal Management System (TMS) Market Analytical Overview, Growth Factors, Demand and Trends Forecast to 2027 The Manomet Current - The Manomet... - June 28th, 2021
- Therapeutic Ultrasound Devices Market | Industry Insight 2021-2027 Covered players: , EDAP TMS, Dornier Medtech, InSightec, Siemens, and More The... - June 28th, 2021
- Shockwave Therapy Device market 2021 Global analysis, opportunities and forecast to 2027 | By Top Leading Vendors like , Boston Scientific... - June 28th, 2021
- Can Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation (TMS) Hurt You ... - June 23rd, 2021
- TMS discusses thermal management in electric powertrains - Automotive Testing Technology International - June 23rd, 2021
- API vs. RPA whats the difference? - FreightWaves - June 23rd, 2021
- AI and edge computing: the future of traffic management - Business Reporter - June 23rd, 2021
- Massive Crowds Flock to Universal as Capacity Restrictions Disappear - Inside the Magic - June 23rd, 2021
- Global Treasury Management System (TMS) Market Research Report Covers, Future Trends, Past, Present Data and Deep Analysis 2021-2026 The Manomet... - June 23rd, 2021
- Global Transportation Managem ent Systems (TMS) Market Analysis, Market Insights, Size, Share, Growth, Trends and Forecast 2021-2025 The Manomet... - June 23rd, 2021
- Tla'amin Nation outlines conflict of interest - Powell River Peak - June 23rd, 2021
- Effects of repetitive transcranial magnetic stimulation | NDT - Dove Medical Press - May 27th, 2021
- BrainsWay Announces First of its Kind Positive Coverage Policy by Centene for the Treatment of OCD - GlobeNewswire - May 27th, 2021
- TMS student overcomes obstacle to excel in track and cross country. - WCBI - May 27th, 2021
- Manhattan Associates Unveils the Industry's Fastest and Smartest Multi-modal Transportation Optimization Engine - StreetInsider.com - May 27th, 2021
- Lupin The 3rd Part Six Unveils New Trailer - ComicBook.com - May 27th, 2021
- Registration of the reduced quantity of shares in Nexstim Plc (the last phase) - GlobeNewswire - May 27th, 2021
- Residents of Duncan have a voice in planning the future - My Cowichan Valley Now - May 18th, 2021
- Talent Management Software (TMS) Market | Covid-19 Impact Analysis | 2021 | Current Trends, Opportunity, Growth Potential, Industry Size, and Forecast... - May 18th, 2021
- Global Transportation Managem ent Systems (TMS) Market Size 2021, Share, Emerging-Trends, Growth, Services, Growth-Analysis, Top Manufacturers,... - May 18th, 2021
- Biogen Announces Exercise of Option to Acquire the Investigational Drug TMS-007 for Acute Ischemic Stroke - GlobeNewswire - May 16th, 2021
- Results: EDAP TMS S.A. Exceeded Expectations And The Consensus Has Updated Its Estimates - Yahoo Finance - May 16th, 2021
- South Jersey MS Center Now Offering TMS Therapy For Those With Chronic Treatment-Resistant Illnesses - Yahoo Finance - May 16th, 2021
- Analysts Offer Insights on Healthcare Companies: EDAP TMS (EDAP), Veru (VERU) and Kamada (KMDA) - Smarter Analyst - May 16th, 2021
- The Dallas Cowboys Will Start 0-1 - And Win The NFC East - Sports Illustrated - May 16th, 2021
- 2021 Latest Insights On Toll Management System(TMS) Industry. Understand Market Future And Impact Of Covid-19 On The Industry Clark County Blog -... - May 16th, 2021
- Global High-intensity Focused Ultrasound (HIFU) therapy Market 2021 Top 10 Key players |EDAP TMS, THERACLION, CARDIAWAVE, BrainSonix Corporation, FUS... - May 16th, 2021
- Global Radioactive Iodine Ablation Therapy Market Research Report, Growth Trends and Competitive Analysis 2021-2027 KSU | The Sentinel Newspaper -... - May 16th, 2021
- INTERVIEW: 'Army of the Dead's Matthias Schweighfer Talks Safecracking, Zack Snyder, and Prequels - The Mary Sue - May 16th, 2021
- Huge Demand of Digital Piano Market by 2027 | TMS, The ONE Music Group, Kurzweil, Williams Test & Measurement - Test & Measurement - May 16th, 2021
- Quantity of shares in Nexstim Plc after completion of the first phase in reducing the quantity of shares - StreetInsider.com - May 16th, 2021
- Global High-intensity Focused Ultrasound Therapy Market 2021 Challenges by enhanceing manufactures:EDAP TMS, SonaCare Medical, Theraclion, ILJIN... - May 16th, 2021
- Talent Management Software (TMS) Market Research Provides an In-Depth Analysis on the Future Growth Prospects and Industry Trends Adopted by the... - May 16th, 2021
- EDAP TMS SA to Announce First Quarter 2021 Financial Results on May 11, 2021 - Yahoo Finance - May 9th, 2021
- Greenbrook TMS Announces Change of Dates for Its First Quarter 2021 Financial Results - Business Wire - May 9th, 2021
- As One Pandemic Ends, My Tips on How To Navigate This Next One - MD Magazine - May 9th, 2021
- Global TMS(Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation) Coil Market by Type (H-coil, C-core Coil, Circular Crown Coil), By Application (Hospital, Clinic,... - May 9th, 2021
- Talent Management Systems (TMS) Market COVID -19 Impact | Growth, Analysis, Opportunities and Forecast To 2027 by Growing Players: Oracle, SAP, IBM,... - May 9th, 2021
- Vin Diesels break-dance video brings the internet as Ken guesses him to be Yeti on TMS - Republic TV - May 9th, 2021
- Greenbrook TMS Announces Proposed Public Offering of Common Shares - Business Wire - May 4th, 2021
- Ruan Partners with Mastery Logistics to Enhance TMS Platform and Redefine Supply Chain Software - DC Velocity - May 4th, 2021
- AscendTMS And uShip Partner to Support SMB Shippers with Seamless Neutral FTL / LTL Platform - DC Velocity - May 4th, 2021
- Qualifying with race downforce at Texas will aid TMS novices - Motorsport.com - May 4th, 2021
- MagVenture receives CE approvals for noninvasive brain treatment of addiction, OCD, and depression with anxiety symptoms - PRNewswire - May 4th, 2021
- Boston Seaport Announces Plans for The Holiday Market at Snowport and Calls All Makers, Artists and Chefs to Apply - Boston Real Estate Times - May 4th, 2021
- Treasury Management System (TMS) Market To Surpass Covid-19 Cringe From 2021 Onward The Courier - The Courier - May 4th, 2021
- 123Loadboard Partners With AscendTMS for In-Depth Load Searching Integration - DC Velocity - April 23rd, 2021
- Global TMS(Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation) Coil Market 2020 by Manufacturers, Regions, Type and Application, Forecast to 2025 NeighborWebSJ -... - April 23rd, 2021
- Texas Motor Speedway Vaccination Clinic Closes Friday Due to Severe Weather - NBC 5 Dallas-Fort Worth - April 23rd, 2021
- TMS Neuronavigation Systems Market Production, Revenue and Price Forecast by Type 2021 to 2027 Neurosoft (Russia), neuroCare Group (Germany), Inomed... - April 23rd, 2021
- Tyto Athene, LLC Awarded $11.6M for United States Air Force Global Sustainment Task Orders for TMS, CTS and Enhanced 9-1-1 - Business Wire - April 15th, 2021
- Molecular Signatures of the Aging Process in Mice Revealed - Technology Networks - April 15th, 2021
- How to treat anxiety without medication: 8 natural remedies - Medical News Today - April 15th, 2021
- Elite Transit Solutions Announces Aggressive Growth: Opens New Chicago and Charlotte Locations and Begins Hiring 200+ Employees - PR Web - April 15th, 2021
- Toll Management System(TMS) Market 2021 Is Booming Across the Globe by Share, Size, Growth, Segments and Forecast to 2027 | Top Players Analysis-... - April 15th, 2021
- Analysts Offer Insights on Healthcare Companies: and Greenbrook Tms (GBNH) - Smarter Analyst - April 11th, 2021
- Global Transportation Management Systems (TMS) Market 2021 by Key Players, Regions, Type and Application, Forecast to 2027 (Based on COVID-19 Impact... - April 11th, 2021
- TMS(Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation) Coil Market 2021 Is Rapidly Increasing Worldwide in Near Future | Top Companies Analysis- MAG & More,... - April 11th, 2021
- Maven Machines Integrates with McLeod Software to Improve Fleet and Driver Workflow - DC Velocity - April 11th, 2021
- Another Win for Health Insurers, a Big Loss for this Patient - CounterPunch.org - CounterPunch - April 11th, 2021
- Transcranial Magnetic Stimulators (TMS) Market 2021 Is Booming Across the Globe by Share, Size, Growth, Segments and Forecast to 2027 | Top Players... - April 11th, 2021
- Global Transportation and Logistics Software Market Status Analysis and Forecast 2021-2027 with key player- TMW, 3G tms, AFS Transportation... - April 11th, 2021
- Neuro Wellness TMS Centers of America in Coral Springs: Many Depression Sufferers Have Tried Everything. It's Time To Try Nexstim TMS Therapy. -... - April 6th, 2021
- TMS Treatment for Autism: What is it and Does it Work? - Autism Parenting Magazine - April 6th, 2021
- Repetitive TMS demonstrates ability to reduce suicidal thoughts and behaviours - NeuroNews International - April 6th, 2021
- Can Edap Tms SA (EDAP) Stock Rise to the Top of Healthcare Sector Monday? - InvestorsObserver - April 6th, 2021
- Transcranial Magnetic Stimulators (TMS) Market is Expected to Grow with an Impressive CAGR till 2027 | Players Yiruide Neurosoft Neuronetics KSU |... - April 6th, 2021
- EDAP TMS S.A. (NASDAQ:EDAP) Just Reported Full-Year Earnings And Analysts Are Lifting Their Estimates - Simply Wall St - April 6th, 2021