Ray Comfort, in his bookSpurgeon Gold: Pure and Refined, describes Charles Haddon Spurgeon, the 19th-century preacher who ministered in the streets of London during the cholera pandemic of 1854. Spurgeons words, says Mr. Comfort, were pure and refined. They were rhetorical and theological gold. Spurgeon, had the ability to take the hammer of eloquence and nail a particular truth, to pull back the veil of the eternal and give us a fleeting glance.
Mr. Comfort continues. Gold holds its market value. Heavens everlasting streets are paved with it Gold is not meant to sit on the shelf of a rich man. If it does, then it becomes worthless. Its real value will be seen in its being spent on the cause of the Kingdom.In other words, the gold of truth earns its value only through the spoken word and the active life of men of virtue and valor. The gold of integrity must be spent. It cannot be hoarded. It only earns its value if it is invested.
As COVID-19 hysteria sweeps across our nation, the tens of millions of us who still claim to be followers of Christ might do well to consider, not only these words from Ray Comfort, but also the words and actions of Charles Spurgeon of some 150 years past.
They are so good.
They are so faithful.
They are so pertinent and so prophetic.
They are gold.
One can almost hear Spurgeon bellowing from the podiums of New York City and Washington, D.C., as he did from his pulpit in Essex England Christians take heart! Be not afraid! Your Savior and your God, is with you! Be steadfast and immovable! Be strong and courageous! Be not afraid! Always abound in the work of the Lord!
If you listen carefully, this man, known as the Prince of Preachers, a man with a golden tongue and a refined soul, is shouting Never let a crisis go to waste. Run toward the storm, not away from it. Embrace this calamity. Have courage! This is your time. This is your destiny. This is your opportunity. Shine with the light of salvation and the love of your Redeemer. Be the Church, for Jesus, himself, has told you the gates of hell will not prevail against you! Put your trust in God, not in yourselves, and not in government. Believe in His sovereignty. Walk in His grace. March with confidence in your King!
But enough of the dross of my speculation. Hear the exact words of Spurgeon:
At first, I gave myself up with youthful ardor to the visitation of the sick, and was sent for from all corners of the district by persons of all ranks and religions; but, soon, I became weary in body and sick at heart. My friends seemed falling one by one, and I felt or fancied that I was sickening like those around me. A little more work and weeping would have laid me low among the rest; I felt that my burden was heavier than I could bear, and I was ready to sink under it.
I was returning mournfully home from a funeral, when, as God would have it, my curiosity led me to read a paper which was wafered up in a shoemakers window on the Great Dover Road. It did not look like a trade announcement, nor was it, for it bore, in good bold handwriting, these words: Because thou hast made the Lord, which is my refuge, even the Most High, thy habitation; there shall no evil befall thee, neither shall any plague come nigh thy dwelling.
The effect upon my heart was immediate. Faith appropriated the passage as her own. I felt secure, refreshed, girt with immortality. I went on with my visitation of the dying, in a calm and peaceful spirit; I felt no fear of evil, and I suffered no harm.
The Providence which moved the tradesman to place those verses in his window, I gratefully acknowledge; and in the remembrance of its marvelous power, I adore the Lord my God.
Let me repeat Faith appropriated. I felt secure, refreshed, girt with immortality. I went on in a calm and peaceful spirit; I felt no fear of evil, and I suffered no harm!
This is gold. Pure gold. Refined gold.
Whether it be a bad market or a bad disease, lovers of Christ should be the first to show the world that our security is not in hand sanitizers but in our Savior.
Dont let this crisis go to waste! shouts Spurgeon.
Show the world what love, joy and peace, truly look like.
Show your neighbor, your city and your nation that even though we walk through dark valleys, fear has lost its victory and death has lost its sting.
Everett Piper, former president of Oklahoma Wesleyan University, is a columnist for The Washington Times and author of Not A Day Care: The Devastating Consequences of Abandoning Truth (Regnery 2017).
- A battle to defend the soul of football: How Spain achieved immortality at the 2010 World Cup - The Independent - June 17th, 2020
- Dream Team missed date with immortality - The Herald - June 17th, 2020
- Virtual U.S. Open: Palmer, Boros and other challengers - Pro Golf Now - June 17th, 2020
- Health benefits of giloy juice and easy kadha recipes - Times of India - June 17th, 2020
- Where do you want Liverpool to win Premier League title and what do you predict will happen? - Liverpool Echo - June 17th, 2020
- Stephen King Has a Friday the 13th Book He Wants to Write About Jason Voorhees - MovieWeb - June 17th, 2020
- Star Wars Just Wiped Darth Plagueis Backstory From Continuity - We Got This Covered - June 17th, 2020
- Bravery in service of the US | Keizertimes | You think you know. To be sure, read Keizertimes. - Keizertimes - June 17th, 2020
- The Afterlife of George Floyd: A Portfolio by Photographer Eli Reed - The Cut - June 17th, 2020
- American Horror Story: Every Character Who Became The Supreme - Screen Rant - June 17th, 2020
- Why is the 2000s the PBA's forgotten decade? - ESPN - June 17th, 2020
- Guardian: The Lonely and Great God Season 2 What Is The Status Of Renewal? And Is It Cancelled? - Pop Culture Times - June 17th, 2020
- Bihar will get nothing from personal attack on me, focus on real issues: Tejashwi tells BJP, Nitish - Outlook India - June 13th, 2020
- Judd Apatow Tells How the Wallflowers One Headlight Came to Illuminate King of Staten Island: Its Personal - Variety - June 13th, 2020
- NOS4A2 Viewing Guide: What You Need to Know Going into Season 2 - Anglophenia - June 13th, 2020
- How racism revealed the fragility of an entire sport - Majorca Daily Bulletin - June 13th, 2020
- Book World: Those who built the bomb, those who used it and those who survived it - Alton Telegraph - June 13th, 2020
- Bahrain king pardons 16 jailed OFWs; 11 deported to PH - UNTV News - UNTV News - June 13th, 2020
- Netflix Said No to Streaming Tommy Wiseau's The Room - MovieWeb - June 13th, 2020
- Dinosaur toys and golf clubs: the strange things astronauts take to the moon - The Guardian - June 13th, 2020
- Copa America: Will 12-month delay enhance Messi and Argentina's chances of glory? - Yahoo! Voices - June 13th, 2020
- 10 Inspirational Quotes by Swami Vivekananda For a Life of Freedom And Tranquility - India.com - June 13th, 2020
- Does Thanos Have Superpowers (WITHOUT Infinity Stones)? - Screen Rant - June 13th, 2020
- Kansas City Chiefs Who Could Be Future Hall of Famers (Part 2) - Chiefs Digest - June 13th, 2020
- The Eternals When Can We Expect It In Theatres? What Leaks Are Coming And What Are New Updates? - Pop Culture Times - June 13th, 2020
- What Does It Mean to Tear Down a Statue? - The New York Times - June 13th, 2020
- Less than zero: how Pointlesss tweaked finale made fools of us all - The Guardian - May 25th, 2020
- Erling Braut Haaland is Robert Lewandowski's heir apparent we have been waiting for - The National - May 25th, 2020
- A zombie apocalypse, a surprise hook-up, and brutal deaths in the latest Legends of Tomorrow - SYFY WIRE - May 25th, 2020
- Star Wars Confirms DEATH Affects Sith and Jedi the Same - in One KEY Way - CBR - Comic Book Resources - May 25th, 2020
- They fought and died, and we remember - The Register-Guard - May 24th, 2020
- Grafite: The Tale of One of the Bundesliga's Greatest Ever One-Season Wonders - 90min - May 24th, 2020
- The last days of history - Part 13Sunday Magazine - Guardian - May 24th, 2020
- 'Henry tried every day to be the best' - Vela says Jordan's Last Dance documentary conjured memories of Arsenal icon - Goal.com - May 24th, 2020
- Elliott Mortuary to host events in Madisonville | Local News - The Messenger - May 24th, 2020
- Read this before you watch The Old Guard - Looper - May 24th, 2020
- 10 New Switch Titles Releasing This Week - SwitchWatch - May 24th, 2020
- From the archives: CSM wins first Nor Cal title - San Mateo Daily Journal - May 24th, 2020
- David Charters: Grumbling oil boiler offers thoughts of immortality - Liverpool Echo - April 11th, 2020
- Hope Is an Important Part of Judaism | Bob Ryan - The Times of Israel - April 11th, 2020
- Teen paperboy with vampire obsession ripped elderly woman's heart out and drank her blood to be immortal - MEAWW - April 11th, 2020
- Lactomeda: the future of humanity | Science - The Union Journal - April 11th, 2020
- Westworld Season 3 Has Almost the Same Plot as Captain America: The Winter Soldier - The Mary Sue - April 11th, 2020
- 21st Century Westerns: The Alamo - Cowboys and Indians - April 11th, 2020
- Last Witch Hunter 2: Vin Diesel Hints Script Is Being Worked On Now - Screen Rant - April 11th, 2020
- Remembering two members of the Marin music community - Marin Independent Journal - April 11th, 2020
- The Nike Adidas Puma Olympic Battle Will Have to Wait - Barron's - March 26th, 2020
- Christ Provides the Antidote to Fear Amid Coronavirus - National Catholic Register - March 26th, 2020
- The Vampire Diaries: The 10 Most Hated Storylines | ScreenRant - Screen Rant - March 26th, 2020
- Today's Gospel in Art - The Annunciation of the Lord - Independent Catholic News - March 26th, 2020
- Doctor Who: The Top 10 Tenth Doctor Episodes, Ranked According to IMDb - Screen Rant - March 26th, 2020
- 48 SECONDS FROM IMMORTALITY: The story of the 1990 Concord Minutemen - Goshen News - March 24th, 2020
- Ginkgo: The Tree of Immortality | NCPR News - North Country Public Radio - March 24th, 2020
- Boost your spirits with fun rom-coms - Boston Herald - March 24th, 2020
- Alex Salmond: from the brink of independence to a court room - FRANCE 24 - March 24th, 2020
- With only 4k miles, this 1982 Mercedes-Benz 300SD will outlive us all - Autoblog - March 24th, 2020
- We're as lonely as a cloud but the Romance isn't dead - The Guardian - March 24th, 2020
- How Altered Carbon: Resleeved Connects to Season 2 | Screen Rant - Screen Rant - March 24th, 2020
- In Times of Crisis, We Need To Inject Reason into Debates over Faith - The Libertarian Republic - March 24th, 2020
- '80s Movie Quotes Every Kid From the '80s Knows By Heart - Best Life - March 24th, 2020
- Questioning the Shutdown | RR Reno - First Things - March 24th, 2020
- Liberty shackled and the future blighted: RIP Europe, 312 - 2020 - The Conservative Woman - March 24th, 2020
- Westworld series refresher, what you need to know before season 3 - Show Snob - March 24th, 2020
- Immortality by 2050: Humans very close to everlasting life - February 27th, 2020
- Sports Perseverance leads Tres Tinkle to cusp of Oregon State immortality Kyle Hansen 9:38 AM - KPAX-TV - February 27th, 2020
- Syracuse basketball has clinched immortality for the 2nd straight season - Inside the Loud House - February 27th, 2020
- Why Dodgers' Great Willie Davis Received a Grand Total of Zero Hall of Fame Votes - Sports Illustrated - February 27th, 2020
- Everything You Need to Know to Watch 'Altered Carbon' Season 2 on Netflix - Newsweek - February 27th, 2020
- Local News Mom spreads kindness to honor her young son who died in 2018 KMTV Staff - KMTV - 3 News Now - February 27th, 2020
- Alfred Jarry at the Morgan Library - Apollo Magazine - February 27th, 2020
- Features | Strange World Of... | The Strange World Of... Tom Smith/ To Live And Shave In LA - The Quietus - February 27th, 2020
- Mocking mediocrity - The New Indian Express - February 27th, 2020
- Three more movies coming in 2020 you need to check out - The Badger Herald - February 27th, 2020
- The Legend of Maula Jatt not for faint hearted, children: Bilal Lashari - The Nation - February 27th, 2020
- The 100-year life: how to prolong a healthy mind - The Guardian - February 27th, 2020
- The Philosophy of Julia Ward Howe - zocalopublicsquare.org - February 27th, 2020
- Story Time: The prophecy of eternity - DAWN.com - February 27th, 2020
- 'Altered Carbon': Takeshi Kovacs is the definitive and imperfect sci-fi hero of this generation - MEAWW - February 27th, 2020
- Celtics will retire Kevin Garnett's No. 5 next season - 98.5 The Sports Hub - February 14th, 2020
- Canucks: Yes, the Sedin twins belong in the Hall of Fame - The Canuck Way - February 14th, 2020