Depression is a growing problem in Canada and elsewhere, and one of the most important public health issues today, says the World Health Organization (WHO). The COVID-19 pandemic and the ensuing containment measures have had an impact on the mental health of Canadians and have created conditions that are associated with increased rates of suicide.
Unfortunately, front-line treatments for depression, such as psychotherapy and medication, remain ineffective for a large portion of patients receiving care.
However, a new type of treatment is promising: neurostimulation. Here, a technician in a clinic directs a magnetic coil and delivers a few hundred electromagnetic pulses to a specific area of the brain. Treatments are painless, involve no surgery or significant side-effects and take less than an hour a day. The results are impressive. But is this too good to be true?
As a professor of neuroscience in the department of biology at the University of Ottawa and an affiliated researcher at the Krembil Research Institute in Toronto, my research in nonlinear physics has led me to the incredible complexity and richness of biological systems, especially in neuroscience.
Using mathematics and the power of numerical computation, it is possible to better understand not only how the brain works at the cellular level but also how its vast network is organized and what may be lacking because in presence of diseases, such as depression. This can help identify new avenues for treatment and test their effectiveness through simulations. Its a huge task that Im working on in collaboration with an interdisciplinary team of researchers around the world.
During the past decade, medical treatments involving neurostimulation, or cerebral electromagnetic stimulation, have resurfaced in neuroscience and psychiatry.
After the murky days of electroconvulsive therapy and other techniques, which had rather bad press, electrical or magnetic stimulation of neurons is attempting a comeback, using a much more sophisticated approach and much lower electrical currents. As a result, neurostimulation is becoming increasingly important in the treatment of depression, and its effectiveness seems to surpass that of medication in many patients.
Methods such as transcranial magnetic stimulation (TMS) are safe and painless alternatives to traditional pharmacological treatments. In addition, they have virtually no side-effects and offer new insights into the manipulation and control of cognitive processes.
Recent meta-analyses have identified positive and lasting effects of TMS neurostimulation treatments on patients with depression, some of whom experienced benefits up to one year after treatment.
These treatments are now approved by many regulatory agencies and the clinical use of neurostimulation is on the rise in many countries. In particular, portable TMS devices are in development and in the process of being approved by Health Canada for wider, accessible deployment. These devices would allow patients to treat themselves at home, without having to go to the clinic every day as is currently the case.
However, a major challenge remains: how to control brain activity accurately. What areas and types of magnetic signals should be used to relieve patients symptoms? For despite amazing results and promising advances, the mechanisms of neurostimulation remain poorly understood. Why?
TMS uses a coil to create a magnetic field that induces electric currents in the brain. Neurons are cells that communicate by means of repeated electrochemical impulses; the brain is an organ with essentially electrical functions. Magnetic fields can therefore influence the dialogue between different areas of the brain and in theory restore or balance their function.
The brain, composed of billions of neurons with continuously changing dynamics, is an incredibly complex network. Neurostimulation therefore poses quite a problem for researchers and clinicians, such as where to stimulate and how. The problem is so great that many advances are being made empirically using the trial-and-error method.
Mathematics is involved in this interdisciplinary adventure. What if, through mathematical models of brain circuits, we could understand how stimulation influences neurons and how its effects propagate?
By integrating brain imaging data such as magnetic resonance and electroencephalograms, mathematics can be used to create numerical simulations to better understand the influence of neurostimulation on neuronal activity. Its a promising approach that could indeed allow us to unravel the mystery of considering the brain as a pendulum!
To better understand, lets go back a bit.
The activity of neurons in the brain is far from being random and irregular. On the contrary, the neurons in certain parts of the brain co-ordinate their activity and react at the same time. They synchronize. This synchronization of the neurons in the brain appears in the magnifying glass of medical imaging as waves, or very characteristic oscillations, which are also called brain rhythms.
Brain activity oscillates like a pendulum and this constant to-and-fro movement allows us to see neuronal processes in action. Like ripples on a pond, brain rhythms are dynamic, changing according to our cognitive states. They will be different during a sustained mental effort, during physical activity and during sleep or meditation.
Researchers believe that brain waves are involved in the majority of brain processes. It is also these same rhythms that seem to be lacking in many neurodegenerative diseases. They are absent, too strong or too slow.
What if we could control these rhythms with the help of neurostimulation? This is the emerging hypothesis put forward by some neurostimulation researchers. Using advanced mathematics and computer simulations, they want to understand how co-ordination between networked neurons can be influenced and to what extent electromagnetic stimulation can be used to control brain rhythms and to develop treatments for neurological disorders such as multiple sclerosis, Parkinsons, schizophrenia and depression.
This research may lead to a better understanding of the role of these rhythms in brain function, the code used by neurons to communicate with each other and a better understanding of what is lacking in certain diseases. It may also allow us to use neurostimulation to increase the computational capacity of these neural networks, thereby increasing cognitive abilities and creativity. Science fiction? Maybe but not completely.
- Trade finance technology: New funding to help BuyCo link TMS with trade finance - JOC.com - February 22nd, 2021
- Reimagining the TMS for the age of e-commerce - DC Velocity - February 22nd, 2021
- Extreme weather postpones season opening TMS Dirt Track event - Speedway Digest - February 22nd, 2021
- Research Moz Releases New Report on the TMS(Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation) Coil Market 2021-2030 NY Market Reports - NY Market Reports - February 22nd, 2021
- Real-time Truckload Rates from Estes Forwarding Worldwide (EFW) Available to More than 25,000 Shippers in Kuebix - PRNewswire - February 22nd, 2021
- Jujutsu Kaisen Chat With Ray Chase, Voice of Sukuna - The Mary Sue - February 22nd, 2021
- Emerging Neuromodulation Technologies Enabling Growth Opportunities in Mental Health Care - ResearchAndMarkets.com - Business Wire - February 22nd, 2021
- Transcranial Magnetic Stimulators (TMS) Market Analysis Of Trends, Demand And Competition 2021-2026 | Neuronetics, Yiruide, Brainsway, Neurosoft,... - February 22nd, 2021
- Small Fleets Drive EKA Cloud-Based TMS Growth - Heavy Duty Trucking - February 12th, 2021
- DAT and Axele Announce Partnership to Expand Load Board and TMS Integration - SupplyChainBrain - February 12th, 2021
- Hodge enjoys showing TMS students how history connects to their lives - The Thomasville Times - February 12th, 2021
- Denton County cancels Thursdays vaccination clinic at Texas Motor Speedway due to weather - The Dallas Morning News - February 12th, 2021
- Covid-19 impact on High-intensity Focused Ultrasound (HIFU) Treatment Market Key Vendors, Regional Analysis and Competitive Landscape Forecast by... - February 12th, 2021
- Birds of Prey Director Cathy Yan on Her Debut Film Dead Pigs - The Mary Sue - February 12th, 2021
- Real-time pricing vs. spot pricing: Whats the difference? - FreightWaves - February 12th, 2021
- Significant' High Court backing for adjudication in construction - Law Society of Ireland Gazette - February 12th, 2021
- Transcranial Magnetic Stimulators (TMS) Market 2021 Analysis, Industry Size, Share Leaders, Current Status by Major vendors and Trends by Forecast to... - February 12th, 2021
- Neuro Wellness TMS Centers of America In Coral Springs Offers Breakthrough Treatment Of Depression, Anxiety, and Other Disorders - TAPinto.net - February 6th, 2021
- Pandemic spurs scientists to look closer at an experimental treatment for severe depression - CTV News - February 6th, 2021
- 40% of TMS teachers are vaccinated - Saipan Tribune - February 6th, 2021
- Axele hits outstanding milestone of 10000 loads since introduction less than 90 says ago - American Journal of Transportation - February 6th, 2021
- Best Comprehensive Report on Treasury Management System (TMS) Market 2021-2027| Cisco, Everbridge, HPE (Aruba), Cloud4Wi, Signify (Philips), CARTO ... - February 6th, 2021
- New Dawn TMS Psychiatry with Their FDA Approved TMS Therapy Offers Holistic Psychiatric Care - Press Release - Digital Journal - February 6th, 2021
- The New World of Logistics - PRNewswire - February 6th, 2021
- MEGALOBOX 2: NOMAD to Premiere in April 2021 on TOKYO MX & BS11 - Business Wire - February 6th, 2021
- Across Systems' Gerd Janiszewski on Selling the TMS Provider to Volaris Group - Slator - January 29th, 2021
- Global Transportation Management System Market Report 2021: Opportunities in the Increasing Adoption of Cloud-Based Technology and Industry 4.0 -... - January 29th, 2021
- Axele Hits Outstanding Milestone of 10000 Loads Since Introduction Less Than 90 Days Ago - CSCMP's Supply Chain Quarterly - January 29th, 2021
- He's Been Fighting To Improve Mental Health Service In Coral Springs And Across The Nation - TAPinto.net - January 29th, 2021
- Global Treasury Management System (TMS) Market Detailed analysis of current Industry figures with forecasts growth by 2028 | Top Players; Oracle,... - January 29th, 2021
- Transfix Launches TrueView TMS, Offering Shippers Flexible, Consistent Capacity And Reducing Time To Tender By Up To 92% - PR Web - January 19th, 2021
- Agnew's dressing gown and Bumble's dog: it's TMS and Sky Cricket, but not as we know it - Telegraph.co.uk - January 19th, 2021
- Greenbrook TMS Provides Update on Share Consolidation and Appointment of Stephan Roker to the Board - Yahoo Finance - January 19th, 2021
- Part two: FX and hedging for SMEs - between a rock and a hard place - Finextra - January 19th, 2021
- Transcranial Magnetic Stimulators (TMS) Market Size By Analysis, Key Vendors, Regions, Type and Application, and Forecasts to 2027 - NeighborWebSJ - January 19th, 2021
- TMS Neuronavigation Systems Market Size By Analysis, Key Vendors, Regions, Type and Application, and Forecasts to 2027 - NeighborWebSJ - January 19th, 2021
- Transportation Management Systems (TMS) Industry 2020 Includes The Major Application Segments And Size In The Global Market To 2027 - NeighborWebSJ - January 19th, 2021
- Tire Mold Market 2021 financial overview of the Players such as Saehwa IMC, SeYoung TMS, King Machine, HERBERT Maschinen, Shinko Mold Industrial - KSU... - January 19th, 2021
- EnviroChill Saves Bakery from Food Disaster with New Technology - Press Release - Digital Journal - January 19th, 2021
- Lady Bulldogs Undefeated in Region Play - All On Georgia - January 19th, 2021
- Neuro Wellness TMS Centers of America in Coral Springs: There Is Relief For Depression - TAPinto.net - January 17th, 2021
- Greenbrook TMS Provides Update on Share Consolidation and Appointment of Stephan Roker to the Board - Business Wire - January 17th, 2021
- Dry Well Calibrators Market | Industry Insight 2021-2026 Covered players: Fluke, Wika Instrumentation, TMS, Electronic Development Laboratories, OMEGA... - January 17th, 2021
- Treating Major Depressive Disorder: A Lesson through the Ages - News & Features - January 5th, 2021
- Digital Piano Market 2021 to 2026 Insights & Forecast with COVID-19 Impact | Yamaha , Long Beach Music , Hamzer , Casio , TMS , and more |... - January 5th, 2021
- Technology Enhancements to the QuantaVerse Financial Crime Platform Extend its Lead in AML Innovation - PR Web - January 5th, 2021
- Transportation Management System (Tms) Market with Future Prospects, Growth, Industry Expansion Strategies, Key Player SWOT Analysis and Forecast To... - January 5th, 2021
- Trucking in 2020: A look back the year's top news, equipment and tech trends - Commercial Carrier Journal - January 5th, 2021
- Waste Collection (Waste and Recycling) Software Market Competitive landscape, Growth Strategies for Business Development, Analysis and Forecast,... - January 5th, 2021
- EDAP Announces End of the Year Focal One Sales - GlobeNewswire - January 5th, 2021
- BrainsWay Announces Publication of New Real-World OCD Data for its Deep TMS System in Journal of Psychiatric Research - GlobeNewswire - November 17th, 2020
- Transportation Management Systems (TMS) Market Size, Share, Growth Rate, Revenue, Applications, Industry Demand & Forecast to 2025 - The Think... - November 17th, 2020
- Hudson Capital and FreightHub Merge - Citybizlist - November 17th, 2020
- TMS students recognized as Blazers of the Quarter - The Torrington Telegram - November 15th, 2020
- Greenbrook TMS Reports Third Quarter Financial Results With Continued Resilient Performance Through the COVID-19 Pandemic, Announces Spravato Pilot... - November 15th, 2020
- BrainsWay Announces Publication of New Real-World OCD Data for its Deep TMS System in Journal of Psychiatric Research - Yahoo Finance - November 15th, 2020
- Freight Scouts Transforms Broker Operations with Descartes' Cloud-based Solution - DC Velocity - November 15th, 2020
- EDAP TMS SA to Announce Third Quarter 2020 Financial Results on November 18, 2020 - Yahoo Finance - November 15th, 2020
- Tenino Middle School Honored as AVID 'Site of Distinction' for Showing Marked Improvement in Past Three Years - Centralia Chronicle - November 15th, 2020
- Freight Scouts Transforms Broker Operations with Cloud-based Transportation Management and Load Tracking Visibility Solution from Descartes - IT News... - November 15th, 2020
- Five Keys to Overcoming the Barriers that Limit Dedicated Fleet Productivity - Supply Chain Management Review - November 15th, 2020
- Odyssey Logistics & Technology TMS Study Reveals Insights Amid the Pandemic on Logistics Technology and Market Conditions - PR Web - August 19th, 2020
- BulkLoads TMS product for bulk commodities will be integrated into Barchart - FreightWaves - August 19th, 2020
- Toyota Kirloskar Motor new car leasing & subscription Program through TMS - United News of India - August 19th, 2020
- Treasury Management System (TMS) Market Size By Product Analysis, By Application, By End-Users, By Regional Outlook, By Top Companies and Forecast to... - August 19th, 2020
- For those in Salem with depression, new clinic provides another resource for treatment - Salem Reporter - July 25th, 2020
- Global TMS(Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation) Coil Market 2020 Industry Analysis, Size, Share, Growth, Trend and Forecast to 2025 - Red & Black... - July 25th, 2020
- ORANGEBURG PROPERTY TRANSFERS - The Times and Democrat - July 25th, 2020
- Your Healthy Family: Getting help with the stress of uncertainty during a pandemic - KOAA.com Colorado Springs and Pueblo News - July 25th, 2020
- Mauritius club fined for not doing the TMS paperwork - Inside World Football - July 25th, 2020
- Coronavirus: Fifa gives Safa the power to extend the 2019-20 PSL season - Yahoo Sports - July 25th, 2020
- Global Transportation Management Systems (TMS) Market 2020 Industry Research Manufacturer Landscape, Revenue and Volume Analysis and Segment... - July 25th, 2020
- Racin' Today Dillon Answers 'Haters' With Victory In Texas - RacinToday.com - July 25th, 2020
- Live TMS Treatment from NeuroSpa TMS - WFLA - July 15th, 2020
- Strategy Systems Expands Integration with Trucker Tools, adds Book It Now to TMS Platform - DC Velocity - July 15th, 2020
- ARL Logistics Taps Trucker Tools for Smart Capacity Predictive Freight-Matching, Automated One-Click Load Booking with Book It Now - PR Web - July 15th, 2020
- Global Transportation Management System (TMS) Market 2020: Size, Share, Revenue, Growth, Supply, Top Companies and Forecast Research 2025 - Sports... - July 15th, 2020
- Coupa acquires BELLIN, targeting treasury management (Part 2: TMS Market, Competitors and TAM / Market-Sizing Considerations) - Spend Matters - June 24th, 2020
- Archerhub Launches ALVUS TMS to help Carrier Partners Grow their Businesses - DC Velocity - June 24th, 2020
- Axele TMS allows small, midsize FTL carriers to improve load planning and communications, increase profit - The Trucker - June 24th, 2020