When rehearsals began for The Food Show, one of the first things writer-director Dan Kerr-Hobert asked his five-member cast to do was demonstrate their favorite way to prepare eggs. These ranged from a perfect omelette and an elegant poached egg to the less ambitious half-scramble in a bowl in a microwave.
He says the way people cook eggs is a kind of handwriting, and felt the exercise would be a perfect starting point to introduce the actors to the ideas he was aiming to illustrate in this new Neo-Futurist show.
The Food Show When: To Sept. 2 Where: The Neo-Futurists at Metropolitan Brewing, 3057 N. Rockwell Tickets: $10-$25 Info: neofuturists.org
It was a good way to start the conversation about how our identities affect our relationship to food and visa versa, he says. After each egg was made we all talked about small ways in which the process revealed things about the person cooking. Some text came out of that which is now in the show, but it also gave us a baseline sense of each persons relationship to food.
With his new play, Kerr-Hobert wants to get people thinking and talking about food via a wide range of ideas from foods cultural connections and the significance of family recipes passed down to social issues and foods impact on the environment. And, yes, food will be cooked on stage as the actors ruminate about these ideas and more.
The Food Show was born out of an ongoing conversation Kerr-Hobert, a member of The Neo-Futurists, had with his cousin and Neo-Futurist alum Caitlin Stainken. Both were interested in ideas about the connections people have with food and identity and had talked about opening a restaurant but creating a show about food was the idea that won out. (However, Stainken has since moved to Montana, had a baby and wasnt available to continue with the shows creation.)
Kerr-Hobert says the show is not solely aimed at foodies: The goal is to look at the emotional relationship we all have with food.
Dan Kerr-Hobert | SUPPLIED PHOTO
He adds, one of the core themes in the show is the idea of food and inheritance: Where did we get our ideas about food? What ideas have we inherited? And why do we choose to keep them or give them up?
In 2009, the Neo-Futurists partnered with Metropolitan Brewery to stage Sean Benjamin and Steve Mosquedas Beer, which was directed by Kerr-Hobert at the brewerys Ravenswood location. The partnership continues with The Food Show, which debuts at Metropolitans new Avondale location. The cast features Oliver Camacho, Bilal Dardai, Tif Harrison, Spencer Meeks and Kyra Simms, with music composed by Mucca Pazza artistic director Ronnie Kuller.
As the 70-minute show unfolds, the cast is busy with tasks from making butter and pasta to searing salmon and baking cookies while also pondering the current issues related to food.
This is the first time Kerr-Hobert has created a Neo-Futurist show that he isnt performing in. It was a new and interesting challenge, he says. Instead of simply using the stories from his own life, he says he had to discover new ways to bring his ideas into the script.
He began by interviewing the cast, each of whom had a drastically different history with food. These personal narratives are woven into the piece.
Ensemble member Bilal Dardai (the creator of that aforementioned half scramble in a bowl) grew up eating a mix of ethnic Indian dishes and American cuisine (my mom was open to trying different things). His role in the show evolved around his ethnic background but also around the fact hes the only parent in the cast.
We discussed ideas about not only my background but also about what you feed a small child with a food allergy and how you handle that, Dardai says referring to his own experience with his son.
Kerr-Hobert hopes the show provides a space where people can have a fulfilling and entertaining meditation on food and the issues surrounding it. Do we keep our inherited ways or do we make changes, he asks. For me, the show is about mindfulness and a chance to think about questioning inheritance and whether or not we need to change.
I try and eat ethically but I definitely dont think enough about where all the food is coming from. I know those things have an impact on the world. There are a lot of questions about why we do what we do when it comes to food. We want to get people thinking about these issues.
Mary Houlihan is a local freelance writer
- Futurist says coronavirus could last for years 'like the Great Depression' - Mirror Online - July 5th, 2020
- Climate Change Threatens 60 Percent of the World's Fish Species - Futurism - July 5th, 2020
- This Scientist Says He's Built a Jet Engine That Turns Electricity Directly Into Thrust - Futurism - July 5th, 2020
- One Particular Spot on Earth Is Getting Colder Instead of Hotter - Futurism - July 5th, 2020
- The Large Hadron Collider Just Discovered a Brand-New Particle - Futurism - July 5th, 2020
- Scientists Say They've Found the Exact Center of the Solar System - Futurism - July 5th, 2020
- When Futurism Meets With Disaster: Max Brooks' Devolution - tor.com - July 5th, 2020
- Extremely Dubious Scientist Believes There's Mushrooms and Lichen on Mars - Futurism - July 5th, 2020
- This Forest Fire Was So Huge, NASA Spotted It From Space - Futurism - July 5th, 2020
- 5 Ways Brands Can Take Meaningful Action During This Time - Forbes - July 5th, 2020
- NASA Invents Wearable That Scolds You For Touching Your Face - Futurism - July 5th, 2020
- Researchers Say You Can Improve Your Eyesight by Staring at This Specific Type of Light - Futurism - July 5th, 2020
- Even With Insurance, the COVID Drug Remdesivir Is Shockingly Expensive - Futurism - July 5th, 2020
- Augmented Human: 5 Times Ive Used Technology To Augment Myself - Forbes - July 5th, 2020
- A Giant Star Appears to Have Winked Out of Existence - Futurism - July 5th, 2020
- Introducing the Campus Technology Insider Podcast - Campus Technology - June 24th, 2020
- This is What Sunsets on Other Planets Would Look Like - Futurism - June 24th, 2020
- Astronomers May Have Discovered First-Ever Black Neutron Star - Futurism - June 24th, 2020
- NASA: Next Moon Astronauts Will Hike 10 Miles on Lunar Surface - Futurism - June 24th, 2020
- As fashion resets, its algorithms should too - Vogue Business - June 24th, 2020
- China Is Building a Genetic Database of Every Man in the Country - Futurism - June 24th, 2020
- The Death of the Open-Plan Office? Not Quite, but a Revolution is in the Air - Nextgov - June 24th, 2020
- Freestyle Acquires Divos!; Docs The Prison Within & Superhuman Find Homes; Random Media Takes Opus Of An Angel Film Deal Briefs - Deadline - June 24th, 2020
- Nicholas Mallis' Final Station, And More Music News and Gossip | Flagpole - Flagpole Magazine - June 24th, 2020
- Renewal Shows the Possibility of a Better World Post-Covid - Press Release - Digital Journal - June 24th, 2020
- Working from home is missing something that only offices and cities can provide - MarketWatch - June 24th, 2020
- Futurist site: Flamingo Land thanked for 'sticking with us'; remarketing the site 'would not be appropriate' says council's deputy leader - The... - June 20th, 2020
- How a global pandemic is changing the world: Part 1 - SmartBrief - June 20th, 2020
- Step into 2030: Join The Drum's futurist session to hear what the next decade holds - The Drum - June 13th, 2020
- This Flying Car Looks Like the DeLorean From "Back to the Future" - Futurism - June 13th, 2020
- Bad News: Another Deadly Virus Is Spreading in the US - Futurism - June 13th, 2020
- This Guy Accidentally Took a Photo That Crashes Android Smartphones - Futurism - June 13th, 2020
- Coronavirus live updates: Here's what to know in South Florida on June 12 - msnNOW - June 13th, 2020
- Scientists Claim the Universe Is Actually Flat - Futurism - June 13th, 2020
- SpaceX Trying to Figure Out How to Land Starship on the Moon - Futurism - June 13th, 2020
- Scientists Claim to Have Recreated Earth's First Life - Futurism - June 13th, 2020
- Collapsed Star Proves Another of Einstein's Theories - Futurism - June 13th, 2020
- Elon Musk: Teslas Semi Truck is Officially Going Into Production - Futurism - June 13th, 2020
- This Quasar Warps Itself Into a Ring by Distorting Spacetime - Futurism - June 13th, 2020
- Justice League: Who Is the DC Universe's Tony Stark? | CBR - CBR - Comic Book Resources - June 13th, 2020
- A Futurist's Advice on Navigating through the Technology Valley of Death - CEOWORLD magazine - June 13th, 2020
- A Futurist Explains What Emerging Jobs Will Be Necessary Post-Virus - Hit 107 - June 6th, 2020
- Experts: Protests Unlikely to Cause Huge Wave of COVID Cases - Futurism - June 6th, 2020
- After Explosion, SpaceX Still Hoping to Launch Starship This Year - Futurism - June 6th, 2020
- NASA InSight Lander Finally Manages to Bury Its Probe Into Mars - Futurism - June 6th, 2020
- Evidence Suggests That the Entire Early Universe Was Rotating - Futurism - June 6th, 2020
- Elon Musk Just Absolutely Roasted the Russian Space Program - Futurism - June 6th, 2020
- Study: More Than 500 Vertebrates Poised To Go Extinct - Futurism - June 6th, 2020
- Allison Fine Featured in The New Yorker - Philanthropy Women - June 6th, 2020
- MSN Fires Journalists, Replaces Them With AI - Futurism - June 6th, 2020
- What will design look like in 2030? We asked 3 futurists - Business of Home - June 1st, 2020
- Interstellar Visitor May Be One of Rarest Objects In Universe - Futurism - June 1st, 2020
- Vancouver Island's long road to recovery will have a few bumps - vancouverislandfreedaily.com - June 1st, 2020
- 5G Technology - The Cybersecurity Implications of Widespread - tripwire.com - June 1st, 2020
- Half the Visible Universe Was Missing. Scientists Just Found It. - Futurism - June 1st, 2020
- The New Reality: Future of shopping malls in jeopardy as COVID-19 pandemic pushes shoppers online - cjoy.com - June 1st, 2020
- Only One in Two Americans Say They'd Take a COVID-19 Vaccine - Futurism - June 1st, 2020
- Watch the Astronauts Give Their Kids Virtual Hugs Before Launch - Futurism - June 1st, 2020
- Changing face of Liverpool city centre and the shops we've lost along the way - Liverpool Echo - June 1st, 2020
- Folk's Jason Wilber Examines the World Through a Futurist Lens in 'Time Traveler' (album stream) - PopMatters - May 29th, 2020
- The Conversation: Beware of Unemployment Insurance Scammers - Hawaiipublicradio - May 29th, 2020
- The long road to recovery will have a few bumps Victoria News - Victoria News - May 29th, 2020
- The stakes have never been higher as America reopens. What can a post-coronavirus world look like? - USA TODAY - May 29th, 2020
- On the Futurist Cookbook - Apollo Magazine - May 14th, 2020
- UWO alumnus and renowned futurist: 'There has never been more opportunity to make a difference' - UW Oshkosh Today - May 14th, 2020
- What will the world look like after corona? - ISRAEL21c - May 14th, 2020
- US Officials: Chinese Hackers Are Targeting Vaccine Research - Futurism - May 14th, 2020
- Dock a SpaceX Spacecraft to the ISS in This Amazing Simulator - Futurism - May 14th, 2020
- WHO: The Coronavirus Might Be Here Forever - Futurism - May 14th, 2020
- Documentary Spaceship Earth resurrects stranger-than-fiction story of utopian Biosphere 2 experiment - ABC News - May 14th, 2020
- Scientists Have a Promising New Idea to Defeat the Coronavirus - Futurism - May 14th, 2020
- Fauci: Reopening Too Soon Could Lead to "Suffering and Death" - Futurism - May 14th, 2020
- Augmented reality giant Magic Leap is closing its Seattle office amid layoffs - GeekWire - May 14th, 2020
- How will you re-introduce your business to customers? - Trinidad Guardian - May 14th, 2020
- There's a Resurgence of Coronavirus Cases in China - Futurism - May 14th, 2020
- Futurism | Definition, Manifesto, Artists, & Facts ... - April 30th, 2020
- 7 Top Futurists Make Some Pretty Surprising Predictions ... - April 30th, 2020
- The White House Is Trying to Shut Down NASA's Last Mars Rover - Futurism - April 30th, 2020
- Free DNA Test Claims to Warn Whether COVID Is Likely to Kill You - Futurism - April 30th, 2020
- New Zealand Claims to Have Eliminated COVID-19 - Futurism - April 30th, 2020