When rehearsals began for The Food Show, one of the first things writer-director Dan Kerr-Hobert asked his five-member cast to do was demonstrate their favorite way to prepare eggs. These ranged from a perfect omelette and an elegant poached egg to the less ambitious half-scramble in a bowl in a microwave.
He says the way people cook eggs is a kind of handwriting, and felt the exercise would be a perfect starting point to introduce the actors to the ideas he was aiming to illustrate in this new Neo-Futurist show.
The Food Show When: To Sept. 2 Where: The Neo-Futurists at Metropolitan Brewing, 3057 N. Rockwell Tickets: $10-$25 Info: neofuturists.org
It was a good way to start the conversation about how our identities affect our relationship to food and visa versa, he says. After each egg was made we all talked about small ways in which the process revealed things about the person cooking. Some text came out of that which is now in the show, but it also gave us a baseline sense of each persons relationship to food.
With his new play, Kerr-Hobert wants to get people thinking and talking about food via a wide range of ideas from foods cultural connections and the significance of family recipes passed down to social issues and foods impact on the environment. And, yes, food will be cooked on stage as the actors ruminate about these ideas and more.
The Food Show was born out of an ongoing conversation Kerr-Hobert, a member of The Neo-Futurists, had with his cousin and Neo-Futurist alum Caitlin Stainken. Both were interested in ideas about the connections people have with food and identity and had talked about opening a restaurant but creating a show about food was the idea that won out. (However, Stainken has since moved to Montana, had a baby and wasnt available to continue with the shows creation.)
Kerr-Hobert says the show is not solely aimed at foodies: The goal is to look at the emotional relationship we all have with food.
Dan Kerr-Hobert | SUPPLIED PHOTO
He adds, one of the core themes in the show is the idea of food and inheritance: Where did we get our ideas about food? What ideas have we inherited? And why do we choose to keep them or give them up?
In 2009, the Neo-Futurists partnered with Metropolitan Brewery to stage Sean Benjamin and Steve Mosquedas Beer, which was directed by Kerr-Hobert at the brewerys Ravenswood location. The partnership continues with The Food Show, which debuts at Metropolitans new Avondale location. The cast features Oliver Camacho, Bilal Dardai, Tif Harrison, Spencer Meeks and Kyra Simms, with music composed by Mucca Pazza artistic director Ronnie Kuller.
As the 70-minute show unfolds, the cast is busy with tasks from making butter and pasta to searing salmon and baking cookies while also pondering the current issues related to food.
This is the first time Kerr-Hobert has created a Neo-Futurist show that he isnt performing in. It was a new and interesting challenge, he says. Instead of simply using the stories from his own life, he says he had to discover new ways to bring his ideas into the script.
He began by interviewing the cast, each of whom had a drastically different history with food. These personal narratives are woven into the piece.
Ensemble member Bilal Dardai (the creator of that aforementioned half scramble in a bowl) grew up eating a mix of ethnic Indian dishes and American cuisine (my mom was open to trying different things). His role in the show evolved around his ethnic background but also around the fact hes the only parent in the cast.
We discussed ideas about not only my background but also about what you feed a small child with a food allergy and how you handle that, Dardai says referring to his own experience with his son.
Kerr-Hobert hopes the show provides a space where people can have a fulfilling and entertaining meditation on food and the issues surrounding it. Do we keep our inherited ways or do we make changes, he asks. For me, the show is about mindfulness and a chance to think about questioning inheritance and whether or not we need to change.
I try and eat ethically but I definitely dont think enough about where all the food is coming from. I know those things have an impact on the world. There are a lot of questions about why we do what we do when it comes to food. We want to get people thinking about these issues.
Mary Houlihan is a local freelance writer
- Predictions for the 2020s, From a Futurist, a Trend Forecaster and an Astrologer - Vogue - January 18th, 2020
- Tullio Crali: A Futurist Life review a head-on revelation - The Guardian - January 18th, 2020
- Meet the futurist with 2020 vision - Sydney Morning Herald - January 18th, 2020
- These Researchers Want You to Live In a Fungus Megastructure - Futurism - January 18th, 2020
- Scientists Create "Living Concrete" That Can Heal Itself - Futurism - January 18th, 2020
- Scientists: Ocean Warming at the Rate of Five A-Bombs per Second - Futurism - January 18th, 2020
- 2020 Real Estate Newsmakers: The Achievers and the Futurists - RisMedia.com - January 18th, 2020
- The Roots Young Futurists 2020: Nominate the Leaders Who Are Ready to Change the World - The Root - January 18th, 2020
- MIT Suspends Another Professor for Epstein Ties - Futurism - January 18th, 2020
- Fossil fuel issues, nanobots, and the end of work as we know it - Kemmerer Gazette - January 18th, 2020
- Trump Demands That Apple Give Government Access to iPhones - Futurism - January 18th, 2020
- SpaceX Is Delivering Cannabis to the Space Station - Futurism - December 13th, 2019
- Elon Musk Is Talking About Powering All of America with Solar - Futurism - December 13th, 2019
- Middle Eastern Nation First to Buy Drone Armed With Machine Gun - Futurism - December 13th, 2019
- Virgil Abloh Merges Fashion and Futurism with the Louis Vuitton Men's 2054 Collection - Ocean Drive Magazine - December 13th, 2019
- Watch Terrifying Creeps Hack Ring Cameras and Spy on Families - Futurism - December 13th, 2019
- Study: Many Extreme Weather Events Were Caused by Climate Change - Futurism - December 13th, 2019
- End of the world: This futurist has some grim news for the middle class - MarketWatch - December 9th, 2019
- Futurist Predicts "The End of the World as We Know It" - Futurism - December 9th, 2019
- Avoiding the 'Robocalypse' - CFO Magazine - December 9th, 2019
- Blockland Solutions Conference is underway at the Huntington Convention Center of Cleveland - Crain's Cleveland Business - December 9th, 2019
- Its 2071, and We Have Bioengineered Our Own Extinction - The New York Times - December 9th, 2019
- Young Bomberg and the Old Masters at the National Gallery: the Renaissance influences on an East End radical - inews - December 9th, 2019
- Futurist, Cathy Hackl, Named Top Voice in Tech by LinkedIn for 2nd Year in a Row - PRNewswire - December 6th, 2019
- Futurist sees the end of the world as we know it for average person - Haaretz - December 6th, 2019
- SpaceX Is Sending Super-Muscular Mice to the Space Station - Futurism - December 6th, 2019
- 19 Newly Discovered Galaxies Appear to Be Missing Dark Matter - Futurism - December 6th, 2019
- Interview: Shaping the future - The Actuary - December 6th, 2019
- 'The Future of X' Turns to Collaboration in the Workplace. Tune In - OZY - December 6th, 2019
- The inspirations of Shafi Ahmed surgeon, teacher and futurist - Director magazine - November 30th, 2019
- New Zealand Opens World's First HIV-Positive Sperm Bank - Futurism - November 30th, 2019
- Dubai is Adding Tesla Cybertrucks to its Police Car Fleet - Futurism - November 30th, 2019
- New Calculations: Black Holes Could Have Thousands of Planets - Futurism - November 30th, 2019
- Web Inventor Unveils Plan to Save the Web - Futurism - November 30th, 2019
- Can a computer have intuition? - Verizon Communications - November 30th, 2019
- Things to Do in DC This Weekend: A Jane Goodall Exhibit, Holiday Markets, and a Massive Maze at Nats Park - Washingtonian - November 23rd, 2019
- Futurist: Channel Has To Remove Friction To Cloud 2.0 Adoption - CRN: The Biggest Tech News For Partners And The IT Channel - October 28th, 2019
- MSPs Will Help Enable The 'Virtualization Of The World,' Says Futurist - CRN: The Biggest Tech News For Partners And The IT Channel - October 28th, 2019
- Tech and futurism drive iconic car event's appeal - The Japan Times - October 28th, 2019
- This Electric Toothbrush Uses AI Because Nothing is Sacred Anymore - Futurism - October 28th, 2019
- This Rocky World With Three Suns May Have an Atmosphere - Futurism - October 28th, 2019
- This Creepy Life-Sized Doll Is a Warning About What Office Life Is Doing to Us - ScienceAlert - October 28th, 2019
- Scientists Say They Finally Figured Out How to Spot Wormholes - Futurism - October 28th, 2019
- Good News: The Ozone Hole Is Smaller Than Weve Ever Seen It - Futurism - October 28th, 2019
- The US Army Is Spending $750K to Partner With UFO Research Group - Futurism - October 28th, 2019
- Amazon Is Writing Its Own Facial Recognition Bills - Futurism - September 27th, 2019
- Yes, There's a "Pee Tape" and It's Unclear If It's a Deepfake - Futurism - September 27th, 2019
- Heres How We Could Feed a Million People on Mars - Futurism - September 27th, 2019
- Gasoline Fiends Blocked Every Single Tesla Charger in This Town - Futurism - September 27th, 2019
- Harvard Prof: The Moon Could Have Caught Alien Organisms, Tech - Futurism - September 27th, 2019
- Scarborough's South Bay observation wheel set to stay until November - The Scarborough News - September 27th, 2019
- Dozens of Countries Are Deploying Propaganda on Social Media - Futurism - September 27th, 2019
- Visual Effects Society Names Acclaimed Visual Futurist Syd Mead A Keynote Speaker at 2017 VES Summit - SHOOT Online - August 25th, 2017
- Residents 'Happy' With Futurist Development - Yorkshire Coast Radio - August 25th, 2017
- THE FUTURIST: Economic and existential concerns cloud the future - Sarasota Herald-Tribune - August 22nd, 2017
- New series of The Futurist Report explains effects of AI - IT News Africa - IT News Africa - August 22nd, 2017
- What is the Future of the Human Resource Function ... - August 20th, 2017
- Utah Futurist Rebrands NewVistas Effort - Valley News - August 20th, 2017
- AT&T Foundry, RocketSpace and Ericsson Release a New Series of ... - Al-Bawaba - August 20th, 2017
- Universal Basic Income Examined by Futurism Blog - Basic Income News - August 20th, 2017
- Renowned futurist to speak at SA top 100 event - InDaily - August 18th, 2017
- Acclaimed Visual Futurist Syd Mead to Deliver Keynote Address at 2017 VES Summit - Animation World Network (press release) (registration) (blog) - August 18th, 2017
- The CIO's broadening role: Business strategist, futurist, change agent - CIO New Zealand - August 16th, 2017
- Popular Futurist to Discuss the Future of the Hospitality Industry - Digital Journal - August 15th, 2017
- The Futurist: Technology as the key to HR - Human Resources Online - August 14th, 2017
- Yorkshire Coast Radio - News - Next Step In Futurist Demolition - Yorkshire Coast Radio - August 14th, 2017
- Transportation Futurist Simon J. Anderson to Speak Today on the Future of Trucking - Digital Journal - August 14th, 2017
- Cliff-top Scarborough residents say theatre demolition could destroy their homes - ITV News - August 11th, 2017
- The Futurist: Creating a positive candidate experience is fundamental - Human Resources Online - August 9th, 2017
- Israel and Kazakhstan's futurist vision for Eurasia - The Jerusalem Post mobile website - August 8th, 2017
- The Futurist: Fishing for the right talent - Human Resources Online - August 3rd, 2017
- Anders Srman-Nilsson (LLB/EMBA), global futurist, speaker and author - InvestorDaily - August 3rd, 2017
- 4 Big Trends That Will Shape CRE: A Futurist's Guide - Commercial Property Executive - August 3rd, 2017
- Futurist | Definition of Futurist by Merriam-Webster - August 1st, 2017
- FutureWorld - Is your business FUTUREPROOF - July 31st, 2017
- The Futurist: Why human resources is a people's job - Human Resources Online - July 31st, 2017
- Marty Sklar, Disney Legend And Futurist, Dies At 83 | Gizmodo ... - Gizmodo Australia - July 31st, 2017
- Professional futurists converge on Seattle to pick up hints about what lies ahead - GeekWire - July 29th, 2017
- Geek of the Week: Futurist author Richard Yonck helps us better prepare for a rapidly changing world - GeekWire - July 29th, 2017
- A futurist tells us what life will probably look like in 2040 - New York Post - July 29th, 2017