ForNBA star Kevin Love and his fiance, model Kate Bock, home-cooked meals enjoyed at their dinner table are a treat. The engaged couple often finds that work takes them on the road, Love for the Cavaliers and Bockto far-flung beaches as a frequent SI Swimsuit issue model. Bock explains that one of their favorite rituals is tohave what they have dubbed "vegan nights,"especiallyonnightsafter his games. Eating plant-based helps the 6 foot 8 power forward recover faster (by eating tons of antioxidant-filled vegetables and whole foods) and sleepbetter (by staying away from meat and dairy), since on game nights dinner oftengets pushed toafter 11 p.m. Here, Bock shares everything she eats in a day, including the healthy meals she cooks forLove after he has burned well over 1,000 calories on the court.
Bock and Love's usual schedule involvescatching flights back andforth from New York, where her agency books fashion shoots, to Cleveland where Love holds court. In between the traveling chaos, Bock is busy prepping for 4 am call times, while Love sticks with his strict workout regime and drill workthat helped him become a five-time NBA all-star. The duohas no choice but to rely on proper nutrition to fuel up, with mealsserved by Bock with the help of Love, who she calls her "sous chef."
Love and Bock try to eat as many fruits and vegetables as they can every meal, but don't consider themselves plant-based. Bock may be one step closer to following a plant-based diet than Love since she's had a dairy allergy her whole life, and avoids dairy at all costs. For someone whorelies on dairy alternatives,Bock shares herfavorites, such asCocoJune plant-based yogurt.
She and Loveenjoy experimenting onvegan nights. They get home around 11 pm from 5-hour games because the "meals are easier to digest and we can get to sleep sooner." Bockfinds new recipes from cookbooks or online but she and her soon-to-be husband can't get enough of Daring Chicken, a meat alternative that tastesclose to the real thing. "Iwill normally whip together a large salad with chickpea croutons and add slices of the plant-based chicken orflip a switch and head in an Asian direction, with flavorful veggie-filled stir-fryswe both devour," she tells The Beet. Now, as an athlete incinerating more calories than the average person, these vegan mealsrefuelLove just fine, Bock adds.
Bock also uses vegan meals as her go-to diet before her various shoots, whether for a fitness magazine, an SI shoot, or a commercial ad. Herfitness goals couldn't be more different than those of her fianc. Bock focuses on eating clean, organic, foods to get lean, since the secret to a successful coverfor heris in not feeling or looking bloated. That means never eating airport food or the snacks served on the plane. When Bock travels to private islands to get the picture-perfect aspirational shot forSI, she's all about hydration on the flight. Sheeats before she leaves home and packs her own food, avoiding anything processed.
Here she shares everything she eats in a day, including almond butter pancakes made with Abby's Betterfor breakfaston the days when sheis not on set. To get the full lowdown on the diet habits of this power couple, weaskedBock for the details, so now you can incorporate their helpful tricks into your life whether or not you're looking to add calories like Love or look lean and toned, strong and healthy like Bock.
Kate Bock: It took me years to figure out how to eat in a way that I wassatisfied, and had energy. Now when I eat I feel good, and Iam enjoying my meals. Finding that balance can be challenging for everyoneno matter what they do in their career, or as their job. But once you figure out a way to eat, that works for you, that you feel good, it just makes everything else so much easier.
I've always incorporated almond butter into my eating, and I eat it in so many different ways every single day, whether it's as a scoop, just a spoonful of almond butter, as a snack on the go, or in a smoothie, or on pancakes, or finding different ways to incorporate it. I always include nut butter. So when I discovered Abby's and all of their flavors that really just brought a whole new spectrum of options in the almond butter world.
Kate Bock:I grew up eating mostly organic food, and I was very lucky that my mom was someone who really focused on giving us food with the least ingredients. We always had lots of fruits and vegetables, and we did eat pretty clean actually as a kid. I was probably more annoyed at that and wished I had moreprocessed foods, likeCheerios and stuff, but now that I'm an adult, I really appreciate that we were taught to eat healthy. I think that really helps me feel more drawn to those foods and notice the difference that when I veered from what I had grown up on, that I didn't feel as good or my skin didn't look as good, or I didn't have energy. Or when you're having a crash and you eat cookies or crackers or a soda pop with a lot of sugar that it doesn't actually make you feel better. So I think it just takes time and it's trial and error to see how you react to different foods and you really understand what they're doing for you.
Kate Bock:I'm dairy-free. I've been allergic to dairy since I was a kid, so I don't do any dairy. I do eat some chicken and fish, but actually, I eat lots of veggiesand as many fresh foods as I can. And j just eat things with the fewest ingredients, and I try to make as many things at home as I can.
Kate Bock: I drink Oatley. I find it's the best foaming non-dairy milk that I've found. So I like Oatley in my coffee, and I like Cocoa June coconut yogurt. They really nailed it. I think they're the best. I think I try not to specifically look for fake dairy things, Id rather just eat different options. I do have Kite Hill cream cheese. I do love that actually. Its a fake dairy cream cheese, but otherwise, I don't seek out fake dairy.
Kate Bock: I drink a ton of water alwaysfor your hair, skin, nails, everything. That always helps me feel my best. Also, I try to eat early, and not too late. Then I always try to pack food with me on a job, whether it means I'm flying. I never eat food on an airplane, unless it's my own, and the fresher, the food you can bring the better. On jobs, you just never really know what you're going to get when you get there. Sometimes they have great catering and sometimes not so much. So I always try to bring at least some snacks or some options in my bag so that I know I'm going to be covered because if you have a really long day and you're eating, not good quality food, it can really affect you.
Kate Bock: Yeah. Mostly.
Kate Bock: Me.He can be a sous chef. He does include himself as a sous chef, but he doesn't take the lead unless it's on a grill.
Kate Bock:We eat chicken basically for lunch every day, and we have big salads. I always have a lot of veggies. We make chickpea croutons, black bean croutons. We always have avocado. So we have a bunch of fun salad toppings in the fridge. So you can just throw a salad together really easily on the go here. I have daring fake chickenits my favorite vegan chicken. I like this lime one. And for dinners, we usually do chicken. We do fish or steak, or we have been doing vegan nights on game nights because we get home pretty late after games and eat dinner at 11 or so. And so just to kind of digest more easily and get to sleep sooner we go vegan.
Kate Bock:We've tried a bunch of different things. I love to look up new recipes online. We were doing beet noodles and kelp noodles. I liked the daring chicken a lot and just making a big salad or a bit like a stir fry. I love Asian-influenced meals. So anything Thai, I can just kind of make an alternative to the meat and use nuts or daring chicken or just find a way to just avoid the meat aspect of it.
Kate Bock:We love the product,soit really made sense,for both Kevin and I separately and together. And I think when you invest in a brand like this, it's really important that we care about the brand, and we learn about the brand, and we are actually consumers of the product. So we can kind of help with ideas for the future for different products that we can help promote it, that we cook with it, that we kind of try it and use it in recipes and can give any sort of tips or tricks to the public or back to Abby as some feedback. So it's kind of been really fun to get involved in the brand and give our opinions and, and really enjoy it.
Kate Bock:We started trying Abbys a year or two ago. And then we've been working on the investment for the last year.
Kate Bock:I just find theirs clean. It has not too many ingredients. They really tried to focus on using nature's ingredients in the product for the flavors. And she has so many different flavors. So almond butter isn't just almond butter, almond butter is date pecan or French toast or coffee. It can turn into so many different things. When I cook with it, I think it's just more fun. It kind of gives you a different option for every day, instead of feeling like you're eating the same thing all the time.
Kate Bock: Mine is coffee almond. I love that one. I could eat spoonfuls of that. Or I can drizzle it on my Coco June yogurts. I put it in smoothies. I love it. I put it on oatmeal. I can just throw that in a bag and have it as a snack on a plane or on a shoot. I just find it so delicious and always something I'm drawn to.
- Exploring the Elizabeth Islands (and swimming with cows) - The Boston Globe - July 7th, 2021
- Holiday on Welsh private island goes viral on TikTok and stuns people around the world - Wales Online - July 7th, 2021
- Beautiful Scottish island goes on sale for the same price as Edinburgh city centre flat - Edinburgh Live - July 7th, 2021
- Secluded Camp with 4,000 ft of Lake Frontage in NY's Adirondacks Scheduled for Luxury Auction July 16th - PRNewswire - July 7th, 2021
- Ed Sheeran had to be talked out of buying an island and moving to Ghana - NME - July 7th, 2021
- The private Scottish island you can buy for the same price as a London flat - My London - July 7th, 2021
- 17 Sunny Photos of the Royal Family at the Beach - TownandCountrymag.com - July 7th, 2021
- Traveling to the Maldives during Covid-19: What you need to know before you go - KTVZ - July 7th, 2021
- What's New In The Bahamas In July - PRNewswire - PRNewswire - July 7th, 2021
- Revisiting The Island of Dr. Moreau: Marlon Brandos fever dream - Far Out Magazine - July 7th, 2021
- The Best Room at ... The Four Seasons Anguilla - TownandCountrymag.com - July 7th, 2021
- I went on Royal Caribbean's 7-day vaccinated cruise to the Bahamas - Business Insider - July 7th, 2021
- If you love travel then Netflix's The World's Most Amazing Vacation Rentals is your next watch - Woman & Home - July 7th, 2021
- Taxing tourists is helping the Balearic islands to give back to sustainable initiatives - Euronews - June 28th, 2021
- Escape to one of these 10 New England islands for your next vacation - USA Today 10Best - June 28th, 2021
- Some neighborhoods in DC can be 20 degrees hotter than other areas. Here's why - WUSA9.com - June 28th, 2021
- Where is the Love Island villa and can I stay there? - Manchester Evening News - June 28th, 2021
- Calilo a work of art on the Greek island of Ios - Travel Weekly - June 27th, 2021
- The perfect getaway: An interview with Luis D. Ortiz of Netflix's The World's Most Amazing Vacations Rentals - Charleston Post Courier - June 27th, 2021
- Yugo Private Aviation expands in Southeast Asia - Business Wire - June 27th, 2021
- Rare chance to own a renovated cottage on a private Welsh island - Wales Online - June 27th, 2021
- Would you like to stay in an igloo when your trip resumes? - Ohionewstime.com - June 27th, 2021
- Private aviation firm Yugo pursuing growth in PHL - BusinessWorld Online - June 27th, 2021
- Behind the Scenes: On the Hunt for the Real Ghislaine Maxwell - Rolling Stone - June 27th, 2021
- This Private Island for Rent in Greece is Heaven on Earth A private island available to - Greek Reporter - June 23rd, 2021
- Netflixs New Series "The Worlds Most Amazing Vacation Rentals" Is Giving Us the Travel Inspiration We Need - HouseBeautiful.com - June 23rd, 2021
- Find The Worlds Most Amazing Vacation Rentals on Netflix - The Detroit News - June 23rd, 2021
- The Ritz-Carlton Debuts In Turks & Caicos Hospitality Net - Hospitality Net - June 23rd, 2021
- Library bookmark contest... - Journal of the San Juan Islands - June 23rd, 2021
- Why I had no hesitations booking 2 cruises this summer - Business Insider - June 23rd, 2021
- An AZ of Greek islands and how to plan the perfect trip - Telegraph.co.uk - Telegraph.co.uk - June 23rd, 2021
- Bill Clinton and Jeffrey Epstein really are more scandalous than Prince Andrew Film Daily - Film Daily - June 23rd, 2021
- How to Rent Out Four of the Most Exclusive Private Islands on Earth - InsideHook - June 15th, 2021
- Disney is Still Moving Forward with Second Private Destination in the Bahamas - Cruise Hive - June 15th, 2021
- 7-Day Sailing Trip to The British Virgin Islands - AFAR Media - June 15th, 2021
- Why Private Travel Is The Newest Trend For Vacationers Private Travel - Upscale Living Magazine - June 15th, 2021
- Where Sun, Sand and Splendor Are Still to Be Discovered - The New York Times - June 15th, 2021
- A Japanese-Inspired Villa Hits the Market on the British Virgin Islands - Dwell - June 15th, 2021
- A Birding Adventure in Arizonas Sky Islands - The New York Times - June 15th, 2021
- Financing considerations for take-private transactions in the Cayman Islands - Lexology - June 15th, 2021
- Turks and Caicos Islands issued a Level 1 Notice from the CDC - eTurboNews | Trends | Travel News - June 15th, 2021
- A local's ultimate guide to visiting St. Martin, an island in the Caribbean - Insider - June 15th, 2021
- Hudson Valley On The Water: 5 Islands Park Kayak Excursions - Patch.com - June 15th, 2021
- Private Funding of Legal Services Act, 2020: the codification and expansion of litigation funding in the Cayman Islands - Lexology - June 2nd, 2021
- Cruises are finally returning to U.S. ports here's what will be different post-COVID - MarketWatch - June 2nd, 2021
- First Look: The Ritz-Carlton Opens Its First Resort in the Maldives - Robb Report - June 2nd, 2021
- Traveling to the Maldives during Covid-19: What you need to know before you go - KRDO - June 2nd, 2021
- Culture Talk: Lisa Howie on Organizing Inaugural Atlantic World Art Fair, Online Event Features Works by Artists From Caribbean and Atlantic Islands -... - June 2nd, 2021
- OMG, I Want to Rent That House: Ibiza, Spain The Daily Beast - Daily Beast - June 2nd, 2021
- Join the luxury villa club with Stay One Degree - The Week UK - June 2nd, 2021
- Unparalleled Luxury Embraces the Circle of Island Life with the Debut of the Ritz-Carlton Maldives, Fari Islands - Yahoo Finance - June 2nd, 2021
- Tourism is Back and it Starts in The Seychelles With a Boom! - Al-Bawaba - June 2nd, 2021
- Post-COVID cruising: The ships are back at sea, but where can they go? - Yahoo News - June 2nd, 2021
- Everything you need to know about a Fiji and Pacific Islands travel bubble, and which islands to visit - Nine - June 2nd, 2021
- Open letter to the Lopez community | Guest... - Islands' Weekly - June 2nd, 2021
- 10 Private Islands That You Can Rent on Airbnb - Yahoo Lifestyle - May 24th, 2021
- L'Voyage Expands with New Shareholder and New Plans - Aviation International News - May 24th, 2021
- How to Build Anywhere in the Caribbean - Caribbean Journal - May 24th, 2021
- COMPETITION: Win a spectacular private island staycation in idyllic Clew Bay for you and your housemates - JOE.ie - May 24th, 2021
- Survey reveals who's willing to cruise - News - University of Florida - University of Florida - May 24th, 2021
- Here's Everything Worth A Watch On Netflix In June 2021 - Secret Manchester - May 24th, 2021
- Yorkshire jeweller becomes an unexpected tourist attraction - in the Falkland Islands - The Yorkshire Post - May 24th, 2021
- The Worlds Largest Private Residential Yacht Will Be Back on the Water This Summer - Robb Report - May 24th, 2021
- WATCH: This New Netflix Series Takes You Inside the World's Most Amazing Vacation Home Rentals - Yahoo Entertainment - May 24th, 2021
- Where Proof of COVID-19 Vaccination Is Required - Healthline - May 24th, 2021
- Mackinac Islands Sip n Sail boat offers new cruises, including 5 oclock Somewhere - MLive.com - May 24th, 2021
- The Best Outer Banks Vacation Rentals 2021, from Beachfront Bungalows to Family-Friendly Retreats - Cond Nast Traveler - May 24th, 2021
- Traveling to the Maldives during Covid-19: What you need to know before you go - Gwinnettdailypost.com - May 11th, 2021
- Pandemic, where are we heading to? - The Times of India Blog - May 11th, 2021
- Heres how to book a glamorous spot to go glamping - MarketWatch - May 11th, 2021
- Rarotonga bubble ready: Cook Islands' advice to Kiwi visitors - New Zealand Herald - May 11th, 2021
- Europe woos tourists with cash, cafes and Covid-free islands - Yahoo Singapore News - May 11th, 2021
- Private parking spaces in Provincetown near $100K each in densest parts of town - Wicked Local - May 11th, 2021
- He was on vacation that cost 15,000 Johnson was examined - asumetech - May 11th, 2021
- School Garden Iniative Continues To Grow - Government of the Virgin Islands - May 11th, 2021
- WATCH: The R1.8m-a-night private island that Melinda Gates rented during divorce - CapeTown ETC - May 9th, 2021
- What you need to know if you are thinking of cruising this summer - Sunbury Daily Item - May 9th, 2021
- Maldives imposes night curfew after steep jump in COVID-19 infections - Reuters - May 9th, 2021
- Canary Islands Startup To Be Called Latittude Hub - Simple Flying - May 9th, 2021
- The 6 Best Glamping Destinations To Enjoy Nature With Luxury Amenities - The Manual - May 9th, 2021