The regular season is over two-thirds finished, and the playoffs start in 53 days.
Unsurprisingly, the front of the Defensive Player of the Year race has remained largely stagnant as 2019-20 enters its final stretch. But theres ample time for movement among the obvious top-four candidates, with factors like injuries, lineup changes and even overall team performance poised to play a large part in the inevitable shuffle.
Heres where Defensive Player of the Year watch stands as spring quickly dawns.
Robert Covington Houston Rockets
The leagues stingiest small-ball lineups have never played all that small.
The bygone Golden State Warriors, at least before adding Kevin Durant, routinely doled out crunch-time lineups absent a defender taller than 6-foot-8. The length and physicality of Draymond Green, Andre Iguodala, Harrison Barnes and Klay Thompson allowed the Warriors to switch across positions with near impunity.
But a quartet of like-sized defenders didnt give the Death Lineup its name or defensive effectiveness. Golden States ability to compensate for limitations provided by the presence of Stephen Curry and a collective lack of height is what made the teams closing five special, a reality best explained by the off-ball genius of all-time defenders like Green and Iguodala.
The Houston Rockets, embracing small-ball like no team ever before, dont possess a single defender at that exalted level of historical greatness. Just two of Mike DAntonis top-eight players, in fact, are considered an objective plus on that side of the ball irrespective of surrounding circumstances. But the Rockets downsized defense has held up well thus far regardless, and Robert Covingtons rare, all-court impact as a help defender is arguably the biggest reason why.
Covington, 11th in deflections per game this season, was credited with three blocks in his new teams convincing road win over the Utah Jazz on Saturday. The film reveals just how large those blocks loomed to the games outcome and how unlikely they would have been for most any other 6-foot-8 wing challenging Rudy Gobert at the rim.
Covington is often mislabeled as a traditional stopper. Hes certainly a better option checking superstar alpha dogs than an average wing and boasts the versatility to guard pretty much anyone without being consistently exploited.
The real scope of Covingtons influence extends to All-Defense levels, though, because of his imminent penchant for disrupting action away from the offenses initial point of attack. Thats a trait especially valuable for a team like Houston, whose switch-heavy scheme inevitably lends itself to double-teams and a losing numbers game on the backside of the play.
Through six games, the Rockets defensive rating with Covington on the floor is a team-best 102.5, a hair worse than the Milwaukee Bucks league-leading mark. Theyre allowing nearly 20 points per 100 possessions more when he sits, easily the highest discrepancy on the roster.
Those numbers portray Covington as a more valuable defender than is realistic. Not even basketballs best rim-protectors make that big a singular difference all by themselves. Still, theyre telling of Covingtons unique defensive worth to Houston and indicative of the game-changing off-ball plays whether highlight-reel or barely-noticed he makes on a nightly basis for basketballs smallest defense.
The Philadelphia 76ers New Rotation
Good on Brett Brown for making the necessary change that confirms Philadelphias odd-ball offseason was a mistake.
There might be a world in which Joel Embiid and Al Horford thrive playing together, owning the paint on both ends, exploiting mismatches from the inside out and affording ball handlers ample space to operate with canny screens and dribble hand-offs. But this one definitely isnt it, not with Ben Simmons cramping the floor by refusing to shoot outside the paint and Horfords three-ball falling at a rate well below career norms.
The theoretical silver lining, even if its one you have to squint to see, is that the Sixers arent taking anything off the table by moving one of their best players to the bench. Embiid is almost a top-five defense unto himself. The hope is that negative fallout defensively from replacing Horford with a wing like Furkan Korkmaz or Glenn Robinson III proves minimal, while additional spacing and off-dribble dynamism on the other end juices an offense thats lagged far behind its talent level all season long.
Fortunately for Philadelphia, theres ample evidence supporting the viability of those assumptions. The Sixers have defended at a league-best level with Embiid on the court whether Horford plays next to him or not, surrendering equal effective field goal percentages of 50.2. Their offensive rating spikes from a putrid 98.9 to an average 108.8 when Embiid mans the middle sans Horford, with the formers true shooting percentage bumping nearly four points to just below the hallowed 60 percent threshold. Philadelphia remains elite defensively with Horford at center, too, surrendering 104.8 points per 100 possessions, a number that would rank third in the league overall.
Obviously, the real test for the Sixers revamped rotation which is still very much in flux even before accounting for Simmons back injury, by the way will come in the playoffs. But this team was always built more for the postseason than 82-game grind, and Philadelphia proved last spring that its more than comfortable knocking jaws in a half-court series.
Should that prove the case again, dont be surprised if Brown reverts to relying on units featuring both Embiid and Horford. Either way, what a luxury that the Sixers in-season about-face prompts little to no concern about their ability to hold up defensively.
Giannis Antetokounmpo Milwaukee Bucks
The Bucks dont play a single negative defender.
Eric Bledsoe and Brook Lopez deserve All-Defense consideration. No team in the East has a better collection of versatile, experienced wing defenders than Khris Middleton, Wesley Matthews and Marvin Williams. The defensive bona fides of George Hill, Robin Lopez and Ersan Ilyasova need no explanation. Donte DiVincenzo has quietly become one of the most disruptive perimeter defenders in the league. Pat Connaughtons 2.5 percent block rate this season ranks sixth among all guards since 2010.
Mike Budenholzer and his staff deserve immense credit. No defense in the NBA is more connected than Milwaukees, moving in perfect sync on the flight of the ball and letting questionable shooters launch wide-open from deep while protecting the rim at all costs.
But the above personnels unrelenting symbiosis and commitment to scheme isnt what takes the Bucks defense from the top of the league to historical greatness. Giannis Antetokounmpo, of course, owns that distinction all by himself.
Its not always easy for the naked eye to deduce Antetokounmpos defensive value. Hes rarely tasked with shutting down his teams top offensive threat, instead primarily used as an omnipresent deterrent away from the ball. But no matter who Antetokounmpo is guarding, theyre noticeably hesitant to attack him.
Gobert leads the NBA in contested shots per game with 20.5, while Pascal Siakam ranks 20th by averaging 14.4 contested field goal attempts. Jonathan Isaac, another multi-positional defensive monster, is 52nd in that category. Antetokounmpo, by contrast, finds himself outside the top-100 in contested shots per game.
Dont be fooled by his lackluster standing there relative to other dominant defenders, though. As the New Orleans Pelicans young franchise players learned earlier this month, going at Antetokounmpo is such a losing proposition that its best avoided altogether.
Is any other player in basketball capable of meeting Zion Williamson at the mountaintop and coming down left standing, let alone completely swallowing Brandon Ingram one-on-one in the same game? No way.
Antetokounmpo is a shoo-in for his second consecutive MVP. The case for his first Defensive Player of the Year award is nearly as strong, even if its much less discussed.
5. Ben Simmons, Philadelphia 76ers
4. Anthony Davis, Los Angeles Lakers
3. Rudy Gobert, Utah Jazz
2. Joel Embiid, Philadelphia 76ers
1. Giannis Antetokounmpo, Milwaukee Bucks
Honorable Mention: Kawhi Leonard, LA Clippers; Jayson Tatum, Boston Celtics; Robert Covington, Houston Rockets; P.J. Tucker, Houston Rockets; Bam Adebayo, Miami HEAT; Toronto Raptors Pascal Siakam, Kyle Lowry, O.G. Anunoby
See the original post here:
- Flamboyant fishes evolved an explosion of color as seas rose and fell - Science News Magazine - April 4th, 2021
- How the Dinosaur-Killing Asteroid Spurred the Evolution of the Modern Rainforest - Smithsonian Magazine - April 4th, 2021
- Bones evolved to act like batteries, 400-million-year-old fish suggest - National Geographic - April 4th, 2021
- New study shows dry Kalahari was more important to human evolution than previously thought - ThePrint - April 4th, 2021
- Opinion | Humanitys Awesome, Terrifying Takeover of Evolution - The New York Times - April 4th, 2021
- Evolution and Creation Wellness Studio in Olympia Develops a New You - ThurstonTalk - April 4th, 2021
- ReDeFining growth: Innovative trends impact evolution of blockchain tech - Cointelegraph - April 4th, 2021
- Analysis: Look beyond the QB derby to the process driving Notre Dame's offensive evolution - IndyStar - April 4th, 2021
- How Digital Workplace Practitioners Can Shape the Evolution of the Hybrid Workplace - CMSWire - April 4th, 2021
- Introducing the Evolution of GPS Location Monitoring - PRNewswire - April 4th, 2021
- The Evolution of Banking: 2021 and Beyond - The Financial Brand - April 4th, 2021
- Fossils provide new insights into the evolution of bones - Advanced Science News - April 4th, 2021
- The Trouble With Being Tall: Giraffes Exceptional Anatomy and Suite of Evolutionary Adaptations - SciTechDaily - April 4th, 2021
- A History of the Human Brain From the Sea Sponge to CRISPR, How Our Brain Evolved - Psychiatric Times - April 4th, 2021
- 'RSS: Evolution from an Organization to a Movement' book review: View from the inside out - The New Indian Express - April 4th, 2021
- Ex-Blizzard devs making RTS game that feels like an evolution of Warcraft 3 and StarCraft 2 - PCGamesN - April 4th, 2021
- Evolution of e-commerce in 25 years: towards sustainable packaging - Packaging Europe - April 4th, 2021
- Karim Versus Benzema: The Evolution of Real Madrids Striker - Managing Madrid - April 4th, 2021
- Janice Beetle Releases Second Book, 'Willful Evolution' - Business West - April 4th, 2021
- Webinar 4 May: Smart Metering | The Evolution of STS | ESI-Africa.com - ESI Africa - April 4th, 2021
- Harvard closes evolution center after finding connections to Jeffrey Epstein - The Guardian - March 31st, 2021
- Disentangling Milky Way Evolution with Disentangled Representation Learning, a New Tool for Chemical Tagging - Astrobites - March 31st, 2021
- The Subtle Evolution of American Smoked Beer - VinePair - March 31st, 2021
- Octopus research yields insight into the evolution of sleep - Reuters - March 31st, 2021
- 50 Photos of Britney Spears' Hair Evolution Through the Years - Cosmopolitan - March 31st, 2021
- Office Evolution: The Woodlands - Save a Life with CPR - Woodlands Online - March 31st, 2021
- Watch to see the evolution of chase sequences over the last 100 years - DIYphotography - March 31st, 2021
- Evolution deal with Cordish Gaming in Pennsylvania - InterGame - March 31st, 2021
- What Madagascars tiny chameleons, frogs reveal about evolution of miniaturised animals - Firstpost - March 31st, 2021
- Technological evolution in the retail sector: Past, present, and future - YourStory - March 31st, 2021
- Opinion | From Dixiecrat until today. The evolution of the Republican Party - alreporter.com - March 31st, 2021
- Guest column: The evolution of Bend's parking | Opinion | bendbulletin.com - The Bulletin - March 31st, 2021
- Escapism, identity, and the evolution of TikTok aesthetics - McGill Tribune - March 31st, 2021
- This Is The Evolution Of The VW Camper Van | HotCars - HotCars - March 31st, 2021
- Instagram is dying: The fall and evolution of Instagram - Chargerbulletin - March 31st, 2021
- The Evolution of Distributed Systems on Kubernetes - InfoQ.com - March 31st, 2021
- Documentary Showcases 20 Years Of Fair Trade Evolution In Long Beach - Gazette Newspapers - March 31st, 2021
- UFC 260: Francis Ngannou must display unseen evolution of his game to get past Stipe Miocic and secure title - CBS Sports - March 31st, 2021
- Architects On Their Critics, Evolution, And Why Adam Levine Can Shove It - Junkee - March 31st, 2021
- Scientists Repeat Century-Old Experiment to Reveal Evidence of Evolutionary Rescue in the Wild - SciTechDaily - March 31st, 2021
- Timeline: tracing the evolution of hyperloop rail technology - Railway Technology - March 31st, 2021
- Blogger Curly Nikki on the Evolution of the Natural Hair Movement: 'It's Like Night and Day' - Yahoo Entertainment - March 31st, 2021
- The evolution of the TV customer - The Drum - March 31st, 2021
- The evolution of the men's suit - Cyprus Mail - March 31st, 2021
- Coronavirus evolution in bats may have resulted in highly efficient human pathogen - Modern Healthcare - March 16th, 2021
- Can Evolution Be Predicted? Building a Bridge Between Mathematics and Biology - SciTechDaily - March 16th, 2021
- The evolution of the corporate VPN: How COVID-19 has redefined VPN security - Security Magazine - March 16th, 2021
- The next evolution of the supply chain will be all about visibility RetailWire - RetailWire - March 16th, 2021
- April D. Ryan Reflects on Her Evolution as a Journalist - Essence - March 16th, 2021
- Bloodsucking-fish fossils overturn once-popular theory about our evolution - CBC.ca - March 16th, 2021
- Riding the evolution curve of social media - The New Indian Express - March 16th, 2021
- The Evolution of Water Resources Research - Eos - March 16th, 2021
- Supremely Rare 1986 Ford RS200 Evolution Hits The Auction Block - Ford Authority - March 16th, 2021
- Karthiks Take: The evolution of NBA offense - UConn Daily Campus - March 16th, 2021
- 6 Ways AV Professionals Can Prepare for the Evolution of ICT - rAVe [PUBS] - March 16th, 2021
- The diversity and evolution of microbial dissimilatory phosphite oxidation - pnas.org - March 16th, 2021
- Inclusivity and evolution are inherent traits of Indian culture - Hindustan Times - March 16th, 2021
- Evolution of life in the oceans shadowy twilight zone may be linked to climate change - BBC Focus Magazine - March 16th, 2021
- The Evolution and Changing Role of Safeties - Sports Illustrated - March 16th, 2021
- Nuno Espirito Santo on Wolves' evolution, dealing with the coronavirus pandemic and the fight against racism - Sky Sports - March 16th, 2021
- The Evolution of Vape Technology -- A revolution for the E-cig industry inspired by Nikola Tesla - PRNewswire - March 16th, 2021
- 10 Years In, Explore the Syrian Conflict in These FRONTLINE Docs - FRONTLINE - March 16th, 2021
- Roy Hibbert interview: Two-time All-Star talks about the evolution of big men in the NBA - Firstpost - March 16th, 2021
- Plant evolution driven by interactions with symbiotic and pathogenic microbes - Science Magazine - February 21st, 2021
- Phage-assisted evolution of botulinum neurotoxin proteases with reprogrammed specificity - Science Magazine - February 21st, 2021
- How Will the Coronavirus Evolve? - Scientific American - February 21st, 2021
- SMOKERS CORNER: THE EVOLUTION OF SECULARISM - DAWN.com - February 21st, 2021
- Cheat Code: Cracking Cancer's Evolution to Help Defeat It - Medscape - February 21st, 2021
- Ink Evolution - Flathead Beacon - February 21st, 2021
- Pokmon: Every Trade Evolution In The Series | Screen Rant - Screen Rant - February 21st, 2021
- From Stylus to Self-Expression: Looking Back at the Evolution of the S Pen - Samsung Global Newsroom - February 21st, 2021
- No. 4 Billings Skyview shows continuing evolution in win over Billings Senior - 406mtsports.com - February 21st, 2021
- Two Years of Berhalter: Tactical Evolution - Stars and Stripes FC - February 21st, 2021
- The 60-Year Evolution of Psycho's Norman Bates - Gizmodo - February 21st, 2021
- Transition to green energy needs to be an evolution, not a revolution - The Robesonian - February 21st, 2021
- Advertising Through The Years: The Evolution of Attention - AlleyWatch - February 21st, 2021
- Evolution of Electric Vehicles Transforming the Global Automotive Lubricants Industry - GlobeNewswire - February 21st, 2021
- Workplace Must Adapt Or Die, But Evolution Was Never Optional - Bisnow - February 18th, 2021
- The Evolution of the OZ Marketplace, with Peter Truog - OpportunityDb - February 18th, 2021
- DNA Energy Code: Survival of the Fittest Phenomenon Is Only Part of the Evolution Equation - SciTechDaily - February 18th, 2021