Posted: May. 27, 2020 7:00 am Updated: May. 27, 2020 12:01 pm
CAPE CANAVERAL, Fla. (AP) NASA is rolling out the International Space Stations red carpet for Tom Cruise to make a movie in orbit.
The space agency's administrator, Jim Bridenstine, said before Wednesdays planned launch of two NASA astronauts aboard a SpaceX rocket that Elon Musks company is already getting customers eager to blast off.
Cruise is one of them.
Bridenstine said hell leaving it to Cruise and SpaceX to provide the mission details.
I will tell you this: NASA has been in talks with Tom Cruise and, of course, his team, and we will do everything we can to make it a successful mission, including opening up the International Space Station," he told The Associated Press.
Asked about Cruise filming on the space station, Musk told CBS This Morning, Actually, I think that remains to be seen. We are supportive and I think NASA is supportive of anything that captures the imagination of the public.
Bridenstine said the whole reason NASA created this commercial marketplace is so SpaceX, Boeing and other private companies can attract customers besides the U.S. government. That will drive down costs to American taxpayers, he said, and increase access to space for all types of people celebrities included.
I don't admit this very often ... but I was inspired to become a Navy pilot because when I was in elementary school, I watched the movie Top Gun,'" the 44-year-old Bridenstine said.
Cruise starred as Navy pilot Pete Maverick Mitchell in the 1986 film. A sequel is due out later this year.
The question is, Can Tom Cruise make a new movie that inspires the next generation Elon Musk. And if he can do that, then were all for it. NASA is all in," Bridenstine said.
A message to Cruises representative was not immediately returned.
The Associated Press Health and Science Department receives support from the Howard Hughes Medical Institutes Department of Science Education. The AP is solely responsible for all content.
Read the rest here:
NASA chief "all in" for Tom Cruise to film on space station - Herald-Whig
- SpaceX will launch its 1st Starlink satellites of 2021 on Wednesday. Here's how to watch. - Space.com - January 19th, 2021
- NASA will test-fire its 1st SLS megarocket for moon missions today. Here's how to watch. - Space.com - January 19th, 2021
- Space Coast tourism expected to bounce back in 2021 - FOX 35 Orlando - January 19th, 2021
- Boeings Other Big Problem: Fixing Its Space Program - The Wall Street Journal - January 19th, 2021
- China's iSpace advances with IPO plans, reusable launcher landing leg tests - SpaceNews - January 19th, 2021
- A space station? Space junk? Or something more 'extraterrestrial'. Unidentified flying object leaves Overton woman asking questions - Whitchurch... - January 19th, 2021
- Bordeaux-ver the moon: French wine to return from the space station - News Landed - January 19th, 2021
- Next-generation Dragon cargo spacecraft returns from space station - SpaceNews - January 15th, 2021
- Bad weather on Earth delays SpaceX Dragon's return from space station - Space.com - January 15th, 2021
- Debate Rages Over Whether Single Speeding Cheeto Could Destroy Space Station - Futurism - January 15th, 2021
- China to begin construction of space station this year - Spaceflight Now - January 15th, 2021
- China Should Build a Space Station Orbiting the Moon, Father of Lunar Mission Says - Caixin Global - January 15th, 2021
- How Does Long-Term Spaceflight Affect Vision? - Texas A&M Today - Texas A&M University Today - January 15th, 2021
- Japanese Space Agency to Make the Systems for the Lunar Space Station Habitat - autoevolution - January 15th, 2021
- Gateway Foundation Gives a Detailed Update on its Voyager Station Concept - Universe Today - January 15th, 2021
- Great Scotty! The ashes of Star Treks James Doohan were smuggled onto the International Space Station - Daily Star Trek News - January 15th, 2021
- Twelve bottles of wine went to space now its almost time to taste them - SlashGear - January 15th, 2021
- Liftoff! Astronauts Head To Space Station On SpaceX Rocket ... - December 19th, 2020
- Astronaut Tom Marshburn '82 to Pilot SpaceX Mission to International Space Station - Davidson News - December 19th, 2020
- Santa Claus to fly by the International Space Station - GPS World magazine - December 19th, 2020
- Russian astronauts still battling air leak on International Space Station | Daily Sabah - Daily Sabah - December 19th, 2020
- Canada inks deal with US to send astronaut around the moon for new space station - Daily Commercial News - December 19th, 2020
- Commentary | Tim Peake's 2015 space station mission gave UK science a long-lasting shot in the arm - SpaceNews - December 19th, 2020
- Utilizing the International Space Station to enable humans to reach Mars - The Hill - December 19th, 2020
- Canadian astronauts will start flying to the moon in 2023 with NASA's Artemis missions - Space.com - December 19th, 2020
- How people spend an isolated Christmas in space, on submarines and in Antarctica - iNews - December 19th, 2020
- Experience zero-gravity without going to space - WPVI-TV - December 19th, 2020
- NASA shows what snow-covered Himalayas look like from space - The Indian Express - December 19th, 2020
- Check out these amazing views of Earth shot from the space station - Digital Trends - December 19th, 2020
- Seeds from Taiwan plant species launched to space station - Taiwan News - December 8th, 2020
- Astronauts harvest radishes grown aboard the International Space Station - CNN - December 4th, 2020
- Art projects from 2 students head to the International Space Station - KCTV Kansas City - December 4th, 2020
- Celebrating 20 years of space station research, discovery | Technology Today - Theredstonerocket - December 4th, 2020
- HemoCue Lab-Accuracy: Soon Counting White Blood Cells in Outer Space. Innovative Technology Onboard SpaceX Falcon 9 Mission CRS-21 - Bound for... - December 4th, 2020
- Proposed New Russian Space Station Will Be Able to Monitor the Entire World - Space Daily - December 4th, 2020
- ISS astronauts celebrated Thanksgiving aboard the space station - SlashGear - December 4th, 2020
- Op-ed | China, the moon, Mars, and beyond an opportunity for human cooperation - SpaceNews - December 4th, 2020
- Theres Fabric on the Space Station That Scientists Are Using to Listen for Space Dust Impacts - Universe Today - December 4th, 2020
- NASA TV Coverage Set for Next Space Station Resupply Mission with SpaceX - The Southern Maryland Chronicle - December 4th, 2020
- Find out how were working toward living and working in space at TC Sessions: Space 2020 - TechCrunch - December 4th, 2020
- Chinese probe heads back to Earth after leaving moon's surface - The Guardian - December 4th, 2020
- Solar power stations in space could be the answer to our energy needs - Space.com - December 4th, 2020
- Orbits explained: It's hard to get into space -- but great once you're there - CNET - December 4th, 2020
- Russia to design space station section for 3D-printing - United News of India - December 4th, 2020
- See the International Space Station tonight and 4 planets - 69News WFMZ-TV - October 4th, 2020
- Space Station Crew Awakened by Flight Controllers After Vexing Air Leak Appeared to Grow in Size - SciTechDaily - October 4th, 2020
- When and where to see the International Space Station above Cornwall this week - Falmouth Packet - October 4th, 2020
- New crew will launch to the International Space Station in October - CNN - July 5th, 2020
- Astronauts are taking a spacewalk outside their space station today. Watch it live! - Space.com - July 5th, 2020
- Looked Like I Was Walking Into A Space Station: Thrill-Seekers In New Jersey Flock To Six Flags Great Adventures Reopening - CBS Philly - July 5th, 2020
- Op-ed | On the verge of a new era for space exploration? Assessing the impact of the ongoing crisis - SpaceNews - July 5th, 2020
- How will astronauts poop on the moon? New NASA challenge aims to flush this mystery - Space.com - July 5th, 2020
- Its like being on a space station: Aftab Shivdasani on shooting amid coronavirus pandemic - The Indian Express - July 5th, 2020
- Are we making spacecraft too autonomous? - MIT Technology Review - July 5th, 2020
- SpaceX Vs Blue Origin: Who Wins The Space Race - Analytics India Magazine - July 5th, 2020
- Pacific Northwest Bathed in Green and White - nasa.gov - July 5th, 2020
- Spuds and space: NASA and Idaho have a long history - East Idaho News - July 5th, 2020
- Balloon trips to the edge of space by 2021 - CNN - July 5th, 2020
- SpaceX is launching an advanced GPS satellite for the US Space Force today. Here's how to watch. - Space.com - July 5th, 2020
- Boeing shifts its team leaders for space station and Starliner space programs - GeekWire - June 20th, 2020
- The International Space Station is getting a new toilet this year - Space.com - June 20th, 2020
- Astronauts: Falcon 9 rocket was totally different ride than the space shuttle - WITI FOX 6 Milwaukee - June 20th, 2020
- Astronauts and NASA pay homage to Juneteenth - Space.com - June 20th, 2020
- Green glow seen in the atmosphere of Mars, similar to Earth's from space station - Firstpost - June 20th, 2020
- Astronaut and Maine Native Jessica Meir Talks About Experience in Space - NECN - June 20th, 2020
- They Want to Sell Balloon Rides 19 Miles Up. Havent We Heard This Before? - The New York Times - June 20th, 2020
- Students chat with the ISS from their homes - Brentsville District High - June 20th, 2020
- You Can Make Money in Space on Earth - DailyWealth - June 20th, 2020
- What is the 'zero gravity' that people experience in the vomit comet or space flight? - The Conversation US - June 20th, 2020
- Cosmic 'Lighthouses' to Help Space Travellers Find Ways to Moon, Mars - The Weather Channel - June 20th, 2020
- SpaceX is building a floating, superheavy-class spaceport in the Gulf of Mexico - Houston Chronicle - June 20th, 2020
- What Does it Mean to Be a Space Architect? - Universe Today - June 20th, 2020
- Whatever happened to reforming space traffic management? - Politico - June 20th, 2020
- Livestream: NASAs SpaceX Demo-2 launch to the International Space Station - Boston.com - May 27th, 2020
- In photos: The Expedition 63 mission to the International Space Station - Space.com - May 27th, 2020
- Look up: International Space Station visible above Thunder Bay in coming weeks - CBC.ca - May 27th, 2020
- International Space Station visible over Devon and Cornwall tonight - Plymouth Live - May 27th, 2020
- Here's how to see the International Space Station passing over Bristol this weekend - Bristol Live - May 27th, 2020
- You can view the International Space Station from Vancouver tonight - Vancouver Is Awesome - May 27th, 2020
- The next SpaceX launch will be the company's first with people on board - CNBC - May 18th, 2020