Murder House Flip. To hear the name of Quibis best-titled show is to fall into a trance from which there is no awakening. It is to contemplate the boundaries of existence, to say nothing of the possibilities of short-form video content. It is a title that is self-explanatory and yet gives rise to a million questions, so perfect a reduction of the impulses behind several subgenres of reality TV that it sounds like a parody, one all the more beautiful because it happens to be true. Murder House Flip. Say it loud and theres music playing. Say it soft, and its almost like praying.
In the following interview, which has been condensed and edited for clarity, Slate talked to Murder House Flip showrunner Star Price, a veteran of shows like The Amazing Race and Penn and Teller: Bullshit!, about the delicate balance of mixing home improvement and true crime, whether this is the best or the worst time to launch a new streaming service, and just what is a Quibi, anyway?
Sam Adams: Let me start by asking you first, who came up with the title for Murder House Flip and how big a drink did they pour themselves when that happened?
Star Price: Josh Berman, one of our executive producerswho worked on CSI, Bones, a lot of other showscame up with the idea with Sony Television. I was brought in because Ive done a lot of documentary, serious documentary, including true crime, and Ive done reality, including home makeover shows. Because this is kind of the merging of the two, thats how it all came together.
What did you like about the idea?
Well, in my business, how many times do you get a chance to do something thats never been done before?
Quibi episodes are designed to be watched both horizontally and vertically. The app lets you switch back and forth just by rotating your phone. Was it hard to shoot for that environment?
Youre thinking of that the whole time. You also have to try to design moments that will pop in horizontal and also unique moments that will pop in vertical, because you want people to be able to be able to enjoy it either way, exclusively. Even though we were making these short-form Quibis, we were actually making what felt like longer pieces because we were shooting for both versions.
So, if youre interviewing a couple next to each other on the couch, which happens a lot in home-improvement shows, you have to sit them father apart so each can have their own vertical shot.
Exactly. You have to frame in a very specific way, because you dont want to shoot things twice, especially when youre doing a documentary or reality-based show. You live and die by the actual moments that are happening in front of your camera. You have to frame it in a way that you know if something great happens, youve got it covered both for the horizontal version and the vertical version. We had three cameras working on every scene simultaneously, some framed for horizontal, some framed for vertical, some both. It was a real dance.
Quibi was designed and pitched to its audience as something to fill the spaces in the day: Youve got a few minutes waiting for your subway or in line at the store, watch a Quibi. But its launching in a world where daily commutes have ceased to exist for many people, and if youre waiting in line, you need your full attention to make sure no ones standing too close. How do you feel about launching a new service in the middle of a pandemic?
Well, certainly nobody wanted to be going through what were all going through now. I would say that I think that the Quibi platform complements a lot of other streaming services. Ive got three teenagers at home, and they dont want to be around Mom and Dad much. Theyre off in different corners of the house on their phones all day. Theyre doing social media all day. Thats how theyre connecting with their friends. Theyre not sitting in front of a 50-inch television to binge-watch a one-hour drama. I do think that theres a lot of opportunity now for people in such a disjointed time, where every day is so unpredictable and confusing and unsettling, to clear your head for six to 10 minutes at a time in a different part of the house.
The flip side is that while some of us may have more unstructured time, its become extremely difficult to concentrate on anything.
I was just saying that to a friend of mine yesterday. Its so true. I was going to finally binge-watch The Wire. I got about three episodes in, and I just couldnt do it. It was a great showI just didnt have the focus. Who knows. Its an interesting time and anythings possible. I do think we have some compelling programming, and maybe that will help people pass the day.
The couple you start Murder House Flip with are an interesting case, in that not only are they not unnerved to live in a house once owned by a notorious serial killer, theyre kind of into it. Theyve practically got memorabilia up on the walls. It doesnt freak them out at all.
Which is what made them so strangely compelling and interesting. Theyre just wonderful people too. I would say that even though they bought the house out of a morbid curiosity, as the years have gone by, they are exhausted by the tension and by the negative energy that that yard [where the killers victims were buried] has for them. They never did anything to that yard. It looked exactly like it did when the murders happened. They have grandkids, and theyre retired, and they want to have the grandkids over to play.
In our other episodes, youve got the other extreme. We have a couple or a family in Canoga Park [in Los Angeles] that has truly been deeply emotionally affected by the fact that theyd been living in this house for 15 years and this young woman is sleeping in the same bedroom where a young girl was murdered. At the end, when we revealed the changes that we did, they burst into tears. It was incredibly emotional. I think one of the strengths of the show is that we can cover something like the [Dorothea] Puente story, which has some fun elements to it, as dark as it is, because of Tom and Barbara. But we also have episodes coming that are incredibly emotional and quite a journey for the people involved.
Every episode is very positive. Every story is very positive. We were very respectful of the tragedy that occurred. We dont make light of it, ever. Our focus was on helping these people who are in these homes. An interesting thing is that they all would say just on their own that it didnt feel like their house, that the tragedy owned the house. The focus of the whole show was to give them their home back.
Theres a couple in the trailer who are like, Buying a murder house was the only way we could live near the water.
That was an interesting one. They were a couple that went in with their eyes open. They knew what had happened in this house, but theyre a young couple, just got married, want to start a family, and heres this house thats an incredible deal, close to the beach. They thought, Well, this isnt going to bother us. Then sure enough they move in, pour their life savings into it, and theyre freaking out.
Do you have a favorite couple? How many couples are we dealing with in the first season?
We did four houses. Each house has the three-Quibi format that you saw with the first one. Theyre all so different. I think the young couple that you saw in Oceanside[,California,] where they bought a house and the man dismembered his wife in the bathtub was probably the mostwe all felt something in that house. Even when we scouted it. It was just a strange feeling, maybe in our imaginations, but thats one that we all really worked hard on, and they were a great couple. We wanted to help them and give them something to start their family with. That was very rewarding, that one.
The title Murder House Flip definitely gets peoples attention, even if its not in a good way. Stephen Colbert spent a segment making fun of it in January, and the Verge singled it out as one of Quibis most ludicrous shows, based solely on the premise. Is that a case where all press is good press?
Its the craziest title ever. When I first heard it, I said, I want to be a part of this, because thats never been done before. I also thought, Why didnt I think of this?
Correction, April 7, 2020: A headline on this post originally misstated that Star Price was also the creator of the show.
See original here:
- Trance Definition and Meaning - Bible Dictionary - May 24th, 2020
- Paatal Lok actor Ishwak Singh: Its a trance when you get a part like Imran Ansari - The Indian Express - May 24th, 2020
- Gareth Emery Announces First-Ever UNPLUGGED Digital Concert Featuring the Greatest Vocalists in Trance Music - EDM Sauce - May 24th, 2020
- Trichotillomania, Isolation and Anxiety: What to Do? - The New York Times - May 24th, 2020
- Review | Clowns by Trance Effect - A Humming Heart - May 24th, 2020
- Letter: Let's change how we are responding to COVID-19 - Northwest Herald - May 24th, 2020
- Push your musical abilities with online classes from these city-based artistes - Telegraph India - May 24th, 2020
- Celebrate 20 Years of Above & Beyond and Anjunabeats With New Compilation + Club Mix Collection - EDMTunes - May 24th, 2020
- The virtual dance music festival is officially a thing - Las Vegas Weekly - May 24th, 2020
- Currents | The Western Ghats, Trance Effect, Osho Jain and more - A Humming Heart - May 24th, 2020
- FM Announces Second Trance Of Economic Package, Aims At Farmers, Migrant Workers, Street Vendors And Affordable Housing - Business Standard - May 17th, 2020
- Lady Gaga has given$ 52, mi-for a project, and it is in a trance - Matzav Review - May 17th, 2020
- The Trout Were Socially Distant, but Not the Family Memories - The New York Times - May 17th, 2020
- Exclusive Interview with Top EDM Singer... - One EDM - May 17th, 2020
- Tune to hold tight - The New Indian Express - May 17th, 2020
- Fahadh Faasil and Nazriya Nazim's Love Story: From proposal on the sets of Bangalore Days to their marriage - PINKVILLA - May 17th, 2020
- COVID-19 survivor and DJ John Acquaviva joins other London DJs at benefit for mental health - St. Thomas Times-Journal - May 17th, 2020
- My self-control has gone. I'll take anything that's delivered to my door - The Guardian - May 17th, 2020
- Trance (2013) - Rotten Tomatoes - May 4th, 2020
- Tomorrowland takes on another week with its unique live broadcast United Through Music - Rave Jungle - May 4th, 2020
- Here's where the climax scene of 'Trance' was shot - The News Minute - April 24th, 2020
- 20 Questions With Paul van Dyk: The Trance Icon on Growing Up in East Berlin & Why Social Distancing 'Is Incor - Billboard - April 24th, 2020
- Charlotte de Witte Showcases Two Sides of Her Production Abilities With 'Hold That Sucker Down' Remixes - CULTR - April 24th, 2020
- Above & Beyond's Tony McGuiness re-creates the first episode of 'Trance Around The World' - We Rave You - April 24th, 2020
- Glide Into the Weekend With Steny and Replay M's Pulsating Deep House Single "Nightshift" - EDM.com - April 24th, 2020
- This Weeks VR Game Roundup: BoxVR DLC, Baby Shark, and Meditation - VR Fitness Insider - April 24th, 2020
- Novak Djokovic: 'I think that the tennis industry needs to keep evolving' - Tennis World USA - April 24th, 2020
- PREMIERE: Hugo Costin shares plaintive and poignant new album - Happy Mag - April 24th, 2020
- Zerohs BLQLYTE is a choose-your-own-adventure journey into the psyche - The FADER - April 24th, 2020
- Darlene Snell and Wyatt Langmore Relationship on Ozark, Explained - menshealth.com - April 7th, 2020
- Trance (2020) - IMDb - March 24th, 2020
- Amazon.com: Watch Trance | Prime Video - March 24th, 2020
- How to Wake Up From the Trance of Unworthiness - Good News Network - March 24th, 2020
- Every concert you can livestream on March 23 during the coronavirus outbreak - CNET - March 24th, 2020
- Best Uplifting Trance Mix - All Time Favourites #1 - February 27th, 2020
- The most requested title track composed by Vinayakan from 'Trance' is here! - Times of India - February 27th, 2020
- Witness The Essence of Trance [25 Years of RAM] - EDMTunes - February 27th, 2020
- 'Trance' review: Fails to impress overall despite its bold theme - THE WEEK - February 27th, 2020
- Fahad Faasil's 'Trance' takes on the business of religion - Gulf News - February 27th, 2020
- Manju Warrier joining Padavettu to Trance release, here are the weekly highlights of Mollywood - Times of India - February 27th, 2020
- Mike Zaloxx explores the realm of trance with new banger 'Saving Night' - We Rave You - February 27th, 2020
- Best EDM Nightclubs Where You Can Rave in Chicago - UrbanMatter - February 27th, 2020
- Leander Paes reminisces about being in the zone that night in Atlanta - Olympic Channel - February 27th, 2020
- Mickey Hart's Ghosts of Congo Square - Relix - February 27th, 2020
- Armin van Buuren announces all ages 'This is Blah Blah Blah' show - We Rave You - February 27th, 2020
- Paul van Dyk and Dermot Kennedy lead strong live music weekend at The Ritz in Ybor City - Creative Loafing Tampa - February 27th, 2020
- Trance (2020 film) - Wikipedia - February 15th, 2020
- Bryan Kearney Holds No Restraints With His Varied Trance Projects [Interview] - EDM.com - February 15th, 2020
- Paul Van Dyk's 'Duality' Is a Thumping Trance Mood Made For the Club: Exclusive - Billboard - February 15th, 2020
- Fahadh, Nazriya open up about acting together before and after marriage - Onmanorama - February 15th, 2020
- This tactical RPG mixes real-time combat and rewinding to make you a time traveling mage - PC Gamer - February 15th, 2020
- South Movies Releasing This Friday: Vijay Deverakonda's World Famous Lover to Fahadh Faasil's Trance - PINKVILLA - February 15th, 2020
- Trance: Explore Trance Music at Beatport - January 18th, 2020
- Cosmic Gate Reflect on 20 Years of Trance [In-Depth Interview] - EDM Identity - January 18th, 2020
- FahadhNazriya starrer Trance to hit theatres on Feb 14 - Mathrubhumi English - January 18th, 2020
- This 1975 "Sweet Dreams" of Emmylou Harris Will Surely Put You in A Trance - Country Thang Daily - January 18th, 2020
- The science of hypnosis: What is it and how does it work? - Firstpost - January 18th, 2020
- Review: KAS:ST - Hold Me To The Light (Tale Of Us Remix) - Resident Advisor - January 18th, 2020
- Song Lyrics of 'Black Swan' by BTS - Glamsham - January 18th, 2020
- AGF crowns top green events of 2019 - IQ Magazine - January 18th, 2020
- Most awaited Malayalam films of 2020, from One and Marakkar: Arabikadalinte Simham to Thuramukham and Kurup - Firstpost - January 18th, 2020
- Out In the Reeds With Beth Custer - East Bay Express - January 12th, 2020
- Whethan Returns with New Single "Stay Forever" and Fantasy Tour - EDM Identity - January 12th, 2020
- Eyes Everywhere Gets Us Ready for the Club with 'Coupla Blues' [Exclusive Premiere] - EDM Identity - January 12th, 2020
- Most awaited Malayalam films of 2020, from One and Marakkar: Arabikadalinte Simham to Thuramukham and Kurup | MOOSE GAZETTE - Moose Gazette - January 12th, 2020
- Tame Impala Try To Save You From Sinking Into The Past On Lost In Yesterday - MTV.com - January 12th, 2020
- BWW Review: HEDWIG AND THE ANGRY INCH at Portland Center Stage - Broadway World - January 12th, 2020
- The resurgence of Trance Music - Dispatch Weekly - December 29th, 2019
- 9 Dance Music Concerts For Celebrating New Years Eve In New York City - Forbes - December 29th, 2019
- Above & Beyond's Anjunadeep wraps up the decade with 'Best of 2019' mix - We Rave You - December 29th, 2019
- Gigs To Go To This Weekend - Pune Mirror - December 29th, 2019
- Irish band among NPRs top 25 albums of 2019 - IrishCentral - December 29th, 2019
- What's happening this weekend in Lincoln - 1011now - December 29th, 2019
- The Best Trance Of 2019 - A Year In Review - EDM Sauce - December 18th, 2019
- The Space Brothers Discuss The Past, Present, and Future of Trance - EDM Identity - December 18th, 2019
- Johan Gielen Talks Trance History and Gives Insight on Forthcoming Album - EDM Identity - December 18th, 2019
- Menno de Jong to Hang Up the Headphones After 20 Years - EDM Identity - December 18th, 2019
- Kevin & Perry's 20th Anniversary Tribute Will Take Place At Amnesia - Broadway World - December 18th, 2019
- Year By Year: Five Essential Albums of 1994 - JAZZIZ Magazine - December 18th, 2019
- When is 'Riverdale' coming back after the midseason's daunting cliffhanger? - MEAWW - December 18th, 2019