The MSC Grandiosa will set sail again in the western Mediterranean on Sunday, January 24th, following a month-long pause. The ship was the first to start operating in southern Europe last August, but was forced to take a break when the Italian government tightened travel restrictions in the pre-Christmas period.
As the number of active cases in Italy has declined in recent weeks, the government has loosened the rules again.
A press statement from MSC Cruises read: Following the latest ministerial decree issued by the Italian government and related updated health measures, the companys flagship will resume her planned weekly cruises leaving every Sunday from Genoa, Italy and calling on other Italian ports of Civitavecchia, Naples, and Palermo, as well as Valetta in Malta.
While cruises departing from North American ports have been suspended since March 2020, MSC was able to restart last summer with two Italy-based ships. The line worked closely with government officials to develop comprehensive health and safety protocols, both on the ship and during shore excursions.
READ MORE: Europe-Based MSC Cruises Plans Cruisings Biggest Expansion
The latest ministerial decree authorised the resumption of cruise operations under the protection of the unique health and safety protocol that had been developed with and authorised by the Italian health, transport and safety authorities last summer, the MSC statement added. Since then, MSC Cruises has safely welcomed over 30,000 guests on board its two ships based out of Italy.
As the worlds largest privately-owned cruise line and one with a massive expansion plan over the next several years MSC hopes to use the knowledge gained in Europe to streamline its North American restart once guidelines from the U.S. Centers for Disease Control & Prevention are finally made clear.
Were leveraging the fact that we were the first ones to start operating in Southern Europe to set the tone on how to operate a safe cruise, Ken Muskat, EVP and COO of MSC Cruises (USA) told Cruise Industry News.
It is expected that many of the initiatives MSC has taken, including universal testing, social distancing, closely-monitored excursions, and shorter itineraries, will be part of North American rules as well.
READ MORE: 15 Tips for Visiting Ocean Cay MSC Marine Reserve
When it can restart here, MSC will have three ships based in the Florida ports of Miami and Port Canaveral. Initial plans are for short cruises of three, four, and seven nights, with MSCs private destination Ocean Cay MSC Marine Reserve playing a key role. The line says the same health and safety protocols will be in place on the island as they are on its ships.
Unlike some other private islands, Ocean Cay, which opened in December 2019, features programming that extends late into the evening, adding diversity to the experience. As well as sunning, swimming, and water sports during the day, evening events including a Bahamian-style Junkanoo parade and a dazzling light show projected from the islands lighthouse.
READ MORE: MSC Cruises Releases Summer 2022 Schedule
Geneva, Switzerland-based MSC Cruises is planning the largest single expansion in the industry, with a dozen ships on order from 2021-2027. These include four 5,400-passenger, liquefied natural gas-powered mega-ships, the largest ever for a Europe-based cruise line. The plan represents a massive investment of $11.3 billion dollars and will add nearly 45,000 berths to the lines fleet.
Late this year, MSC plans to begin sailing the MSC Seashore from Miami. The brand-new, 4,560-passenger ship promises the highest ratio of outdoor space per guest in the companys fleet.
MSC has suspended cruises from U.S. ports through March 31, 2021. At present, its first scheduled voyage is a three-night sailing out of Port Canaveral on April 1, with a stop at Ocean Cay.
- WATCH: The R1.8m-a-night private island that Melinda Gates rented during divorce - CapeTown ETC - May 9th, 2021
- What you need to know if you are thinking of cruising this summer - Sunbury Daily Item - May 9th, 2021
- Maldives imposes night curfew after steep jump in COVID-19 infections - Reuters - May 9th, 2021
- Canary Islands Startup To Be Called Latittude Hub - Simple Flying - May 9th, 2021
- The 6 Best Glamping Destinations To Enjoy Nature With Luxury Amenities - The Manual - May 9th, 2021
- Inside the vintage school bus that's one of Kent's most unique Airbnbs - Kent Live - May 9th, 2021
- What you need to know about the coronavirus right now - Gibraltar Chronicle - May 9th, 2021
- J. Prince Appears to Have Bought His Own Private Island: 'They Said It Couldn't Be Done' - Complex - April 19th, 2021
- You can rent an entire private island in Ireland with your mates for 40pppn including a bar, sauna and h... - The Sun - April 19th, 2021
- This Country Wants You To Visit So Badly, Itll Give You A Covid Vaccine - Forbes - April 19th, 2021
- How the Lush Caribbean Island of Dominica Became a Superyacht Haven - Robb Report - April 19th, 2021
- Where Is the MSC Fleet of Cruise Ships? - Cruise Industry News - April 19th, 2021
- Prince Philip funeral: Prince Harry, Andrew have awkward reunion - Insider - April 19th, 2021
- Russia explores the world-class surf spots of Kuril Islands - SurferToday - April 19th, 2021
- Whos who in House of Gucci, the new crime and fashion saga - Metro US - April 19th, 2021
- The Hottest Features The Rich Are Craving For Their Next Home - NDTV - April 19th, 2021
- Fodors names Georgia island among nations best to visit - WSB Atlanta - April 19th, 2021
- The private islands you can rent in France, Spain and Greece from just 12pp a night... - The Sun - April 2nd, 2021
- A New Private-Island Resort in the US Virgin Islands - Caribbean Journal - April 2nd, 2021
- Immunity pods of family and friends start to venture out on private vaxications - The Boston Globe - April 2nd, 2021
- Security escorts, chartered planes, Rolls-Royces: Inside the luxe tours of FlyEast Philippines - TTG Asia - April 2nd, 2021
- Private Plane Vacation Packages Are the Big New Thing in Resort Travel - InsideHook - April 2nd, 2021
- Your Own Private Island in Tahiti Is Only a Flight Away - Locale Magazine - March 31st, 2021
- Royal Caribbean Thanks Emergency Services, NHS And Armed Forces With UK Homecoming, Set For This Summer - KPVI News 6 - March 31st, 2021
- Milgate to lead Velaa Private Island in the Maldives - Breaking Travel News - March 31st, 2021
- Secret Mediterranean: where to stay on the best hidden islands - Telegraph.co.uk - March 31st, 2021
- Staycation in Scotland: 6 remote and beautiful Scottish Island escapes - HeraldScotland - March 31st, 2021
- Ghislaine Maxwell Faces Two New Trafficking Charges, Raising Pressure On Prince Andrew And Others Listed In Jeffrey Epsteins Little Black Book -... - March 31st, 2021
- Best resorts in the San Juan Islands - seattlepi.com - March 31st, 2021
- 7 Successful Celebrity Investors | TheRichest - TheRichest - March 31st, 2021
- How the spending habits of Singapore's rich changed in the pandemic - Insider - March 31st, 2021
- NBA's Kevin Love & Model Kate Bock Share What They Eat on "Vegan - The Beet - March 31st, 2021
- Richard Branson Is Opening His Caribbean Private Island to the Public This Summer - Observer - March 25th, 2021
- The stunning private islands that cost less than the price of a two-bed flat in England... - The Sun - March 25th, 2021
- Stunning private islands cheaper than average 2-bedroom home in the UK - Daily Star - March 25th, 2021
- This $1.1 million island in Quebec is for sale (PHOTOS) | Urbanized - Daily Hive - March 25th, 2021
- Private island for sale in BC costs less than the average Vancouver home | Urbanized - Daily Hive - March 25th, 2021
- Escape to Figure Eight - Greater Wilmington Business Journal - March 25th, 2021
- Coral Restoration And Why You Should Choose Hotels That Support It - Forbes - March 25th, 2021
- Chance to make a moo-ve on West Calf island - Southern Star Newspaper - March 25th, 2021
- Remains of SoCal Marine Arrive Home Nearly 77 Years After He Was Killed in World War II - NBC Southern California - March 25th, 2021
- What it's Like to Live on a Remote Island in Indonesia During a Pandemic - Fodor's Travel - March 25th, 2021
- Puerto Rico awarded $900M to help boost islands education - The Boston Globe - March 25th, 2021
- World Rugby to help Pacific Island teams join Super Rugby in 2022 - ESPN - March 25th, 2021
- This entire Quebec island is on the market for $1.8 million (PHOTOS) | Urbanized - Daily Hive - March 21st, 2021
- "Vaxication" In The Maldives: What To Know About Vaccine Tourism - Tatler Malaysia - March 21st, 2021
- Royal Caribbean Readies Cruises to the Bahamas and Mexico for June - Vanity Fair - March 21st, 2021
- Here's How To Plan The Maldives Trip Of Your Post-Quarantine Dreams - Essence - March 21st, 2021
- Happy Birthday Animal Crossing New Horizons! Year In Review For A Hall Of Fame Classic - Hot Hardware - March 21st, 2021
- 'Vaxication' in the Maldives: What to Know About Vaccine Tourism - Tatler Singapore - March 21st, 2021
- The Most Popular Place to Visit the Channel Islands National Park has reopened for recreation The Log - The Log Newspaper - March 21st, 2021
- Island Real Estate | Properties for Sale and Rent on Islands - January 25th, 2021
- Private Islands Online Australia - January 25th, 2021
- Travel Megatrends 2025: Cruise Lines Take Refuge in Their Private Islands - Skift - January 25th, 2021
- British Virgin Islands at a crossroads as outgoing governor decries corruption - The Guardian - January 25th, 2021
- The Islands of Rockport spotlights modern luxury (Sponsored) - Chron - January 25th, 2021
- I explore a new beach every day: How the one per cent are doing Lockdown 3 - Telegraph.co.uk - January 25th, 2021
- Join Kevin McCloud in Italy and ride the Venice Simplon-Orient-Express - Countryliving (UK) - January 25th, 2021
- Here's what it costs to book Disneys new cruises to Antarctica and the Galapagos Islands - CNBC - January 25th, 2021
- Yes, more money will always make your life better, but thats not all there is to happiness, says new study - ZME Science - January 25th, 2021
- Castaway Cay is Hiring! What This Could Mean For Disney Cruise Line - Inside the Magic - January 9th, 2021
- Unique Escapes in 2021 for Travelers Who Have Been Everywhere - Luxury Travel Magazine - January 9th, 2021
- Rebound Travel Technologies and The Rarotongan Resort Group Announce Strategic Partnership - PRNewswire - January 9th, 2021
- 4 great itineraries (and 1 to avoid) for a first cruise vacation - Royal Caribbean Blog - January 9th, 2021
- For heavily indebted small islands, resilience-building is the best antidote - UNCTAD - January 9th, 2021
- Top 10 Private Jet Destinations Around The World - Luxury Travel Magazine - January 9th, 2021
- Things I've done that I'll never do again on a Royal Caribbean cruise - Royal Caribbean Blog - January 9th, 2021
- Opinion: Thompson Island is supposed to be open to the public, but that isnt happening - The Patriot Ledger - January 9th, 2021
- Snapshot: private fund registration - what have we learnt? - Lexology - January 9th, 2021
- Sneak peek at Mackinac Islands Grand Hotel pool renovations: waterslide, cabanas, adults-only area - MLive.com - January 9th, 2021
- Verzuz's Virtual Return Shows Celebs Have Always Lived in Different Worlds - VICE - January 9th, 2021
- From Wealth TV to OAN - Rich Conservatives are Brainwashing the Country - City Watch - January 9th, 2021
- A Bostonian's Guide toHopefullyTraveling This Year - Boston magazine - January 9th, 2021
- Tree pods and beach bedrooms: Social distancing in the Maldives - CNBC - November 26th, 2020
- Scrub Island Resort to re-open | Business | virginislandsdailynews.com - Virgin Islands Daily News - November 26th, 2020
- What Does the Future of Luxury Travel Look Like in a Post-Coronavirus World? - Luxury Travel Magazine - November 26th, 2020
- Private Jetaway Is Leading the Way to Cabo San Lucas With Luxury Vetted Holiday Travel Retreats - PRNewswire - November 26th, 2020
- Consumers are too lazy for The Truth about Amazon to really make a difference - iNews - November 26th, 2020
- Private islands, rather than ships, could make the difference in cruise rebound - TradeWinds - September 18th, 2020
- A private island off the coast of Ireland could be yours for 250,000 - The Spaces - September 18th, 2020