The year 2019 witnessed Malayalam cinema go pan-India thanks to rising popularity of OTT platforms hosting films like Kumbalangi Nights, Lucifer, Virus, Ishq, among others. This year too, there will be a tidy balance of films celebrating super-stardom and slice-of-life narratives. There are superstar big-budget films like Bilal and Marakkar: Arabikadalinte Simham, films with unusual themes, rom-coms, a superhero story, a biopic, a political thriller and a gangster story.
We have tried to keep this list to 10, with a set of films that have either already created enough hype on the social media or going by the makers/writers portfolio of quality cinema.
Fahadh Faasil in a poster for Trance. Image from Twitter
The biggest news around Trance has to be director Anwar Rasheed making a film after a gap of 6 years (his last was Aami in5 Sundarikal). Produced by Rasheed, written by Vincent Vadakkan, framed by Amal Neerad, starring Fahadh Faasil, Nazriya Fahad, Vinayakan and Soubin Shahir, the film, made on a budget of Rs 35 crores, is reportedly based on the Pentecostal community.Rasheed has also produced two of the most successful films in the last decadePremam and Bangalore Days.
Release month: February
When Amal Neerad first announced the project in 2017, this development was met with an overwhelmingly positive response from social media. Whats more, nearly all young Malayalam actors shared the news on their social accounts, about the second coming of Bilal.
Neerad called it a prequel to his cult action thriller Big B, starring Mammootty, which also marked his directorial debut. Big B wasnt a box office success, like most films ahead of their times,it proved to be a slow burner. Besides becoming a cult favourite, it isnow considered one of the most technically superior films of our times. While Big B centred around Mary Teachers murder and how her four adopted sons come together to unravel the mystery and find the culprits, its prequel, written by Unni R will apparently dwell on Bilals past.
With the success of Neerads last release, Varathan, Bilal will be a pressure test for the director as he has the task of bettering Big B. There are rumours about Fahadh Faasil and Sreenath Bhasi being part of the project.Other members of the cast have not been announced.
Release month: Tentatively end of the year
Marakkar: Arabikadalinte Simham
A poster of Marakkar: Arabikadalinte Simham. Image from Twitter
Priyadarshans historical period drama co-written withAni Sasi is about the exploits of Kunjali Marakkar IV a16th century naval chieftain of the Zamorin of Calicut. There were three Marakkars before him who played a key role in their naval wars with the Portuguese from 1507 to 1600. They are said to have organised the first naval defence of the Indian coast.
Reportedly made on a budget of Rs 100 crores,Marakkar: Arabikadalinte Simhamis said to be the most expensive Malayalam film yet. With quite an ensemble of actors led by Mohanlal, the cast also includes Arjun, Manju Warrier, Sudeep, Suniel Shetty and Keerthy Suresh.Pranav Mohanlal and Kalyani Priyadarshan willmake a cameo appearance.
Originally planned in 1996 by Priyadarshan, based on T Damodarans script, the project never took off owing to budget constraints. With a well-made period feature, Kaalapani behind him, and a sneak peak of the teaser released during its audio launch creating much buzz on social media, its a film to look forward to. Principle cinematography is by Thirru, while Sabu Cyril has handled the production design and Rahul Raj hascomposed the music
Release month: The film is scheduled to release over 5000 screens worldwide on 26 March
Halal Love Story
After the critically and commercially successful Sudani from Nigeria, Zakariya is once again teaming up with writer Muhsin Parari for a cute little story set in Malappuram. The story is said to revolve around the home video culture, in that part of the world. Cast includes Indrajith Sukumaran and Grace Antony, along with Joju George and Vinay Fort. Aashiq Abu and Zakariya are producing the film.
Dulquer Salmaan in and as Kurup. Image from Twitter
Sreenath Rajendran whose debut was Second Show starring the then-newcomer Dulquer Salmaan, is yet again teaming up with the actor in Kurup, based on one of Keralas notorious fugitives Sukumara Kurup. Kurup is said to have burnt a man inside a car to fake his own death to get an insurance amount. Though his co-accused have been serving life imprisonment, the criminal is still untraceable and the case remains one of the long-standing open cases in the history of the state.
Salmaanplays the titular role, supported by Indrajith Sukumaran and Shine Tom Chacko. The film is scripted by Daniell Sayooj Nair and KS Aravind while Jithin K Jose has penned the story.
Release month: Mid2020
Mammootty in a poster for One. Image from Twitter
Mammootty plays apolitician in this thrillerscripted by Bobby-Sanjay (their first association with the actor) and directed by Santosh Vishwanath (of Chirakodinja Kinavukal-fame). Nimisha Sajayan, Vishnu Unnikrishnan, Renji Panicker, Murali Gopy and Joju George are part of the ensemble.
One has generated a significant interest ever since the makers released first look posters of the actor. In the images, Mammootty, clad in a white shirt and mundu, looks stern and composed.
Release month: March end
A poster of Thuramukham. Image from Twitter
After the critically appreciated Kammatipaadam in 2016, Rajeev Ravi will yet again bring lesser known history of Kochi into focus. Based on a 1968 play of the same title by KM Chidambaram, a teacher and a renowned playwright; it revolved around a Muslim family in Mattancherry, where the working class lived in impoverished conditions due to unemployment and exploitation by shipping companies. It revolves around the events leading to Chappa system practised in the Cochin harbour during the 1950s.
The screenplay is Gopan Chithambaram (who also co-wrote Iyobinte Pusthakam). Nivin Pauly stars inThuramukhamalongside Indrajith Sukumaran, Nimisha Sajayan and Poornima Indrajith.
Editor-director Mahesh Narayanan, who made his debut with Take Off in 2017, is back with his second film starring Fahadh Faasil and Nimisha Sajayan. It is said to be a gangster film, set in the backdrop of Beemapally riots. The film is bankrolled by Anto Joseph.
Release month: End of this year
After the terrific success of Kumbalangi Nights, Syam Pushkaran is collaborating with yetnewcomer director, Shaheed Arafath. Pushkaran is co-producing the project, reportedly a heist thriller, withDileesh Pothan, Fahadh Faasil and Rajan Thomas.
Faasil, Joju George and Pothan have been roped in as actors.Faasil and Pothans associations,Maheshinte Prathikaram and Thondimuthalum Driksakshiyum, have been magical and thats enough reason to put your money on the upcoming film.
A poster of Minnal Murali. Image from IMDb
Malayalam cinemas first film based on a fictitious local superhero, has Tovino Thomas in the lead role. Directed by Basil Joseph, this film also stars Tamil actor Guru Somasundaram. Tovino also has interesting films like Kilometers and Kilometers, and Forensic lined up this year.
Find latest and upcoming tech gadgets online on Tech2 Gadgets. Get technology news, gadgets reviews & ratings. Popular gadgets including laptop, tablet and mobile specifications, features, prices, comparison.
Updated Date: Jan 13, 2020 08: 12: 18 IST
- Discover: 'You're getting sleepy' the amazing science of hypnosis - Sudbury.com - July 21st, 2020
- Dance Bii with WesdaRuler, And More Music News and Gossip | Flagpole - Flagpole Magazine - July 21st, 2020
- MCs, Stunts and Doing Keys: Behind the Scenes With Bad Boy Chiller Crew - VICE UK - July 21st, 2020
- Blackpool nurse is a hit as guest DJ on Dave Pearce Delirium show as a thank you to key workers - Blackpool Gazette - July 21st, 2020
- Tisto to unveil VER:WEST at Tomorrowland's Around The World - Dancing Astronaut - July 21st, 2020
- Magic Beans Gather At Beanstalk: At The Drive-In Part Deux With SunSquabi, Dynohunter, More [Photos] - Live for Live Music - July 21st, 2020
- People who are easily hypnotized are more likely to be addicted to their smartphones, study finds - PsyPost - July 21st, 2020
- INTERVIEW | Gautham Menon feels a big film is all that is needed to bring audience back to theaters - The New Indian Express - July 21st, 2020
- Back in the pool: the new rules of swimming - The Irish Times - July 21st, 2020
- Bachelorette: Brother of Country Star Granger Smith On Clares Season - Screen Rant - July 21st, 2020
- Around the Bluhmin' Town: Dog days of summer have arrived - Verde Independent - July 21st, 2020
- Hayden James creates golden waves with this summer selection - The Irish Sun - July 21st, 2020
- Dil Bechara: Sushant Singh Rajput, Sanjana Sanghi Take On Paris And Find Ways To Khulke Jeena Ka - Mashable India - July 21st, 2020
- Trance Definition and Meaning - Bible Dictionary - May 24th, 2020
- Paatal Lok actor Ishwak Singh: Its a trance when you get a part like Imran Ansari - The Indian Express - May 24th, 2020
- Gareth Emery Announces First-Ever UNPLUGGED Digital Concert Featuring the Greatest Vocalists in Trance Music - EDM Sauce - May 24th, 2020
- Trichotillomania, Isolation and Anxiety: What to Do? - The New York Times - May 24th, 2020
- Review | Clowns by Trance Effect - A Humming Heart - May 24th, 2020
- Letter: Let's change how we are responding to COVID-19 - Northwest Herald - May 24th, 2020
- Push your musical abilities with online classes from these city-based artistes - Telegraph India - May 24th, 2020
- Celebrate 20 Years of Above & Beyond and Anjunabeats With New Compilation + Club Mix Collection - EDMTunes - May 24th, 2020
- The virtual dance music festival is officially a thing - Las Vegas Weekly - May 24th, 2020
- Currents | The Western Ghats, Trance Effect, Osho Jain and more - A Humming Heart - May 24th, 2020
- FM Announces Second Trance Of Economic Package, Aims At Farmers, Migrant Workers, Street Vendors And Affordable Housing - Business Standard - May 17th, 2020
- Lady Gaga has given$ 52, mi-for a project, and it is in a trance - Matzav Review - May 17th, 2020
- The Trout Were Socially Distant, but Not the Family Memories - The New York Times - May 17th, 2020
- Exclusive Interview with Top EDM Singer... - One EDM - May 17th, 2020
- Tune to hold tight - The New Indian Express - May 17th, 2020
- Fahadh Faasil and Nazriya Nazim's Love Story: From proposal on the sets of Bangalore Days to their marriage - PINKVILLA - May 17th, 2020
- COVID-19 survivor and DJ John Acquaviva joins other London DJs at benefit for mental health - St. Thomas Times-Journal - May 17th, 2020
- My self-control has gone. I'll take anything that's delivered to my door - The Guardian - May 17th, 2020
- Trance (2013) - Rotten Tomatoes - May 4th, 2020
- Tomorrowland takes on another week with its unique live broadcast United Through Music - Rave Jungle - May 4th, 2020
- Here's where the climax scene of 'Trance' was shot - The News Minute - April 24th, 2020
- 20 Questions With Paul van Dyk: The Trance Icon on Growing Up in East Berlin & Why Social Distancing 'Is Incor - Billboard - April 24th, 2020
- Charlotte de Witte Showcases Two Sides of Her Production Abilities With 'Hold That Sucker Down' Remixes - CULTR - April 24th, 2020
- Above & Beyond's Tony McGuiness re-creates the first episode of 'Trance Around The World' - We Rave You - April 24th, 2020
- Glide Into the Weekend With Steny and Replay M's Pulsating Deep House Single "Nightshift" - EDM.com - April 24th, 2020
- This Weeks VR Game Roundup: BoxVR DLC, Baby Shark, and Meditation - VR Fitness Insider - April 24th, 2020
- Novak Djokovic: 'I think that the tennis industry needs to keep evolving' - Tennis World USA - April 24th, 2020
- PREMIERE: Hugo Costin shares plaintive and poignant new album - Happy Mag - April 24th, 2020
- Zerohs BLQLYTE is a choose-your-own-adventure journey into the psyche - The FADER - April 24th, 2020
- Murder House Flip: The Quibi series' showrunner on why he wanted to flip murder houses. - Slate - April 7th, 2020
- Darlene Snell and Wyatt Langmore Relationship on Ozark, Explained - menshealth.com - April 7th, 2020
- Trance (2020) - IMDb - March 24th, 2020
- Amazon.com: Watch Trance | Prime Video - March 24th, 2020
- How to Wake Up From the Trance of Unworthiness - Good News Network - March 24th, 2020
- Every concert you can livestream on March 23 during the coronavirus outbreak - CNET - March 24th, 2020
- Best Uplifting Trance Mix - All Time Favourites #1 - February 27th, 2020
- The most requested title track composed by Vinayakan from 'Trance' is here! - Times of India - February 27th, 2020
- Witness The Essence of Trance [25 Years of RAM] - EDMTunes - February 27th, 2020
- 'Trance' review: Fails to impress overall despite its bold theme - THE WEEK - February 27th, 2020
- Fahad Faasil's 'Trance' takes on the business of religion - Gulf News - February 27th, 2020
- Manju Warrier joining Padavettu to Trance release, here are the weekly highlights of Mollywood - Times of India - February 27th, 2020
- Mike Zaloxx explores the realm of trance with new banger 'Saving Night' - We Rave You - February 27th, 2020
- Best EDM Nightclubs Where You Can Rave in Chicago - UrbanMatter - February 27th, 2020
- Leander Paes reminisces about being in the zone that night in Atlanta - Olympic Channel - February 27th, 2020
- Mickey Hart's Ghosts of Congo Square - Relix - February 27th, 2020
- Armin van Buuren announces all ages 'This is Blah Blah Blah' show - We Rave You - February 27th, 2020
- Paul van Dyk and Dermot Kennedy lead strong live music weekend at The Ritz in Ybor City - Creative Loafing Tampa - February 27th, 2020
- Trance (2020 film) - Wikipedia - February 15th, 2020
- Bryan Kearney Holds No Restraints With His Varied Trance Projects [Interview] - EDM.com - February 15th, 2020
- Paul Van Dyk's 'Duality' Is a Thumping Trance Mood Made For the Club: Exclusive - Billboard - February 15th, 2020
- Fahadh, Nazriya open up about acting together before and after marriage - Onmanorama - February 15th, 2020
- This tactical RPG mixes real-time combat and rewinding to make you a time traveling mage - PC Gamer - February 15th, 2020
- South Movies Releasing This Friday: Vijay Deverakonda's World Famous Lover to Fahadh Faasil's Trance - PINKVILLA - February 15th, 2020
- Trance: Explore Trance Music at Beatport - January 18th, 2020
- Cosmic Gate Reflect on 20 Years of Trance [In-Depth Interview] - EDM Identity - January 18th, 2020
- FahadhNazriya starrer Trance to hit theatres on Feb 14 - Mathrubhumi English - January 18th, 2020
- This 1975 "Sweet Dreams" of Emmylou Harris Will Surely Put You in A Trance - Country Thang Daily - January 18th, 2020
- The science of hypnosis: What is it and how does it work? - Firstpost - January 18th, 2020
- Review: KAS:ST - Hold Me To The Light (Tale Of Us Remix) - Resident Advisor - January 18th, 2020
- Song Lyrics of 'Black Swan' by BTS - Glamsham - January 18th, 2020
- AGF crowns top green events of 2019 - IQ Magazine - January 18th, 2020
- Most awaited Malayalam films of 2020, from One and Marakkar: Arabikadalinte Simham to Thuramukham and Kurup - Firstpost - January 18th, 2020
- Out In the Reeds With Beth Custer - East Bay Express - January 12th, 2020
- Whethan Returns with New Single "Stay Forever" and Fantasy Tour - EDM Identity - January 12th, 2020
- Eyes Everywhere Gets Us Ready for the Club with 'Coupla Blues' [Exclusive Premiere] - EDM Identity - January 12th, 2020
- Tame Impala Try To Save You From Sinking Into The Past On Lost In Yesterday - MTV.com - January 12th, 2020
- BWW Review: HEDWIG AND THE ANGRY INCH at Portland Center Stage - Broadway World - January 12th, 2020