Last month, Science Timesreported that the Russian space agency Roscosmos and China's National Space Administration (CNSA) recently agreed on building a lunar base called International Scientific Lunar Station and a satellite to orbit around the Moon.
The International Scientific Lunar Station is said to rival NASA's Gateway program, which will build a rival space station developed by an alliance of different countries in the next decade.
This announcement is in preparation for the 60th anniversary of Yuri's Nightthat marked the beginning of human spaceflight on April 12, 1961.
(Photo: YouTube)China and Russia To Build Moon Base (Without SpaceX or NASA) Screenshot from YouTube/Toasty Business
Building a lunar will give many benefits to space agencies around the globe and the world as a whole. It will be the first step to test humanity's capabilities and technologies to one day colonize Mars, according toThe Next Web.
Also, a lunar base would serve as a station for various scientific activities, like observing the Sun and other objects in the cosmos.
The lunar base will help scientists in researching astronomy and could assist in developing a variety of important advanced technologies and capabilities, like robotics, utilization of resources, in-space propulsion, optical communication, space additive manufacturing via 3D printing, and more.
ALSO READ:Soyuz MS-18 Upcoming Launch to ISS Mark 60 Years of Human Spaceflight [WATCH]
They say that space is now the new battleground and having a lunar base means a great deal in the space race. It will help establish subsequent Mars missions and other cosmological activities.
It is a signal of a significant breakthrough in space flight, high-value extraterrestrial resources, power and communication, space habitats for the crew, and facilities that will lessen the risks on the technical and financial aspects of future space missions.
The space race is a competition between nations, particularly the US and the Soviet Union, to show superiority in spaceflight. It is like a continuation of the Cold War in the 20th century that pitted the ideologies of capitalism and communism, according to one exhibit from the National Air and Space Museum.
The crew who will live in the International Lunar Research Station would work together by developing and sharing the infrastructure but also enhancing their capabilities and talents, TNWreported.
Their scientific research would include resource mining and processing, technology development, and human exploration on the Moon that perhaps one day could open tourism.
In the 20th century, both Americans and Russians achieved their first interplanetary flyby by sending spacecraft, and astronauts, and cosmonauts to space. Also, other nations have sent their rockets and satellites in the '60s and '70s.
But according to Space.com, these are all just a sideshow of the real space race at the time. With NASA's Apollo program, the space agency's engineers embarked on a series of space missions to place the first human footprints on the lunar surface.
Although there are more American and Societ missions after the successes of NASA's Apollo program, it is believed that the 20th-century space race has been won by the United States. But as the Cold War wound down, both countries agreed to cooperate in space and created the International Space Stationin 1998.
In this 21st century, more countries are joining the space race that is why the joint project of Russia and China is a significant move in winning the current space race. Even private companies are also becoming a part of this monumental event in history.
Tomorrow's winner of the space race is yet to be determined with more players coming in, which is expected to have more win-lose scenarios than the past century.
RELATED ARTICLE: Russia and China Join Forces to Build Station Around the Moon, Rivaling NASA's Planned Gateway
Check out more news and information on Spaceand Moonon Science Times.
- End Times Update 5/15/2021: SNL, the Gas Crisis, and Courtney Stodden - Popdust - May 16th, 2021
- Elon Musk's 'SNL' appearance shows he's the face of EVs beyond Tesla - Mashable SE Asia - May 16th, 2021
- Time for Infosec Professionals' Imaginations to Stretch to Outer Space - Infosecurity Magazine - May 9th, 2021
- Elon Musk's first name shows up in 1953 book about colonizing Mars - CNET - May 9th, 2021
- The Final Fate of Elon Musk in Seven Secrets #8? [Preview] - Bleeding Cool News - May 9th, 2021
- Scientists claim to have seen fungi on Mars - Mediarun Search - May 9th, 2021
- How much is the space race worth? - Three fold Online - May 9th, 2021
- SpaceX's Elon Musk hosting 'Saturday Night Live' this weekend - Space.com - May 7th, 2021
- SpaceX completes another Starship prototype flight, this time with no explosion on landing - Anchorage Daily News - May 7th, 2021
- "The idea of inhabiting Mars is merely fanciful fiction" says commenter - Dezeen - April 15th, 2021
- Musician Grimes Is Ready for Space Travel With Full Back Alien Scar Tattoo - autoevolution - April 15th, 2021
- The Final Frontier Will Be a Profitable Frontier - InvestorPlace - April 15th, 2021
- Elon Musk is an alien who tries to escape from earth, bizarre theory goes viral on internet - IBTimes India - April 13th, 2021
- Epic NASAs Ingenuity Helicopter Poised to Forever Change the Way We Explore Other Planets - The Daily Galaxy --Great Discoveries Channel - April 11th, 2021
- Did it Come From Outer Space? Debris washes ashore in Lincoln County - St. Helens Chronicle - April 11th, 2021
- To the moon: Greetings and a message from young Iroquois earthlings - GoErie.com - April 11th, 2021
- Director Neil Burger's 'Voyagers' launches a colony ship to the stars - Space.com - April 11th, 2021
- Meet the new director of ASU's Institute for Humanities Research - ASU Now - April 11th, 2021
- Boeing v SpaceX: the rivalry shaping the future of space exploration - The National - April 11th, 2021
- The race for space colonisation and limitless wealth is already here - TRT World - March 31st, 2021
- "The Expanse" offers a realistic depiction of space colonization - Axios - March 31st, 2021
- We Shouldn't Invoke Colonialist Language To Justify Missions To the Cosmos - The Wire Science - March 31st, 2021
- What happened to water on Mars? - Brantford Expositor - March 31st, 2021
- Elon Musk says the SpaceX Starship will get to Mars 'well before' 2030 - Daily Express - March 31st, 2021
- Elon Musk shows off SpaceX's 1st Starship Super Heavy booster - Space.com - March 21st, 2021
- The Green Space | Elon Musk and Ecomasculinity - University of Pittsburgh The Pitt News - March 21st, 2021
- Where did the waters of Mars go? Underground. Maybe Martian life did, too. - SYFY WIRE - March 21st, 2021
- NASA Perseverance Rover Officially Shares the Sounds of Driving on Mars - Science Times - March 21st, 2021
- NASA: Unknown bacteria found on the ISS - and it could help with the move to Mars - Daily Express - March 21st, 2021
- Inside The First-Ever Luxury Space Hotel Thats Set to Open in 2027 - The Manual - March 21st, 2021
- 'In space, you know the physics of how you're going to die': Kate Greene - E&T Magazine - March 21st, 2021
- Humans on Mars by 2050? We Might Have Liftoff - Architecture and Design - March 21st, 2021
- The Expanse Team Unpacks Its Abuse Storylines in Season 5 - Observer - March 21st, 2021
- If Elon Musk makes it to Mars, then what? These are the hurdles for humans who wish to live on the Red Planet - MarketWatch - March 16th, 2021
- Elon Musk Is the Ultimate Villain in the Korean Sci-Fi Film Space Sweepers - TheStranger.com - March 16th, 2021
- Hopes and Dreams of Mars - Splice Today - March 5th, 2021
- Elon Musk Is Creating a City in Texas. It Will Be Called Starbase and It Will Be Ruled by 'The Doge' - Entrepreneur - March 5th, 2021
- Opinion: The Perseverance rover landing on Mars is a giant leap toward human colonization of space - The San Diego Union-Tribune - March 3rd, 2021
- NASA Mars mission: Perseverance to begin search for life on Red Planet - Daily Express - March 3rd, 2021
- Why are humans so obsessed with Mars? - Livemint - March 3rd, 2021
- Perseverance - The Mars Rover - Fiorella Beausang-Hunter - Latymer Upper School - This is Local London - March 3rd, 2021
- The Avid Reader: A trip into the universe - Monadnock Ledger Transcript - March 3rd, 2021
- The Expanse season five kicks off slowly - The Prospector - March 3rd, 2021
- Mission to Mars: New rover to aid in human colonization (Part 1) - Yahoo News - February 22nd, 2021
- Colonize and live on Mars thanks to cyanobacteria? - Innovation Origins - February 22nd, 2021
- Why the red planet captures our imagination in movies and books - WTOP - February 22nd, 2021
- Think tank: City life on Mars? Creating human centred communities in space and beyond - SmartCitiesWorld - February 22nd, 2021
- New app brings Mars exploration closer to life on Earth - The First News - February 22nd, 2021
- A six-wheeled, Mini-sized rover is currently parked on Mars - Top Gear - February 22nd, 2021
- Greta Thunberg's ironic video of the colonization of Mars within hours of the arrival of NASA's Perseverance rover - Explica - February 22nd, 2021
- Elon Musk faces rejection by French villagers as they deny permission to install antennas - Republic TV - February 22nd, 2021
- NASA lands Perseverance rover: Why going to Mars ought to matter to you - The Shepherd of the Hills Gazette - February 22nd, 2021
- The UAE Probe 'Hope' Has Successfully Reached Mars - ExtremeTech - February 10th, 2021
- Elon Musk's Mars plan rocked as SpaceX CEO fears humans will 'self-extinguish' before 2050 - Daily Express - February 10th, 2021
- Hilltown internet coverage is expanding, but affordability is still a concern - The Altamont Enterprise - February 10th, 2021
- Cybernauts Called to PLANETXXI to Save Planet Earth - Send2Press Newswire - February 10th, 2021
- Meet the team behind the brains: LoyolaMARS students talk all things aerospace - Los Angeles Loyolan - February 6th, 2021
- Someone Tell Elon Musk That Bandanas Aren't Face Masks - Highsnobiety - February 6th, 2021
- Is Our Whole World Just a Simulation? Enter A Glitch in the Matrix - Vanity Fair - February 6th, 2021
- Andre Drummond backs Elon Musk, campaigning Dogecoin to pump to the moon - Cavaliers Nation - February 6th, 2021
- If You Loved Greedfall, Try These 3 Games Like It - KeenGamer News - February 6th, 2021
- Robinhood Screwed Its Users But Is More Popular Than Ever - VICE - February 6th, 2021
- Elon Musk reveals ambitious plans to get humans to Mars seven years ahead of NASA - Republic World - February 2nd, 2021
- Is there life on Mars? Not if we destroy it with poor space hygiene - The Guardian - February 2nd, 2021
- How Elon Musk and a Mission to Mars Might Boost Internet Speeds in Rural Kansas - kansaspublicradio.org - February 2nd, 2021
- Elon Musk Thinks Memes are 'Complex' Form of Communication. He Even Has a 'Dealer' for Regular Supply - News18 - February 2nd, 2021
- Josh app expands its musical library with 1.3 lakh songs from Saregama in 25 different languages - Business Insider India - February 2nd, 2021
- Experts warn of brewing space mining war among US, China and Russia - MINING.COM - MINING.com - February 2nd, 2021
- 10 Old Sci-Fi Movies That Take Place In The Present Time Period - Screen Rant - February 2nd, 2021
- SpaceX Is Launching Its Giant Starship SN9 Prototype, The Next Step To Visiting Mars - Observer - January 27th, 2021
- Axiom names first private crew paying $55 million for a trip to the ISS - The Verge - January 27th, 2021
- This Is Why You Must Never Try And Colonize A Super-Earth Planet - Forbes - January 27th, 2021
- Redout: Space Assault brings the nostalgic joys of Starfox to Xbox One, Series X|S, PS4, PS5, Switch and PC - TheXboxHub - January 27th, 2021
- Global foreign investment falls by 42% | Govit-19 - haveeruonline - January 27th, 2021
- Big Ben-sized space rock among FIVE headed this way, as scientist proposes humans COLONIZE asteroid belt itself - RT - January 27th, 2021
- Top Executives Like Elon Musk And Steve Jobs Are 64% More Likely To Set This Type Of Goal - Forbes - January 27th, 2021
- The Expanse Drummer Actor On The Show's Respectful Polyamory Representation - Screen Rant - January 27th, 2021
- Elon Musk Will Fund Mars Colonization By Selling His Possessions - WebProNews - January 17th, 2021
- ISS astronauts ate space-grown radishes for the first time - The Burn-In - January 5th, 2021
- Learning what it takes to grow a space garden - MSUToday - December 30th, 2020