MONCTON Mylne Desprs, the founder of La Station Support, has teamed up with Dan Gillis, co-founder of Porpoise and owner of the Botsford Station, to gather community-minded entrepreneurs and organizations in a co-working space.
La Station is renting space on the second floor of the former hat factory on 232 Botsford St. This is a new offering by the company, which was launched last year to support entrepreneurs with administrative and operational services.
Theres going to be the support piece but also the work space piece because I find it goes hand in hand, Desprs said. Its not just for me to support and get clients, but its for everybody to support each other and create a community.
La Station is looking for non-profit organizations, solo entrepreneurs, artists, and small business owners that want to make a positive impact in the community to be its members.
I realize that theres so many people in Moncton doing good things and everybodys just kind of siloed. This new adventure for me is just a way to get all these people together, helping each other, collaborating and growing together, Desprs said. It doesnt matter what theyre doing and in which capacity theyre bettering our comunnity. I think thats what differentiates us.
Currently, there are about 10 members working in the space, including Branch Graphic Design, The Garden Cities Project, and an art collective.
Desprs has rooms available for workshops. Bigger classrooms will be added as the buildings renovation moves forward and the third floor opens up in the second and third phases of the project.
The space has a kitchen, call rooms, meeting rooms with Smart TVs, high speed internet, coffee and an espresso machine for use by members, community tables, and standing desks. Its also available for event rentals on weekends.
Desprs wants the space to feel like a restaurant or coffee shop, and for people to move around and interact. But she also plans to have some dedicated desks in the future in response to market demand.
And we are going as eco-friendly as we can, repurposing the space but also the furniture. Everything is recycled, she said.
Currently, the second floor is being shared with the staff of Porpoise and Alongside. The La Station portion of the space can accommodate 45 seats and has standing space for 90 people.
Desprs plans to host networking events that allow deeper conversations to happen.
I really feel like a community that learns together stays together, she said.
Gillis, who has owned the building for 10 years, is helping Desprs get the project up and running. He said the idea resonates with how the building, constructed between 1910 and 1913, was preserved with the help of community volunteers when he bought it in 2009.
When we first moved in, it was a community project and we wanted to transform this building with the power of community and this volunteer-driven initiative, he said. Our original vision was that it would be a place for people and ideas to come to life. So through that whole process, we actually hosted a number of different businesses.
Desprs and Gillis had known each other through their involvement in the community. But a Huddle article about La Station sparked an idea for Gillis to collaborate with Desprs. The move finally happened when Amanda Hachey, co-director of social innovation lab NouLAB, heard about Desprs plan and told her to connect with Gillis.
We have the start of something. We have essentially 6,600 square feet that we can grow into and a whole third floor above us for the expansion of this idea and the project. But what we didnt have was really the capacity to lead this project, Gillis said.
Having visited various co-working spaces around the world through Porpoise, Gillis noticed that those that are run well have good community managers.
What I saw inMylne was shes really entrenched herself in community for these past several years and has really established the network that I think is going to make a project like this possible.
Co-working spaces also generally have a theme and a focus area, he said. La Station focuses on creativity, innovation and a community spirit. Desprs hopes it will be a complementary addition to the larger co-working community.
Collaboration over competition, thats always been my motto, she said.
For now, members have access to the building only during working hours and would have to contact Desprs for access outside of those times. But La Station plans to use an app-based security system in the future.
Once signed up, members also have access to an online community on Slack.
Memberships cost between $125 and $250 a month. The daily rate for a desk is $20 and meeting room rentals range between $25 and $150.Community members can also sign up for a $200/year membership to get discounted access to events, workshops, meeting rooms, and online community.
An launch event is planned on November 13, from 5-7 p.m.
- Livestream: NASAs SpaceX Demo-2 launch to the International Space Station - Boston.com - May 27th, 2020
- In photos: The Expedition 63 mission to the International Space Station - Space.com - May 27th, 2020
- NASA chief "all in" for Tom Cruise to film on space station - Herald-Whig - May 27th, 2020
- Look up: International Space Station visible above Thunder Bay in coming weeks - CBC.ca - May 27th, 2020
- International Space Station visible over Devon and Cornwall tonight - Plymouth Live - May 27th, 2020
- Here's how to see the International Space Station passing over Bristol this weekend - Bristol Live - May 27th, 2020
- You can view the International Space Station from Vancouver tonight - Vancouver Is Awesome - May 27th, 2020
- The next SpaceX launch will be the company's first with people on board - CNBC - May 18th, 2020
- Timetable for spotting the International Space Station as it passes over the UK and nine-year-old Lottie from Newbury takes her first cosmic... - May 18th, 2020
- International Space Station visible in orbit over the UK until the beginning of June - Newbury Weekly News Group - May 18th, 2020
- Salad could be grown on Mars, scientists say - The Independent - May 18th, 2020
- How and when to see the International Space Station in the sky from where you live - Hillingdon Times - May 18th, 2020
- International Space Station tracker: how to see the ISS fly over Scotland in May - The Scotsman - May 18th, 2020
- MB&F and LEpe 1839's Latest Clock is a Horological Space Station - HYPEBEAST - May 18th, 2020
- space station | Definition, History, & Facts | Britannica - May 8th, 2020
- International Space Station - Wikipedia - May 8th, 2020
- Astronaut offers insights on coronavirus from space station - Community Impact Newspaper - May 8th, 2020
- Tom Cruise Working With NASA To Film Aboard The International Space Station - WLEN-FM - May 8th, 2020
- Digital Space Solution Market to Witness Astonishing Growth With The SpaceStation, SpaceDigital, Mediaspace Solutions, Sajha Media Space, Nine... - May 8th, 2020
- Astronaut Christina Koch on making space history and how to survive isolation - The Verge - May 8th, 2020
- China plans to have space station by 2022 - The Canberra Times - May 6th, 2020
- How long will the 1st astronauts to ride SpaceX's Crew Dragon be in space? No one knows exactly (yet). - Space.com - May 6th, 2020
- China to debut new version of powerful Long March 5 rocket this week - Spaceflight Now - May 4th, 2020
- SpaceX Moon Contract Could Be Worth $7 Billion -- Or Nothing - The Motley Fool - May 4th, 2020
- An astronaut spotted SpaceX's Starlink internet satellites from the International Space Station - CNBC - April 21st, 2020
- Astronauts Return to Earth From International Space Station - EcoWatch - April 21st, 2020
- NASA to launch astronauts to space station from US soil for the first time in a decade - WESTERNMASSNEWS.com - April 21st, 2020
- NASA astronaut, UCSD grad to return to earth from space station - - KUSI - April 21st, 2020
- Amazing shots of International Space Station over Swindon (and here's when you can see it next) - Swindon Advertiser - April 21st, 2020
- UFO Spotted On NASA Live Stream Video Outside The International Space Station Is Absolutely Real - BroBible - April 21st, 2020
- Three amember Space Station Crew Return to Earth - En Tempo.co - April 21st, 2020
- How engineers are operating space missions from their homes - The Verge - April 21st, 2020
- Soyuz launches new crew to the International Space Station - SpaceNews - April 9th, 2020
- Boeing intends to reattempt Starliner test flight to space station - CBS News - April 9th, 2020
- Great stargazing night ahead, when to see the International Space Station pass over Michigan - MLive.com - April 9th, 2020
- How to see the International Space Station in the Colorado Springs area on Tuesday and Wednesday - Colorado Springs Gazette - April 9th, 2020
- China's new crew spacecraft looks like it could dock with the International Space Station - Space.com - March 31st, 2020
- In Photos: The Expedition 62 mission to the International Space Station - Space.com - March 31st, 2020
- Five MIT payloads deployed on the International Space Station - Space Daily - March 31st, 2020
- NASA tasks SpaceX with sending cargo and supplies to future lunar space station - The Verge - March 31st, 2020
- 'I'm in awe': NASA astronaut salutes coronavirus-fighting doctors and nurses from orbit - Space.com - March 31st, 2020
- All traditions are scrapped: Keeping coronavirus off the ISS - Digital Trends - March 31st, 2020
- When you can see the International Space Station flying in the night sky over Somerset this weekend - Somerset Live - March 31st, 2020
- Watch this space, coronavirus weather & penguin-spotting - EURACTIV - March 31st, 2020
- Space holiday, anyone? Space X to send tourists to International Space Station - The Star Online - March 31st, 2020
- US launches advanced satellite in 1st Space Force national security mission - Space.com - March 31st, 2020
- Sunlit Peaks in the Himalayas - NASA - March 31st, 2020
- Need More Space At Home? Try These Astronomy Livestreams - Forbes - March 31st, 2020
- Astronaut tips to survive lockdown: talk, teamwork, treats - Reuters - March 31st, 2020
- G2 Esports defeats Spacestation Gaming to win RLCS NA Regionals - Daily Esports - March 31st, 2020
- While we were stockpiling, here's what astronauts were up to in space last week - CNN - March 26th, 2020
- When you can see the International Space Station flying over Greater Manchester over the next week - Manchester Evening News - March 26th, 2020
- How to see the International Space Station over Nottingham tonight - West Bridgford Wire - March 26th, 2020
- Welcome to the future: 11 ideas that went from science fiction to reality - Space.com - March 26th, 2020
- The Coronavirus Is Starting To Have A Serious Impact On The Space Industry - Forbes - March 26th, 2020
- In space, at sea: tips on isolation from the pros - The Jakarta Post - Jakarta Post - March 26th, 2020
- In space, at sea: Professionals thriving in confinement have some Covid-19 work-from-home tips - Livemint - March 26th, 2020
- Houston-based research organization taps video game makers to advance space medicine - InnovationMap - March 26th, 2020
- UAE students invited to programme heroic space robots - The National - March 26th, 2020
- US government aims for better coordination in space weather campaign - SpaceNews - March 26th, 2020
- Here's how NASA protects astronauts and the International Space Station from coronavirus - CNN - March 24th, 2020
- Suddenly Stuck at Home? After 20 Years at the Space Station, NASA Teaches These 5 Success Behaviors to Stay Positive and Be Productive in Small Spaces... - March 24th, 2020
- Venus, International Space Station spotted from Mount Washington Observatory - The Boston Globe - March 24th, 2020
- The Safest Place to Hide From the Coronavirus: Space? - Newsweek - March 24th, 2020
- I Spent a Year in Space, and I Have Tips on Isolation to Share - The New York Times - March 24th, 2020
- A message from MIT astronauts: Accept the mission and find your motivators - MIT News - March 24th, 2020
- Feast your eyes on these treats in the night sky, with ISS, Venus and the constellations - Gloucestershire Live - March 24th, 2020
- Mir, the first modular space station - The Hindu - March 24th, 2020
- NASA astronaut to head to space station without fanfare - Las Vegas Review-Journal - March 24th, 2020
- Want To Get Away? These Astronauts Talk About Life Off Earth, Dealing With Isolation and Facing Fears - WMFE - March 24th, 2020
- NASA Captures Footage Of UFO On Space Station Live Feed - KFI AM 640 - February 27th, 2020
- Central Florida teen sworn into Army by astronaut on International Space Station - WESH 2 Orlando - February 27th, 2020
- First Ever Future Soldier Swear-In From International Space Station - kjrh.com - February 27th, 2020
- Here's when the International Space Station will be visible in Louisville skies - WLKY Louisville - February 27th, 2020
- China wants to build a new space station. A planned launch in April will set the stage. - Space.com - February 27th, 2020
- Nasa films mystery UFO following the ISS for 20 minutes - Metro.co.uk - February 27th, 2020
- When can I see the Space Station this week? - pennlive.com - February 27th, 2020
- Local second-graders talk to astronaut aboard the International Space Station - WLWT Cincinnati - February 27th, 2020
- East Middle School students talk to astronaut on the International Space Station - Grandblancview - February 27th, 2020
- Environmental Monitoring from the International Space Station - Novus Light Technologies Today - February 27th, 2020