While former President Donald Trump and Senator Minority Leader Mitch McConnell have been at odds with one another since Trump left office, both agree that removing the filibuster would ruin the Republican Party.
In a new podcast interview with Lisa Boothe, Trump warned Republicans that any efforts to eliminate the long-standing Senate filibuster would cause severe damage to the party.
Trump said McConnell was "hanging by a thread and if they get rid of the filibuster, if they knock it out, it will be catastrophic for the Republican Party."
McConnell, who has long advocated for keeping the filibuster, has also warned about abolishing the rule that allows the minority party in the Senate to force a debate on any issue before a vote.
"Rules like the filibuster, which requires 60 votes to advance most legislation, exist to block bad ideas from becoming law and to encourage bipartisan solutions. This design also stabilizes national policy from swinging with every shift of the political winds," McConnell wrote in an op-ed published by The Courier Journal on Monday. "The legislative filibuster is the essence of the Senate."
"The filibuster stops radical schemes like the Green New Deal and socialized health care that would devastate the Bluegrass," the senator wrote. "It protects Jeffersontown and Shively from being steamrolled by Brooklyn and San Francisco. Last year, the voters rehired me to use Kentucky's veto and protect our values."
Members of both the Republican Party and the Democratic Party have long used the filibuster to block legislative pushes from the opposing side. But with a tied Senate and two swing moderate Democrats who threaten the Biden administration's agenda, Senate Majority Chuck Schumer is facing mounting pressure from progressives to remove the filibuster.
Moving to a simple majority requirement in the Senate would allow for the Democrats to pass more of their bills, with Vice President Kamala Harris breaking the tie, but it would significantly limit the power of the Republican Party.
President Joe Biden, who spent more than three decades in the Senate, has signaled that he is in support of the filibuster.
Last week, Biden said, "You've got to work for the filibuster. It is almost getting to the point where democracy is having a hard time functioning."
Although Trump agreed with McConnell on the Senate provision, the former president continued to criticize McConnell for failing to overturn the results of the 2020 presidential election.
"But if you look at what happened in the election, Mitch McConnell should've fought. You know, he did nothing. He should've fought. They should've fought. That could never have, that could never have happened to a Democrat," Trump told Boothe on Monday."
"What happened to us with the presidential election could never have happened to the Democrats," he continued. "You would have had a revolution if the tables were turned, you would have literally had a revolution. And guys like Mitch McConnell, they don't fight. And now he's hanging by a thread. He's hanging by a thread."
Newsweek reached out to the Republican National Committee for comment but did not hear back before publication.
Read the original here:
- Donald Trump, Facing $590 Million in Debt Payments, Gets ... - May 4th, 2021
- Ted Cruz and Donald Trump Jr. mocked a new CIA recruitment ad in which a staffer identified as a millennial with anxiety - Yahoo News - May 4th, 2021
- Trump launches 'From the desk of Donald J. Trump' as potential Facebook ban looms - USA TODAY - May 4th, 2021
- Opinion | Tucker Carlson Is the New Donald Trump - The New York Times - May 4th, 2021
- Donald Trump relocating to New Jersey to jumpstart ... - April 29th, 2021
- Trumps Battle to Win the First 100 Days - POLITICO - April 29th, 2021
- Donald Trump makes late push for Susan Wright in special election to fill her late husband's U.S. House seat - The Texas Tribune - April 29th, 2021
- Donald Trump Seizes On Low Oscars Ratings To Bash Telecast: Dont Be So Politically Correct And Boring - Deadline - April 29th, 2021
- Trump allies fear his 2024 indecision is blowing chance to 'control' GOP: CNN - Business Insider - April 29th, 2021
- Donald Trump believes he would be on Mount Rushmore if he were a Democrat - Yahoo News - April 29th, 2021
- Its been exactly one year since Trump suggested injecting bleach. Weve never been the same. - POLITICO - April 29th, 2021
- Donald Trump is turning Arizona into the Area 51 of politics - The Arizona Republic - April 29th, 2021
- Donald Trump Believes He Would Be On Mount Rushmore If He Ran As A Democrat - OK! - April 29th, 2021
- Trump was pitched on founding a $15 billion 'conservative media powerhouse' called Trump Media Group - Business Insider - April 29th, 2021
- Donald Trump May Be Returning To Bedminster This Summer: Report - Patch.com - April 29th, 2021
- Court will hear case against Trump on JEDI - FCW.com - April 29th, 2021
- The 1990s card game that predicted 9/11, Donald Trump, Covid and the Capitol riot - Yahoo News - April 29th, 2021
- John McCain's Widow Cindy Blasts Donald Trump As A 'Snake Oil Salesman,' Says He Turned The Republican Party Into A 'Disgrace' - OK! - April 29th, 2021
- Did former President Donald Trump get the COVID vaccine ... - April 27th, 2021
- What happened during the Jan. 6 call between Donald Trump and Kevin McCarthy? - PolitiFact - April 27th, 2021
- Susan Wright endorsed by Donald Trump in Texas congressional election - The Texas Tribune - April 27th, 2021
- Hes Going to Say My Name - Slate - April 27th, 2021
- 'He Has Never Spoken The Truth': Twitter Erupts After Donald Trump Claims Wife Melania Never Had Plastic Surgery - OK! - April 27th, 2021
- Trump ally Collins won't run for Senate or Georgia governor - The Associated Press - April 27th, 2021
- Podcast Corner: The Line looks at the actions in Iraq of Donald Trump's favourite Navy Seal - Irish Examiner - April 27th, 2021
- Rachel Maddow Can't Believe Even Lysol Had To Set The World Straight On Donald Trump - HuffPost - April 27th, 2021
- GOP committee ousts treasurer after he admitted to not voting for Trump - Fox17 - April 27th, 2021
- Trump gives thumbs up on Posts push for lifesaving COVID vaccine - New York Post - April 27th, 2021
- Will Donald Trump run for president again, win in 2024? Bet on it - Las Vegas Review-Journal - April 25th, 2021
- Opinion: Donald Trump blazed a trail that clears the way for Joe Biden - Bangor Daily News - April 25th, 2021
- Donald Trump savagely mocked on Twitter over claims Melania had no work done Lying - Daily Express - April 25th, 2021
- Madam Speaker review: how Nancy Pelosi bested Bush and Trump - The Guardian - April 25th, 2021
- People are climbing over Trumps $15 billion border wall with $5 ladders - Business Insider - April 25th, 2021
- Could Donald Trump Jrs crass Die Hard meme on policing inadvertently encourage reform? - The Independent - April 25th, 2021
- National View: Trump loves rallies; so why aren't they all part of the historical record? - Duluth News Tribune - April 25th, 2021
- Letters to the editor: Readers defend the filibuster, call out Donald Trump and show appreciation to volunteers - The Topeka Capital-Journal - April 25th, 2021
- Defeat for Donald Trump and the Republicans: The following lawsuit is dropped - Prudent Press Agency - April 21st, 2021
- Donald Trump is ditching the spray tan, M&M's, and even ... - April 21st, 2021
- 'Beyond seriously:' Donald Trump (again) teases another presidential run in 2024 - USA TODAY - April 21st, 2021
- Foxconn mostly abandons $10 billion Wisconsin project touted by Donald Trump - Moneycontrol - April 21st, 2021
- Will Bill Barr Spill the Beans on Donald Trump? - Vanity Fair - April 21st, 2021
- Letter to the Editor: Americans, stand up against Donald Trump - Canton Repository - April 21st, 2021
- "If Biden Wants To Keep Our Country Safe...": Trump's Advice To Successor - NDTV - April 21st, 2021
- Trump slams Biden over withdrawing troops from Afghanistan on September 11 - Boston Herald - April 21st, 2021
- Mike Lindell pranked on livestream by caller pretending to be Donald Trump - Yahoo News - April 21st, 2021
- What Ever Happened to Donald Trump? - The Atlantic - April 17th, 2021
- Donald Trumps 757 Could Be Worth Millions On The Ground - Forbes - April 17th, 2021
- 10 Things in Politics: Donald Trump ditches his spray tan - Business Insider - April 17th, 2021
- Jake Paul: Donald Trump Jr. promotes Youtuber's fight with Ben Askern - Insider - April 17th, 2021
- Borat Trolls Donald Trump's Election Lies In Never-Before-Seen Footage Teaser - HuffPost - April 17th, 2021
- Donald Trump hit with $1 trillion lawsuit over massive COVID-19 death toll in US - Salon - April 17th, 2021
- Donald Trump is facing yet another new lawsuit this one from a NJ parolee | Kelly - NorthJersey.com - April 17th, 2021
- Trump Allies Work to Craft a Platform Going Beyond Fealty to Him - Bloomberg - April 17th, 2021
- Where is Donald Trump? - TRT World - April 15th, 2021
- Meet the Woman Who Could Send Donald Trump to Prison - Vanity Fair - April 15th, 2021
- Heres Everything We Know About Donald Trumps Personal Finances - Yahoo Finance - April 15th, 2021
- Donald Trump Caused The Techlash - Techdirt - April 15th, 2021
- Pastor Johnny Enlow Says People Will Understand Donald Trump's Bravery When They Get to Heaven - Newsweek - April 15th, 2021
- How Rich Are Joe Biden, Donald Trump and All the Other Living US Presidents? - Yahoo Finance - April 15th, 2021
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Donald Trump will again be inaugurated as president - The Albany Herald - April 15th, 2021
- Just How Rich Are Donald Trump, President Biden and These Other Big Names? - Yahoo Finance - April 15th, 2021
- Donald Trump will again be inaugurated as president - The Albany Herald - April 15th, 2021
- Numbers show Donald Trump lost big with non-believers, but many religious voters stuck with him | Opinion - pennlive.com - April 15th, 2021
- Bidens gamble: Will pulling troops revive extremist threat? - KXAN.com - April 15th, 2021
- Whether you trust Donald Trump, or Joe Biden, or Kristi Noem, or Dusty Johnson, weve all gotten the vaccine - KELOLAND.com - April 15th, 2021
- Whats Donald Trump up to these days? I tried to find out via Instagram - The Guardian - April 11th, 2021
- Donald Trumps net worth dropped by one-third during his presidency - FOX 6 Milwaukee - April 11th, 2021
- Revisiting 2016's 'Donald Trump's The Art of the Deal: The Movie' and the Comedy of the Trump Era - International Policy Digest - April 11th, 2021
- Former President Trump's PAC has $85 million on hand as he prepares for midterms and possible 2024 run - CNBC - April 11th, 2021
- The National Archives won't be able to host Donald Trump's tweets on Twitter - Yahoo Tech - April 11th, 2021
- Milwaukee Asks to Sanction Donald Trump Over 'Baseless' Election Lawsuit - Bloomberg - April 11th, 2021
- Donald Trump and the Art of the Faustian Deal - The National Interest - April 11th, 2021
- Boehner blames Trump, regrets impeaching Clinton and other things we learned from his memoirs - The Cincinnati Enquirer - April 11th, 2021
- Trump held steady among believers at the ballot it was the nonreligious vote he lost in 2020 - Salon - April 11th, 2021
- To hold Donald Trump to account for the Jan. 6 riot, Marcy Kaptur joins a lawsuit against him: This Week in t - cleveland.com - April 11th, 2021
- Donald Trump - Forbes - March 31st, 2021
- Donald Trump Sued by 2 Capitol Police Officers Over Jan. 6 Insurrection - TMZ - March 31st, 2021
- Why Donald Trump Is Fuming Over Dr. Fauci And Dr. Birx - The List - March 31st, 2021
- The Unlikely Team of Prosecutors Hunting Trump in Georgia - The Daily Beast - March 31st, 2021
- Donald Trump ally Matt Gaetz faces sex trafficking probe over alleged relationship with teen girl - Stuff.co.nz - March 31st, 2021