Jailed journalists around the globe. How can it be?
First Amendment aggressions in the United States. How can it be?
Devious despots misusing power and preying upon humanitywithholding information because knowledge is power. Silencing the other side of the story. Fear of losing control feeds their depravity. Dictators hiding behind castle walls and armies of destruction for those who dare criticize.
Freedom of the press is held hostage as journalists observe through prison bars. The courageous story-tellers that sacrifice personal safety for the human rights of others. But their lips will not be nailed shut like a wooden coffin. Truth finds a way to seep out of the cracks and crannies of the grave.
Duvar English, an independent newspaper in Turkey, revealed the following facts in a 2019 article. There are 250 imprisoned journalists in the world, nearly 50 of whom are in Turkey, according to a report by the New York-based Committee to Protect Journalists (CPJ). Turkey follows China with the second largest number of journalists jailed with 47, marking a decrease from 68 last yearPenned by CPJ editor Elana Beiser, the report noted that over 100 news organizations have been closed under the current Turkish government and that many working journalists are being accused of terrorism and are in legal battlesSaudi Arabia and Egypt tied for third place with 26 journalists incarcerated. http://www.duvarenglish.com.
Reporters Without Borders (RSF) lends bulletproof vests and helmets at no cost to journalists travelling to dangerous areas.
Freedom of Press in USA
Before the thirteen colonies declared independence from Great Britain, the British government attempted to censor the American media by prohibiting newspapers from publishing unfavorable information and opinions. http://www.history.com.
The First Amendment, which protects freedom of the press, was adopted on December 15, 1791, as part of the Bill of Rights.
The U.S. Press Freedom Tracker, which documents First Amendment aggressions in the United States, has collected student journalism-based incidents at both the university and high school levels. Since its launch in 2017, the Tracker has documented five cases of high school newspapers being censored or placed under prior review for their coverage of controversial topics. At the university level, it has collected two arrests, two physical attacks and three border stop involving student journalists, as well as three cases of subpoenas or legal orders. http://www.freedom.press.
What Can Citizens in the US Do?
Support your local newspaper and pay for the news you consume. Read local, state, and national newspapers and write Letters to the Editors about free press issues.
Join or donate to Reporters Without Borders at http://www.rsf.org. Reporters Without Borders USA (RSF USA) is the US office of the global organization. Read about the 100 Information Heroes from countries abroad.
The Committee to Protect Journalists is an independent, nonprofit organization that promotes press freedom worldwide. CPJ is made up of about 40 experts around the world, with headquarters in New York City. When press freedom violations occur, CPJ mobilizes a network of correspondents who report and take action on behalf of those targeted. http://www.cpj.org.
Be aware of fake news outlets and fake news on social media. PolitiFact is a fact-checking website that rates the accuracy of claims by elected officials and others at http://www.politifact.com. And Snopes.com is an independent publication fact-checking site online. Fact-checking and accountability journalism from AP journalists around the globe at FactCheck@ap.org.
Freedom of the Press, if it means anything at all, means the freedom to criticize and oppose. George Orwell.
Melissa Martin, Ph.D., is an author, columnist,
educator and therapist. She lives in Ohio. Contact her at firstname.lastname@example.org.
See the article here:
- Madrid's COVID vaccinated care home residents relish freedom on theatre trip - Reuters - February 25th, 2021
- Coronavirus: Home tests will give Germany 'more freedom' - DW (English) - February 25th, 2021
- How the Biden-Harris Administration Can Advance Peace & Freedom At Home and Abroad - Just Security - February 25th, 2021
- EDITORIAL: The freedom to read The Golden Star - Golden Star - February 25th, 2021
- OPINION: Do we have freedom of speech in media? - UNCW Seahawk - February 25th, 2021
- UNLU: On Freedom and activism - Yale Daily News - February 25th, 2021
- We who believe in freedom cannot rest until it comes - scalawagmagazine.org - February 25th, 2021
- Filmmaker Anurag Basu Opens Up on Using Freedom of Creativity and Misusing It - India West - February 25th, 2021
- On 'Comfort Women' and Academic Freedom: A Rebuttal - The Diplomat - February 25th, 2021
- The Freedom of Snowshoe and Ski - Splice Today - February 25th, 2021
- Operation Iraqi Freedom and Operation New Dawn Fast Facts - ABC17NEWS - ABC17News.com - February 25th, 2021
- Freedom from fear: For the economy to grow, democracy cant be in recession - The Times of India Blog - February 25th, 2021
- EV Battery Tech Announces the Launch of the IoniX Pro RV Freedom Battery - Canada NewsWire - February 25th, 2021
- Freedom camping needs new regulations and foreign tourists arent the only villains - The Conversation AU - February 25th, 2021
- D.C. United transfer rumors, SheBelieves action & more: Freedom Kicks for 2/22/21 - Black And Red United - February 25th, 2021
- Did Congress Rename Their French Fries to 'Freedom Fries' Before the Iraq War? - Snopes.com - February 6th, 2021
- Boat of the Month: Freedom - National Fisherman - February 6th, 2021
- A Minnesota sharpshooter rescued an eagle caught in tree. Now the raptor has found a forever home. - Minneapolis Star Tribune - February 6th, 2021
- RTW: Be skeptical of candidate claims in the town of Freedom - Olean Times Herald - February 6th, 2021
- Carry the torch: Freedom Riders reflect on civil rights and Black Lives Matter movements - Westport News - February 6th, 2021
- SJ's Veno wins Jon Fleischaker Freedom of Information Award - State-Journal.com - February 6th, 2021
- California Black Freedom Fund launches $100 million initiative to support 'Black-led organizing' - ABC News - February 6th, 2021
- Hong Kong: New national security guidelines on schools further stifle freedom of expression on campus - Amnesty International - February 6th, 2021
- Freedom, and restraint - Pittsburgh Catholic - February 6th, 2021
- "Censorship by Zoom and Other Private Platforms": The UC Academic Freedom Committee's Concerns - Reason - February 6th, 2021
- Americas First Black Regiment Earned Their Freedom by Fighting Against the British - History - February 6th, 2021
- Professor Explores Black Freedom on Native Land | Pittwire | University of Pittsburgh - UPJ Athletics - February 6th, 2021
- MI Research: What Does Freedom, Inc. Believe And Why Won't The Mainstream Media Talk About Their Radical Beliefs? - MacIverInstitute - February 6th, 2021
- Elation Hypercars Teaming Up With Cascadia Motion To Bring The Freedom EV To Life - CarScoops - February 6th, 2021
- UN expresses its concern regarding situation with freedom of expression in Ukraine - 112 International - February 6th, 2021
- Dolly Parton Says She Turned Down Presidential Medal Of Freedom Twice - NPR - February 2nd, 2021
- Rob Gronkowski: I have freedom to be myself in Tampa Bay - WEEI - February 2nd, 2021
- Dont fear educational freedom, fear force - The Daily Breeze - February 2nd, 2021
- The Imperative of Integration - Stages of Freedom to Host Conversation With Philosopher Anderson - GoLocalProv - February 2nd, 2021
- Firebrand Roots Contrast Legislative Hopes as the Texas Freedom Caucus Enters Third Session - The Texan - February 2nd, 2021
- Watch out Pete! Guess who's the target of a snowball fight in New Freedom - WBAL TV Baltimore - February 2nd, 2021
- Kathmandu's HR lead on flexibility, freedom and the great outdoors - Human Resources Director - February 2nd, 2021
- Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene says freedom is 'earned with the price of blood' in newly-resurfaced video - The Week - February 2nd, 2021
- Ivermectin court ruling hailed as 'breakthrough for healthcare freedom in Covid-19 battle' - IOL - February 2nd, 2021
- CNN proves the left doesnt believe in freedom of speech, only freedom of reach as media targeted in wake of Capitol riot - RT - February 2nd, 2021
- Rob Gronkowski likes the freedom of being yourself in Tampa - NBC Sports - January 31st, 2021
- Feb. 1 marks National Freedom Day, observing the end of slavery - FOX 2 Detroit - January 31st, 2021
- Jimmie Allen Yearns For Better Days With Brad Paisley Duet "Freedom Was a Highway" - CMT.com - January 31st, 2021
- Jimmie Allen and Brad Paisley Cruise on Freedom Was a Highway - Sounds Like Nashville - January 31st, 2021
- Britain Upholding 'Freedom and Autonomy' With New HK Visas - VOA Asia - January 31st, 2021
- LETTERS: Freedom of the Press | Opinion | stwnewspress.com - Stillwater News Press - January 31st, 2021
- Social media platforms and freedom of expression | Daily Sabah - Daily Sabah - January 31st, 2021
- Olympic and Paralympic Sponsors Must Protect Athletes' Rights to Freedom of Expression - Around the Rings - January 31st, 2021
- Denmark urged to respect religious freedom - The Lutheran World Federation - January 31st, 2021
- Caladrius Biosciences Treats First Patient in the Phase 2b FREEDOM Trial of CLBS16 for the Treatment of Coronary Microvascular Dysfunction - Cath Lab... - January 31st, 2021
- Marjorie Taylor Greene Warned That Freedom Comes With 'Price of Blood' in Pre-Election Vid - The Daily Beast - January 31st, 2021
- Brad Paisley Joins Jimmie Allen on New Single 'Freedom Was a Highway' - PopCulture.com - January 31st, 2021
- routine and a return to freedom! (by Pedro Felner) - haveeruonline - January 31st, 2021
- How Trump cheapened the Presidential Medal of Freedom - Los Angeles Times - January 17th, 2021
- Ridgefield Letter to the Editor: Freedom of Speech - HamletHub - January 17th, 2021
- In a Shocker, Bill Belichick Spurns Trumps Medal of Freedom - The Nation - January 17th, 2021
- Intuit's Greg Johnson crafts strategy beyond TurboTax, aims to helps consumers gain financial freedom - The San Diego Union-Tribune - January 17th, 2021
- We Can't Have Religious Freedom Without Reproductive Freedom - Religion Dispatches - January 17th, 2021
- Freedom wont survive a world where every lethal virus triggers another lockdown - Telegraph.co.uk - January 17th, 2021
- COVID-19 And The Decline Of Global Civic Freedom - The Organization for World Peace - January 17th, 2021
- New legislation could see universities forced to protect freedom of speech - Express - January 17th, 2021
- Silicon Valley and Its Unique Challenge to Freedom of Speech - White House Chronicle - January 17th, 2021
- 'Enjoy the Freedom': Orphaned Kangaroos Return to the Wild After Release by Animal Sanctuary - Yahoo News - January 17th, 2021
- Social media 'censorship' and freedom of speech | Columns - The Mountaineer - January 17th, 2021
- Big Tech declares war: 'Woke capitalism instead of freedom' - Washington Times - January 17th, 2021
- Social media and 'free speech': Is it time for government regulations? - Milford Daily News - January 17th, 2021
- Covid-19 and the long road to freedom - RTE.ie - January 17th, 2021
- Freedom tries to shake off shutdown rust in win over Ellwood City - The Times - January 15th, 2021
- Revolution Brewing Reveals Freedom Variety 12-Pack of Session Sours - Brewbound.com - January 15th, 2021
- Poland drafts internet freedom of speech bill - The First News - January 15th, 2021
- EDITORIAL: The Inconvenient Truth About 'Freedom of the Press' - Pagosa Daily Post - January 15th, 2021
- Liberty is perverted when 'freedom' and 'individualism' mean ignoring facts and science - Norwich Bulletin - January 15th, 2021
- Opinion: With freedom comes responsibility and that applies to wearing masks - The Colorado Sun - January 15th, 2021
- About That Presidential Medal of Freedom: Revisiting the Nunes Memo - Lawfare - January 15th, 2021
- Grace Farms and Herman Miller launch face masks to support eradicating slavery in the built environment - The Architect's Newspaper - January 15th, 2021
- Trump, tech and TV have throttled press freedom, journalists say - Reuters - January 15th, 2021
- Statement of NewsOne TV channel on National Council's interference into freedom of thought - 112 International - January 15th, 2021
- Indonesia's Repression Hasn't Broken the West Papuan Freedom Struggle - Jacobin magazine - January 15th, 2021
- Freedom of association and the Big Tech purge - The Boston Globe - January 15th, 2021
- Guest opinion: Freedom and democracy come with corresponding duties - Daily Herald - January 15th, 2021