Gene Strandberg, Gilpin County. Fred Koch, father of Charles and David, was a founding member of the John Birch Society, a right-fringe group that spouted conspiracy theories about communist subversion plots in the U.S. These two sons would organize and lead the real subversion one generation later.
Fred helped Stalins engineers build 15 oil refineries, establishing Russias oil industry. The American businessman and Nazi sympathizer William Rhodes Davis hired Winkler-Koch Engineering to supply the plans and oversee construction of a huge oil refinery in Hitlers Germany, one of the few in Germany that could produce high octane fuel for fighter planes.
The John Birch Society tried to impeach Chief Justice Earl Warren, after SCOTUS desegregated public schools. In 1968 Fred wanted a Birch Society member to run for President on a platform of segregation and the abolition of all income taxes.
In 1966 Charles was an executive and trustee of the Freedom School, founded in 1956 in Larkspur, Colorado by Robert LeFevre, who promoted the abolition of the state. The school opposed anti-poverty programs, Medicare, and forced integration. It taught that robber barons were heroes, taxes were theft, slavery was less evil than a military draft, and the Bill of Rights should consist of only one right, the right to own property.
According to a 1982 Bill Koch deposition, Charles led his brothers David and Bill in an attempt to blackmail his brother Fred out of his share of the family business by threatening to tell their father that Fred was gay, resulting in Freds disinheritance. The plot failed, because Fred wasnt gay, and he wouldnt give in. Exposing his character, Charles gave Fred so little notice of their mothers death that Fred could not get home in time for her funeral.
In 1974 Charles told a group of businessmen, The development of a well-financed cadre of sound proponents of the free enterprise philosophy is the most critical need facing us today. In 1976 the Center for Libertarian Studies was founded with $65,000 from Charles Koch. At a Center conference Charles suggested the movement attract young people because, that was the only group open to a radically different social philosophy. Charles was supported by Leonard Liggio, a libertarian historian with the Kochs Institute for Humane Studies from 1974-1998. He lauded the Nazis youth movement and said libertarians should organize university students to create group identity.
Former Birch Society member George Pearson presented a paper that was adopted for their higher education indoctrination grants. It proposed funding private institutions within universities, where they could influence who would be teaching and what would be taught. Pearson said it would be essential to use ambiguous and misleading names and hide the programs true agenda.
In a 1978 article for Libertarian Review, Charles wrote, Ideas do not spread by themselves; they spread only through people, which means we need a movement. Our movement must destroy the current statist paradigm.
In 1980 they tried through election, with David Koch as the Libertarian candidate for Vice-President. The platform called for the abolition of: the Federal Election Commission and all campaign finance laws; Medicare, Medicaid and all other government health care programs; Social Security; all income taxes and corporate taxes; the Securities and Exchange Commission; the Environmental Protection Agency; the Federal Bureau of Investigation; the Central Intelligence Agency; the Food and Drug Administration, the Occupational Safety and Health Administration; minimum wage laws; child labor laws; seat belt laws; public schools and all welfare programs for the poor. The parallel with ALEC and the current Republican goals is not coincidental.
Even arch-conservative William F. Buckley called their views anarcho-totalitarianism. They got only 1% of the vote, so they decided infiltrating universities, establishing think tanks, and co-opting the Republican Party was a better way to destroy the prevalent statist paradigm.
In the 1980s their disciple Richard Fink wrote The Structure of Social Change, which Fink described as a three-phase takeover of American politics. Phase 1 is an investment in academia, where the ideas to achieve their goals would be born.
Phase 2 is the establishment of think tanks to turn the ideas into palatable policies.
Phase 3 is forming front groups (promoted as grassroots), to influence officeholders to enact the policies.
If the Kochs were truly free market libertarians, they would have opposed the government bailout during the financial collapse, which the House of Representatives did reject. After the stock market dropped 777 points in one day, the Kochs and their think tank, Americans for Prosperity, scrapped ideology in favor of money. Two days later a list of conservative groups now supporting the bailout was shown to Republican legislators. The Senate soon passed TARP with overwhelming bipartisan support.
By 2009 Supreme Court Justices Scalia and Thomas were speakers at the Koch donor summits, which are secretive to the point of paranoia. Attendees are told to destroy all document copies, not to post any related information online, and to keep notes and materials secure. Names of guests and agendas are kept secret, sign up is done through Koch staff, not resort staff, name tags are required, all electronic devices are confiscated before sessions, and white-noise emitting loudspeakers are placed facing outward to defeat any eavesdropping attempts. One would think they had something to hide. Sources include politico.com January 2016, the New Yorker August 30, 2010, and prwatch.org January, 2016
Next time: secret money
(Originally published in the December 5, 2019, print edition of The Mountain-Ear.)
- Theres no right to infect - Sarasota Herald-Tribune - July 21st, 2020
- The Disastrous Handling of the Pandemic is Libertarianism in Action, Will Americans Finally Say Good Riddance? - CounterPunch - July 21st, 2020
- Justin Amash's Tenure as the Libertarian Party's First Member in Congress Will Be Shortlived - Reason - July 21st, 2020
- You don't have the right to put others at risk by not wearing a mask - Newsday - July 21st, 2020
- The Libertarian Case for Immigration (and Against Trump) - Lawfare - July 21st, 2020
- We have now reached peak Libertarianism and it is literally killing us - AlterNet - July 21st, 2020
- Ted Cruz: Future of conservatism is populist and libertarian - Washington Examiner - July 21st, 2020
- Are the British conformist or libertarian? Our face mask response is telling - The Guardian - July 21st, 2020
- Chad Blair: There's A High Bar For Legislative Candidates Without A - Honolulu Civil Beat - July 21st, 2020
- 3 highlights from Penn Jillette's Big Think interview on 2020, cancel culture, and friendship - Big Think - July 21st, 2020
- They praise John Lewis but hate Black voting rights and Black Lives Matter. - Mother Jones - July 21st, 2020
- Md. on the Hook for $27K in Legal Fees to Conservative Group - Josh Kurtz - July 21st, 2020
- Why Boris Johnson is having to sacrifice his libertarian values in the battle against coronavirus - Telegraph.co.uk - July 21st, 2020
- Weber Reaffirms Commitment to Preserving 2nd Amendment Rights - TAPinto.net - July 21st, 2020
- Your Illinois News Radar Longshot day at the ISBE - The Capitol Fax Blog - July 21st, 2020
- Those who claim wearing masks to be un-American haven't thought through the problem - KRWG - July 21st, 2020
- N.Y. Primary: Who Is on the Ballot? - The New York Times - June 22nd, 2020
- We Watched the Libertarian Party Vice Presidential Debate So You Didn't Have To - Reason - May 27th, 2020
- That Time the Libertarian Party Debated the Private Ownership of Nuclear Weapons - Reason - May 27th, 2020
- The truth about 'I'm with her' - CNN - May 27th, 2020
- You Dont Have to Like the Decree, But Wear Face Masks Anyway - Bacon's Rebellion - May 27th, 2020
- Justin Amash, Ross Perot and the third-party future: Ranked choice voting is the answer - Salon - May 27th, 2020
- An outbreak anywhere is an outbreak everywhere - Modern Diplomacy - May 14th, 2020
- Libertarian Party To Choose Its Presidential Ticket in Virtual Vote Over Memorial Day Weekend - Reason - May 11th, 2020
- Johnson address shows he has been swayed by hawks in his cabinet - The Guardian - May 11th, 2020
- Dershowitz Defends and Criticizes Flynn by Railing Against Entrapment and Fair-Weather Civil Libertarians - Law & Crime - May 11th, 2020
- Analysis: Reeves tries to balance concerns of health, jobs - Associated Press - May 11th, 2020
- Originalism, Common-Good Originalism, and Common-Good Constitutionalism - Reason - May 11th, 2020
- Libertarian, Green parties sue over Illinois election rules - The Southern - April 9th, 2020
- Lawsuit Filed by Green and Libertarian Parties Over Petitioning Issues Because of Stay at Home Order - wcsjnews.com - April 9th, 2020
- This Libertarian Country Defeated The Coronavirus With The Free Market - Patheos - April 9th, 2020
- Is Passover the Most Libertarian Holiday? - Reason - April 9th, 2020
- Liberty of Movement and Assembly - Reason - April 9th, 2020
- The Most-Watched Show in America Is a Moral Failure - The Atlantic - April 9th, 2020
- The Coronavirus Outbreak Is Exposing Government Follies on Many Levels - Reason - April 9th, 2020
- Three political philosophies, and how they apply to the coronavirus pandemic - BioEdge - April 9th, 2020
- A Little-Known Democratic Governor Is Breaking Out in Kentucky - The Intercept - April 9th, 2020
- The Coronavirus Pandemic Has Set Off A Massive Expansion Of Government Surveillance. Civil Libertarians Aren't Sure What To Do. - BuzzFeed News - March 31st, 2020
- Aiming for KO in KY The only Republican primary challenger with the backing of the RJC - Jewish Insider - March 31st, 2020
- In a pandemic, Nobody thinks we should smoke more weed - The Boston Globe - March 31st, 2020
- How the Right Went Far-Right - The American Prospect - March 31st, 2020
- Margaret Thatcher, Libertarianism, and the Etherization of the Single Tax - Merion West - March 24th, 2020
- On the 2020 Campaign Trail, Where's the Truth on the Economy? - The Liberator Online - March 24th, 2020
- In Remembrance of Jon Basil Utley (1934-2020) | Cato @ Liberty - Cato Institute - March 24th, 2020
- The coronavirus crisis ignites a bonfire of Conservative party orthodoxies - The Guardian - March 24th, 2020
- letters to the Editor: March 5, 2020 | Opinion - Indianapolis Recorder - March 5th, 2020
- What to know ahead of Super Tuesday primary in North Carolina - Charlotte Post - March 5th, 2020
- Missouris presidential primary is March 10. Heres what to know before you vote - The Rolla Daily News - March 5th, 2020
- Without Government, Who Will Build The Roads? - The Libertarian Republic - March 5th, 2020
- Missouri's Presidential Primary Is March 10 Here's What Voters Need To Know - KCUR - March 5th, 2020
- Here's who's officially in the federal, statewide and Fulton elections on qualifying's Day 3 - The Catoosa County News - March 5th, 2020
- Voters in Fayetteville and across NC to make choices in Tuesday's primary election - The Fayetteville Observer - March 5th, 2020
- Evolution in action in the Middle East - Boulder Weekly - March 5th, 2020
- Today is primary day. Here's what you need to know. - Hickory Daily Record - March 5th, 2020
- Qualifying for 2020 election has started in Georgia. Here's who has made the cut - Forsyth County News Online - March 5th, 2020
- Andrew Yang launches nonprofit aimed at making his former campaign's ideas a reality - WICZ - March 5th, 2020
- Senior services support,county commissioners races on primary ballot; Here is a list of what you - Galion Inquirer - January 27th, 2020
- Republican Party chairs chose Jacobs as 27th District Congressional candidate - The Daily News Online - January 27th, 2020
- Tyler Cowen on "State Capacity Libertarianism" II: Is it the Right Path for Libertarians to Follow? - Reason - January 25th, 2020
- Libertarianism and assassination - Nolan Chart LLC - January 25th, 2020
- Peter Thiels Latest Venture Is the American Government - New York Magazine - January 25th, 2020
- Six things to know about the primary election - Shelby Star - January 25th, 2020
- Joe Rogans Endorsement Is One of the Most Influential in America - VICE - January 25th, 2020
- State Election Board Releases Official 2020 Voter Registration Statistics - The Marlow Review - January 25th, 2020
- Tyler Cowen on "State Capacity Libertarianism" I: Is it the Wave of the "Smart" Libertarian Future? - Reason - January 18th, 2020
- A Conversation with a Libertarian Observed | Mark Shea - Patheos - January 18th, 2020
- The Evolving Libertarianism of Neil Peart - National Review - January 18th, 2020
- Why Libertarians Have a Love-hate Relationship With the 10th Amendment - HowStuffWorks - January 18th, 2020
- Did Vermin Supreme Win the New Hampshire Libertarian Primary? - Heavy.com - January 18th, 2020
- Last of the Hollywood libertarians: why the outrage over Vince Vaughn's handshake with Trump? - The Telegraph - January 18th, 2020
- Elizabeth Warrens evasions and other commentary - New York Post - January 18th, 2020
- State Election Board releases official 2020 voter registration statistics - Claremore Daily Progress - January 18th, 2020
- Liberty and Death - Splice Today - January 18th, 2020
- Lincoln Chafee on SS Privatization, Drugs, and When Taxation is Theft - The Libertarian Republic - January 18th, 2020
- Does Gun Girl Kaitlin Bennett Hate America And Also The Constitution? - Wonkette - January 18th, 2020
- Justin Amash's Biggest Fiscally Conservative National Donors Are Abandoning His Re-election Bid - Reason - January 18th, 2020
- In California: Get ready to matter in the presidential primary - USA TODAY - January 18th, 2020
- 'Sister Wives': Kody Brown Is Going to Hang Out With This 2020 Presidential Candidate - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - January 18th, 2020
- The Libertarian Movement Needs a Kick in the Pants - Reason - January 7th, 2020
- What libertarianism has become and will become State Capacity Libertarianism - Hot Air - January 7th, 2020