A KIND-HEARTED Flintshire truck driver has been helping to feed the homeless in Wrexham every week without fail for four years.
Matt Payne, 42, from Flint, provides hot meals and supplies at Queens Square every Wednesday from 8pm with his partner Sian Bradley, cousins Hel Smart and Carrina Edwards from Denbigh, and volunteer Matty Edwards who lives in Bagillt.
He said: We take out 30 hot meals and 30 snack bags every week. I have various cooks around Flintshire who help make the meals and put the bags together.
Then we use three cars to take it all down to Queens Square. Any left-over food is given away to the local night shelter so it doesnt go to waste.
At the moment were in desperate need of warm clothes, sleeping bags and roll mats which provide insulation.
After hearing about his selfless work from a client, Hadlow Edwards Wealth Management were keen to support his efforts.
Emily Mooney, who works as a PA for the company which is based in the former Wrexham Lager brewery building on Central Road, has been coordinating a staff collection which includes vital equipment such as sleeping bags and insulated roll mats as well as scores of food snacks.
Mr Payne said: Im really grateful to Hadlow Edwards for helping us out with this.
Theyve heard about what we do and know Ive been doing it for a long time so it will get to the people who need it. Im not a charity so I wont take money, I give out a shopping list instead!
We help between 20 and 30 people every week. Their backgrounds vary. A lot have addiction or mental health problems.
Ive put a takeaway carton in an ex solicitors hands before. He lost his wife and kids and ended up homeless. I always says youre only a couple of pay-checks or a couple of bad decisions away from being there.
Emily Mooney said: We heard about Matts wonderful work via a client and were keen to lend a hand in any way we could.
Were very proud to be part of the Wrexham community and want to support it as much as possible.
Sadly, more and more people are finding themselves living on the streets without food or any bedding, simple things we take for granted.
We asked Matt what part we could play and he said they were desperate for sleeping equipment and snacks so we immediately launched a collection in the office, which is still running and mounting up every day.
Hopefully this small gesture will make a big difference to the homeless community in Wrexham, and we applaud the work Matt continues to do on a weekly basis.
Matt was working for a skip hire firm when he was inspired to start helping the homeless following an encounter behind a retail premises in Wrexham town centre.
He explained: There was a guy huddled up and as I dont carry any money with me when Im working I didnt have anything to offer him.
Now normally Id go alright mate? and have a conversation, I chat to everyone. But on this occasion I just didnt think that would help him and I ended up ignoring him as I collected the skip.
It was the last time I ever did ignore a homeless person because I felt so bad. I was driving away thinking what can I do to help? What needs to be done? All day it wrecked my head.
At the time I was part of a motorcycle club so when I got home I put a post up on the Facebook group. I told everyone how it had made me feel so one of the members said to me what you going to about it then?
So I thought to myself what do they need? At first I started taking five or six meals every Wednesday. Then I put a Facebook appeal out locally and started getting donations.
Coats, socks, toiletries, you name it - everything that we take for granted. I got overwhelmed by peoples help. They felt the same as me, guilty that they werent helping but not knowing what needed to be done.
For the first month I was going out every Wednesday and trawling the streets looking for homeless people and finding them in various corners and shop doors.
Then I said Id be at Queens Square from 8pm every week, whatever the weather, and now I dont ever need to leave there.
The trust and respect is there. They know I will turn up. I only ever miss one week a year and thats to go on a family holiday and even then I get cover. They even help unload the car and set the table up.
Matts support for the homeless community goes beyond providing weekly meals and clothing supplies.
Hes also organised charity events and last year spent a week sleeping rough on the streets of Chester to raise awareness of the plight of homeless people in the city.
Matt said: I slept rough in Chester for a week to help raise awareness. It was the scariest time of my life. I lived alongside the homeless people.
The public view of you is the hardest thing. You had people crossing the road just to avoid you.
I left my rucksack and sleeping bag in one of the soup kitchens and headed back out into the street and the difference in how people viewed you because you didnt stand out with your sleeping bag was an eye opener.
That person who is sat there with their sleeping bag is someones son or father. Theyre not an alien.
Matts crusade to provide homeless people with things that society often takes for granted has even led to him landing a new job with Sealand-based Dandys Topsoil.
He got to know owner Adam Dandy who does a lot of work to support the homeless in Chester and began driving for the company 12 months ago.
Can you help Matt to help the homeless? Find Matt on Facebook under Matt Pyne.
Read the original post:
- MOL vessel GAS AGILITY Undergoes LNG Bunkering to the world's largest LNG fueled container vessel - American Journal of Transportation - November 22nd, 2020
- The Navy is offering bonuses up to $125,000 to keep SEAL officers in uniform - Business Insider - Business Insider - November 22nd, 2020
- Veterans Day Observed with Caution in Great Falls - Virginia Connection Newspapers - November 22nd, 2020
- The spirits of Christmas: drinkable homemade gifts recipes - The Guardian - November 22nd, 2020
- Shipping industry welcomes IMO decision to give further consideration to USD 5 billion fund to accelerate decarbonization - American Journal of... - November 22nd, 2020
- Castor Oil for Hair: The Pros and Cons, According to Experts - MarieClaire.com - November 22nd, 2020
- At-home medication disposal to address rise in overdoses - Gainesville Sun - November 22nd, 2020
- Innovative retail concept Egg to launch in SA this November - Bizcommunity.com - November 17th, 2020
- JPG on board as Airfields progresses - Place North West - November 17th, 2020
- Sealand firing times 26 October to 13 November 2020 (Updated 26 October 2020) - GOV.UK - October 27th, 2020
- Going green grows jobs and cuts pollution - IOL - October 27th, 2020
- Another link in the chain - UNC Chapell Hill - October 9th, 2020
- Global and Asia Pacific Myristyl Alcohol (CAS 112 72 1) Market to Witness Huge Growth by 2027 Best Companies included in report KLK OLEO, KAO... - October 9th, 2020
- Fighting hunger with the Million Meal Movement - WISHTV.com - October 9th, 2020
- Diving into the history of the Marlborough Sounds reveals a much-changed seascape - Stuff.co.nz - October 9th, 2020
- Hundreds break covid rules to watch 'illegal street race' over the border - North Wales Live - September 18th, 2020
- Third attempt to build 150 homes on Chester flood risk area branded 'nonsense' - Cheshire Live - September 18th, 2020
- The full list of North Wales schools which have reported coronavirus cases - North Wales Live - September 18th, 2020
- Do you remember these golden goals? Welsh stars who have scored real belters - LeaderLive - June 20th, 2020
- Heres Why Sealand Capital Galaxy (LON:SCGL) Must Use Its Cash Wisely - Simply Wall St - March 24th, 2020
- Man who went to see son play in band caught drink-driving on way home - LeaderLive - March 24th, 2020
- Man stabbed 56 times tells court his friend attacked him on night he's 'living over and over' - North Wales Live - March 5th, 2020
- 26 Sustainability efforts of the fashion industry in February 2020 - FashionUnited UK - March 5th, 2020
- Meet the sponsor: Sealand Pacific Seafood Trading - Caterer Middle East - March 2nd, 2020
- Reporter takes to the skies: Qualicum Beach flight school now up and running - vancouverislandfreedaily.com - March 2nd, 2020
- Photographer from Deeside on 'cloud nine' with accolade - LeaderLive - February 27th, 2020
- China firms in $10 billion share sale rush as funding rules eased amid virus worries - Reuters - February 27th, 2020
- The Lunar New Year's most talked-about watches - High Horology Journal - February 27th, 2020
- Christmas saved in Sealand as Santa will be coming to the town - LeaderLive - November 30th, 2019
- Rare images of Chester FC's Sealand Road home after it's closure in 1990 - Cheshire Live - October 31st, 2019
- Major police incident on Sealand Road as Texaco garage was shut off to public - Cheshire Live - October 27th, 2019
- Sealand Capital Galaxy (LON:SCGL) Will Have To Spend Its Cash Wisely - Simply Wall St - October 27th, 2019
- Bloodied stab victim collapsed on Texaco garage floor while the other 'bought beer and energy drinks' - Daily Post - October 27th, 2019
- Moshe Oved silver ring, rare British petrol pump globe and William Gladstone's grandfather clock six auction highlights that caught bidders' eyes in... - October 27th, 2019
- Appeal launched over refusal of plans to store cars and caravans on green barrier land in Sealand - Deeside.com - October 20th, 2019
- Coleg Cambria volunteers clean-up streets and rivers of Deeside for community event - Wales247 - October 20th, 2019
- Land and whole farms launched as supply improves in Wales - FarmersWeekly - August 18th, 2017
- Almost 800 drivers caught by new boundary road speed camera in three months - The Chester Standard - August 16th, 2017
- Almost 800 drivers caught by new boundary road speed camera in three months - LeaderLive - August 14th, 2017
- Sealand Natural Resources, Inc. (OTCMKTS:SLNR) Files An 8-K Other Events - Market Exclusive - August 13th, 2017
- What You Must Know About Sealand Capital Galaxy Limited's (LSE:SCGL) Major Investors - Simply Wall St - August 10th, 2017
- Sealand Capital Galaxy Ltd (SCGL) Is Yet to See Trading Action on Aug 9 - Herald KS - August 9th, 2017
- Chester floodplain housing scheme unanimously rejected - ChesterChronicle.co.uk - August 5th, 2017
- sealand | eBay - August 3rd, 2017
- Chaiken Money Flow For Sealand Natural Resources Inc (SLNR) Above Zero - Stock Rover - August 3rd, 2017
- Zeroing in on Yesterday's High: Sealand Natural Resources Inc (SLNR) - Nelson Research - August 3rd, 2017
- Sealand Natural Resources Inc (SLNR) Mesa Moving Average Climbs Above FAMA - JCTY News - August 2nd, 2017
- What Do The Technicals Boil Down To For Sealand Natural Resources Inc (SLNR)? - Rockville Register - August 1st, 2017
- Late night shopping scheme in Chester sees Park & Ride services extended - ChesterChronicle.co.uk - July 30th, 2017
- Sealand Natural Resources Inc (SLNR) Ichimoku Reveals Negative Momentum - Rockville Register - July 29th, 2017
- What Kind of Picture Are the Technicals Painting For Sealand Capital Galaxy Limited (SCGL.L)? - Concord Register - July 26th, 2017
- What Kind of Picture Are the Technicals Painting For Sealand ... - Concord Register - July 26th, 2017
- Oddfellow's Casino - The Quietus - July 26th, 2017
- Sealand | Fifth World Wiki | FANDOM powered by Wikia - July 22nd, 2017
- Sealand - Wikitravel - July 22nd, 2017
- Range Rover invasion at Chester supermarket site - ChesterChronicle.co.uk - July 20th, 2017
- Sealand Natural Resources Inc (SLNR) Pushes Higher 37.14% - DARC News - July 20th, 2017
- WATCH: New Oddfellow's Casino - The Quietus - July 19th, 2017
- Students create app to improve post-stroke care - USC News - July 18th, 2017
- Sealand Natural Resources Inc (SLNR) is a Volume Leader - Nelson Research - July 13th, 2017
- Flooding on Chester's Sealand Road after downpour - ChesterChronicle.co.uk - July 11th, 2017
- About Sealand - Become a Lord, Lady, Baron or Baroness - July 9th, 2017
- Neighborhood Notes: the first week of July - Mission Local - July 8th, 2017
- Maersk ransomware attack may hit 'tens of thousands' of shippers, warns analyst - The Loadstar - June 30th, 2017
- Independence Day 2017 SeaLand & Port Schedule - American Journal of Transportation - June 28th, 2017
- Pivot Points in Focus: Sealand Natural Resources Inc (SLNR) - Nelson Research - June 22nd, 2017
- Sealand Natural Resources Inc (SLNR) Moving -40.00% in Session - BVN - June 17th, 2017
- Unusual Activity Spotted in Sealand Natural Resources Inc (SLNR) - BVN - June 15th, 2017
- sealand toilet | eBay - June 15th, 2017
- Watching the Tape Move for Sealand Natural Resources Inc (SLNR) - BVN - June 15th, 2017
- Inquiry date for Chester flood plain homes plan - ChesterChronicle.co.uk - June 14th, 2017
- How Are Analysts Interpreting Sealand Natural Resources Inc (SLNR)'s Relative Strength? - Nelson Research - June 8th, 2017
- Malawi govt over paid farm input suppliers by K61billion - Nyasa Times - June 6th, 2017
- Watching the Tape Move for Sealand Natural Resources Inc (SLNR) - Benton Bulletin - June 3rd, 2017
- Needle Action Activity Spotted in Sealand Natural Resources Inc (SLNR) - BVN - June 1st, 2017
- Registered sex offender from Sealand jailed over downloading indecent images - LeaderLive - May 30th, 2017
- Active Runner in Focus: Sealand Natural Resources Inc (SLNR) - The Times - May 30th, 2017
- Unusual Activity Spotted in Sealand Natural Resources Inc (SLNR) - Melville Review - May 26th, 2017
- China regulator punishes Sealand Securities for "chaotic" management - Reuters - May 23rd, 2017
- China regulator punishes Sealand Securities for 'chaotic' management - Yahoo Finance UK - May 23rd, 2017