The Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) has announced that Medicare will now cover acupuncture for patients with chronic low back pain in part because of the widespread abuse of opioids in America. Medicare will now cover up to 12 sessions in 90 days with an additional 8 sessions for those patients with chronic low back pain who demonstrate improvement. Until now, acupuncture was not covered by Medicare.
Expanding options for pain treatment is a key piece of the Trump Administrations strategy for defeating our countrys opioid crisis, US Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) Secretary Alex Azar said in a statement. President Trump has promised to protect and improve Medicare for our seniors, and deciding to cover this new treatment option is another sign of that commitment. Medicare beneficiaries will now have a new option at their disposal to help them deal with chronic low back pain, which is a common and sometimes debilitating condition.
A federal agencyin the HHS, CMSadministers the Medicare program and works in partnership with stategovernments to administer Medicaid, the Children's Health InsuranceProgram (CHIP), and health insurance portability standards.
We are dedicated to increasing access to alternatives to prescription opioids and believe that covering acupuncture for chronic low back pain is in the best interest of Medicare patients, said CMS Principal Deputy Administrator of Operations and Policy Kimberly Brandt in a statement. We are building on important lessons learned from the private sector in this critical aspect of patient care. Over-reliance on opioids for people with chronic pain is one of the factors that led to the crisis, so it is vital that we offer a range of treatment options for our beneficiaries.
The CMS announced this week that its decision to cover acupuncture was the result of an examination of coverage policies of private payers and takes into account an assessment of benefits and harms and the opioid public health crisis. And while there is variation in whats covered and the allowed number of visits to acupuncturists among private payers, a large number of them provide some coverage of acupuncture, CMS reported.
While a small number of adults 65 years of age or older have been enrolled in published acupuncture studies, patients with chronic low back pain in these studies showed improvements in function and pain. The evidence reviewed for this decision supports clinical strategies that include non-pharmacologic therapies for chronic low back pain, CMS reported.
Some 47,600 deaths related to overdose involved opioids in 2017, the CMS reported. The CMS said it is now keenly focused on fighting the opioids epidemic including by supporting access to pain management using a safe and effective range of treatment options that rely less on prescription opioids.
The CMS said it has made significant strides in preventing opioid use disorder by, for example, issuing safety alerts to pharmacists when a beneficiarys opioids prescription exceeds certain levels. Given these and other efforts from federal partners, total opioids dispensed by pharmacies nationwide declined 31 percent since 2017, CMS reported.
Practitioners of acupuncturea form of alternative medicine and a key component of traditional Chinese medicinestimulate strategic points on the body, most often by inserting thin needles through the skin. The alternative therapy is most commonly used to treat pain but is increasingly being used for overall wellness and stress management.
According to Mayo Clinic, traditional Chinese medicine explains acupuncture as a technique for balancing the flow of energy or life forceknown as chi or qi (chee)believed to flow through pathways (meridians) in your body. By inserting needles into specific points along these meridians, acupuncture practitioners believe that your energy flow will re-balance. In contrast, many Western practitioners view the acupuncture points as places to stimulate nerves, muscles and connective tissue. Some believe that this stimulation boosts your body's natural painkillers.
Whatever the reason, reviews on its effectiveness are also mixed, and many want even more alternative therapies covered.
To me, the best therapy is chiropractic and massage therapy, said Bonnie Huffman. Massage therapy should be covered. The benefits of it are remarkable. I have had successful back surgery, and I would not be working if it wasnt for my chiropractor and massage therapist. I have tried the needles. They dont work for me, but I know people that they do work for.
I tried [acupuncture] once on the reference of a pain management doctor to a physical therapist, said Lois Martin. She hit a nerve, and that did not feel good at all. Couldnt tell any difference even after the treatment. She was young and may have been inexperienced. Chiropractic has given best results. Massage therapy would be awesome but its expensive and not covered. I think it would speed up recovery after a flair up.
Currently, Medicare only covers chiropractic care as a treatment for a condition called spinal subluxation. According to the latest information regarding Medicare coverage in 2020 from AARP, original Medicare pays for only one chiropractic service: manual manipulation of the spine if deemed medically necessary to correct a subluxation (when one or more of the bones in your spine are out of position). This procedure, when performed by a chiropractor or other qualified provider, is covered throughMedicare Part B, the component of original Medicare that includes outpatient services.
Medicare will pay 80% of the Medicare-approved rate for this procedure, and you will owe 20% of the amount. In addition, you must also pay your deductible for Part B before Medicare begins to pay its share. You pay all the costs for other services provided or tests that a chiropractor orders, includingmassage therapy and X-rays. Medicare will cover the cost of an X-ray a physician orders to demonstrate that a spinal subluxation requires treatment but will not if a chiropractor ordered the X-ray. SomeMedicare Advantageplans do offer routine chiropractic services, however, as an additional benefit.
According to Mayo Clinic, acupuncture has been used to relieve discomfort associated with a variety of diseases and conditions, including:
The risks of acupuncture are low as long as patients seek a competent, certified acupuncture practitioner who uses sterile, one-time use needles. Common side effects could include soreness and minor bruising or bleeding at the site where the needles were inserted.
Still Mayo Clinic cautions that not everyone is a good candidate for acupuncture. You may be at risk of complications if you:
Mayo Clinic recommends taking the same steps in choosing an acupuncturist that you would if you were choosing a new doctor:
And not everyone responds to acupuncture.
Many people who have chronic low back pain have found acupuncture to be helpful. But the scientific evidence to support these claims has been mixed, partly because it can be difficult to devise a good form of sham acupuncture for comparison, said Brent A. Bauer, M.D.
According to the National Center for Commentary and Integrative Health (NCCIH), several studies indicate that both traditional (actual) and simulated (sham/placebo) acupuncture decrease pain, but other studies have suggested that the neural mechanisms involved may be different. (Simulated acupuncture mimics actual acupuncture, but without piercing the skin or using specific points.) There is evidence that simulated acupuncture appears to work just as well as real acupuncture. Evidence also shows that acupuncture works best in people who expect it to work.
Scientific studies have indicated that sham acupuncture works just as well as real acupuncture for back pain, Bauer said. This could mean that sham acupuncturecould be having an effect, or it could mean that the effects of acupuncture may be due in part to a placebo effect.
Bauer said the research on acupuncture is growing, but interpreting it is still a challenge. For now, most studies seem to indicate that, for most people, acupuncture results in some beneficial effect with a low risk of side effects when provided by a well-trained practitioner. So if other treatments haven't helped your low back pain, it may be worth trying acupuncture. But if your back pain doesn't begin to improve within a few weeks, acupuncture may not be the right treatment for you.
Mayo Clinic has ongoing studiestesting treatments for pain management, including acupuncture.
For the purpose of the CMS decision, chronic low back pain is defined as:
Physician assistants, nurse practitioners/clinical nurse specialists and auxiliary personnel may furnish acupuncture if they meet all applicable state requirements and have:
- AYUSH and Alternative Medicine Market Research Report 2020 with Business Overview and Manufacturers Profiles till 2026 - Murphy's Hockey Law - January 17th, 2021
- Complementary and Alternative Medicine Market To Register Phenomenal Growth and Competitive Outlook 2027 - KSU | The Sentinel Newspaper - January 17th, 2021
- Meet the scientist who defeated 'the world's worst bacteria' to save her husbands life - BBC Focus Magazine - January 17th, 2021
- Editorial: Shaking up the Tribune's columnist roster | Opinion - Lewiston Morning Tribune - January 17th, 2021
- Strange brew medical weed cooking in Thailand - Asia Times - January 17th, 2021
- Naltrexone and Bupropion Promising Combo for Meth Addiction - Medscape - January 17th, 2021
- Comprehensive Report on Alternative And Complementary Medicine Market 2021 | Size, Growth, Demand, Opportunities & Forecast To 2027 | Pacific... - January 17th, 2021
- Foo Fighters' "Waiting On A War" l 'Medicine At Midnight' l - Alternative Press - January 17th, 2021
- Complementary and Alternative Medicine Market Application 2020, Drive System, Structure, Type, Product and Region Global Forecast to 2026 - The... - January 17th, 2021
- COVID denialism and the Alberta context - CBC.ca - January 17th, 2021
- Coimbatores hydroponic farm delivers fresh greens within three hours of harvest - The Hindu - January 17th, 2021
- Chronic opioid use may worsen the pain of social rejection - Medical News Today - January 17th, 2021
- Budget 2021 expectations: Need for allocating funds to health and wellness sector visible from COVID experience - The Financial Express - January 17th, 2021
- Charles accused of never listening to scientists as heir launches radical eco-initiative - Express - January 17th, 2021
- AYUSH and Alternative Medicine Market Growth Rate, Demands, Status And Application Forecast To 2027 - Factory Gate - January 5th, 2021
- Comprehensive Report on Alternative Medicine Market 2021 | Size, Growth, Demand, Opportunities & Forecast To 2027 | Medigenics, Herb Pharma,... - January 5th, 2021
- Global Complementary and Alternative Medicine Market- Industry Analysis and forecast 2019 2027: By Intervention, Distribution Channel and Region -... - January 5th, 2021
- Another arrest for Malachi Love-Robinson, Palm Beach County teen who posed as doctor, went to prison - Palm Beach Post - January 5th, 2021
- 4Cable TV International, Inc. Announces Acquisition of Healthcare and Wellness Clinics of America, LLC and Corporation Clinic, LLC as the Retail Arms... - January 5th, 2021
- Founder's broken spine inspired therapy tech device - BusinessCloud - January 5th, 2021
- Putnam & Smith Publishing Company Announces Release of a New Book, the Ovarian Chronicles: Expectations * Heartache * Resilience by Author Cat... - January 5th, 2021
- Global Homeopathy Products Market Industry Analysis and Forecast (2019-2026) By Product, Application, Source, and Region. - LionLowdown - January 5th, 2021
- Cannabis and Pain Management: Is Alternative Plant Medicine Becoming the New Norm? - Green Entrepreneur - December 30th, 2020
- Complementary And Alternative Medicine Market Size 2021| Top Companies, Trends, Growth Factors Details for Business Development and Forecast to 2027 -... - December 30th, 2020
- Europe AYUSH and Alternative Medicine Market 2021 Strategic Outlook of trends, CAGR, Key players, etc - NeighborWebSJ - December 30th, 2020
- 1933 Industries announces launch of a new e-commerce website for its Canna Hemp brand - Proactive Investors USA & Canada - December 30th, 2020
- Astounding growth in Complementary and Alternative Medicines Market is Projected to Grow at a CAGR of 16.4% over the forecast period (2019 2027),... - December 30th, 2020
- Subsidised acupuncture therapy for lower back, neck pain - The Straits Times - December 30th, 2020
- OPINION: Colorful words overemphasize the obvious - Arkansas Online - December 30th, 2020
- 'Early Diagnosis and Treatment Pivotal to Keep IBD at Bay' - eHealth Magazine - Elets - December 30th, 2020
- Chiesi Global Rare Diseases Announces First Patient Treated in Expanded Access Program for Pegunigalsidase Alfa for Proposed Treatment of Fabry... - December 30th, 2020
- YEARENDER: Five red flags to look out for in COVID-19 vaccine misinformation - Vera Files - Vera Files - December 30th, 2020
- Patients with lower back, neck pain to get subsidised acupuncture treatment under pilot programme - The Straits Times - December 30th, 2020
- Dept pushing for cannabis use in Thai traditional medicines - Bangkok Post - December 30th, 2020
- Trevena, Inc. Announces Three OLINVYK Presentations at the Virtual American Society of Anesthesiologists 2020 Annual Meeting - BioSpace - October 5th, 2020
- Managing headache with a tiered approach - Contemporary Pediatrics - October 5th, 2020
- Alternative Ways To Calm Yourself Without Taking Medicine - KHTS Radio - October 5th, 2020
- Cannabis influencers: Hes the right person at the top delivering for N.J. patients - NJ.com - October 5th, 2020
- Alternative Medicines and Therapies Market Emerging Trends and Strong Application Scope by 2025 | Weleda, Cipla, Sante Verte Lab, Sandoz International... - October 5th, 2020
- Global AYUSH and Alternative Medicine Market Size |Incredible Possibilities and Growth Analysis and Forecast To 2026 | Baidyanath, Himalya Herbals,... - October 5th, 2020
- Complementary And Alternative Medicine Market 2019 | Analyzing The Impact Followed By Restraints, Opportunities And Projected Developments - Crypto... - October 5th, 2020
- Nutraceuticals: From Alternative to Mainstream - ETHealthworld.com - October 5th, 2020
- Trick or treat - THE WEEK - September 18th, 2020
- This yoga instructor is fighting the rise of QAnon in the wellness community - CBC.ca - September 18th, 2020
- OK, Whiner - I, Anonymous Blog - The Portland Mercury - September 18th, 2020
- Calvin Johnson Is About to Open Up His 1st Business Since Retiring From the NFL - Sportscasting - September 18th, 2020
- Testing the deceased could provide additional surveillance methods during pandemic - Michigan Medicine - September 18th, 2020
- Censured Galway priest throws in the towel - Connacht Tribune Group - September 18th, 2020
- Alternative and Complementary Medicine Market is projected to experience substantial growth in the next few years - BioSpace - September 18th, 2020
- Thoppur hospital gives alternative treatment - The Hindu - June 20th, 2020
- Rifampin viable as an alternative to isoniazid treatment for latent tuberculosis - 2 Minute Medicine - June 20th, 2020
- Keytruda receives second biomarker-based indication from FDA, regardless of tumor type - The Cancer Letter - June 20th, 2020
- What Is Ashwagandha? | HowStuffWorks - HowStuffWorks - June 20th, 2020
- Complementary And Alternative Medicine Market To 2027 Receive Overwhelming Hike In Revenues | Nordic Naturals, Nature's Bounty, Unity Woods Yoga... - June 20th, 2020
- Does lucid dreaming work? How I tried to fix bad dreams brought on by the coronavirus age - USA TODAY - June 20th, 2020
- One doctor found herself on the front lines of the battle against misinformation | Opinion - Tennessean - June 20th, 2020
- Twelve Outstanding Grads To Be Recognized at Virtual Commencement - SF State News - June 20th, 2020
- Long-time nurse who worked for Sheikh Zayed continues to serve in UAE's COVID-19 fight - Gulf News - June 20th, 2020
- Sales Revenue of Chiropractic Medicine to escalate in the Coming Years Owing to Changes in Market Dynamics During COVID 19 Pandemic - Owned - June 20th, 2020
- Reiki that - how some Americans use alternative medicine to deal with stress - Yahoo News - June 13th, 2020
- Impact of COVID-19 Outbreak on Complementary and Alternative Medicine Market to Witness Columbia Nutritional, Herb Pharm, Herbal Hills, Helio USA,... - June 13th, 2020
- Alternative APOE Gene Variants Associated with Different Diseases of Aging - JD Supra - June 13th, 2020
- Is it Time to Introduce Homeopathy and Alternative Medicines to Fight against Covid-19? - thepolicytimes.com - June 13th, 2020
- Easing of Covid-19 restrictions: More UAE residents explore alternative immunity boosters - Khaleej Times - June 13th, 2020
- Now what? The imminent dangers and emerging opportunities for physicians - Medical Economics - June 13th, 2020
- For Retail Landlords, Time to Look Beyond Gyms to Wellness - ConnectCRE - June 13th, 2020
- Complementary And Alternative Medicine Market 2019 Break Down by Top Companies, Countries, Applications, Challenges, Opportunities and Forecast 2026 -... - June 13th, 2020
- Johns Hopkins will pause development of a police department for at least two years - The Hub at Johns Hopkins - June 13th, 2020
- The surprising medical history of vibrators - Fast Company - June 13th, 2020
- Kemris Zedupex herbal drug to treat Covid-19 awaits final nod - Kenya Broadcasting Corporation - June 13th, 2020
- A Place To Heal Wellness Center | Alternative Medicine - Fountain Hills Times - June 13th, 2020
- Why we should not treat all conspiracy theories the same - The Conversation UK - June 13th, 2020
- This doctors insight on treating the pandemic with cannabis - The GrowthOp - June 13th, 2020
- Complementary And Alternative Medicine Market Growth Powered with Latest Development Scenario and Influencing Trends by 2026 - Cole of Duty - June 6th, 2020
- Alternative and Complementary Treatments for Cancer - HealthCentral.com - June 6th, 2020
- Current and Future Trend of Global Complementary and Alternative Medicine Market by 2026 - Cole of Duty - June 6th, 2020
- Alternative approaches to dealing with coronavirus - Himalayan Times - June 6th, 2020
- FDA Approves Merck's RECARBRIO (imipenem, cilastatin, and relebactam) for the Treatment of Adults with Hospital-Acquired and Ventilator-Associated... - June 6th, 2020
- Funding for alternative medicine businesses on the rise around the globe - EconoTimes - June 6th, 2020
- Explained: The debate over homoeopathic drug Arsenicum album 30 - The Indian Express - June 6th, 2020