The State of Maryland is on the hook for $27,000 in legal fees to a national conservative organization that sued the state three years ago over voter registration rolls.
Its part of a settlement the state reached with the group Judicial Watch after a federal court earlier this year ordered the state to make all voter registration data available to the conservative organization.
Judicial Watch sued Maryland to obtain voter list data in 2017 after alleging that there were more registered voters in Montgomery County than citizens over the age of 18 who were eligible to register. It was part of the conservative groups nationwide campaign to clean up voter rolls.
In August 2019, U.S. District Court Judge Ellen L. Hollander ordered the State Board of Elections to produce the Montgomery County voter data, concluding that Maryland election law is an obstacle to the intent of the National Voter Registration Act of 1993.
Following the court ruling, state elections officials initially provided Judicial Watch with a list of registered voters but one that did not include their dates of birth. On April 17, the court ordered the state to produce the registration list with every voters date of birth.
Maryland politicians fought us tooth and nail to keep Judicial Watch from uncovering the full truth about their dirty election rolls, Judicial Watch President Tom Fitton said in April following the federal court ruling. This latest court victory will allow Judicial Watch to ensure Maryland and Montgomery County are removing voters who have moved or died long ago.
The Maryland Board of Public Works is set to vote Wednesday to confirm the $27,000 settlement payment to Judicial Watch.
At the same meeting, the BPW is scheduled to vote on a proposed $35,600 payment to reimburse attorneys for the Maryland Green Party and the Libertarian Party of Maryland for ballot access litigation against the state.
The third parties sued the state in May to reduce the signature requirement to appear on the November ballot. They argued that the states stay-at-home order and social distancing guidelines since the outbreak of COVID-19 made it impossible for them to exercise their First Amendment rights.
The Greens and Libertarians reached a settlement with the state a month ago cutting in half the petition signature requirement for gaining ballot access for the November general election.
As part of the settlement, the Green Party and its law firm are in line for a $25,000 payment from the state, while the Libertarians and the Center for Competitive Democracy, a national ballot access organizational, will split $10,600.
In a related development, Amber Ivey, an unaffiliated candidate for Congress in the 7th District, announced Monday that she had reached an agreement with state elections officials that would cut her signature requirement for ballot access in half. Initially, the State Board of Elections had said the state ballot access settlement with the Green and Libertarian parties would not apply to independent candidates, but Ivey sued.
I believe that every person has the right to ballot access, she said in a statement. COVID-19 restrictions have made it especially hard for candidates to collect signatures, which interferes with their constitutional right to seek to be on the ballot.
See the original post:
Md. on the Hook for $27K in Legal Fees to Conservative Group - Josh Kurtz
- The Problems With Libertarianism | HuffPost - July 29th, 2021
- Social Libertarianism | Polcompball Wiki | Fandom - July 29th, 2021
- Dave Smith: Libertarians vs. Big Tech, Big Government, andOther Libertarians - Reason - July 29th, 2021
- Libertarian group sues government over information on $143 billion in improper Medicaid payments - Washington Examiner - July 29th, 2021
- The rise of the 'Liberty Republican' - Washington Examiner - July 29th, 2021
- Paypal Plans to Study Transactions That Fund Extremism, Anti-Government Groups Bitcoin News - Bitcoin News - July 29th, 2021
- July 29, 2021, Letters to the Editor | Serving Minden-Gardnerville and Carson Valley - The Record-Courier - July 29th, 2021
- Cal Thomas: Kristi Noem and the GOP's future - Lewiston Sun Journal - July 29th, 2021
- The Daily Cartoon and Live Briefing: Wednesday, July 14, 2021 - FlaglerLive.com - July 14th, 2021
- Credit every American - The Spokesman-Review - July 14th, 2021
- Inside the Battle Over the Soul of the Libertarian Party - Reason - June 27th, 2021
- Why Conservatives And Libertarians Should Think Globally About Environmental Policy - Forbes - June 27th, 2021
- Relief payments to Black farmers on hold amid lawsuits backed by former Trump aides, conservative groups - Kansas Reflector - June 27th, 2021
- Never-Trump Republicans Announce New Fundraising Effort To Re-Defeat the Ex-President - Reason - June 27th, 2021
- The Problem Belongs to Every Last Person: On Matt Bell's Appleseed - lareviewofbooks - June 27th, 2021
- Letter: It's time to take care of Earth and stop wasting tax dollars - Worcester Telegram - June 27th, 2021
- Jane Coaston Wants To Have Better Arguments - Sojourners - June 23rd, 2021
- Right Wing Crazies & Libertarians Join In On Socialist Rally To Defund The Police With Hilarious Results - Free Keene - June 23rd, 2021
- Noticing the common good | Religion | themountaineer.com - The Mountaineer - June 23rd, 2021
- How a GOP Senate resolution condemning critical race theory distorts the facts - Poynter - June 23rd, 2021
- Letter: Freedom could be more individualized, but not lost in the United States - Shreveport Times - June 23rd, 2021
- Libertarianism | Polcompball Wiki | Fandom - June 13th, 2021
- Neo-Libertarianism | Polcompball Wiki | Fandom - June 13th, 2021
- What Is a Libertarian? A Brief Summary of Their Beliefs - June 13th, 2021
- Thinking critically about critical race theory - The Nevada Independent - June 13th, 2021
- Letter: History shows Libertarian ideas are winning | Letters to the Editor | heraldextra.com - Daily Herald - June 11th, 2021
- Letter: The Libertarian position is pro-vaccine - INFORUM - June 11th, 2021
- Libertarian Party submitting two marijuana ballot initiatives in Wyoming ahead of 2022 election - Oil City News - June 11th, 2021
- Paul Frew: The libertarian electrician now charged with sparking the north's economic recovery - The Irish News - June 11th, 2021
- Third parties in the U.S. What options do voters have? - Deseret News - June 11th, 2021
- The Difference Between Classical Liberalism and Libertarianism - May 31st, 2021
- Bubba Horwitz: Crypto Is The Currency Of The Libertarian And Free Markets The Daily Dive - The Deep Dive - May 31st, 2021
- What 'The Enduring Tension' Can Teach Us about the Core Institutions of Our Civilization | Richard Morrison - Foundation for Economic Education - May 31st, 2021
- Ted Budd Officially Entering 2022 NC Senate Race - The Rhino Times of Greensboro - The Rhino TImes - April 29th, 2021
- Elections official admits breaking rule | Indiana | Journal Gazette - Fort Wayne Journal Gazette - April 29th, 2021
- Libertarian Party of Wisconsin holds annual convention in Eau Claire - WQOW TV News 18 - April 25th, 2021
- Letter: Calling out the misinformed, on the right and left, about COVID-19 - Eagle-Tribune - April 25th, 2021
- Boris's threat to intervene in the Super League furore is proof that his libertarian instincts are dead - Reaction - April 23rd, 2021
- WAHRHAFTIG: This Year's Primary Affects Everyone And Everyone Can Vote - Patch.com - April 23rd, 2021
- The Economic Fallout of COVID-19: Could We Have Avoided This Disaster? - Worth - April 23rd, 2021
- Letters to the Editor: April 5, 2021 - West Hawaii Today - April 6th, 2021
- The Bad Kind of Globalism - Splice Today - April 6th, 2021
- Vaccine Passports and Supply Chain Political Blacklist Risk - Reason - April 4th, 2021
- Glenn Nielsen and David Tyson Smith race toward the 45th District special election - Columbia Daily Tribune - April 4th, 2021
- Letters to the Editor for March 31, 2021 | Serving Carson City for over 150 years - Nevada Appeal - April 4th, 2021
- How Living on a Socialist Kibbutz Reveals the Value of Private Property - Reason - April 4th, 2021
- I Am An Ambedkarite And A Libertarian And I Do Not Owe Anything To Your Opinion - Youth Ki Awaaz - March 31st, 2021
- Libertarianism - Libertarian philosophy | Britannica - March 29th, 2021
- libertarianism | Definition, Doctrines, History, & Facts ... - March 25th, 2021
- Education and Naive Libertarianism - National Review - March 25th, 2021
- March 19-21: Libertarian Party of NH convention with keynote from former US Rep. Justin Amash - Manchester Ink Link - March 25th, 2021
- Why We Don't Need Any More "Political" Clubs on Campus The Skidmore News - Skidmore News - March 25th, 2021
- If we don't rediscover our libertarian spirit, the next pandemic will crush us - Telegraph.co.uk - March 25th, 2021
- Is it any surprise Republican men dont want the COVID vaccine? - The Boston Globe - March 25th, 2021
- Area business participates in hygiene drive | News, Sports, Jobs - The Express - Lock Haven Express - March 25th, 2021
- Recover the Moral Imperative of Law and Order city-journal.org - City Journal - March 25th, 2021
- Will Prohibitionists Tie The New Conservative Movement To Trump? - The Fresh Toast - March 25th, 2021
- 'Tip of the iceberg': Lawmakers mull domestic terrorism legislation after Capitol riot, other violence - USA TODAY - March 25th, 2021
- Knox County Mayor Glenn Jacobs announces he will run for reelection in 2022 - Knoxville News Sentinel - March 25th, 2021
- Bidenomics - The Nation - March 3rd, 2021
- Warren, Pressley among Dems pushing to strip police of 'qualified immunity' - Fox News - March 3rd, 2021
- Nick Robinson on 'Silk Road' and Carrying the Torch for 'Jurassic Park' - Hollywood Reporter - March 3rd, 2021
- Wyoming's Voter Registration Numbers Dip By More Than 20K Sheridan Media - Sheridan Media - March 3rd, 2021
- Recollections of Murray on His Ninety-Fifth Birthday - The Shepherd of the Hills Gazette - March 3rd, 2021
- Threatened by Libertarians, Iowa GOP moves goal posts - The Gazette - February 28th, 2021
- The New Foreign Flavor of CPACs Red Meat - New York Magazine - February 28th, 2021
- CPAC and the New Republicanism - The New York Times - February 28th, 2021
- Libertarian Party of Indiana's response to Secretary of State's resignation - Shelbynews - February 28th, 2021
- Iowa's bad election bill will stifle early voting, micromanage auditors - The Gazette - February 28th, 2021
- Letter: School voucher programs benefit the wealthy - The Republic - February 28th, 2021
- News - The Bankruptcy of Conservative Political Paternalism - The Heartland Institute - February 18th, 2021
- Rush Limbaugh galvanised and embodied the modern American right - The Economist - February 18th, 2021
- People Of Georgia's 14th Congressional Make Decision Who Will Occupy That Seat - Jamestown Post Journal - February 18th, 2021
- My Take: Here's a unity solution: Have one standard - HollandSentinel.com - February 18th, 2021
- 77 third-party candidates received more votes than the winner's margin of victory in 2020 Ballotpedia News - Ballotpedia News - January 29th, 2021
- Empathize with Trump voters? A Progressive and a Libertarian agree to disagree - KUOW News and Information - January 27th, 2021
- STATE: Constitution, Green parties no longer recognized in North Carolina - The Stanly News & Press | The Stanly News & Press - Stanly News... - January 27th, 2021
- Book Review: When A Libertarian Walks Into a Bear, nobody wins (except the reader) - NPI's Cascadia Advocate - January 27th, 2021
- Brennan: Intel Agencies To Probe The 'Bigots' Behind US 'Insurgency' - The Federalist - January 27th, 2021
- The politics of an Auschwitz survivors son - The Boston Globe - January 27th, 2021