Late bloomers are a fascinating archetype in baseball. Jos Bautista is probably the modern example I think about the most, a slugger who didnt hit his stride until 29. Nelson Cruz, as another example, was really only a superstar hitter in his 30s. Those two were lucky enough to make plenty of money throughout their careerBautista to the tune of $103 million, Cruz just a shade under at $99 million.
That required a very fortuitous time where teams were still willing to shell out money for older sluggers, and Im talking about less than a decade ago. Bautista received five years and $64 million from the age of 31 to 35, and then the Blue Jays were perfectly fine with taking him year to year given his retirement soon after. Cruz was signed to four years and $57 million at the age of 34.
Now were talking about another late bloomer, this time by the name of Max Muncy. Muncy, like both Bautista and Cruz was a non-factor until the age of 27 when he burst on to the scene with the Dodgers in 2018 after being cut by the Athletics and spending two years languishing in Triple-A.
His debut at 27 means that his free agency would hit at 33; this usually wouldnt be an issue for late bloomers that arent that good, but Muncy almost immediately became a star. He placed in the top 15 in MVP voting both in 2018 and 2019, and he hit a collective .256/.381/.545 with 70 home runs over 1070 plate appearances. Thats no fluke.
In fact, hes been worth, by most WAR measures, about 10 wins over just the past two seasons alone, and thats setting aside his very valuable 129 wRC+ in the postseason. You dont need a TI-84 to calculate that, with a conservative estimate, Muncy has been worth about $80 million or more in surplus value in just those two seasons.
He has made just the league minimum, too, and with his first-year arbitration on the horizon with a projected number of between $4 million and $4.675 million, the Dodgers instead opted to extend him for three years and $26 million with a fourth-year option for $13 million, which would cover his first year of free agency.
Obviously, good for him. I love late bloomers exactly for the reason they can still get payouts despite nearly flaming out by their late-20s, and Muncy is a testament to that sticktoitiveness. That being said, it also lays out a model for exactly why free agency is pretty broken, putting aside the usual arguments about buying out arbitration (where they undercut his desired earnings) and his free agent year.
The problem is that most players are in fact not Muncy and do not become immediate stars even if they do become late bloomers. The more likely outcome is that they spend years and years grinding it out in the minors only to finally get their cup of coffee, and what they receive is the league minimum scaled to playing time, so if you get to play a third of a season you make just under $175,000.
Thats not too bad, but youve also been paid below a living wage for nearly a decade at this point, and even if you were to stick with the club, you would need to hold on for dear life to make up for all that lost time. In a word, you have both age and the service time clock working against you.
In the wake of the landmark Kris Bryant case, people within the MLBPA are probably asking the same questions. According to The Athletic and Evan Drellich, and this is just speculation, he says that, A major overhaul might determine free agency eligibility by age, rather than days of service. Or the players could offer to mix in a component of age into the current system: Once a player reaches X age or Y service, he is a free agent.
This changes the Muncy formula entirely. If the union is able to say that free agency is 29periodthen Muncy can essentially leap-frog service time and jump straight to earning money once hes an effective player. Seems much more fair.
Not only that, it addresses the concerns around that cup-of-coffee player. Maybe theyre nearing the end of their patience and they just cant seem to crack it, and now theyre about 27 or 28. Instead of giving up on the sport they grind it out until they can at least qualify for free agent eligibility, and once they are able to get on the 26-man (still weird saying that), they can secure a one-year, higher-than-league-minimum deal after just a year of service time. We really have no idea the number of players who have quit and would have stuck around for that chance.
While Muncy is the lucky one, cashing in on his arbitration years and at least a year of free agency, most late bloomers have the unfortunate bad luck of nearing their physical peak just as their baseball skills round into form. For both him and the sport, and in the wake of nearly no relief from the service time manipulation world we live in, an age-based service time clock could give the rare late bloomer the bump he so desperately needs.
- Stage IV lung cancer patient enjoys life extension from targeted therapy treatments - Loma Linda University Health - August 4th, 2021
- Major UK trial to assess whether cannabis-based drug could extend life for thousands with aggressive brain tumours - The Brain Tumour Charity - August 4th, 2021
- J&J says U.S. FDA agrees to extend shelf life of its COVID-19 vaccine - Reuters - August 4th, 2021
- RESA Power Expands its Electrical Testing Capabilities in the Midwest Region - inForney.com - August 4th, 2021
- The Navy Says It Cant Afford To Fully Modernize. So What Should It Give Up? - Forbes - August 4th, 2021
- The Rockies Went Backwards by Doing Nothing - FanGraphs - August 4th, 2021
- Lumen Technologies and Texas Rangers extend partnership through end of 2021 season - MLB.com - August 4th, 2021
- garden patio breathes life into 19th-century house renovation by meirav galan in tel aviv - Designboom - August 4th, 2021
- Ceremony to honor Bob Sliger's life to be held Aug. 13 - Advocateanddemocrat - August 4th, 2021
- Global Withania Somnifera Extract Market Where is Industry's Growth Heading by 2027? |Life Extension, Taos Herb Company, General Nutrition Centers ... - August 4th, 2021
- Pune civic body extends life insurance cover of employees till the end of pandemic - The Indian Express - August 4th, 2021
- SBM Offshore signed the Letter of Intent for FPSO Alexandre de Gusmo lease and operate contracts - GlobeNewswire - August 4th, 2021
- The decisions that led to Indias worst offshore disaster - Scroll.in - August 4th, 2021
- EP. 8: Targeted Therapies for Myelofibrosis - Targeted Oncology - July 25th, 2021
- Where's The Money? | Ways to keep your phone safe - WCNC.com - July 25th, 2021
- Should the Indiana Pacers prepare for life without T.J. Warren? - 8 Points, 9 Seconds - July 25th, 2021
- GCC's energy space: What does the future hold? Gulfbusiness.com - Gulf Business - July 25th, 2021
- Big 12s request to extend TV rights prompts Texas to look at all options, including SEC - Hookem.com - July 25th, 2021
- Having trouble with thrips? Ask an expert - OregonLive - July 25th, 2021
- Tadlock considering extension to his role in St. Petersburg The Crow's Nest at USF St. Petersburg - The Crow's Nest - July 25th, 2021
- Polygamy in Senegal, lesbian hookups in Cairo: inside the sex lives of African women - The Guardian - July 25th, 2021
- Heres the Sleeping Position Thats Right for You Based on Your Aches and Pains - Well+Good - July 25th, 2021
- Find Out The Premium Insights of Global Withania Somnifera Extract Market 2021-2028| Life Extension, Taos Herb Company, General Nutrition Centers,... - July 25th, 2021
- Behind the Lenz: The art of small things in macro photography - Walla Walla Union-Bulletin - July 25th, 2021
- Growth Drivers of Antioxidant Supplement Market with Relevancy Mapping by Key Player like Life Extension, NOW, Cytoplan, Biocare, Puritan, Vibrant... - July 25th, 2021
- How much are Boston Celtics Marcus Smart, Robert Williams worth in contract extension talks? - masslive.com - July 21st, 2021
- Grundy Co. Extension office has moved - Chillicothe Constitution Tribune - July 21st, 2021
- The Sims 4 UI Cheats Extension not working fix - Game Revolution - July 21st, 2021
- Youth step into the world of a veterinarian AgriLife Extension camps give 'hands-on' experience to future professionals - MyParisTexas.com - July 21st, 2021
- Johnson & Johnson Innovation announces extension of innovation partnering office at Monash University in collaboration with Victorian State... - July 21st, 2021
- A Right-Wing Dark Money Group Created This 'Big Tech Funding' Chrome Extension - VICE - July 21st, 2021
- Armyworms starting to appear; what you need to know - Runnels County Register - July 21st, 2021
- Le Sueur County Extension: Plants need to make right bets to survive drought - Southernminn.com - July 21st, 2021
- Focus on maintenance to increase hog building life - Clinton Herald - July 18th, 2021
- Armyworm infestation hits Leander neighborhood, experts say wet weather may be to blame - KXAN.com - July 18th, 2021
- See garden ideas come to life with the Kane County Master Gardeners - Chicago Daily Herald - July 18th, 2021
- First Improved W88 Nuclear Warhead For Navy's Trident Missiles Rolls Off The Assembly Line - The Drive - July 18th, 2021
- Managing risk in the submarine transition: the latest on the Collins life-of-type extension | The Strategist - The Strategist - July 18th, 2021
- Capturing the artistic beauty of rural life | Opinion | hpj.com - High Plains Journal - July 18th, 2021
- Scientists are demystifying aging funding could add decades to our lives | TheHill - The Hill - July 18th, 2021
- 3 Ways to Get Life Insurance When Your Policy Term Has Ended - Money - July 18th, 2021
- Plant life along the Hudson River | News, Sports, Jobs - The Express - Lock Haven Express - July 18th, 2021
- Virgin Galactic president Mike Moses on whats next for the companys growing fleet - TechCrunch - July 18th, 2021
- EXTENSION NEWS: Setting priorities in a fast-paced world - The Sanford Herald - July 18th, 2021
- Global UAS Market Size Projected To Reach $4.5 Billion By 2023 USA - PRNewswire - July 18th, 2021
- How many Brits have deleted life-saving track and trace app from their phones? No idea, junior minister tells MPs - The Register - July 18th, 2021
- In Disaster City, Texas, Rescues Are a Way of Life - The New York Times - July 7th, 2021
- Spending $2 trillion on new nuclear weapons is a risk to more than just your wallet - Business Insider - July 7th, 2021
- Space Tugs as a Service: In-orbit service providers are bracing for consolidation - SpaceNews - July 7th, 2021
- Apeel Sciences Wants To End Food Waste by Extending the Shelf Life of Your Produce - dot.LA - July 7th, 2021
- CStone announces China NMPA acceptance of IND application for CS2006/NM21-1480, a PD-L1/4-1BB/HSA multi-specific antibody-based molecule, marking... - July 7th, 2021
- Global Oral And Dental Probiotics 2021 Size, Status and Global Outlook NatureWise, Blisprobiotics, Hyperbiotics, Lallemand Health Solutions, Life... - July 7th, 2021
- EXTENSION NOTES What are food allergies and how are they managed? - Daytona Beach News-Journal - July 7th, 2021
- Celebrating the Life of Hal Conklin - Santa Barbara Edhat - July 7th, 2021
- In Search Of The 'Holy Grail' Of Tomatoes - Texas A&M Today - Texas A&M University Today - July 7th, 2021
- In blow to coalition, Knesset knocks down extension of family unification law - The Times of Israel - July 7th, 2021
- How developing predictive modeling tool can lead to better fruit consistency in the supply chain - FreshPlaza.com - July 7th, 2021
- Baker Mayfield: Im in no rush to get the extension done and Ive bet on myself my whole life - cleveland.com - June 18th, 2021
- N.L. government's $505-million aid for Terra Nova a good deal, energy minister says - Kamloops This Week - June 18th, 2021
- Want to see inside? | Bankers Life Fieldhouse closed for the summer for phase 2 of major renovations - WTHR - June 18th, 2021
- Big blue crane made in Manitowoc makes its way safely to U.S. Navy shipyard in Maine - Herald Times Reporter - June 18th, 2021
- Global Nuclear Plant Life Extension Market 2020 to 2025 Business Outlook and Innovative Trends | Top Players as Areva, KHNP, Westinghouse Electric... - June 18th, 2021
- Zodiac Milpro delivers three Rigid Inflatable Boat to DGA - Navy Recognition - June 18th, 2021
- Canadian Submarine Bedeviled By Accidents For A Decade Is Finally Back In The Water - The Drive - June 18th, 2021
- Gov. Phil Murphy approves extension of special-needs services, calling it the right thing to do - The Philadelphia Inquirer - June 18th, 2021
- Wellness Supplements Market- increasing demand with Industry Professionals: Forever Living.com, LLC, Juice Plus+, Herbalife International of America,... - June 18th, 2021
- As Terra Nova Deadline Approaches Minister Holds Hope That Solution Can Be Reached - VOCM - June 18th, 2021
- The life extension of the CH-146 Griffon and a plan for what comes next - Vertical Mag - Vertical Magazine - May 31st, 2021
- Department of Defense Press Briefing on the President's Fiscal Year 2022 Defense Budget for the Missile Defense Agency > US DEPARTMENT OF DEFENSE... - May 31st, 2021
- Proposed new health agency would emphasize innovation - Las Vegas Sun - May 31st, 2021
- 'Extraordinary example of community:' Capt. Lopez looks to the future of Salina's Salvation Army as she moves to new role - Salina Journal - May 31st, 2021
- Threat of N.L.'s Terra Nova oilfield shutdown a sign of things to come: economist - Kamloops This Week - May 31st, 2021
- Concrete thinking: an astonishing terrace extension - The Guardian - May 31st, 2021
- Bring your yard to life with these inspirational product designs: part 4 - Yanko Design - May 31st, 2021
- Tackling food safety in the lab, field and classroom - Batesville Daily Guard - May 31st, 2021
- The life extension of the CH-146 Griffon and a plan for what comes next - Skies Magazine - May 29th, 2021
- 1000 liver transplants have improved LLU patients' and families' lives - Loma Linda University Health - May 29th, 2021
- Joe Biden's proposed health agency would emphasize innovation - Bangor Daily News - May 29th, 2021
- How Taking Magic Mushrooms Led To A Billion Dollar Fortune - Celebrity Net Worth - May 29th, 2021
- Nigeria in Accord With Oil Majors That May Unlock New Investment - Bloomberg - May 29th, 2021