LOCAL Government minister July Moyo and Harare Metropolitan Provincial Affairs minister Oliver Chidawu have been implicated in a massive tender scandal at Harare City Council (HCC) after they allegedly directed the local authority to award a multi-million dollar water treatment contract to two separate companies without following laid down procedure, it has emerged.
The contract is for the supply of water treatment technology solutions to Harare, which is struggling to supply the city of three million residents with safe drinking water.
Currently, council is using nine chemicals to treat water which is heavily polluted with domestic and industrial effluent at a monthly cost of US$3 million.The local authority has had to frequently shut down its main treatment plant, Morton Jaffray Water Works, due to a shortage of foreign currency to import the required chemicals.
Official documents, corroborated by information obtained from both council and government sources, indicate that the two ministers are separately exerting intense pressure on City of Harare management to disregard an ongoing tender process and have the contract awarded to their preferred companies.The issue has since become the subject of a corruption investigation by the Zimbabwe Anti-Corruption Commission (Zacc) after one of the companies reported the case to the anti-graft body on Tuesday.
Moyo is pushing for Boltgas, a Zimbabwean-owned company founded in South Africa in 2005, to be awarded the contract.This is despite the fact that the company was not among 10 firms which responded to a tender invitation for the project in June this year. Chidawu is rooting for South African firm Nanotech Water Africa Private Limited (Nanotech).
However, Nanotech like all the other bidders initially failed to make the grade, but is now poised to clinch the tender following Chidawus intervention.Documents indicate that after the bidding closed on June 20, Harare City Councils evaluation committee deliberated on all submissions and found out that none of them were suitable.
This was revealed in a letter by town clerk Hosiah Chisango to Procurement Regulation Authority of Zimbabwe (Praz) chief executive officer Nyasha Chizu.Chisango, in the letter, particularly stated that Nanotechs bid had been thrown out because it was not competitive.
For instance, Nanotechs proposed technology reduced the cost of water treatment by just US$780 000. This implies that the monthly cost of treating Harare water would be pegged at US$2,2 million, which the evaluation committee still found to be too high.
Nanotech also fell short in terms of references as it had only one project it undertook in Botswana, raising competence concerns. The evaluation committee recommended that Praz approves the cancellation of the expression of interest for lack of competition and for technical irregularities, reads Chisangos letter to Chizu, dated August 5.
Chisango, in his letter, also raised the red flag over the possibility that Nanotech was accorded preferential treatment. Nanotech had been engaged by the citys water department to conduct a pre-test three months ahead of the invitation to tender.
The committee was convinced the specifications were not neutral and the playing field was not level as other players went into the race with an advantage after having been afforded the opportunity to pre-test their solutions before being made to compete with others who did not get the same opportunity. Their specifications, thus, were tailored towards the solutions provided by those that presided over the solutions, he wrote.
There is however no record of Prazs response to Chisangos correspondence. Upon learning of the development, Chidawu summoned Harare mayor Herbert Gomba, Chisango and City of Harare supply chain manager Never Murerwa and other senior managers from the local authority to a meeting at his offices at Charter House in Harares central business district where he piled pressure on them to bypass the legally permitted procurement procedures and award the tender to Nanotech, claiming the issue was coming from higher office.
However, Chisango failed to turn up for the meeting. Gomba attended, but abstained from the ensuing deliberations, leaving everything to city officials, arguing that since he was only a ceremonial mayor, he did not want to interfere in the day-to-day activities of Town House.
City officials reportedly asked Chidawu to put his demands in writing, but the minister strongly objected to this and said if they were not keen on following his instructions, he would not hesitate to directly engage Chizu and ask for a waiver of the formal tendering process in terms of Section 54 of the Public Procurement and Disposal of Public Assets Act, which provides for that waiver in case of emergency. At that time, Harare City Council had approached the government, seeking a declaratory order classifying its water situation as a state of emergency.
Curiously, 30 days later, on September 5, Chisango wrote again to Chizu, this time requesting permission to withdraw his earlier correspondence.The Procurement Regulatory Authority of Zimbabwe received a report from City of Harare on the 14th of August on the cancellation of the request for expression of interest. This letter therefore serves to withdraw that report so that pertinent additional information is included and will be resubmitted thereafter, Chisango wrote.
He followed that up with another letter six days later, in which he was now asking Praz to consider proposals from four of the 10 bidders despite having clearly stated that they had failed to satisfy tender adjudicators. He claimed the new position arose because the evaluation committee had subsequently reconvened and resolved to shortlist four bidders, namely Nanotech, Water Dimensions International, Aqua Global and Microlab Scientific.
Documents also show the emergence at this stage of a special procurement oversight committee (SPOC) set up by Praz to take the place of Harare City Councils conventional tender evaluation committee. In the particular correspondence, Chisango dramatically somersaulted and claimed the four companies had offered a water treatment solution and had adequate manpower to carry the required work.
This time, Chizu, in a letter dated September 24, 2019, approved the new position. The authority is hereby directing the accounting officer to re-evaluate the tender and make recommendations in line with the observations and requirements of the standard bidding document and submit the revised evaluation report and bids for review by the SPOC, Chizu wrote.
Oddly, it also appears from the documents that there is lack of consensus among city officials, with acting Harare water director Mabhena Moyo writing to Chidawu, instead of Chisango, in which he apparently canvassed for Nanotech.
A report was written to Praz seeking approval for the city to go ahead with the project with the four companies. A report to Praz recommending that it approves four companies to carry out a pilot project at Morton Jaffray after re-evaluation of the companies is to be prepared. However, it would be prudent and faster to commence with the pilot project with Nanotech who are ready to start, reads Moyos letter, dated October 7, 2019.
Chisango, on November 13, then wrote to some of the companies involved, informing them that their bids had been unsuccessful, without specifying who had won the tender.
Microlab objected to the move, alleging the process was biased and claimed the tender had been awarded to Nanotech.Your handling of this tender process was biased towards Nanotech from the onset as Nanotech went into the competition with an unfair advantage, rendering the specifications to be not neutral.
The specifications were tailored to suit Nanotech and this smacks of corruption at its worst. We are also aware that the initial evaluation committee strongly advised against awarding the tender to Nanotech only for the report to be withdrawn from Praz after submission.
It is not only unfair but flagrant corruption to proceed with this process in the current form. Nanotech has connections with those in high offices and this is now standing as their only qualification, Microlab wrote through its managing director Walter Jera on November 19.
This time, it was Murerwa who responded to Microlab, writing: Please take note that the matter was considered by the SPOC. This letter also serves to advise you that the bid from Nanotech Water Solutions P/L was accepted to proceed to the next level. Be guided accordingly.Jera on Tuesday filed a corruption report to Zacc. The case was filed under RRB number 369602/05/08/14.
Chidawu confirmed he called city officials to a meeting, but claimed he did so on request by the provincial Joint Operations Command (Joc) which he chairs.
The meeting was called by the provincial Joint Operations Command, worried by the deteriorating water situation in the country which had become a security threat, he said in an interview.
On allegations he pressured council officials to accept the Nanotech bid, Chidawu, himself a former Harare mayor, said: I only recommended Nanotech on the basis that its proposal seemed to offer the right solutions and, in so doing, I was communicating a security resolution of the provincial Joc. So I did not pressure them, he said.
Gomba also confirmed he went to the ministers office in September along with city officials, but denied playing any role.Councillors are not involved in tenders, we are legislated out of it. Tenders are done by the supply chain manager under the town clerk and then sent to Praz for approval. Council only receives reports to note. Yes, I attended (the meeting) but played no part, he said.
Chisangos mobile phone was not being answered when the Zimbabwe Independent sought his comment yesterday while WhatsApp messages sent to him were not responded to despite evidence that he read them. Council sources also said that on Tuesday this week July Moyo called a meeting at his offices over the issue and indicated that he wanted Boltgas to be part of the deal despite the fact that it had not participated in the tendering process. Moyo could not be reached for comment as he was unreachable on mobile phone.
- Nanotech Presenting at the Sidoti Virtual Microcap Conference for Investors on Wednesday, May 19, 2021 - GlobeNewswire - May 14th, 2021
- Superbug infections in poultry under the microscope - Poultry World - May 14th, 2021
- Aerospace Nanotechnology Market Global Demand, Research and Top Leading Player to 2026 | COVID-19 Analysis | Airbus,Glonatech,Flight Shield,Lockheed... - May 14th, 2021
- You Need to Know About the Top 5 Trends in Pharmaceutical Analysis - EuroScientist - May 14th, 2021
- IBM makes another major chip breakthrough in Albany - Times Union - May 11th, 2021
- Nanotechnology Market scrutinized in the new analysis - WhaTech - May 11th, 2021
- Stretchable Conductive Material Market to Eyewitness Massive Growth by 2026 | Dupont & Co., 3M Company, Toyobo Co., Ltd., Advanced Nano Products... - April 13th, 2021
- Taiwan Advanced Nanotech's (GTSM:6797) Solid Profits Have Weak Fundamentals - Simply Wall St - April 11th, 2021
- Nanotech increasing pace of development in Iran - Tehran Times - April 4th, 2021
- Aerospace Nanotechnology Market 2021-2027 Analysis by Industry Size, Share, Potential Growth, Demand and Forecast The Bisouv Network - The Bisouv... - April 4th, 2021
- University of Houston to install nanotech-coated air filters on campus to prevent COVID-19 spread - InnovationMap - March 31st, 2021
- Brain implant firm wins 12m with Manchester nanotech - The University of Manchester - March 31st, 2021
- Nanotech-enabled Aircraft Power Solutions Market to witness Huge Growth with Projected Airbus, NASA, Sila Nanotechnologies, Cella Energy The Bisouv... - March 31st, 2021
- Global Nanotech-enabled Aircraft Power Solutions Market Insights 2021 Industry Overview, Competitive Players & Forecast 2027| Airbus, NASA, Sila... - March 31st, 2021
- Lithium Chile And Summit Nanotech Announce Signing of Definitive Agreement for Their Joint Pilot Project in Chile - Junior Mining Network - March 9th, 2021
- Glass Coatings Market will touch a new level in upcoming year with Top Key players like Arkema, Covestro, Opticote, NanoTech Coatings, CCM GmbH, PPG... - March 9th, 2021
- Healthcare Industry: Global Dip-pen Nanolithography Market 2020 Analysis By Regional, Outlook, Competitive Landscape Strategies And Forecast 2027... - March 9th, 2021
- Conductive Inks Market Assessment and Key Insights Analyzed till 2026| Keyplayers : DuPont., Sun Chemical Corp, PPG Industries, Henkel AG, and Applied... - February 22nd, 2021
- Global Carbon Nanotube (CNT) Masterbatches Market by Trends, Dynamic Innovation in Technology and Key Players| Unidym, Nanocyl, Cnano, canatu,... - February 8th, 2021
- Nanotech Announces Brand Protection Win from Canadian Vita - GlobeNewswire - February 6th, 2021
- Nanotech Powered Mass Testing Now the Key to Unlocking COVID-19 Lockdowns - PRNewswire - February 6th, 2021
- World Cancer Day: From Immunotherapy, vaccines to nanotech, new treatments that show promise against disease - Firstpost - February 6th, 2021
- Latest water purification technologies - top five - Water Technology - February 6th, 2021
- Indias world No. 3 in nanotech research, but... - Gadgets Now - January 17th, 2021
- Investment in AI and nanotech surges in wake of COVID-19 - IT Brief New Zealand - January 9th, 2021
- NS Nanotech Teams Up with Kryptolights to Offer Far-UVC Sterilization for a Host of Consumer and Commercial Applications - PR Web - January 9th, 2021
- Aerospace Nanotechnology Market Global Industry COVID 19 Analysis, Growth Trends and Forecast 2020-2026: Glonatech, Flight Shield, Lockheed Martin,... - January 9th, 2021
- Aerospace Nanotechnology Market COVID 19 Increse Factors Outlook, Key Growth Trends on Ke Players and Forecast to 2026: Airbus, Glonatech, Flight... - January 9th, 2021
- 7 Nanotech Stocks To Buy With Huge Returns in Store - Investorplace.com - January 3rd, 2021
- NS Nanotech and UV Ray Lights Partner to Bring New UV Tech to Conferences and Corporate Events - PR Web - January 3rd, 2021
- INVESTIGATION ALERT: The Schall Law Firm Announces It Is Investigating Claims Against Sona Nanotech Inc. and Encourages Investors with Losses of... - November 29th, 2020
- Sona Nanotech Withdraws Health Canada Application For COVID-19 Test Due To Feedback From Regulator - The Deep Dive - November 29th, 2020
- Hull firm's nanotech solution aims to stop Covid spread in its tracks - Business Live - November 29th, 2020
- How Top Nanotechnology companies are contributing to fight against Covid-19 in India - APN News - November 29th, 2020
- In-Depth Research on Aerospace Nanotechnology Market (impact of COVID-19) with Top Players: Airbus , Glonatech , Flight Shield , Lockheed Martin, and... - November 29th, 2020
- CNTs Conductive Paste Market 2020: Potential Growth, Challenges, and Know the Companies List Could Potentially Benefit or Loose out From the Impact of... - November 29th, 2020
- Comprehensive Report on Protective Implant Coating Market 2020 | Size, Growth, Demand, Opportunities & Forecast To 2026 | Nanogate, Nanomech,... - November 29th, 2020
- Dynamic tattoos promise to warn wearers of health threats - yoursun.com - October 2nd, 2020
- A new nanotech wireless mobile phone charger is expected to enter Malaysia market by mid-2021 - TechNave - October 2nd, 2020
- Impact of COVID-19 on Aluminum Conductors Market 2025 Expected to reach Highest CAGR including major key players Bio-Gate, Cima NanoTech, Inframat,... - October 2nd, 2020
- The Future Of The Face Mask - Bluetooth, In-built Cooling, Nanotech Filters In The Mask As People Are Learning To Live With Covid-19 - Inventiva - July 21st, 2020
- Global Nanotechnology and Nanomaterials Market 2020 and estimated to grow in near Future, Growth, Supply Demand and Analysis by Types 2020-2027 - Cole... - July 21st, 2020
- Nanometals Market 2020 By Regional Trend and Growth Forecast To 2026| Reinste, Eprui Nanomaterials & Microspheres, Baikowski, ABC Nanotech, Amag... - July 21st, 2020
- Global Polyethylene Terephthalate Resins (PET Resins) Market 2020 Applications, SWOT Analysis, Remarkable Growth and Competitive Landscape by 2025 -... - July 21st, 2020
- Global Single-Walled Carbon Nanotubes Market Innovative Report Growth impact over the forecast year 2020 to 2027 - 3rd Watch News - July 21st, 2020
- Polyethylene Terephthalate Resins (PET Resins) Market Growth with Worldwide Industry Analysis to 2019-2025 - Cole of Duty - July 21st, 2020
- Nanotech injections successfully restore vision in blind rats - Digital Trends - July 15th, 2020
- These are 8 of the most fashionable face masks you can buy - from Nanotech to Reebok and Etsy - News Post Leader - July 15th, 2020
- Aircraft Nano Coating Market Report 2020: Acute Analysis of Global Demand and Supply 2025 with Major Key Player: AnCatt, Applied Thin Films,... - July 15th, 2020
- The evolution of how Marvel animated Iron Man - Business Insider Australia - July 15th, 2020
- Global Stretchable Conductive Material Market Report 2020 With Industry Positioning of Key Vendors : DuPont, 3M, Toyobo, Advanced Nano Products,... - April 14th, 2020
- Smoltek's subscription warrants TO 2 give the right to subscribe for shares with a 30 percent discount - marketscreener.com - April 14th, 2020
- Global Quantum Dots Market Research Report 2020-2025 - Breakdown by Healthcare, Optoelectronics, LED Lighting, Solar Modules, and Other End-use... - April 6th, 2020
- Metro Hits 52-week High on Campaign to Stop Hunger - Baystreet.ca - April 6th, 2020
- Nanotechnology Industry Insights & Outlook, 2020-2024 by Component, Application and Region - Yahoo Finance - March 4th, 2020
- Nanotech-enabled Aircraft Power Solutions Market upcoming business reports on size, shares, stocks and many more | forecasting report 2026 - New Day... - March 4th, 2020
- In the Information Economy, Value Is Decreasingly In The Numbers - Hellenic Shipping News Worldwide - January 26th, 2020
- Global Aerospace Nanotechnology Market 2020 : What are the key opportunities? - Weekly Wall - January 26th, 2020
- Stretchable Conductive Material Market will rise at the CAGR of 75.00% with Top Competitors DuPont & Co.,3M,Applied Nanotech ANP Corporation and... - January 18th, 2020
- Aluminum Heat Transfer Material Market Upcoming Challenges, Opportunities and Forecast from 2019-2025 | Alcoa, Granges, Applied Nanotech - The Connect... - November 30th, 2019
- Global Nanotechnology in Medical Devices Market Industry analysis and forecast (2018-2026) - BeetleVersion - November 30th, 2019
- Renowned researcher, UTRGV professor blazes trail from Monterrey to White House to TedXMcAllen - Monitor - November 9th, 2019
- The Nanotechnology World Association is Launched to Foster Worldwide Collaboration Within This Promising and High Growth Sector - PR Web - October 24th, 2019
- Can Nanotechnology Be Used to Improve Access to Clean Water? - AZoNano - October 20th, 2019
- Acrylic Surface Coating Market 2019: Phenomenal Growth - Bio-Gate AG, Cima NanoTech, Nanophase Technologies Corporation - The State News - BBState - October 20th, 2019
- Global Nanotechnology Market Future Outlook to 2025 Discussed in New Market Research Report - Markets Gazette - October 20th, 2019
- After years of setbacks, Uticas nanotech project gets $1 billion tenant - WSYR - September 27th, 2019
- Nanotech Security Retires $3.0 Million Note | Investing News Network - Investing News Network (registration) - August 25th, 2017
- Duke combines immunotherapy, tumor-roasting nanotech to vaccinate mice against cancer - Durham Herald Sun - August 25th, 2017
- Is Industrial Nanotech Inc (INTK)'s Triple EMA Building Momentum? - Evergreen Caller - August 25th, 2017
- Immunotherapy, Nanotech Combine to Kill Cancer Cells More ... - Genetic Engineering & Biotechnology News - August 20th, 2017
- Share Performance Update on Nanotech Security Corp (NTS.V) - Morgan Research - August 20th, 2017
- Global Nanotech-enabled Aircraft Power Solutions Market to Grow ... - Markets Insider - August 20th, 2017
- Global Nanotech-enabled Aircraft Power Solutions Market to Grow at a CAGR of 8.8% by 2021: Demand for ... - PR Newswire UK (press release) - August 18th, 2017
- RMI Signaling Increased Momentum For Nanotech Security Corp (NTSFF) - Lenox Ledger - August 18th, 2017
- Global Nanotech-enabled Aircraft Power Solutions Market to Grow at a CAGR of 8.8% by 2021: Key Vendors are ... - Business Wire (press release) - August 16th, 2017
- Focusing the Lens on Nanotech Security Corp (NTS.V) Shares: Technical Update - JCTY News - August 14th, 2017
- Nanotech-enabled Aircraft Power Solutions Market to grow at a ... - E News Access (press release) - August 13th, 2017
- Nanotech-enabled Aircraft Power Solutions Market - Trends and Forecasts by Technavio - Business Wire (press release) - August 11th, 2017
- Taking Aim at NanoTech Gaming Inc (NTGL) Shares - FLBC News - August 11th, 2017