There may be far more water trapped inside Mars than we initially thought.
According to a new paper published by researchers at Caltech in the journal Science today, Mars may still hold anywhere between 30 and 99 percent of the ancient water from its lakes and oceans within its crust, with less water escaping through the planets atmosphere than previously thought.
Its an exciting prospect, suggesting that most of the water may not have disappeared into space as the planets atmosphere thinned out over the last three billion years.
Back then, scientists have theorized that Mars had enough water to cover the whole planet by an ocean 330 to around 5,000 feet deep, about half of the Atlantic ocean, according to a NASA statement on the new research.
Some of this water did escape into space via the Martian atmosphere but not all, according to the researchers.
Atmospheric escape doesnt fully explain the data that we have for how much water actually once existed on Mars, lead author and Caltech PhD candidate Eva Scheller said in the statement.
By analyzing data from a number of NASAs missions, the researchers studied how much water there was over the planets history and compared it to how much water there is in the planets atmosphere and crust now.
The researchers suggest that the two processes combined water being trapped in minerals in the planets crust and atmospheric escape could account for a relatively high percentage of observed deuterium.
Deuterium is a hydrogen atom which is heavier, because it has a proton and a neutron, when compared to its lighter counterpart, which has just a proton. This heavier hydrogen is far less likely to escape into atmosphere than its counterpart.
The team concluded that much of this water is trapped in hydrous minerals, something you can find here on Earth as well. This could account to anywhere between 30 and 99 percent of Mars total water loss in its first one to two billion years, according to the researchers, with atmospheric escape accounting for the rest.
Rather than being recycled back into the atmosphere through volcanism, the water trapped in minerals on Mars are drying out permanently. In other words, water [on Mars] is now locked up in the crust or been lost to space, according to Michael Meyer, lead scientist for NASAs Mars Exploration Program.
Theres a lot we still dont know about how much water there is on Mars right now, making it almost impossible to predict just how habitable the Red Planet is.
But we do know that Mars was likely far more habitable billions of years ago. Most excitingly, NASAs Perseverance Mars rover is exploring the Jezero crater, believed to have been an ancient lakebed several billion years ago.
It will be right there to investigate what might have been the mechanisms that caused water sequestration in these minerals in the crust, Scheller told MIT Technology Review.
READ MORE: Marss lost water may be buried beneath the planets crust [MIT Technology Review]
More on water on Mars: Scientists Just Found Three More Reservoirs of Liquid Water on Mars
As a Futurism reader, we invite you join the Singularity Global Community, our parent companys forum to discuss futuristic science & technology with like-minded people from all over the world. Its free to join, sign up now!
Read more here:
Mars' Oceans May Have Drained Into Its Interior - Futurism
- Company Starts Shipping Its $50,000 Mind-Reading Helmet - Futurism - June 18th, 2021
- I'm Going to See the Futuristic Lucid Air EV Sedan Next Week. What Do You Want to Know About It? - The Drive - June 18th, 2021
- Futuristic Wearable Designs that are emerging as the top tech trends of 2021! - Yanko Design - June 18th, 2021
- A Futuristic Amusement Park and an Ecological Power Plant: 16 Unbuilt Competition-Winning Projects Submitted to ArchDaily - ArchDaily - June 18th, 2021
- The Largest Structures in the Universe Started To Spin and We Don't Know Why - Futurism - June 18th, 2021
- Futuristic Self-Driving Car Hits Person the Old Fashioned Way - VICE - June 18th, 2021
- Jeff Bezos Is Helping Build a Fusion Power Plant in the UK - Futurism - June 18th, 2021
- Disney and Africas Kugali to unleash a futuristic Lagos in the upcoming series Iwaju - Animation Xpress - June 18th, 2021
- Experts Decide That Earth Has Five Oceans, Actually - Futurism - June 18th, 2021
- Germany Wants Tesla to Share Its Supercharger Network With Other Carmakers - Futurism - June 18th, 2021
- Battlefield 2042 Enlists AI Soldiers To The Fight On The Futuristic Multiplayer Front - Hot Hardware - June 18th, 2021
- NASA Has Assembled a Megarocket to Take Humans to the Moon - Futurism - June 18th, 2021
- Premiere: Rap Newcomer BXKS Shows Off Her Cosmic Brand Of Futurism On Must Feel - Complex - June 18th, 2021
- Prime Vision to offer a futuristic robotic sorting solution for the US - Post and Parcel - June 18th, 2021
- $1300 off this 8K Samsung TV deal is tempting us to upgrade to the futuristic resolution - GamesRadar+ - June 18th, 2021
- AMC and Heimplanet Reveal Electric Camping Truck | HYPEBEAST - HYPEBEAST - June 18th, 2021
- Influential Voices On The Future Of Work: Brian David Johnson, Futurist - Forbes - May 11th, 2021
- Futurist Deborah Westphal Releases New Book, "Convergence: Technology, Business, and the Human-Centric Future" - PRNewswire - May 11th, 2021
- Unpacking Returnals UX design: Gameplay-first UI, retro-futuristic tech, and accessibility - PlayStation.Blog - May 11th, 2021
- Toyota's Futuristic Woven City Will Be Powered by Hydrogen - autoevolution - May 11th, 2021
- The Opulent, Futuristic Megamansion of Bill and Melinda Gates Could Be a Hard Sell - Mansion Global - May 11th, 2021
- Scientists Turned HIV Into a Life-Saving Gene Therapy - Futurism - May 11th, 2021
- Experts Shred Paper Claiming to Identify Mushrooms on Mars - Futurism - May 11th, 2021
- Ford Patents Tech to Annoy Drivers With In-Car Advertisements - Futurism - May 11th, 2021
- Stewart Brand portrayed as tech futurist and publisher in We Are as Gods - SF Chronicle Datebook - April 21st, 2021
- UK to Add Atomwaffen Division to Proscribed Terrorist List | Kharon - Kharon Brief - April 21st, 2021
- Scientists Claim That Actually, Radiation Is Good For You - Futurism - April 21st, 2021
- Russia Is Reportedly Abandoning the International Space Station - Futurism - April 21st, 2021
- China's Population Is About to Start Declining, and Its Leaders Are Worried - Futurism - April 21st, 2021
- NASA Will Require SpaceX to Land Empty Starship on Moon Before Sending Astronauts - Futurism - April 21st, 2021
- The Futuristic Way You Could Soon Get Groceries Delivered From Walmart - Mashed - April 21st, 2021
- NASA Says Mars Helicopter Is Now Healthier Than It Was Before Flight - Futurism - April 21st, 2021
- Study: Humanity Has Ravaged All But 3 Percent of The Land on Earth - Futurism - April 21st, 2021
- Kyle Kuzma eclectic and futuristic style leads this week's edition of NBA Style Power Rankings - The Athletic - April 21st, 2021
- Five Longhorn Startups Launch Futuristic Solutions for the Challenges of Today - UT News - UT News | The University of Texas at Austin - April 19th, 2021
- This Theory Could Explain Many Military UFO Sightings - Futurism - April 19th, 2021
- Hyundai's Staria is the coolest futuristic minivan that we'll never get - CNET - April 19th, 2021
- Dogecoin Is Spiking and People Are Losing Their Minds - Futurism - April 19th, 2021
- US Spies Warn That China Is Building Space Weapons - Futurism - April 19th, 2021
- Terrifying Mutated-Looking "Creature" Turns Out to Be a Croissant - Futurism - April 19th, 2021
- Japanese Prime Minister Challenged to Drink Radioactive Water Before Dumping It Into the Ocean - Futurism - April 19th, 2021
- Bitcoin Creator Satoshi Nakomoto Is Now One of the World's Wealthiest People - Futurism - April 19th, 2021
- Elon Musk Says He Is Now the "Imperator of Mars" - Futurism - April 19th, 2021
- This Type of Ant Can Shrink and Regrow Its Brain - Futurism - April 19th, 2021
- The Stuff Beer Cans Are Made From Is Linked to Alzheimer's Disease - Futurism - April 19th, 2021
- CRISPR Therapies Pipeline Insights 2021: Analysis of Key Companies, Emerging Therapies, Recent Happenings and Futuristic Trends - GlobeNewswire - April 19th, 2021
- NYPD Robodog Involved in Arrest of Man With Gun - Futurism - April 19th, 2021
- Taco Bell Just Opened a Futuristic New Location In This Major City - Yahoo Lifestyle - April 19th, 2021
- NASA Considering Reality TV Show Filmed on Space Station - Futurism - April 19th, 2021
- Expert: Neuralink Could Sell Your Private Thoughts to the "Highest Bidder" - Futurism - April 19th, 2021
- Anomaly in Earth's Magnetic Field May Be Caused by Buried Fragment of Ancient Planet - Futurism - April 19th, 2021
- Cyberpunk 2077 Meets The Witchers Yennefer in Futuristic Cosplay - DualShockers - April 19th, 2021
- Battlefield 6 leaker claims slightly futuristic setting with drones and robots - Gamesradar - March 31st, 2021
- Smoking Will Disappear Within a Generation, Experts Say - Futurism - March 31st, 2021
- Humans Are Rapidly Losing the Ability to Procreate, Scientist Warns - Futurism - March 31st, 2021
- There Appears to Be a Huge Chunk of an Ancient Planet Buried Inside Earth - Futurism - March 31st, 2021
- Scientists Engineer Synthetic Bacteria That Multiplies Like the Real Thing - Futurism - March 31st, 2021
- South Korean President Announces Plans To Land On The Moon By 2030 - Futurism - March 31st, 2021
- This 525-Foot Superyacht Concept Is Powered by Solar Sails When Theres No Wind - Robb Report - March 31st, 2021
- Something Is Ripping Apart the Nearest Star Cluster to Earth - Futurism - March 31st, 2021
- Mercedes-Benz Showcases Futuristic Dashboard of its Upcoming EQS The EQS is essentially the all-electric version of the S-Class sedan. Not... - March 31st, 2021
- Hertfordshire property: The futuristic Radlett house that looks like it belongs on Grand Designs - Hertfordshire Mercury - March 31st, 2021
- Sims 4: Most Futuristic Homes On The Gallery | Game Rant - GameRant - March 31st, 2021
- Watch a SpaceX Rocket Stage Burn Up Spectacularly in the Earth's Atmosphere - Futurism - March 31st, 2021
- Mercedes shows off the futuristic cabin of its upcoming EQS flagship sedan - IOL - March 31st, 2021
- Battlefield 6 leak just revealed setting were going to the future - Tom's Guide - March 31st, 2021
- Five Principles for Thinking Like a Futurist | EDUCAUSE - March 25th, 2021
- Futurism - Wikipedia - March 25th, 2021
- The Futurist Controller - Matthews Effects - March 25th, 2021
- FUTURIST: Arriving at a global fork in the road - Sarasota Herald-Tribune - March 25th, 2021
- Hail a Taxi to the Sky? Palm Beach County Commissioners Signal Interest in Futuristic Travel Tech - AviationPros.com - March 25th, 2021
- Bill Gates Attempts to Explain Why He Bought More Farmland Than Anyone Else in America - Futurism - March 25th, 2021
- The Futuristic Hyundai Staria Minivan Is What a People Hauler Should Be in 2021 - The Drive - March 25th, 2021
- Watch This Awesome Video of Clouds Drifting Across the Martian Sky - Futurism - March 25th, 2021
- New images reveal vision of 'futuristic recovery' for East Midlands | TheBusinessDesk.com - The Business Desk - March 25th, 2021
- This Architect Designed a Conceptual Eco-Floating Hotel in Qatar - My Modern Met - March 25th, 2021
- The UAE Is Using Drones to Manipulate Weather - Futurism - March 25th, 2021
- Facebook Teases Futuristic Wrist-Based Wearable That Will Let You Control AR With Your Mind - Gizmodo - March 25th, 2021
- The Artists Building a Future out of Mushrooms - frieze.com - March 25th, 2021
- This Is What It Would Be Like to Ride Starship During Its Epic "Belly Flop" Maneuver - Futurism - March 25th, 2021