NEWS: NunavutAugust 02, 2017 - 8:00 am JANE GEORGE
You dont have to travel through the solar system to get to Mars.
Thats because you can find a bit of the Red Planet on Devon Island in Nunavuts High Arctic, about 200 kilometres south of Grise Fiord on Ellesmere Island.
Many consider Devons Haughton Crater, a 20-kilometre-wide hole punched out by a meteor collision 23 million years ago, and its surrounding red rock formationsseemingly plucked from a Star Wars filmto be similar to what youd find on a warmer Mars.
So much so, there are many who believe NASAs Rover shots from Mars are indeed shot on Devon Island and they have produced many Youtube videos documenting the alleged hoax, prompting many semi-serious news stories with headlines like The Wild Conspiracy Theory That NASA Is Faking Its Mars Rover Missions In Canada.
On these, you can see photos of rocks from a NASA Mars Rover shots which some say show a walrus bone or a lemming, as in this NASA photo.
Right now, an international crew of six has started a stay (three weeks late due to fog in Resolute Bay) at the edge of the Haughton Crater in a hab (short for habitat,) which looks like a large tin can, as part of a four-month Mars 160 Mission promoted by the Mars Society, which wants to see the colonization of Mars.
The white fibreglass habitat, called the Flashline Mars Arctic Research Station, was erected in July 21, 2000, around the same time as the 32nd anniversary of the first moon walk, and when this Nunatsiaq News reporter also managed to hop off a flight heading from Eureka to Resolute Bay to visit the site for a few days.
There, we learned that the loss of habitats key components in an airlift mishap, which included the crane that was to pull up the walls as well as the floors which were to hold these together, had caused problems for the Mars Society, its president and founder, Robert Zubrin, and his construction team:
They were under pressure to get the habitat up because Zubrin had pre-sold the rights to film the construction to the Discovery Channel for US $200,000.
Zubrin, the author of The Case for Mars: the plan to settle the Red Planet and Why We Must, has made the case that manned expeditions to Mars are possible and desirable. His message is that mankind thrives on adversity and that the exploration of Mars will start a new, positive era of human development.
Some of his Mars Societys members want Mars to become a utopian environment, with a new and better society where theres no government intervention, while others want to develop new commercial opportunities, such as the sale of viewing rights to Mars, raising rabbits on Mars (One giant leap, say its proponents) or even burying the deceased on Mars.
For the past eight years, the Flashline station has been uninhabited. In 2005, major problems encountered by the station dwellers included the weather (bad,) mud (sticky,) spaghetti (too much) and the lack of email.
Then, after 2009, due to conflicts between Zubrin and scientists in the neighbouring Haughton-Mars Mars on Earth Project, who have, on and off since 1997, actually tested out some space-age tools at the same site, no one has returned to the station.
Since 2013, the Mars Society has been fundraising to revive the station which it says will serve as a testing ground for Mars exploration, become a useful field research facility and generate public support for sending people to Mars.
According to logs on the Mars Society website, the crew, whose biographies you can read here have undertaken a scouting mission to the south to test trafficability to the Gemini Hills in an EVA or Extra-Vehicular Activity, with protective suits and oxygen tanks, because when youre pretending youre an astronaut on Mars, rather than in Nunavuts back yard, you cant breathe the air.
A member of the crew also made a dish of rice with a number of different sauces containing lentils, beans, tomatoes, chocolate, coffee, maple syrup, honey, coconut milk, milk powder, soy sauce, raisins and many different spices: These are just a few of the ingredients. We are hoping for better weather tomorrow, but the forecast is not good. We have plans for all contingencies.
Their Flashline project does not appear on the list of High Arctic research groups supported by the Polar Continental Shelf Program, which provides logistical support to scientific projects, but its project description, sent to the Nunavut Research Institute, shows those in the station plan to look at lichens and various aspects of the geology of the crater during their stay.
See original here:
Mars crew sets up shop again on Nunavut's Devon Island - Nunatsiaq News
- Elon Musk is still thinking big with SpaceX's Starship Mars-colonizing rocket. Really big. - Space.com - January 18th, 2020
- Local student selected as semifinalist in competition to name Mars 2020 rover - KRDO - January 18th, 2020
- Heres what all the movies set in 2020 predicted this year would be like - Digital Trends - January 18th, 2020
- Amos Is Enough Reason to Finally Watch The Expanse - The Ringer - January 18th, 2020
- The Bezos, Musk and Branson billionaire space race is happening right now - Yahoo Finance Australia - January 18th, 2020
- Being copycats might be key to being human - The Conversation US - January 18th, 2020
- Amazon plots Last Days series, updates Lord of the Rings, Wheel of Time, more - SYFY WIRE - January 18th, 2020
- Video: Should The Government Spend Money On Colonizing Mars? Hear From Everyday People And Visitors In USA | Hollywood Insiders Messages From America ... - January 17th, 2020
- NASA to send a probe to Europa to find alien life by 2040 - The Jerusalem Post - January 17th, 2020
- May the Space Force be With You: New Chief of Space Operations Sworn In - ClearanceJobs - January 17th, 2020
- How Do We Colonize Mars? - Universe Today - January 5th, 2020
- The Decade of Mars: How the 2020s May Be a New Era of Red Planet Exploration - Space.com - January 5th, 2020
- NASA Discovered Easy To Access Water Ice On Mars. Heres Why That Matters - Forbes - December 13th, 2019
- 'The Expanse': Here's a Recap of Seasons 1-3 Ahead of Season 4 on Amazon Prime - Space.com - December 13th, 2019
- Water found on Mars just one inch beneath surface; boost for Red Planet colonization and quest to find alien life - International Business Times,... - December 13th, 2019
- Everything you need to know before The Expanse season 4 - FanSided - December 13th, 2019
- Life In MARS: Human Beings Can Now Thrive In Red Planet's Conditions - The Digital Wise - December 13th, 2019
- Scientists Are Planning a 1,000 Year Trip to Another Planet - Futurism - December 13th, 2019
- The potato: The treasure of the Incas that could save us from the next great famine - AL DIA News - December 13th, 2019
- The Elon Musk 'pedo guy' verdict shows Twitter and the courts don't prioritize the truth - NBC News - December 13th, 2019
- With a Second Life on Amazon, The Expanse Is Soaring - The Ringer - December 13th, 2019
- Does NASA's Plan To Drop Planetary Protection For Parts Of Mars Risk Future Discoveries Of Extraterrestrial Life? - Science 2.0 - November 18th, 2019
- NASA's next mission to look for ancient alien signatures on Mars, Jim Green's prediction turning true? - International Business Times, India Edition - November 18th, 2019
- Will people go to spaceand then colonize it? - Quartz - October 27th, 2019
- Space Agencies and Private Industry Discuss Making a Giant Leap on Collaboration - Space.com - October 24th, 2019
- Gardening in outer space is going to be tough - Treehugger - October 24th, 2019
- NASA may opt for inflatable habitats to house future human missions to Moon, Mars and beyond - Firstpost - October 24th, 2019
- Anime Series Coming to Netflix in 2019 - What's on Netflix - October 24th, 2019
- Signs Of Ancient Life Found Deep Within Europe's Biggest Impact Crater - IFLScience - October 24th, 2019
- NASA chief says the first human on Mars may be a woman - NBC News - October 22nd, 2019
- Surviving the Aftermath, the sequel to Surviving Mars, is out now - PC Gamer - October 22nd, 2019
- At IAC, Pence sets heavy political tone and touts "space force" again - Inverse - October 22nd, 2019
- Why isn't Germany taking over the moon? - DW (English) - October 22nd, 2019
- Video Shows SpaceX Building Another Starship Rocket In Florida - International Business Times - October 22nd, 2019
- Elon Musk Unveils SpaceXs Newest Mars-Colonizing Spacecraft - Observer - October 1st, 2019
- Elon Musk says SpaceX's Mars rocket will be cheaper than he once thought. Here's why - CNN - October 1st, 2019
- Could Astronauts Harvest Nutrients From Their Waste? - Smithsonian - August 25th, 2017
- Ancient Aliens: Did Truman create the Majestic 12 to conceal UFOs? - Hidden Remote - August 22nd, 2017
- Elon Musk signs letter urging UN to protect world from 'Pandora's box' of deadly autonomous weapons - Washington Examiner - August 20th, 2017
- Comparing Reactions of different Groups to Nuclear Thermal Rocket enabled space colonization - Next Big Future - August 10th, 2017
- Elon Musk hints at cutting half the engines from Mars ship - Gears Of Biz - August 5th, 2017
- The Ethics of Mars Exploration: Q&A with Lucianne Walkowicz - Space.com - August 3rd, 2017
- Mars 2030: What It Was Like to Explore the Red Planet in Virtual Reality - Space.com - August 1st, 2017
- Kickstarter Alert: Get to Mars With 'Total Recall: The Official Tabletop Game' - GeekDad (blog) - August 1st, 2017
- human Mars: Mars Colonization Timeline - July 31st, 2017
- Mars colonization - Android Marvel (blog) - July 29th, 2017
- SpaceX's First Mars Rocket Will Launch This November - Fortune - July 29th, 2017
- Portals to New Worlds: Martian Exploration Near the North Pole - News Deeply - July 26th, 2017
- Tell the media bipartisanship's alive and well in DC - Orlando Sentinel - July 26th, 2017
- Elon Musk's Mars rocket may be about to lose half of its engines - Ars Technica - July 25th, 2017
- Buzz Aldrin Says Humans Need To Get Off Earth - The Fresh Toast - July 25th, 2017
- Adam Savage explains why space suits are his happy place - The ... - The Verge - July 24th, 2017
- SpaceX may scrap plans to land Dragon spacecrafts on Mars by end of 2020s - SYFY WIRE (blog) - July 21st, 2017
- Buzz Aldrin: It's Time for Humans to Start Looking at Other Planets to Live On - Futurism - July 19th, 2017
- Six Volunteer 'Astronauts' Are About to Lock Themselves Inside a Simulated Mars Colony - Futurism - July 17th, 2017
- NASA Could Reach Mars Faster with Public-Private Partnerships, Companies Tell Congress - Space.com - July 14th, 2017
- NASA: Understanding Fungi is Necessary to Keep Humans Safe While Exploring Space - Futurism - July 13th, 2017
- The 2016 Spacex Mars Colonization plan has been published ... - July 12th, 2017
- Study Says Life On Mars Will Have Fungus: Can Space Travelers Risk Infection? - International Business Times - July 11th, 2017
- JCB Pioneer: Mars Bringing Realistic Colonization to Steam Early ... - Capsule Computers - July 11th, 2017
- GOOD NEWS FROM SCHOOLS: Students attend STEM camp at Piedmont College - Gwinnettdailypost.com - July 8th, 2017
- Mars surface 'more uninhabitable' than thought: study - Phys.Org - July 8th, 2017
- Now Is the Time to Colonize Mars, Elon Musk Says - July 5th, 2017
- NASA to Test Nuclear Reactor Designed to Power Future Mars Colony - Futurism - July 5th, 2017
- How Living on Mars Could Challenge Colonists (Infographic) - July 5th, 2017
- Child Slaves on Mars? NASA Debunks InfoWars Conspiracy Theory - Patheos (blog) - July 2nd, 2017
- Snake Robots Could Allow Us to Explore the Caverns of Mars - Futurism - June 29th, 2017
- IKEA Designers Make Life on Mars Feel Like Homeand Vice Versa - Crave Online - June 29th, 2017
- Will We Ever Colonize Mars? - space.com - June 28th, 2017
- Why the Secret Mars Colonization? | Almine - June 28th, 2017
- Intersection: Keep Calm And Go To Mars - WMFE - June 28th, 2017
- Valles Marineris landing would leave little room for error - Enid News & Eagle - June 26th, 2017
- E3 2017: Surviving Mars Preview A Casual Colony Sim with a Hidden Mystery - COGconnected - June 24th, 2017
- If We Want To Colonize Mars, First We Need to Study Sex in Space - TrendinTech - June 23rd, 2017
- Elon Musk claims Mars colony dreams critical to avoid 'Doomsday' event - ZDNet - June 19th, 2017
- Sending Humans to Mars: 8 Steps to Red Planet Colonization - June 18th, 2017
- 'Hibernating' Astronauts May Be Key to Mars Colonization - June 18th, 2017
- SpaceX's Elon Musk to Reveal Mars Colonization Ideas This Year - June 18th, 2017
- Meet NASA's Mars robot - Digital Trends - June 18th, 2017
- Elon Musk brings his Mars plan before the scientific community - Engadget - June 16th, 2017