In Gwyneth Paltrows new Netflix series, The Goop Lab, Paltrow explores a variety of wellness management approaches, from energy healing to psychedelic psychotherapy.
Goop has long been criticised for making unsubstantiated health claims and advancing pseudoscience, but the brand is incredibly popular. It was valued at over US$250 million (A$370 million) in 2019.
The alternative health industry is worth A$4.1 billion in Australia alone and projected to grow.
A key driver of the industry is increased health consciousness. With easier access to information, better health literacy, and open minds, consumers are increasingly seeking alternatives to managing their well-being.
Goop has capitalised on the rise in popularity of alternative health therapies treatments not commonly practised under mainstream Western medicine.
Health systems in countries such as Australia are based on Western medicine, eschewing traditional and indigenous practices. These Western systems operate on measurable and objective indicators of health and well-being, ignoring the fact subjective assessments such as job satisfaction and life contentment are just as important in evaluating quality of life.
This gap between objective measures and subjective assessments creates a gap in the marketplace brands can capitalise on not always for the benefit of the consumer.
The Goop Lab fails to engage with the cultural heritage of traditional health and well-being practices in any meaningful way, missing an important opportunity to forward the holistic health cause.
Read more: Gwyneth Paltrow's new Goop Lab is an infomercial for her pseudoscience business
The uncritical manner in which these therapies are presented, failure to attribute their traditional origins, absence of fact-checking, and lack of balanced representation of the arguments for and against these therapies only serve to set back the wellness cause.
Many of the historical and cultural origins of the therapies in The Goop Lab are not investigated, effectively whitewashing them.
The first episode, The Healing Trip, explores psychedelic psychotherapy, suggesting this is a new and novel approach to managing mental health.
In reality, psychedelics have been used in non-Western cultures for thousands of years, only recently enjoying a re-emergence in the Western world.
In the second episode, Cold Comfort, the Wim Hof Method (breathing techniques and cold therapy) is also marketed as a novel therapy.
The meditation component of Hofs method ignores its Hindu origins, documented in the Vedas from around 1500 BCE. The breathing component closely resembles pryma, a yogic breathing practice. The Hof dance looks a lot like tai chi, an ancient Chinese movement practice.
Whitewashing these alternative therapies represents a form of colonisation and commodification of non-Western practices that have existed for centuries.
The experts showcased are usually white and from Western cultures, rather than people of the cultures and ethnicities practising these therapies as part of their centuries-old traditions.
Rather than accessing these therapies from authentic, original sources, often the consumers only option is to turn to Western purveyors. Like Paltrow, these purveyors are business people capitalising on consumers desire and pursuit of wellness.
Paltrow describes Goop as a resource to help people optimise the self. But many of these therapies are economically inaccessible.
In The Health-Span Plan, Paltrow undergoes the five-day Fast Mimicking Diet by ProLon a diet designed to reap the health benefits of fasting while extremely restricting calories. The food for the treatment period costs US$249 (A$368) (but shipping is free!). The average Australian household spends just over A$250 on groceries weekly.
Paltrow also undergoes a vampire facial, where platelet-rich plasma extracted from your own blood is applied to your skin. This facial is available at one Sydney skin clinic for between A$550 and A$1,499.
These therapies commodify wellness and health as a luxury product, implying only the wealthy deserve to live well, and longer.
This sits in stark odds with the goals of the World Health Organisation, which views health as a fundamental human right without distinction of race, religion, political belief, economic, or social condition.
Companies like Goop have a responsibility to explain the science and the origins of the methods they explore.
Given their profit-driven motive, many absolve themselves of this responsibility with an easy disclaimer their content is intended to entertain and inform not provide medical advice. This pushes the burden of critically researching these therapies onto the consumer.
Governments should seek to fund public health systems, such as Medicare, to integrate traditional health practices from other cultures through consultation and working in collaboration with those cultures.
Read more: Traditional medicines must be integrated into health care for culturally diverse groups
Perhaps this will give everyone access to a wellness system to help us live well, longer. This way, citizens are less likely to be driven towards opportunists such as Goop seeking to capitalise on our fundamental human right to live well.
- Indian doctors protest herbal treatments being touted for COVID-19 - National Geographic - June 6th, 2021
- Deepak Chopra did LSD for the first time in a Harvard lab and felt his consciousness shift while staring at a photo of Mother Teresa - Yahoo News - June 6th, 2021
- Efficacy of traditional medicine to combat Covid-19 pandemic - ETHealthworld.com - June 6th, 2021
- Glasgow University bows to pressure and removes name of billionaire donors accused over US drugs catastrophe - The Sunday Post - June 6th, 2021
- Merck's KEYTRUDA (pembrolizumab) Given After Surgery Reduced the Risk of Disease Recurrence or Death by 32% Versus Placebo as Adjuvant Therapy in... - June 6th, 2021
- New Antipsychotic That Causes Less Weight Gain Gets FDA Approval - Everyday Health - June 6th, 2021
- 10 Pros And Cons Of Alternative Medicine Is Contemporary ... - June 2nd, 2021
- The Truth About Alternative Medical Treatments - June 2nd, 2021
- Alternative Medicine Pros and Cons - Alternative Health ... - June 2nd, 2021
- Integrative medicine: Find out what works - Mayo Clinic - June 2nd, 2021
- Top 100 Alternative Medicine Blogs and Websites in 2021 - June 2nd, 2021
- HISTORY OF ALTERNATIVE MEDICINE - The Complete Herbal Guide - June 2nd, 2021
- 21 Best Health And Alternative Medicine Websites - Must ... - June 2nd, 2021
- Benefits of Alternative Medicine - Everglades University - June 2nd, 2021
- Integrative medicine: Different techniques, one goal ... - June 2nd, 2021
- What are Popular Career Options in Alternative Medicine? - June 2nd, 2021
- Medicare slow to respond to seniors' increasing interest in alternative medicine - MedCity News - June 2nd, 2021
- Defining Complementary and Alternative Medicine ... - June 2nd, 2021
- A revolutionary gene therapy is bringing hope to UK parents - but it comes with a steep price tag - Euronews - June 2nd, 2021
- Texas veteran and state representative advocate for psychedelic therapy to treat veterans with PTSD - CBS19.tv KYTX - June 2nd, 2021
- Complementary And Alternative Medicine Market Impact and Recovery Analysis| Nordic Naturals, Helio USA, Yoga Tree, Pure Encapsulations, Inc KSU | The... - June 2nd, 2021
- Loncastuximab Tesirine Provides Alternative for Broad Range of Patients With DLBCL - OncLive - June 2nd, 2021
- The Mouth-Body Connection: This Dentist Is Breaking Down The Wall Between Medicine And Dentistry - Forbes - June 2nd, 2021
- 'Good' Bacteria Show Promise for Clinical Treatment of Crohn's Disease, Ulcerative Colitis | Newsroom - UNC Health and UNC School of Medicine - June 2nd, 2021
- Overview of Alternative Medicine Market by Recent Opportunities, Growth Size, Regional Analysis and Forecasts to 2026 Jumbo News - Jumbo News - June 2nd, 2021
- Global AYUSH and Alternative Medicine Market by Size, Key Players, Regional Trends and Growth Trends with Forecast 2021 to 2026 Sports Talk Line LLC... - June 2nd, 2021
- COVID-19: Meet doctor who developed cost-effective inhalation therapy - The Siasat Daily - June 2nd, 2021
- What Is Reiki And How Does It Work? - Forbes - June 2nd, 2021
- Natural Xanax Alternatives - Over the Counter Pills for Anxiety and Stress - L.A. Weekly - June 2nd, 2021
- What Lies Beneath: The Sorcerer's Apprentice and... : Emergency Medicine News - LWW Journals - June 2nd, 2021
- Telangana faces severe shortage of drug to treat black fungus infection - The News Minute - June 2nd, 2021
- Mind Scanners dev Malte Burup on forcing a game design onto a concept, the psychotherapy of the 1800s, and the player's struggle to become a hero -... - June 2nd, 2021
- Alternative Medicines Market: Increase in Inclination Toward Safe and Lesser Side Effects Boosts the Global Market KSU | The Sentinel Newspaper - KSU... - June 2nd, 2021
- Biologic Therapeutics Market Trends and Future Growth Opportunities Analysis Report - BioSpace - June 2nd, 2021
- Are supplements and alternative therapies all theyre cracked up to be? - Starts at 60 - May 22nd, 2021
- Complementary And Alternative Medicine Market | What Will The Industry Size & The Growth Rate Be in 2028 The Manomet Current - The Manomet... - May 22nd, 2021
- Adult acne: Causes, treatment, and prevention - Medical News Today - May 22nd, 2021
- Village in India turns to alternative medicine amid COVID-19 pandemic - SABC News - May 22nd, 2021
- TransMedia Group to Introduce Integrity Health Corp's Western Medicine Alternatives to Achieve Longer Lifespan with Improved Health Span - PRNewswire - May 22nd, 2021
- Is Veterinary Acupuncture Right for Your Pet? Here's what you need to know. - NBC 6 South Florida - May 22nd, 2021
- Bonus Offered for Early Registration of Medical Cannabis Patient Cards - West Virginia Department of Health and Human Resources - May 22nd, 2021
- Doctor, Doctor: Alternative Education and Career Paths in the Medical Field - eLearningInside News - May 22nd, 2021
- Updated Report of Complementary and Alternative Medicine Market with Current Trends, Drivers, Strategies, Applications and Competitive Landscape 2026 ... - May 22nd, 2021
- Deepak Chopra says he wants to bring awareness to psychedelics as a potential source of mind-body healing - CNBC - May 22nd, 2021
- Regenerative Medicine Market - Increasing Demand of Personalized Medicines and the Advancements in Technology Drive the Market | TMR Research Study -... - May 22nd, 2021
- Lamar Odom Reborn: New Documentary Follows NBA Athlete's Journey to Beat Addiction and Anxiety Through the Use of Psychedelic Medicines - PRNewswire - May 22nd, 2021
- Global Cell Therapy Market Report 2021 Featuring Key Innovators Such as JCR Pharmaceuticals, NuVasive, Medipost, Vericel, and Avantor - Market to... - May 22nd, 2021
- Sonu Sood asks why are doctors recommending unavailable medicines to patients: 'How will a common man get them?' - Hindustan Times - May 22nd, 2021
- electroCore, Inc. Celebrates Veterans and Active Members of the Military During National Military Appreciation Month - Business Wire - May 22nd, 2021
- Jess Ainscough was Australias first alternative medicine influencer. Her story ended tragically. - Mamamia - May 22nd, 2021
- Complementary And Alternative Medicine Market Popular Trends & Technological Advancements To Watch Out For Near Future with COVID-19 Impact... - April 27th, 2021
- The Superiority Of Alternative Medicine: The Life Of A Hotel Doctor | By Mike Oppenheim Hospitality Net - Hospitality Net - April 27th, 2021
- Balancing Integrative and Conventional Approaches to Dermatologic Care - MD Magazine - April 27th, 2021
- ESIC Medical College and Hospital, Faridabad announces Positive Results of a clinical study evaluating Nisarga Herbs' Neem Capsules for Prevention of... - April 27th, 2021
- The 7 Incredible Evidence-Based Health Benefits of Dates - The Beet - April 27th, 2021
- With a third of its capital deployed, Risk & Return is transforming how we think about emergency response - TechCrunch - April 27th, 2021
- Just like Ministers, MLAs and bureaucrats, boost your immunity with this alternative medicine - Asianet Newsable - April 27th, 2021
- COVID-19 Information: Can nebuliser be used as an alternative to oxygen cylinder and concentrator? Know here - Jagran English - April 27th, 2021
- AYUSH and Alternative Medicine Market Size, Demand, Growth Innovation, Trends, Region, Forecasts to 2026 | Baidyanath, Patanjali, Himalya Herbals,... - April 27th, 2021
- Riociguat May Be Useful Alternative to PDE5i Therapy in Pulmonary Arterial Hypertension - Pulmonology Advisor - April 27th, 2021
- The Medical Wellness Market To Grow In Direct Proportion With Innovations KSU | The Sentinel Newspaper - KSU | The Sentinel Newspaper - April 27th, 2021
- Years Later, the Decision to Walk Away from Aromatase Inhibitors Has Worked for Me - Curetoday.com - April 27th, 2021
- Future Scope of Alternative And Complementary Medicine Market by Key Segments, Growth Size, Emerging Trends and Forecast to 2026 Clark County Blog -... - April 27th, 2021
- Global Complementary and Alternative Medicine Market Research Report 2021 Growth Share, Trends, Opportunities, Outlook & Forecast 2026 ... - April 27th, 2021
- Mindfulness Meditation Apps Market | Know the Trends have the Potential to bring Expansive Market Growth - BioSpace - April 27th, 2021
- The Veteran Detectives Probe a Case Involving Cryopreservation and Alternative Medicine on New Tricks - Shockya.com - April 19th, 2021
- Can alternative medicine systems like Ayurveda be tapped to fight Covid-19? - Sambad English - April 19th, 2021
- A promising development in the fight against Covid - Bangkok Post - April 19th, 2021
- Pooja Bedi tweets her defence when asked if she's qualified to give medical advice, endorses alternative medicine - Hindustan Times - April 19th, 2021
- It's Dog Parent Appreciation Day, Here Are 5 Vet-Recommended Ways to Strengthen Your Bond With Your Dog - PRNewswire - April 19th, 2021
- The School of Alternative Medicine has suggested an offer to the students of Cobach Diario Chiapas Hoy - Sunday Vision - April 19th, 2021
- Study: Psilocybin in psychedelic mushrooms may be more effective than leading antidepressant - The Union Leader - April 19th, 2021
- Move to legalisation of psychedelics could benefit CPH in the US - Finfeed - April 19th, 2021
- Explainer: How worried should we be about links of blood clots to AstraZeneca's vaccine? - Reuters - April 19th, 2021
- Gluconite Reviews - Does It Work? (What They Won't Tell You) - GlobeNewswire - April 19th, 2021
- How best to counter the virus of disinformation on Covid-19 vaccines? - The Straits Times - April 19th, 2021
- Alternative Therapies: Finding 'harmony' in health, one note at a time - DTNEXT - April 17th, 2021
- Alternative Healthcare Providers Market is Witnessing an Admirable Growth Due to Medical Advancements KSU | The Sentinel Newspaper - KSU | The... - April 17th, 2021
- Complementary and Alternative Medicine Market 2020 Overview and Analysis, COVID-19 Impact Analysis, Market Status and Forecast by Players, Regions to... - April 17th, 2021
- Treating chronic myeloid leukemia (CML): By phase and more - Medical News Today - April 17th, 2021