And by the time people are in a position to begin colonising other planets, mankind will be a technologically-augmented species, Bob Flint, the technology director with BPs Digital Innovation Organisation, predicted. The recent BBC One drama series Years and Years touched on such concepts, with one character voicing her desire to become transhuman - in other words, dramatically enhanced by technology - and Mr Flint said the concept was perhaps not as far-fetched as it might sound. Mr Flint, who will present his ideas during a talk entitled The Upgradeable Human at the New Scientist Live festival at Londons ExCel centre, said: Humankinds development is a story of using technology to add to our capabilities think clothing and spectacles, or more recently pacemakers and laser eye surgery.
We can imagine augmenting our strength, stamina, senses and even intelligence
Now, with technology becoming incredibly powerful through digital, the possibilities are becoming exponentially greater. We can imagine augmenting our strength, stamina, senses and even intelligence.
It was yesterday announced that a French man, known has Thiabault, had managed to walk in the exoskeleton in a pioneering experiment carried out by scientists at the University of Grenoble in France.
As a result, the next few decades could see an increasing blurring of the lines between man and machine, Mr Flint said.
He explained: Wearables are an early example of this trend, but new technology is emerging which can be incorporated more seamlessly into the body, heralding an era where humans and machines will be closely integrated.
Eventually, its possible humans may be able to move beyond the evolutionary process by selecting digital upgrades that overcome the constraints of biology and allow each of us to choose powerful new abilities, which can be used in our personal and working lives.
Such concepts have been featured in modern sci-fi shows including Charlie Brookers Black Mirror, and the aforementioned Years and Years, written by Russell T Davies and even as far back as the Six Million Dollar Man in the 1970s.
Mr Flint said: I loved Years and Years, and thought it was great to see TV drama exploring some very futuristic concepts.
Personally, I think were some way from the transhumanism that is mentioned (one of the characters wanted to upload her personality and experiences to become a purely digital being, which would need huge advances in computing).
Im actually talking about the opposite idea, using digital technology to give our human selves greater powers - this is possible now.
READ MORE: Jet suit breakthrough: Buck Rogers in the 21st Century
Im just predicting it will become easier, cheaper and much less noticeable in the near future.
I think the bigger issue is not so much whether this will be technically possible there are lots of research projects and early products which signpost the direction of travel.
Its more whether upgrading ourselves will be seen as socially acceptable. This is hard to call, but I think that if it gives us an advantage, maybe in work, sport or socially, then eventually it will simply be regarded as a normal thing to do.
There are all sorts of major ethical questions here, some of the ones weve come across are: will human upgrades only be available to the very rich? How will the most deserving get hold of necessary technology even if they dont have the means to pay for it?
DON'T MISSRobots to take on third of unskilled jobs 'in ten years' [SCIENCE]Cyborg robots: Lab-grown biohybrid muscles could MIMIC humans [PICTURES]CYBORGS one step closer as robots created which respond to TOUCH[ANALYSIS]
What does privacy mean in an age where technology can collect lots of personal information on our physical or mental state? How do we hang onto the rights to our own data?
If a company is looking to hire a new member of staff, how should they treat the technically augmented versus the non-augmented applicants? Is the playing field ever going to be level again?
We really need a public conversation on these issues, so we can decide what regulation or legal change we may need in this area.
For example, the Royal Society has recently kicked off a public dialogue on neural interfaces, which is a great start.
Looking further into the future, Mr Flint believed technological enhancements may also help humans conquer space.
He explained: I know theres a big debate about whether its preferable for humans to lead the exploration of other worlds, or robots.
Certainly, robotic methods are going to be easier (and less costly) in the short term, as you dont need to create habitable conditions on board the spacecraft or on the planet you land on.
But eventually, if humankind is going to become an interplanetary species, well need to get good at moving life across vast tracts of space.
I actually dont think that having an upgraded human is mandatory to enable this. But I do think that the timescales will coincide in other words, we will be a technologically-augmented species anyway, by the time we seriously attempt to colonise other worlds.
The Upgradeable Human is on the Humans stage on October 10 between 10.45am and 11.25am.
See the article here:
- How Deus Ex: Human Revolution Perfectly Predicts The Future - Fiction Talk - January 20th, 2020
- The 2010s were the decade of trans - The Spectator USA - December 18th, 2019
- From Brain Games to the philosophy of the future: Jason Silva - Daily Sabah - December 18th, 2019
- How our screen stories of the future went from flying cars to a darker version of now - The Conversation AU - December 10th, 2019
- Exclusive: Ted Atherton Explains the Pathology of Beauty in RABID - Dread Central - December 10th, 2019
- New Connections Emerge Between The Clintons And Jeffrey Epstein: Report - The Daily Wire - December 4th, 2019
- What is biohacking? The new science of optimizing your brain and body. - Vox.com - November 18th, 2019
- Religious and spiritual online forums consist of chaotic, impactful ideas - Lamron - November 2nd, 2019
- Asad J. Malik's AR Studio, 1RIC, Is ScalingTo Ground The Augmented In Reality (Exclusive) - Forbes - October 24th, 2019
- The transhumanists who are 'upgrading' their bodies - BBC News - October 6th, 2019
- Insight: Transhumanists believe in the bionic body beautiful - The Scotsman - October 6th, 2019
- Hereticon, From Peter Thiel's Founders Fund, Is a 'Conference for People Banned From Other Conferences' - The Daily Beast - October 6th, 2019
- Peter Thiel's Promised Land For Intellectual Troublemakers - SafeHaven.com - October 6th, 2019
- Peter Thiel's VC Fund to Host Conference for Ideological 'Heretics,' Maybe Summon a Ghost or Two - Gizmodo UK - October 6th, 2019
- Long live candidate Harris, Milwaukee's US Transhumanist Party presidential hopeful - Milwaukee Record - September 25th, 2019
- Author Mark OConnell awarded 10,000 Rooney Prize for Irish Literature 2019 - The Irish Times - September 25th, 2019
- David Goldman on Gelernter's Darwin Apostasy - Discovery Institute - September 25th, 2019
- Mark O'Connell wins Rooney Prize for Irish Literature Books - RTE.ie - September 25th, 2019
- The Solace of the Jersey Shore - Splice Today - September 25th, 2019
- TRICOAST ENTERTAINMENT RELEASES FIRST TRANSHUMANISM VOD, AMELIA 2.0 - Digital Journal - August 9th, 2017
- Pop music moves a step closer to eternal life - The Columbian - August 6th, 2017
- How the death of EDM brought pop music one step closer to eternal life - Washington Post - August 3rd, 2017
- Artificial intelligence ethics the same as other new technology - Crux: Covering all things Catholic - July 29th, 2017
- The MetroSpiritual: Creating super-humans through Transhumanism is becoming a reality - New York Daily News - July 28th, 2017
- Luton hate crime probe over St Thomas's church graffiti - BBC News - July 26th, 2017
- Fringe movements key to changing the world - Winnipeg Free Press - July 23rd, 2017
- Putting Infants Down Like Dogs - First Things - July 21st, 2017
- Transhumanism - Catholicism.org - July 20th, 2017
- Let's Turn America's Military-Industrial Complex into a Science-Industrial Complex - HuffPost - July 17th, 2017
- transhumanism | social and philosophical movement ... - July 5th, 2017
- Would human enhancement create Supermen or super tyrants? - RT - July 3rd, 2017
- Transhumanism Conference at Samford University - June 29th, 2017
- What's Love Got to Do with Transhumanism? - First Things - June 23rd, 2017
- Peter Thiel is Funding the Comeback of the Woolly Mammoth - Inverse - June 22nd, 2017
- Futuristic Thriller State of Mind Gets 15 Minutes of New Gameplay Footage - DualShockers - June 22nd, 2017
- Radicals Chasing Utopia Sets out to Be Your User Guide to Radical Movements - HuffPost - June 14th, 2017
- 4 life-changing emerging technologies to get excited about - Born2Invest - June 9th, 2017
- Guardian Weekly letters, 26 May 2017 - The Guardian - May 23rd, 2017
- 'Prey' (PS4) review: More hybrid than human, and that's OK - Auburn Citizen - May 22nd, 2017
- Transhumanism University of Minnesota Press - April 25th, 2017
- Transhumanism Is Just Fancy Sex-Shaming And Self-Loathing - April 12th, 2017
- Spectrum: Transhumanism, human uploads, and Homo Deus - Deutsche Welle - April 12th, 2017
- Transhumanism Is Just Fancy Sex-Shaming And Self-Loathing - The Federalist - April 7th, 2017
- Covert Transhumanism: A Mind Control Documentary - YouTube - April 2nd, 2017
- Can Transhumanism Help Achieve Human Immortality? - Science World Report - March 23rd, 2017
- Transhumanism: An Attempt To Use Technology To Turn Men Into ... - March 23rd, 2017
- Brave New Transhumanism World - Patheos (blog) - March 21st, 2017
- Essay collection Nietzsche and Transhumanism: Precursor or Enemy? To be Released - Institute for Ethics and Emerging Technologies - March 17th, 2017
- The Reality Principle - Institute for Ethics and Emerging Technologies - March 11th, 2017
- Touring transhumanism 'To Be a Machine' - Maine Edge - March 1st, 2017
- One Response to Buddhism and Transhumanism - Lankaweb - February 23rd, 2017
- Transhumanism: Genetic Engineering of Man - the New ... - February 10th, 2017
- Sociologist: 'Capitalism 2.0' about to slay liberalism's sacred cow - WND.com - February 7th, 2017
- Trexit?: Transnationalism and Transhumanism and why They ... - January 13th, 2017
- What is transhumanism, or, what does it mean to be human? | ExtremeTech - November 27th, 2016
- Transhumanism The History of a Dangerous Idea - November 27th, 2016
- Transhumanism - Transhumanismo - October 1st, 2016
- Transhumanism Australia - September 14th, 2016
- Hidden In Plain Sight 4 Movies That Expose The Globalist ... - August 10th, 2016
- Library : Transhumanism | Catholic Culture - July 18th, 2016
- ThinkBeyond.us | What Is Transhumanism? - June 26th, 2016
- Transhumanism in fiction - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - June 26th, 2016
- Immortality, Transhumanism, and Ray Kurzweils Singularity - June 26th, 2016
- Transhumanism: The World's Most Dangerous Idea? - June 26th, 2016
- Synthetic Life - Robotoids, Parasites and Artificial ... - June 19th, 2016
- Vaccination Agenda: An Implicit Transhumanism / Dehumanism - June 17th, 2016
- Transhumanisme | Don Juan: Wozu bermenschlich, wenn du ... - June 17th, 2016
- Teilhard de Chardin and Transhumanism - June 17th, 2016
- ThinkBeyond.us | What Is Transhumanism? - June 16th, 2016
- Transhumanisme | Don Juan: Wozu bermenschlich, wenn du ... - June 16th, 2016
- Outline of transhumanism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - June 15th, 2016
- The Politics of Transhumanism - Changesurfer - March 28th, 2016
- Transhumanism: The History of a Dangerous Idea: David ... - March 27th, 2016
- Transhumanism - End Times Bible Prophecy - March 26th, 2016
- Transhumanism by Julian Huxley (1957) - March 26th, 2016
- Transhumanism Wikipedia - March 26th, 2016
- Transhumanism | Bioethics.com - March 26th, 2016
- transhumanism | social and philosophical movement | Britannica.com - March 26th, 2016
- Transhumanism - RationalWiki - March 25th, 2016
- Transhumanism | Bioethics.com - March 25th, 2016