In the second episode of Lovecraft Country, "Whitey's on the Moon," the Sons of Adam used Atticus for a magical ritual, but it failed. Here's why.
WARNING: The following contains major spoilers for Lovecraft Country Season 1, Episode 2, "Whitey's on the Moon," which aired Sunday on HBO.
In the series premiere of Lovecraft Country, Atticus "Tic" Freeman returned from war to search for his missing father, Montrose Freeman, with the only clue to his whereabouts being a mysterious letter. This set Tic, his uncle George and his friend Letitia on the road to Ardham, Massachusetts. Along the way, an unseen force protected them fromracist police officers, monstrous creatures known as the Shoggothand other dangers. At the end of the episode, they took refuge at a mansion in Ardham.
Now, in the HBO series' second episode, "Whitey's on the Moon," Atticus learns themansion belongs to the Braithwaite family and the Sons of Adam, a group of men whoare partof an ancient cult known as the Order of the Ancient Dawn. And they need Atticus to achieve their goal.
RELATED:Lovecraft Country Has Already Outdone Stranger Things In One Huge Way
Upon their arrival, Atticus, George and Letitia are welcomed as guests and settle into their respective rooms.However, Tic is quick to notice not all is as it seems. He realizes that they are captives, not guests, and that their hosts are wizards with nefarious goals. In truth, the Braithwaite family kidnapped Tic's father and sent him a letter to lure him to them because the Sons of Adam's leader, Samuel Braithwaite, has a very specific use for Atticus. It turns out Atticus is the last descendant of their ancestor, Titus Braithwaite, and Samuel intends to use him to perform an ancient ritual that will open a portal to the Garden of Eden, a place where he will be able to achieve immortality.
Come night, the Sons of Adam coerce Atticus into willingly participating in the ritual: he's given a ring that indicates he's a member of the Order, and he's taken to a room where the Sons of Adam are waiting for him in ceremonial robes. When the ritual begins, the gate to the Garden of Eden starts opening, and luscious plant lifeemanates from it. For a moment, it truly seems like Samuel will get his wish.
But then, everything goes wrong: a darkness spreads from Atticus' ringand body. It consumes the portal and kills the new life it had just brought forth. The darkness wipes out the portal, and in a blast, it kills all members of the Sons of Adam in proximity. Worse still, it destroys the estate, which caves in. Luckily, Tic is able to get out alive --leaving viewers to wonder just what happened.
RELATED: Lovecraft Country: What Are The Shoggoth, The Series First Monsters?
The ritual seemed like it worked at first, but then it didn't. Some might consider that this is because of Tic's lineage. After all, in this very episode, a conversation between George andMontrose hints that the latter may not actually be Tic's biological father. In fact, George might actually be his blood relative. This could lead to the theory that Tic was not actually a descendant of Titus Braithwaite -- but it's important to remember this genealogy comes from his mother's side of the family, which means his status as a Braithwaite wouldn't be affected by the identity of his father.
No, the most likely reason the ritual didn't go as planned is Christina Braithwaite. The young witch crossed paths with Atticus on multiple occasions in her family's castle, and she made it clear that she was angry at not being able to become a member of the Sons of Adam simply because she was a woman. She resented her father Samuel and the Order's old customs because of it, and it's possible she decided to intervene to prevent them from getting what they wanted.
RELATED:Lovecraft Country: Atticus Reunites With [Spoiler] but at a Great Cost
The darkness that cause the destruction of the portal -- and Braithwaite castle -- seemed to have originated from Atticus' Sons of Adam ring, a trinket that was given to him by Christina. Therefore, since she is a witch, she could have hexed the ring to insure the ritual's failure.
If that is the case, then Christina truly got her revenge for being excluded from the Sons of Adam. We don't have all the answers yet but since Christina was nowhere to be seen when the castle collapsed, it's possible she made it out alive andmight return to continue her family's mission.
Starring Jonathan Majors, Jurnee Smollett, Aunjanue Ellis, Abbey Lee, Jada Harris, Wunmi Mosaku and Michael K. Williams, Lovecraft Country airs Sundays at 9 p.m. ET/PT on HBO.
KEEP READING:Lovecraft Country Features A Surprise Team-Up With A Major John Carter Character
Lovecraft Country: Atticus May Not Be Who We Think He Is
Ian Cardona has written for CBR since 2017. He is a Feature, Comic Breakouts and News writer. He's been in love with comics for a very long time, and believes there is some good to be found even in the industry's more difficult times. His favorite Avenger is Captain America, and that was long before the character starred in a very successful film franchise. He is an avid statue and Funko Pop! figures collector, and he's rapidly running out of shelf space. With CBR, he has been able to write about his favorite subjects, from the MCU to Doctor Who. You can follow him on Twitter at @ian_c1701 (yes, that is a Star Trek reference) for discussions, debates or pictures of really cool collectibles he probably doesn't have room for.
- A Year of Free Comics: Immortality isnt all that it seems in LIVE FOREVER - Comics Beat - August 26th, 2020
- Under Ben Bulben: Neymar And A Saga Of Resurrection And Immortality - World Football Index - August 26th, 2020
- Rick and Morty plot hole: Rick's ride on the Whirly Dirly creates huge immortality blunder - Express - August 26th, 2020
- Sleeps With Monsters: Into the Woods With Emily Tesh and Carrie Vaughn - tor.com - August 26th, 2020
- Emily Dickinson is the unlikely hero of our time - Fairfield Citizen - August 26th, 2020
- Doom Patrol Leaves the Fate of the Whole Team Up in the Air | CBR - CBR - Comic Book Resources - August 26th, 2020
- Parenting in a pandemic? Your teen is counting on you more than ever - Your Valley - August 26th, 2020
- ALLEN IVERSON PAYS TRIBUTE TO KOBE Greatness needs company, and we needed each other. - Basketball Network - August 26th, 2020
- Lord of the Rings: 10 Things That Make No Sense About Orcs - Screen Rant - August 26th, 2020
- Hakuho may be on path to becoming great stablemaster if latest recruit pans out - The Japan Times - August 26th, 2020
- The Unbelievable True Story Of How The Memphis Pyramid Became A Bass Pro Shops - Forbes - August 26th, 2020
- American Horror Story: Every Immortal Character In The Show - Screen Rant - August 20th, 2020
- A look back at the faces of 170 years ago and more - Key West Florida Weekly - August 20th, 2020
- Moussa Dembele and the YouTube obsession that has Celtic icon on verge of Champions League immortality - Daily Record - August 20th, 2020
- Words from the Heart: The Message | Columnists | thesuntimes.com - Heber Springs Sun-Times - August 20th, 2020
- Eagles, the worshipped bird of prey of the ancient civilizations - Egypttoday - August 20th, 2020
- 'Burgh's Best to Wear It, No. 13: From midgets to the NFL, Dan Marino wore lucky number - TribLIVE - August 20th, 2020
- Ashton Kutcher Burned an Original Artwork to Promote a New Blockchain Marketplace Where Art Can (Kind of) Live Forever - artnet News - August 20th, 2020
- Aug. 19, 1951: Before Eddie Gaedel went to the plate, the Post-Dispatch got a heads-up - Houston Herald - August 20th, 2020
- 10 Questions We Have After Watching The Old Guard | ScreenRant - Screen Rant - August 20th, 2020
- Emotional character study 'The Truth' opens at the Ross this Friday - Daily Nebraskan - August 20th, 2020
- Astrology 2020: Message of the Day (August 20) - NewsroomPost - August 20th, 2020
- Why This Russian Billionaire Is Creating A Virtual Reality World For Music Festivals And Concerts - Forbes - August 20th, 2020
- Immortality or Bust - Film Threat - July 21st, 2020
- Keanu Reeves New Comic Book Is About An Immortal, But Its Not Autobiographical - Comic Years - July 21st, 2020
- Here's how you can win over 83 years of free Netflix service - Retail News Asia - July 21st, 2020
- Meryl Streep's Funniest Movie Characters and Their Best Moments - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - July 21st, 2020
- A Conversation With Director Gina Prince-Bythewood : 1A - NPR - July 21st, 2020
- ATEMS graduation allows Class of 2020 to rise from the ashes of a broken year - Abilene Reporter-News - July 21st, 2020
- Looking at nature, death, and immortality with a famous poet - McDonough Voice - July 17th, 2020
- The Old Guard: Why Andy Loses Her Immortality | Screen Rant - Screen Rant - July 17th, 2020
- Netflixs The Old Guard: A revolutionary, ancient gay romance - Vox.com - July 17th, 2020
- Where father, son correspond - Featured - The Island Now - July 17th, 2020
- Rockfield Studios: Where Ozzy, Oasis, Queen and Coldplay took off - BBC News - July 17th, 2020
- American Vampire by Snyder & Albuquerque returns this October with '70s setting and vibe - GamesRadar+ - July 17th, 2020
- The Old Guard ending explained and sequel news - RadioTimes - July 17th, 2020
- Fun, Guns, and Mum: New Stuff to Watch! - Omaha Reader - July 17th, 2020
- Warrior Nun Ending Explained What Happens to Ava and Adriel at the End of Warrior Nun? - Esquire - July 17th, 2020
- The 8 desires of human life and how to fulfill them - Times Now - July 17th, 2020
- Decade's best No. 1: Loyalsock's baseball team won 2013 PIAA Class AA title in one of state's most exciting finals | News, Sports, Jobs - Williamsport... - July 17th, 2020
- The only shame is that Liverpool brilliance will escape history books - Football365.com - July 17th, 2020
- The Old Guard revs up the senses with great action and fascinating story - culturemap.com - July 17th, 2020
- When There is Despair, There Will Be Hate Too. And That's Not a Bad Thing - The Wire - July 17th, 2020
- The Old Guard's New Trailer Dives Into the Painful Side of Immortality - Gizmodo UK - July 6th, 2020
- Charlize Theron in The Old Guard on Netflix: Film Review - Variety - July 6th, 2020
- Doctor Who Theory: How Rassilon Fits Into The Timeless Child Retcon - Screen Rant - July 6th, 2020
- Its Negligence: Young People Hosting Coronavirus Parties, Betting On Who Gets Infected First - CBS Pittsburgh - July 6th, 2020
- Through a Blur of Migratory Birds, Photographer Sankar Sridhar Captures the Rituals of the Yamuna River - Colossal - July 6th, 2020
- Carli Lloyd: I Want Young Players To Be Inspired By My Journey - Forbes - July 6th, 2020
- Altered Carbon Season 3 : Release Date, Cast, Plot And Other News - Auto Freak - July 6th, 2020
- Madhya Pradeshs new cabinet shows that a slow Congressisation of the BJP is happening - ThePrint - July 6th, 2020
- Batman Beyond Just Brought The Future [SPOILER] Back To Life - Screen Rant - July 6th, 2020
- A battle to defend the soul of football: How Spain achieved immortality at the 2010 World Cup - The Independent - June 17th, 2020
- Dream Team missed date with immortality - The Herald - June 17th, 2020
- Virtual U.S. Open: Palmer, Boros and other challengers - Pro Golf Now - June 17th, 2020
- Health benefits of giloy juice and easy kadha recipes - Times of India - June 17th, 2020
- Where do you want Liverpool to win Premier League title and what do you predict will happen? - Liverpool Echo - June 17th, 2020
- Stephen King Has a Friday the 13th Book He Wants to Write About Jason Voorhees - MovieWeb - June 17th, 2020
- Star Wars Just Wiped Darth Plagueis Backstory From Continuity - We Got This Covered - June 17th, 2020
- Bravery in service of the US | Keizertimes | You think you know. To be sure, read Keizertimes. - Keizertimes - June 17th, 2020
- The Afterlife of George Floyd: A Portfolio by Photographer Eli Reed - The Cut - June 17th, 2020
- American Horror Story: Every Character Who Became The Supreme - Screen Rant - June 17th, 2020
- Why is the 2000s the PBA's forgotten decade? - ESPN - June 17th, 2020
- Guardian: The Lonely and Great God Season 2 What Is The Status Of Renewal? And Is It Cancelled? - Pop Culture Times - June 17th, 2020
- Bihar will get nothing from personal attack on me, focus on real issues: Tejashwi tells BJP, Nitish - Outlook India - June 13th, 2020
- Judd Apatow Tells How the Wallflowers One Headlight Came to Illuminate King of Staten Island: Its Personal - Variety - June 13th, 2020
- NOS4A2 Viewing Guide: What You Need to Know Going into Season 2 - Anglophenia - June 13th, 2020
- How racism revealed the fragility of an entire sport - Majorca Daily Bulletin - June 13th, 2020
- Book World: Those who built the bomb, those who used it and those who survived it - Alton Telegraph - June 13th, 2020
- Bahrain king pardons 16 jailed OFWs; 11 deported to PH - UNTV News - UNTV News - June 13th, 2020
- Netflix Said No to Streaming Tommy Wiseau's The Room - MovieWeb - June 13th, 2020
- Dinosaur toys and golf clubs: the strange things astronauts take to the moon - The Guardian - June 13th, 2020
- Copa America: Will 12-month delay enhance Messi and Argentina's chances of glory? - Yahoo! Voices - June 13th, 2020
- 10 Inspirational Quotes by Swami Vivekananda For a Life of Freedom And Tranquility - India.com - June 13th, 2020
- Does Thanos Have Superpowers (WITHOUT Infinity Stones)? - Screen Rant - June 13th, 2020
- Kansas City Chiefs Who Could Be Future Hall of Famers (Part 2) - Chiefs Digest - June 13th, 2020
- The Eternals When Can We Expect It In Theatres? What Leaks Are Coming And What Are New Updates? - Pop Culture Times - June 13th, 2020
- What Does It Mean to Tear Down a Statue? - The New York Times - June 13th, 2020
- Less than zero: how Pointlesss tweaked finale made fools of us all - The Guardian - May 25th, 2020
- Erling Braut Haaland is Robert Lewandowski's heir apparent we have been waiting for - The National - May 25th, 2020