In the second episode of Lovecraft Country, "Whitey's on the Moon," the Sons of Adam used Atticus for a magical ritual, but it failed. Here's why.
WARNING: The following contains major spoilers for Lovecraft Country Season 1, Episode 2, "Whitey's on the Moon," which aired Sunday on HBO.
In the series premiere of Lovecraft Country, Atticus "Tic" Freeman returned from war to search for his missing father, Montrose Freeman, with the only clue to his whereabouts being a mysterious letter. This set Tic, his uncle George and his friend Letitia on the road to Ardham, Massachusetts. Along the way, an unseen force protected them fromracist police officers, monstrous creatures known as the Shoggothand other dangers. At the end of the episode, they took refuge at a mansion in Ardham.
Now, in the HBO series' second episode, "Whitey's on the Moon," Atticus learns themansion belongs to the Braithwaite family and the Sons of Adam, a group of men whoare partof an ancient cult known as the Order of the Ancient Dawn. And they need Atticus to achieve their goal.
RELATED:Lovecraft Country Has Already Outdone Stranger Things In One Huge Way
Upon their arrival, Atticus, George and Letitia are welcomed as guests and settle into their respective rooms.However, Tic is quick to notice not all is as it seems. He realizes that they are captives, not guests, and that their hosts are wizards with nefarious goals. In truth, the Braithwaite family kidnapped Tic's father and sent him a letter to lure him to them because the Sons of Adam's leader, Samuel Braithwaite, has a very specific use for Atticus. It turns out Atticus is the last descendant of their ancestor, Titus Braithwaite, and Samuel intends to use him to perform an ancient ritual that will open a portal to the Garden of Eden, a place where he will be able to achieve immortality.
Come night, the Sons of Adam coerce Atticus into willingly participating in the ritual: he's given a ring that indicates he's a member of the Order, and he's taken to a room where the Sons of Adam are waiting for him in ceremonial robes. When the ritual begins, the gate to the Garden of Eden starts opening, and luscious plant lifeemanates from it. For a moment, it truly seems like Samuel will get his wish.
But then, everything goes wrong: a darkness spreads from Atticus' ringand body. It consumes the portal and kills the new life it had just brought forth. The darkness wipes out the portal, and in a blast, it kills all members of the Sons of Adam in proximity. Worse still, it destroys the estate, which caves in. Luckily, Tic is able to get out alive --leaving viewers to wonder just what happened.
RELATED: Lovecraft Country: What Are The Shoggoth, The Series First Monsters?
The ritual seemed like it worked at first, but then it didn't. Some might consider that this is because of Tic's lineage. After all, in this very episode, a conversation between George andMontrose hints that the latter may not actually be Tic's biological father. In fact, George might actually be his blood relative. This could lead to the theory that Tic was not actually a descendant of Titus Braithwaite -- but it's important to remember this genealogy comes from his mother's side of the family, which means his status as a Braithwaite wouldn't be affected by the identity of his father.
No, the most likely reason the ritual didn't go as planned is Christina Braithwaite. The young witch crossed paths with Atticus on multiple occasions in her family's castle, and she made it clear that she was angry at not being able to become a member of the Sons of Adam simply because she was a woman. She resented her father Samuel and the Order's old customs because of it, and it's possible she decided to intervene to prevent them from getting what they wanted.
RELATED:Lovecraft Country: Atticus Reunites With [Spoiler] but at a Great Cost
The darkness that cause the destruction of the portal -- and Braithwaite castle -- seemed to have originated from Atticus' Sons of Adam ring, a trinket that was given to him by Christina. Therefore, since she is a witch, she could have hexed the ring to insure the ritual's failure.
If that is the case, then Christina truly got her revenge for being excluded from the Sons of Adam. We don't have all the answers yet but since Christina was nowhere to be seen when the castle collapsed, it's possible she made it out alive andmight return to continue her family's mission.
Starring Jonathan Majors, Jurnee Smollett, Aunjanue Ellis, Abbey Lee, Jada Harris, Wunmi Mosaku and Michael K. Williams, Lovecraft Country airs Sundays at 9 p.m. ET/PT on HBO.
KEEP READING:Lovecraft Country Features A Surprise Team-Up With A Major John Carter Character
Lovecraft Country: Atticus May Not Be Who We Think He Is
Ian Cardona has written for CBR since 2017. He is a Feature, Comic Breakouts and News writer. He's been in love with comics for a very long time, and believes there is some good to be found even in the industry's more difficult times. His favorite Avenger is Captain America, and that was long before the character starred in a very successful film franchise. He is an avid statue and Funko Pop! figures collector, and he's rapidly running out of shelf space. With CBR, he has been able to write about his favorite subjects, from the MCU to Doctor Who. You can follow him on Twitter at @ian_c1701 (yes, that is a Star Trek reference) for discussions, debates or pictures of really cool collectibles he probably doesn't have room for.
- At the Tokyo Olympics, Thomas Gilmans chase for wrestling immortality continues - Hawk Central - August 4th, 2021
- Immortality or spaghetti? Why parking your spaceship inside a black hole is a huge gamble - The Next Web - August 4th, 2021
- The Immortal Trailer and Poster Revealed by HBO Max - VitalThrills.com - July 16th, 2021
- Psychonauts 2 Will Have An Immortality Option - Attack of the Fanboy - July 16th, 2021
- Nike Recalls The First Time Giannis Antetokounmpo Had A Smoothie With Latest Release - Sneaker News - July 16th, 2021
- 'He would do anything for this game': How Bud Black quietly reached baseball immortality - The Athletic - July 16th, 2021
- Novak Djokovic wins 20th grand slam title at Wimbledon on the road to tennis immortality - The New Daily - July 16th, 2021
- Book Notes: In search of Proust, finding Ruskin, poets, poems and art - theday.com - July 16th, 2021
- Hanford Gourmet: The Eight Immortals live up to the name - Hanford Sentinel - July 16th, 2021
- 'Success breeds success.' Ohio is on a post-pandemic winning streak - Buckeye Institute - July 16th, 2021
- England seal emphatic Ukraine win at Euro 2020 and stand two games away from immortality - The Mirror - July 5th, 2021
- Netflix's The Old Guard Sequel Is Confirmed to Start Filming 2022 - The Mary Sue - July 5th, 2021
- The old Guard 2: Synopsis, Cast, Release Date, and Everything - LeeDaily.com - The Lee Daily Register - July 5th, 2021
- NHL to Engrave Fan Tweets at Hockey Hall of Fame in Toronto - iPhone in Canada - June 28th, 2021
- [Interview] Sam Barlow Talks Movie Mystery Game 'Immortality', 'Inland Empire' Inspiration, and the Spiritual Successor to His 'Silent Hill' Game -... - June 24th, 2021
- Nike Giannis Immortality Revealed In Aqua And Crimson As The Greek Freaks Title Run Continues - Sneaker News - June 24th, 2021
- Jurgen Klopp in tears, a new Liverpool anthem and the night immortality beckoned - Liverpool Echo - June 24th, 2021
- 'Fast' franchise soars to new heights in 'F9: The Fast Saga' while also looking to the past - The Spokesman-Review - June 24th, 2021
- THE OLD GUARD: TALES THROUGH TIME #3: Unexpected Family and Moon Landings - Comic Watch - June 24th, 2021
- Lobsters, jellyfish, and the foolish quest for immortality - Big Think - June 20th, 2021
- Can We Really Become Immortals? Voice of Biotecnika - BioTecNika - June 20th, 2021
- Ageing process is unstoppable, finds unprecedented study - The Guardian - June 20th, 2021
- SHARUKO ON SATURDAY : In that moment, Yogis legacy, was sealed - The Herald - June 20th, 2021
- 'IMMORTALITY' from Sam Barlow (Her Story, Telling Lies) Is an FMV Adventure Set to Release in 2022 on PC and More - Touch Arcade - June 15th, 2021
- Her Story and Telling Lies creator reveals new game Immortality - Pocket Gamer - June 15th, 2021
- Hazard, Vertonghen and a stunning Belgium generation running out of time - Football365 - June 15th, 2021
- Whispers of Immortality by T. S. Eliot | Poetry Foundation - June 6th, 2021
- Wordsworths Poetry: Ode: Intimations of Immortality ... - June 6th, 2021
- Why didnt the Eternals help fight Thanos? - The Daily Dot - May 24th, 2021
- Henry Cavill in talks to star in Highlander reboot - WION - May 22nd, 2021
- $100 Disneyland sandwich ranks as one of the worlds most expensive - East Bay Times - May 22nd, 2021
- Josh Taylor eyeing boxing immortality in undisputed Las Vegas clash with Jose Ramirez - Mirror Online - May 20th, 2021
- Josh Taylor expects nastiness towards Jose Ramirez ahead of chance at immortality - The Independent - May 20th, 2021
- Kobe Bryant enters the Hall of Fame on Saturday. Heres how he achieved basketball immortality. | Mike Sielski - The Philadelphia Inquirer - May 20th, 2021
- INTERVIEW: Ram V and Filipe Andrade on Deaths rude awakening in THE MANY DEATHS OF LAILA STARR - Comics Beat - May 20th, 2021
- Legendary Comics announces YA imprint - MP3s and NPCs - May 20th, 2021
- William Urban: The perils of publishing - Monmouth Daily Review Atlas - May 20th, 2021
- The anomaly of Jon Bois's '17776' - The Michigan Daily - May 20th, 2021
- Guide to the classics: Shakespeares sonnets an honest account of love and a surprising portal to the man himself - The Conversation AU - May 20th, 2021
- The Nike Giannis Immortality Set To Release In An Essential Black And Volt - Sneaker News - May 9th, 2021
- Michael Schenker on creativity, immortality, and why hell never make peace with Rudolf - Louder - May 9th, 2021
- For Swedish filmmaker Roy Andersson, there is immortality in art - Yahoo News - May 9th, 2021
- Shadow and Bone Recap: Now Kiss - Vulture - April 29th, 2021
- Misinformation will prevail | Opinion | dailyitem.com - Sunbury Daily Item - April 29th, 2021
- TFT Set 5 Reckoning Shadow items: Updated stats and best-in-slot - Dot Esports - April 29th, 2021
- Dying for immortality, this artist wants you to dispose of her body - Sydney Morning Herald - April 23rd, 2021
- Opening the Gate to Immortality: 25 years of Satyricon's Nemesis Divina - Invisible Oranges - April 23rd, 2021
- How (not) to be a god The Bowdoin Orient - The Bowdoin Orient - April 23rd, 2021
- The X-Men Are Losing Their Soul, and Nightcrawler Wants to Find It - Gizmodo - April 23rd, 2021
- Artificial Hearts: Could They Be the Key to Immortality? - Interesting Engineering - April 21st, 2021
- New study sheds light on the interplay between belief in an afterlife and secular-symbolic avenues to immortality - PsyPost - April 21st, 2021
- Messages of Faith: Resurrection is the answer for immortality - Daily Record-News - April 17th, 2021
- Exploring immortality and the value of life - Bangkok Post - Bangkok Post - April 17th, 2021
- Overwatch players are furious at the worst Experimental patch yet - Dexerto - April 17th, 2021
- 'Tina': The Ultimate Thesis of Why She Deserves Rock Hall Immortality - wmgk.com - March 31st, 2021
- Three top contenders in the fray for Indian Derby - The Hindu - March 31st, 2021
- Immortal Jellyfish, Radiated Tortoise, and More: 11 Ancient Animals Older Than Every Human on Earth - Nature World News - March 31st, 2021
- Keanu Reeves' BRZRKR Can Show Why He'd Be The Perfect MCU Wolverine - Screen Rant - March 31st, 2021
- Daily Recco, March 17: The People in the Trees, battling immortality and immorality - DailyO - March 21st, 2021
- Hulk Crushes the Avengers in Jaw-Dropping New Alex Ross Cover Art - Screen Rant - March 21st, 2021
- Unheard-of//Ensemble probes inner space in Messiaen's Quartet and new works - South Florida Classical Review - March 21st, 2021
- Katrick: The color green and its many meanings - The Newark Advocate - March 21st, 2021
- 10 Comic Book Superpowers That Are Highly Overrated | CBR - CBR - March 21st, 2021
- Millennials on Exhibit at the Russian Museum - The Moscow Times - March 21st, 2021
- Star Wars: How the Great Sith War Changed the Galaxy | CBR - CBR - Comic Book Resources - March 21st, 2021
- Wonder Woman: 10 Facts About The Amazons You Need To Know | CBR - CBR - Comic Book Resources - February 22nd, 2021
- How to achieve immortality and have a food named after you - The Takeout - February 21st, 2021
- How rejecting Inter and Lyon set Andre-Pierre Gignac on his way to Tigres immortality - Squawka - February 10th, 2021
- Marvel Confirms Thanos Can't Be Killed, But Not For The Reason You Think - Screen Rant - February 10th, 2021
- Why Bayern Munich's opponents, Tigres, are taking the Club World Cup seriously, even if Europe is not - DW (English) - February 10th, 2021
- 'The Bitter Comes With The Sweet': Without Death, There Is No Life - WBUR - February 10th, 2021
- Disney Pixar's Soul: how the moviemakers took Plato's view of existence and added a modern twist - The Conversation UK - February 10th, 2021
- Life after death: Woman 'engulfed by light and God' in afterlife vision - Daily Express - February 10th, 2021
- Charles Woodson's Words Prove Just How Special The Hall Of Fame Is - Wolverine Maven - February 10th, 2021
- Cicely, Cloris, and two paths to Hollywood immortality - The Boston Globe - February 2nd, 2021
- Regular Exercise and Lifting Weights Might Be the Key to Immortality - The Great Courses Daily News - February 2nd, 2021
- Roblox CEO Dave Baszucki believes users will create the metaverse - VentureBeat - January 29th, 2021
- Does Matthew Die in 'A Discovery of Witches'? The Vampire's Fate Revealed! - Distractify - January 29th, 2021
- Cyberpunk 2077's Development Was Shorter Than Anyone Realized - CBR - Comic Book Resources - January 19th, 2021
- How Star Wars Could Bring Back A Weapon More Powerful Than The Darksaber - Screen Rant - January 19th, 2021