Nantong, January 13
A towering bronze sculpture of the God of Longevity watches over the city of Rugao in east Chinas Nantong, which is home to an astounding over 1,200 centenarians.
The imposing statue which stands in the garden of longevity is said to artistically depict Chinese deity Shouxing, a bearded old man with a high brow, carrying a crooked staff in one hand, and holding the peach of immortality in his other hand.
The local government prides itself on the large count of people, aged over 100 years, living in Nantong - a port city, attributing it also to healthy habits, fresh air and beauty of nature, blessed by the Yangtze, the mother river of China.
According to senior officials in the Nantong administration, the prefecture-level city, located about 120-kilometer from Shanghai, had 1,205 centenarians till November last year.
Perhaps, the most famous region in east China for being the abode of centenarians is Rugao, a county-level city in Nantong in Jiangsu province.
The number of centenarians in Rugao had reached 524 by January 1, an increase of 84 over the previous year, according to a recent report by the state-run China Daily, quoting the local civil affairs bureau.
The report published on Nantong administrations website also said that there were 16 centenarians aged 105 or above.
Rugao currently has a permanent population of 1.42 million, with 3,91,700 aged 60 and above, 65,200 aged 80 and above, and 9,200 aged 90 and above.
These numbers are much higher than the provincial and national averages, it said.
Yang Deying, 110, is the oldest centenarian in Rugao.
She enjoys her life now with his family and spends time with her great-grand son too. The whole family is having a very wonder life, according to an official at the China Daily.
Yang can still hear, see things, this is an ideal life of someone whose age is more than 100 years. One of her sons, and a daughter-in-law take care of her every day. She has other children too, the official said.
The state-run English daily in partnership with the Jiangsu local government, recently organised a visit to the province for 15 journalists from several countries, who had also visited elderly care centres in Nantong and two other cities.
In a community park in the heart of Nantong in Hongqiao subdistrict, old men can be seen practising Tai Chi (shadow boxing) or reading newspapers, while old women in group perform dance routines inside the elderly-care service centre, neighbouring it.
The subdistrict in Chongchuan district has 35,000 families living with a population of around 100,000, according to officials.
Nearly 18,000 old people live in this area. Through our elderly-care centre, we provide food and other needed services to a section of those people. Medical services are also available at the centre, besides recreational facilities to make them feel engaged. Many volunteers also visit disabled elderly at home to take care of them, a senior official said.
Many of their children are working, so these old people come here and interact with each other, eat food and play games to keep themselves fit and occupied, he said.
Healthy diet and sleeping habits, as well as a convivial environment, are believed to have contributed to longevity in Rugao, earning it the moniker of city of longevity.
We want our Nantong to be a world-class city. Work going on expanding the urban infrastructure and a new bridge being built to connect faster to Shanghai. But, Nantong is also a city having fresh air and the blessing of mother river Yangtze, so many people live for over 100 years, a senior official of Nantong administration said.
The historic city of Nantong is home to several old Chinese gardens, Langshan Mountain National Forest Park, and various architectural heritage.
Located on the confluence of Yangtze River, Yellow Sea and East China Sea, the convergence lends Nantong the sobriquet of Great Pearl from Yangtze River and Sea.
In this salubrious environment, it is not uncommon in Rugao to see several centenarian couples celebrating golden jubilee of their wedding anniversaries, grandparents celebrating birthdays after crossing 100-year mark.
China has witnessed a rise in peoples average life expectancy over the years, from 74.83 years in 2010 to 76.7 years in 2017, according to the National Health Commission.
The average life expectancy for Chinese will go up to 77 years by 2020, one year more than the figure in 2015, the health authorities in Beijing had earlier said.
Chinese view long life as a special blessing and on birthdays and other special occasions for elders, visitors bow before the statue of the God of Longevity, to seek blessings, locals said.
Nantong was named the first longevity capital of the world by the International Society of Natural Medicine and the World Longlife Township Accreditation Committee, according to a 2019 Chinese government publication on the city. PTI
- The Weekly Round-Up #558 With Alienated #5, Empyre #5, Undone By Blood Or The Shadow Of A Wanted Man #5 & More Plus The Week In Music! - Inside... - August 19th, 2020
- How Old Is Andy in The Old Guard? - Charlize Theron Character Age - Men's Health - July 15th, 2020
- Improving immunity with Ayurveda: 5 herbs to help your body fight diseases - Times Now - July 15th, 2020
- AgeX Therapeutics and Pluristyx Announce Manufacturing, Marketing, and Distribution Agreement to Expand Access to Clinical-Grade Human Pluripotent... - June 17th, 2020
- Avoid eating these artificial preservatives whenever possible - Yahoo Lifestyle - June 17th, 2020
- Young Blood and Old Blood | In the Pipeline - Science Magazine - June 13th, 2020
- BLM's anti-Semitism must be addressed - San Diego Jewish World - June 13th, 2020
- Writing History on the Banks of Spoon River - Patheos - June 13th, 2020
- These are the Winners of the 2020 Sony World Photography Awards - PetaPixel - June 13th, 2020
- Ramdesivir, hailed as cure for COVID-19: is history repeating itself? - National Herald - May 14th, 2020
- COVID-19: Ministry of Ayush starts clinical trials for Ashwagandha and 4 other Ayurvedic herbs for coronavirus treatment; Here is what you need to... - May 14th, 2020
- A Wafer-Thin Practice | Hans Boersma - First Things - May 14th, 2020
- Promising technologies that will change cancer testing in India - Express Healthcare - April 21st, 2020
- The Medicine of Immortality | Eucharist :: Evangelization ... - April 11th, 2020
- William Wordsworth was the supreme bard of nature and solitude - The Economist - April 9th, 2020
- 5 Ways Scientists Hope to Achieve Immortality for Humanity - March 31st, 2020
- Medicine of Immortality | Dominicana - March 31st, 2020
- Scientists Claim We Might Be Immortal in 17 Years This ... - March 31st, 2020
- The Medicine of Immortality - Spectrum - March 31st, 2020
- St. Ignatius of Antioch and the Medicine of Immortality ... - March 31st, 2020
- India has played a vital role in the fight against coronavirus - WION - March 31st, 2020
- Celebrating International Women's Day in the industry - The Shout - March 12th, 2020
- The science of senolytics: breakthroughs in the future of ageing - Health Europa - January 27th, 2020
- Taking Sermon Notes Why Jesus Called a Man a Fool- Listening to and Learning from the Reverend Doctor King (4/7) - Patheos - January 27th, 2020
- Adrienne Martini Reviews The History of Living Forever by Jake Wolff - Locus Online - December 13th, 2019
- Boy, 9, to move to U.S. university after conflict with TU Eindhoven, father says - NL Times - December 13th, 2019
- The Story Of The Quickening: Mercurial Metal - Hackaday - December 13th, 2019
- Breakthrough discovery in plants' DNA may lead to slowing aging process in humans - CNN - November 23rd, 2019
- Missing Link To Longevity Discovered In The Plant Kingdom - Texas A&M University - November 23rd, 2019
- Study Finds Over 55 Million Deaths Could Be Prevented Annually By Some Sort Of Immortality Serum - The Onion - October 12th, 2019
- Whats the mark of a real friend? - Aleteia EN - October 12th, 2019
- Raising the Dead: Ketch Secor Talks Old Crow Medicine Show's Live at The Ryman, Ken Burns' 'Country Music' and Playing with Bob Weir - jambands.com - October 7th, 2019
- FMA: The Top 10 Symbols and Logos, Explained | CBR - CBR - Comic Book Resources - October 7th, 2019
- Why Are Some Americans Paying $8000 For A Shot Of Teenage Blood? - IFLScience - August 25th, 2017
- Immortality Medicine Part 8456 | Prometheism.net - August 22nd, 2017
- Seeking A Glimpse Of Immortality In The Waters Of India's ... - August 22nd, 2017
- How to live forever - TechRadar - August 20th, 2017
- When thoughts often turn to death - The Economist - August 20th, 2017
- Two-step process leads to cell immortalization and cancer - Medical Xpress - August 18th, 2017
- Time Travel for Beginners - National Catholic Register (blog) - August 18th, 2017
- Surprising benefits of aloe vera - WOTV4women.com - August 18th, 2017
- Researchers discover potential cancer treatment breakthrough - Medical Xpress - August 13th, 2017
- Digital Immortality, The Future of Memory, and Sci-Fi Utopias: An Interview With Dr. Phil Frana - Outer Places - August 9th, 2017
- THE NEW CLASSICS | 'The Fountain' - artsBHAM - August 8th, 2017
- The Elixir of Immortality May Reside Deep Within Our Brains - ExtremeTech - August 3rd, 2017
- Scientists Make Old Cells Young Again Using Groundbreaking New Technique - IFLScience - August 1st, 2017
- Science says it might actually be possible to live forever - The Loop (blog) - August 1st, 2017
- Letters to the Editor - July 30 - Herald-Mail Media - July 30th, 2017
- Websites launched to help people live forever through social media - NEWS.com.au - July 21st, 2017
- Aspen Times Weekly: How Long Do You Want to Live? - Aspen Times - July 20th, 2017
- A Son's Race to Give His Dying Father Artificial Immortality - WIRED - July 19th, 2017
- WELLBEING: Seven reasons to fall in love with aloe vera this summer - NW Evening Mail - July 19th, 2017
- We Will Extend Our Lives but Not Attain Immortality, Says Anti-Aging Researcher - Futurism - July 18th, 2017
- 'Miracle plant' aloe vera is versatile and powerful | Irish Examiner - Irish Examiner - July 14th, 2017
- THe Secret To A Longer Life - Midweek - July 12th, 2017
- On The Eucharist: Part One - Patheos (blog) - July 10th, 2017
- This Study Could Help Extend the Human Lifespan - Futurism - July 8th, 2017
- Billionaires dream of immortality. The rest of us worry about healthcare - The Guardian - July 5th, 2017
- There's No Upper Limit to Human Lifespan, Argue Scientists - Inverse - July 4th, 2017
- Living to 125 and beyond: Scientists dispute there's a limit to our lifespans - kfor.com - July 3rd, 2017
- Living to 125 and beyond: Scientists dispute there's a limit to - KMOV.com - KMOV.com - July 2nd, 2017
- Forget the Blood of Teens. This Pill Promises to Extend Life for a Nickel a Pop. - WIRED - July 1st, 2017
- You Can Live Forever, No Maximum Age-Limit Found - Doctor NDTV - June 30th, 2017
- How doctors get sucked into inappropriate care - 6minutes - June 29th, 2017
- Why the super-rich are ploughing billions into the booming 'immortality industry' - Evening Standard - June 29th, 2017
- Exhibits examine 15th- and 16th-century ideas in Harry Potter ... - The Spokesman-Review - June 29th, 2017
- Nature and human nature intersect in a crowdsourced exhibition - New Scientist - June 29th, 2017
- Seven 'ideal' goals to maintain healthy heart - Gulf Times - Gulf Times - June 28th, 2017
- Hitting cardiovascular health targets can help elderly live longer - Reuters - June 28th, 2017
- Times of Malta The seven ideal cardiovascular health goals ... - Times of Malta - June 26th, 2017
- Black, Gwendolyn - The Daily Progress - June 25th, 2017
- Hitting cardiovascular health targets can help elderly live longer ... - KFGO - June 24th, 2017
- Trees, Science and the Goodness of Green Space - Truth-Out - June 24th, 2017
- Lazarus. A Fringe Peek - DC Theatre Scene - June 22nd, 2017
- Toward Immortality: The Social Burden of Longer Lives - June 19th, 2017
- 'Immortality mushroom' discovered in mountains of western Turkey's anakkale - Daily Sabah - June 19th, 2017
- Israeli Researchers Find Male-Only Longevity Gene MutationThe ... - The Jewish Press - JewishPress.com - June 19th, 2017
- The Ethical Dilemmas of Immortality - June 18th, 2017
- Study: Daily Dose of THC Can Reverse Aging of Brain - Green Rush Daily - June 16th, 2017
- John Robson: A radical future isn't just coming. It's arriving, now, and perhaps we should give some thought to it? - National Post - June 15th, 2017