Last Call A prime-time read of whats going down in Florida politics.
The Senate Appropriations Committee approved the bill implementing the new Seminole Compact, teeing it up for a floor vote as soon as Tuesday.
Senators were largely amenable to SB 2A, the chambers main piece of legislation for the Special Session on gaming. St. Petersburg Republican Sen. Jeff Brandes was the only lawmaker to vote against the bill as it cleared the committee on an 18-1 vote.
The Senates fast pace indicates the Special Session will be a short one.
Assuming the bill passes the chamber on Tuesday, senators will stick around for the House to give it the OK on Wednesday before turning the lights off and heading home.
Day 1 wasnt without drama, however.
Minutes after House Speaker Chris Sprowls gaveled in the Special Session, he announced that online casino gaming was off the table.
Some language in the Compact could be construed to lead to the backdoor expansion of online gaming, Sprowls said. Even the mere possibility of this was unacceptable, and therefore Chairman (Paul) Renner, Chairman (Randy) Fine, and I engaged directly with the Seminole Tribe on this issue.
The online gaming provision required the state and Tribe to enter good faith negotiations on allowing online casino games within the next three years.
Removing the provision brought some reticent lawmakers back into the yea column, which will likely keep the Legislature on track for a Wednesday afternoon Sine Die.
Conservative journalist Christina Pushaw will take over as Gov. Ron DeSantis press secretary.
Pushaw has worked as a freelance journalist with articles running in conservative outlets such as The National Interest and Human Events. She also has a background in public policy and international political communication.
However, what likely caught the eye of the DeSantis administration were her rebuttals to Rebekah Jones allegations that the state Department of Health, at the administrations request, was misrepresented coronavirus infections and deaths.
Former DeSantis communications director Helen Aguirre Ferr said Pushaw comfortably stands up to would-be cyberbullies and those that regularly defame and lie. As such, she is a natural fit to work in Gov. DeSantis communications shop as he continues to lead Florida safely and successfully through the challenges brought upon our state and nation as a result of a global pandemic.
Pushaw is a graduate of the University of Southern California, where she earned a bachelors degree in history, and Johns Hopkins University, where she earned a masters degree in international relations and economics.
2,251,148 FL residents (+1,938 since Sunday)
42,832 Non-FL residents (+38 since Sunday)
18,086 Travel related
902,618 Contact with a confirmed case
1,305,967 Under investigation
93,148 in FL
36,857 in FL
16,514,520 Doses administered
9,608,397 Total people vaccinated
2,012,175 First dose
690,099 Completed one-dose series (+6,879 since Sunday)
6,906,123 Completed two-dose series (+34,528 since Sunday)
Joel Greenberg pleads guilty in federal court after striking cooperation deal via Martin E. Comas of the Orlando Sentinel
Democrats confront reality on voting rights: Congress probably isnt coming to the rescue via Mike DeBonis of The Washington Post
How the Republican push to restrict voting could affect our elections via Geoffrey Skelley of FiveThirtyEight
Supreme Court to hear abortion case challenging Roe v. Wade via Adam Liptak of The New York Times
Endorsement? Rick Scott says Ron DeSantis will continue to lead the party into 2022 via A.G. Gancarski of Florida Politics
Florida lawmakers consider gambling pact with Seminole Tribe via Brendan Farrington and Bobby Caina Calvan of The Associated Press
DeSantis staff lobbies lawmakers ahead of Special Session on gaming via Haley Brown of Florida Politics
House enlists gaming expert to help lawmakers navigate Seminole Tribe Compact via Jason Delgado of Florida Politics
Senate panel OKs Gaming Compact via Renzo Downey of Florida Politics
Tribe tries to ease concerns about gambling deal via Dara Kam of News Service of Florida
House Republicans demand last-minute change to gambling deal with Seminoles via Gary Fineout of POLITICO
As FL considers casino expansion, advocates want to protect against problem gambling via Issac Morgan of the Florida Phoenix
Prospect of online casino gaming axed from Seminole Tribe Compact via Jason Delgado of Florida Politics
Online poker dropped from Florida gambling deal via Skyler Swisher of the Orlando Sentinel
Houses fantasy sports bill could block weekend leagues via Drew Wilson of Florida Politics
Jeb Bush speaks out against new casino gambling measures via Ryan Nicol of Florida Politics
Chris Latvala talks Special Session gamblinglegislation via Kelly Hayes of Florida Politics
Dan Daley pushes to preserve Standardbred horse racing as Special Sessionbegins via Ryan Nicol of Florida Politics
Dont overlook Democrats hard-fought wins for everyday Floridians this Session via Lauren Book for the Tallahassee Democrat
Lawsuit alleges massive cover-up, lies in Hialeah police chase and killing of motorist via David Ovalle of the Miami Herald
Quote of the Day
Are you pleading guilty to these charges because you are guilty? United States Magistrate Judge Leslie Hoffman.
Yes. Joel Greenberg, pleading guilty to sex trafficking of a child and other crimes.
Bill Days Latest
Post Views: 449
- Fauci: Paul doesn't know what he's talking about | TheHill - The Hill - July 27th, 2021
- Should the US return to the gold standard? No - The Daily World - July 27th, 2021
- Should the US Return to the Gold Standard? InsideSources - InsideSources - July 27th, 2021
- TEXAS Thumbs: Texas Dems in disarray and Houston gets snubbed HOUSTON CHRONICLE - Houston Chronicle - July 27th, 2021
- VAERS reports may initiate investigations into potential associations between a vaccine and adverse events, but on their own cannot prove causality -... - July 27th, 2021
- Selected Quotes And Seven Lessons From The Hard Money Mini-Documentary - bitcoinist.com - July 27th, 2021
- POLITICO Playbook: Is McCarthy prepared for Trump's wrath about the Jan. 6 committee? - POLITICO - Politico - July 27th, 2021
- 'Wet Hot American Summer' cast 20 years later: Where are they now? - Wonderwall - July 27th, 2021
- Sen. Rand Paul wades into Texas governor's race against Gov. Abbott - Houston Chronicle - July 23rd, 2021
- Ron Paul: 'Ed-Exit' To Protect Your Kids From Critical Race Theory OpEd - Eurasia Review - July 23rd, 2021
- Thirty Years After Slacker, the Film Is an Austin Time CapsuleAnd a Hopeful Tribute to Its Spirit - Texas Monthly - July 23rd, 2021
- Cornyn Joins Letter Urging Biden Administration to Abandon the Tax-Hike Proposal on Farmers and Ranchers - Senator John Cornyn - July 23rd, 2021
- Short Redhead Reel Reviews for the week of July 23 - ECM Publishers - July 23rd, 2021
- Letters to the Editor: July 22, 2021 - TCPalm - July 23rd, 2021
- It will be remembered: Trump allies cross him in special election - POLITICO - July 18th, 2021
- Sens. Rick Scott, Ron Johnson and Colleagues on Democrats' Partisan Spending Bill: America Needs to Invest in Infrastructure Without Out-of-Control... - July 18th, 2021
- Lifting the U.S. Embargo Against Cuba Will Create Wealth and Prosperity for Both Countries - Energy & Capital - July 18th, 2021
- Wild and the Expansion Draft: What you need to know - BlueJackets.com - July 18th, 2021
- All-time City Golf champions - The Herald-Times - July 18th, 2021
- Want to Buy a Luxury Watch? Read These 7 Pro Tips First - The Wall Street Journal - July 18th, 2021
- What issues will guide the 2022 election? Check ads from GOP senators - Deseret News - July 18th, 2021
- Sunday's letters: Blame unvaccinated for pandemic, women stand against abortion ban, more - Sarasota Herald-Tribune - July 18th, 2021
- Daye looks back on over 40 years as local banker - Wilkes Journal Patriot - July 14th, 2021
- Golfing with Wynn: Could there be a dynasty forming in the Tuesday Men's League? - St. Albans Messenger - July 14th, 2021
- Sports for the Record: Wednesday, July 14, 2021 | Sports News | tulsaworld.com - Tulsa World - July 14th, 2021
- The Point, July 14, 2021: 'The Bay Is Really Hurting': Red Tide Kills Thousands Of Fish In Tampa Bay - WUFT - July 14th, 2021
- COVID Community Test Sites In Mpls., St. Paul, Bloomington To Close By End Of The Week - CBS Minnesota - June 28th, 2021
- Around the County - Runnels County Register - June 28th, 2021
- Pride Parties, Openings, And More FOMO-inducing Events From The Weekend! - Daily Front Row - June 28th, 2021
- Trump isnt the dictator: Wisconsin GOP inches away from Trump - POLITICO - June 28th, 2021
- Lets run Selective Service up the flagpole and see if anyone salutes - The Boston Globe - June 28th, 2021
- The Life And Career Of Ron Johnson (Complete Story) - Browns Nation - June 28th, 2021
- Rease and Keshequa made winning a habit - pickinsplinters.com - June 28th, 2021
- Ron Paul: Let Bitcoin Compete With the Dollar - Yahoo Finance - June 4th, 2021
- Former congressman Ron Paul: Bitcoin is money and should be taxed the same - Cointelegraph - June 4th, 2021
- Bitcoin 2021 conference: Speaker line-up and what to expect... - The US Sun - June 4th, 2021
- Ron Johnson is still weighing whether to run for a third senate term next year, but says he's 'panicked' for the nation - Milwaukee Journal Sentinel - June 4th, 2021
- Sen. Rick Scott Doubles Down on Call for Congressional Investigation into the Origins of COVID-19 | SENATOR RICK SCOTT - Senator Rick Scott - June 4th, 2021
- Ron Onesti: "Have I told you " - Chicago Daily Herald - June 4th, 2021
- University of Michigan to retain name on Weiser Hall, president says - MLive.com - June 4th, 2021
- Bird Droppings: Arizona Cardinals start OTAs, Kyler Murray leading the way, Cardinals sign new punter, PFFs - Revenge of the Birds - June 4th, 2021
- Will The Bitcoin Miami Conference Be A Catalyst For Recovery? - bitcoinist.com - June 4th, 2021
- Entertainment Leaders Call on Celebrities and Influencers to Stop Spreading Misinformation about Israeli-Palestinian Conflict - PRNewswire - May 18th, 2021
- Election filing week kicks off with a few surprises - The Columbian - May 18th, 2021
- Paul Bettany Answers Every Question We Have About A Knights Tale - Vulture - May 16th, 2021
- Utica man producing film about the history of radio - The Oakland Press - May 16th, 2021
- Gov. DeSantis appoints three to the Southwest Florida Water Management District Governing Board - Florida Politics - May 16th, 2021
- Twin Cities' biggest film fest includes 'Claw,' hits from around the world - Minneapolis Star Tribune - May 16th, 2021
- Max McLaughlin wins first super feature as Tyler Thompson runs out of fuel in Oswego - syracuse.com - May 16th, 2021
- Remember to say thank you before it is too late - The Daily Times - May 16th, 2021
- St. David and Benson win Baseball Championships - All Sports Tucson - May 16th, 2021
- Rand Paul clashes with Fauci over coronavirus origins | TheHill - The Hill - May 14th, 2021
- Twin Cities playwright and critic William Randall Beard dies at 64 - Minneapolis Star Tribune - May 11th, 2021
- Joy calls Tucker Carlson and Ron Johnson are the absolute worst for spreading COVID disinformation - Yahoo News - May 11th, 2021
- The 25 Worst Animated Movies, According to Critics - Newsweek - May 9th, 2021
- St. Paul man who helped burn down Third Precinct sentenced to prison and $12 million restitution - MinnPost - May 9th, 2021
- Willmar Stingers: Gardy set to appear in Willmar - West Central Tribune - May 9th, 2021
- Ron Bumblefoot Thal: Every time I do an acoustic version of something, I realize how beautiful the song is at its core - Guitar World - May 9th, 2021
- God rejoices in the truth | Religion | gettysburgtimes.com - Gettysburg Times - April 25th, 2021
- Do donors have too much influence over universities? - University World News - April 25th, 2021
- Five States Where Republicans Are Trying to Block Marijuana Legalization - CelebStoner - April 25th, 2021
- Here's Brunch, a pop-up, weekend email during the 2021 Legislative Session 4.25.21 - Florida Politics - April 25th, 2021
- Fredrick Brennan Is the Founder of 8chan. Now He Wants to Take It Offline. - Jacobin magazine - April 21st, 2021
- Party Politics: The Politics of Scandal - Houston Public Media - April 19th, 2021
- Ron Price's coaching longevity will be tough to eclipse - Los Angeles Times - April 19th, 2021
- Rekha Basu: I've had a vaccine 'passport' since childhood. What's all the fuss about? - desmoinesregister.com - April 19th, 2021
- How to improve policing in Florida and beyond | Letters - Tampa Bay Times - April 19th, 2021
- Winter's return, threat of new health restrictions tough blows for businesses - Winnipeg Free Press - April 19th, 2021
- Stephen Colbert Goes Off On Ron Paul Wearing 'Daisy Dukes' Shorts In Interview - HuffPost - April 15th, 2021
- Can You Get a 'Vaccine Passport'? And Other Questions, Answered - The New York Times - April 15th, 2021
- The Lessons of the Afghan War - National Review - April 15th, 2021
- Trump's early endorsements reveal GOP rift | TheHill - The Hill - April 15th, 2021
- This Florida Man may lead the GOP out of the wilderness | Column - Tampa Bay Times - April 15th, 2021
- Recent UW grad, an Afghan Kurdish poet, wins $90,000 scholarship for immigrants with exceptional potential - University of Wisconsin-Madison - April 15th, 2021
- Ron Paul: Why Is Biden Administration Pushing Ukraine To Attack Russia? OpEd - Eurasia Review - April 6th, 2021
- Ron Paul Warns of Government Crackdown on Bitcoin 'The Government Is the Threat' Regulation Bitcoin News - Bitcoin News - April 6th, 2021
- "The government is the threat" says Ron Paul on Bitcoin - Techstory - April 6th, 2021
- Ron Paul: The government is the threat against Bitcoin Explica .co - Explica - April 6th, 2021
- Kane Honored With Senate Joint Resolution For His WWE Hall Of Fame Induction - Wrestling Inc. - April 6th, 2021
- MSU inducts Thigpen, Gregory, DuBose into Ron Polk Ring of Honor - The Dispatch - The Commercial Dispatch - April 6th, 2021