An Israeli start-up has successfully cultured lab-grown meat in spacethe first time this has been achieved.
In a proof-of-concept experiment, Aleph Farmin collaboration with partners 3D Bioprinting Solutions, Meal Source Technologies and Finless Foodsproduced the meat aboard the International Space Space Station, which orbits the Earth at an average altitude of about 250 miles.
The latest method, which requires less resources than traditional animal farming,could potentially be used in future to produce food on long space missions, according to the company. They also say that the technique could have important implications for cultivating lab grown meat on Earth.
"In space, we don't have 10,000 or 15,000 liters (3,962 gallons) of water available to produce one kilogram (2.2 pounds) of beef," Didier Toubia, Co-Founder and CEO of Aleph Farms, said in a statement.
"This joint experiment marks a significant first step toward achieving our vision to ensure food security for generations to come, while preserving our natural resources," he said.
To create the cultivated beef steaks, Aleph Farms devised a method which mimics the natural process of tissue regeneration inside a cow's body.
The company harvested cow cells on Earth before launching them to the ISS. In the Russian segment of the space station, astronauts then created small-scale muscle tissue from the cells using a 3D bioprinter in the microgravity conditions.
The company say the experiment demonstrates that this cell cultivation process can generate food using minimal resources.
"This cutting-edge research in some of the most extreme environments imaginable, serves as an essential growth indicator of sustainable food production methods that don't exacerbate land waste, water waste, and pollution," the company said in a statement. "These methods are aimed at feeding the rapidly growing population, predicted to reach 10 billion individuals by 2050."
Recent scientific research has highlighted how traditional animal farming is a significant driver of climate change, and that cutting down on meat and dairy products is one of the best ways for individuals to curb their carbon footprint.
Lab-grown meat has been touted as one potential way to help mitigate the environmental impact of the animal farming industry as demand for meat rises around the world. At the moment no true lab-cultivated meat products are commercially available, however, this situation could change in the next few years as technology improves.
"The mission of providing access to high-quality nutrition anytime, anywhere in a sustainable way is an increasing challenge for all humans," Jonathan Berger, CEO of The Kitchen, said in a statement. "On Earth or up above, we count on innovators like Aleph Farms to take the initiative to provide solutions to some of the world's most pressing problems, such as the climate crisis."
In December 2018, Aleph Farms announced that it had produced the world's first lab-grown steak with a muscle-like texture, although they admitted at the time that the taste needed work.
- The next SpaceX launch will be the company's first with people on board - CNBC - May 18th, 2020
- Timetable for spotting the International Space Station as it passes over the UK and nine-year-old Lottie from Newbury takes her first cosmic... - May 18th, 2020
- International Space Station visible in orbit over the UK until the beginning of June - Newbury Weekly News Group - May 18th, 2020
- Salad could be grown on Mars, scientists say - The Independent - May 18th, 2020
- How and when to see the International Space Station in the sky from where you live - Hillingdon Times - May 18th, 2020
- International Space Station tracker: how to see the ISS fly over Scotland in May - The Scotsman - May 18th, 2020
- MB&F and LEpe 1839's Latest Clock is a Horological Space Station - HYPEBEAST - May 18th, 2020
- space station | Definition, History, & Facts | Britannica - May 8th, 2020
- International Space Station - Wikipedia - May 8th, 2020
- Astronaut offers insights on coronavirus from space station - Community Impact Newspaper - May 8th, 2020
- Tom Cruise Working With NASA To Film Aboard The International Space Station - WLEN-FM - May 8th, 2020
- Digital Space Solution Market to Witness Astonishing Growth With The SpaceStation, SpaceDigital, Mediaspace Solutions, Sajha Media Space, Nine... - May 8th, 2020
- Astronaut Christina Koch on making space history and how to survive isolation - The Verge - May 8th, 2020
- China plans to have space station by 2022 - The Canberra Times - May 6th, 2020
- How long will the 1st astronauts to ride SpaceX's Crew Dragon be in space? No one knows exactly (yet). - Space.com - May 6th, 2020
- China to debut new version of powerful Long March 5 rocket this week - Spaceflight Now - May 4th, 2020
- SpaceX Moon Contract Could Be Worth $7 Billion -- Or Nothing - The Motley Fool - May 4th, 2020
- An astronaut spotted SpaceX's Starlink internet satellites from the International Space Station - CNBC - April 21st, 2020
- Astronauts Return to Earth From International Space Station - EcoWatch - April 21st, 2020
- NASA to launch astronauts to space station from US soil for the first time in a decade - WESTERNMASSNEWS.com - April 21st, 2020
- NASA astronaut, UCSD grad to return to earth from space station - - KUSI - April 21st, 2020
- Amazing shots of International Space Station over Swindon (and here's when you can see it next) - Swindon Advertiser - April 21st, 2020
- UFO Spotted On NASA Live Stream Video Outside The International Space Station Is Absolutely Real - BroBible - April 21st, 2020
- Three amember Space Station Crew Return to Earth - En Tempo.co - April 21st, 2020
- How engineers are operating space missions from their homes - The Verge - April 21st, 2020
- Soyuz launches new crew to the International Space Station - SpaceNews - April 9th, 2020
- Boeing intends to reattempt Starliner test flight to space station - CBS News - April 9th, 2020
- Great stargazing night ahead, when to see the International Space Station pass over Michigan - MLive.com - April 9th, 2020
- How to see the International Space Station in the Colorado Springs area on Tuesday and Wednesday - Colorado Springs Gazette - April 9th, 2020
- China's new crew spacecraft looks like it could dock with the International Space Station - Space.com - March 31st, 2020
- In Photos: The Expedition 62 mission to the International Space Station - Space.com - March 31st, 2020
- Five MIT payloads deployed on the International Space Station - Space Daily - March 31st, 2020
- NASA tasks SpaceX with sending cargo and supplies to future lunar space station - The Verge - March 31st, 2020
- 'I'm in awe': NASA astronaut salutes coronavirus-fighting doctors and nurses from orbit - Space.com - March 31st, 2020
- All traditions are scrapped: Keeping coronavirus off the ISS - Digital Trends - March 31st, 2020
- When you can see the International Space Station flying in the night sky over Somerset this weekend - Somerset Live - March 31st, 2020
- Watch this space, coronavirus weather & penguin-spotting - EURACTIV - March 31st, 2020
- Space holiday, anyone? Space X to send tourists to International Space Station - The Star Online - March 31st, 2020
- US launches advanced satellite in 1st Space Force national security mission - Space.com - March 31st, 2020
- Sunlit Peaks in the Himalayas - NASA - March 31st, 2020
- Need More Space At Home? Try These Astronomy Livestreams - Forbes - March 31st, 2020
- Astronaut tips to survive lockdown: talk, teamwork, treats - Reuters - March 31st, 2020
- G2 Esports defeats Spacestation Gaming to win RLCS NA Regionals - Daily Esports - March 31st, 2020
- While we were stockpiling, here's what astronauts were up to in space last week - CNN - March 26th, 2020
- When you can see the International Space Station flying over Greater Manchester over the next week - Manchester Evening News - March 26th, 2020
- How to see the International Space Station over Nottingham tonight - West Bridgford Wire - March 26th, 2020
- Welcome to the future: 11 ideas that went from science fiction to reality - Space.com - March 26th, 2020
- The Coronavirus Is Starting To Have A Serious Impact On The Space Industry - Forbes - March 26th, 2020
- In space, at sea: tips on isolation from the pros - The Jakarta Post - Jakarta Post - March 26th, 2020
- In space, at sea: Professionals thriving in confinement have some Covid-19 work-from-home tips - Livemint - March 26th, 2020
- Houston-based research organization taps video game makers to advance space medicine - InnovationMap - March 26th, 2020
- UAE students invited to programme heroic space robots - The National - March 26th, 2020
- US government aims for better coordination in space weather campaign - SpaceNews - March 26th, 2020
- Here's how NASA protects astronauts and the International Space Station from coronavirus - CNN - March 24th, 2020
- Suddenly Stuck at Home? After 20 Years at the Space Station, NASA Teaches These 5 Success Behaviors to Stay Positive and Be Productive in Small Spaces... - March 24th, 2020
- Venus, International Space Station spotted from Mount Washington Observatory - The Boston Globe - March 24th, 2020
- The Safest Place to Hide From the Coronavirus: Space? - Newsweek - March 24th, 2020
- I Spent a Year in Space, and I Have Tips on Isolation to Share - The New York Times - March 24th, 2020
- A message from MIT astronauts: Accept the mission and find your motivators - MIT News - March 24th, 2020
- Feast your eyes on these treats in the night sky, with ISS, Venus and the constellations - Gloucestershire Live - March 24th, 2020
- Mir, the first modular space station - The Hindu - March 24th, 2020
- NASA astronaut to head to space station without fanfare - Las Vegas Review-Journal - March 24th, 2020
- Want To Get Away? These Astronauts Talk About Life Off Earth, Dealing With Isolation and Facing Fears - WMFE - March 24th, 2020
- NASA Captures Footage Of UFO On Space Station Live Feed - KFI AM 640 - February 27th, 2020
- Central Florida teen sworn into Army by astronaut on International Space Station - WESH 2 Orlando - February 27th, 2020
- First Ever Future Soldier Swear-In From International Space Station - kjrh.com - February 27th, 2020
- Here's when the International Space Station will be visible in Louisville skies - WLKY Louisville - February 27th, 2020
- China wants to build a new space station. A planned launch in April will set the stage. - Space.com - February 27th, 2020
- Nasa films mystery UFO following the ISS for 20 minutes - Metro.co.uk - February 27th, 2020
- When can I see the Space Station this week? - pennlive.com - February 27th, 2020
- Local second-graders talk to astronaut aboard the International Space Station - WLWT Cincinnati - February 27th, 2020
- East Middle School students talk to astronaut on the International Space Station - Grandblancview - February 27th, 2020
- Environmental Monitoring from the International Space Station - Novus Light Technologies Today - February 27th, 2020
- Cosmic cookies! Astronaut weighs in on the future of baking in space - Space.com - February 27th, 2020
- To the moon and beyond apply online to become a NASA astronaut in the Artemis program - News 5 Cleveland - February 27th, 2020
- Middle Township Army recruits receive oath of office from space - Press of Atlantic City - February 27th, 2020
- The Pentagon Is Working on a Nuclear Thermal Rocket - Popular Mechanics - February 27th, 2020
- Space cookies and the future of pizza pockets beyond Earth - Boing Boing - February 27th, 2020
- Fort Leonard Wood to live stream International Space Station Oath of Enlistment Ceremony - The Rolla Daily News - February 27th, 2020
- The ISS Is Getting An Extension - Which Might Detach And Form Its Own Commercial Space Station - Forbes - January 29th, 2020