Whats the Schwarzenegger line from that action movie? Get to the choppa! No, wait. Hasta la vista, babee. No, wrong again. Oh yeah! Get your [self] to Mars! Thats it! Its now been 27 years (yikes!) since Total Recall thrilled audiences with hints of virtual realities and Mars colonization and rebellion. Now, you can play a part in a dream of Mars with Total Recall: The Official Tabletop Game, launching on Kickstarter today.
A game of bluffing and deduction for 4-8 players for players ages 12 and up. Total Recall is from Brian Henk and Clayton Skancke, who have also paired up to bring you New Salem, Good Cop, Bad Cop, and Leaders of Euphoria: Choose a Better Oppressor. Total Recall plays in 20-40 minutes and pits rebels against feds against Rekall scientists.
I played with a pre-launch print & play version of the game. Im told that, while the art is pretty close, it will change a bit so that the rebels and feds are easier to tall apart. Additionally, I had some spiffy player mats, which might not be part of the standard game. Additionally, there will likely be some upgrades that backers can pony up for: plastic minis instead of the cardboard gun standees, metal bars for Turbinium instead of the plastic gems, and more. Finally, like all pre-launch projects, components and art are subject to change!
That said, heres what youll find inside the box:
The artwork is original. That is, it doesnt feature the likenesses of any of the actors in either the Arnold Schwarzenegger or Colin Farrell versions. Im not going to try to understand the licensing that goes on with something like this, but Im sure its complicated and expensive, so I understand the reasons for original art.
While the standees and plastic gems do the job just fine, Ive seen renders of what the plastic minis and metal bars might look like and they are impressive and fun. In line with that, theres certainly no need for the play mats; the game will play the same without them, but adding them to the table definitely helps with the theme and are worth considering.
Each player gets a gun, a piece of Turbinium, and a Plot card. Character cards are sorted, depending on the number of players in the game, to create a deck. For instance, if playing with 5 players, remove the cards marked 6+, 7+, and 8+. The cards for Cohaagen and Kuato are removed, along enough cards from the deck to equal the total number of players. These are shuffled and dealt out, guaranteeing that no single player might be dealt both leaders. Next, the remaining deck is dealt until all players have exactly three face-down Character cards.
Players review their cards and determine if they are on the Fed team or the Rebel team, whether by simple majority of cards or possession of either leader. Next, players place the cards face-down in front of them. Players may look at their own cards at any time, but not move their positions after they have been placed. Bluffing then begins, trying to convince, persuade, or dissuade others of your true or false alliance. Rebels try to root out the Feds and kill their leader, Feds try to get the Rebels in the same way.
On a players turnplayers have four options for actionsthey may take one of the following:
If youre shot, you must reveal any face-down Character cards and return your gun to your side. If you have a leader, apply a Wounded token on that card. If the leader was already wounded, the game ends immediately. If you dont have a leader, you have woken from your dream about Mars and are now part of the Rekall team. Set all of your Character cards aside. Turn your reference card/player mat to the Rekall side. You get to keep the Turbinium you had, but you must give your Plot cards to the character who shot you. You have a new objective: to take all the Turbinium from the Fed and Rebel players.
Rekall Scientists, on their turns, may:
Play continues until one of four endgame conditions presents itself. If Kuato or Cohaagen receive two wounds, the game ends and the opposite team wins. If all the Turbinium is either in the Supply or in the hands of the Rekall Scientists, Rekall players win. Finally, if a player possesses both Cohaagen and Kuato at the same time, that player wins.
Total Recall was a movie that really captured a lot of imaginations back in the early 90s. It was great for geeks toohere was the worlds biggest action star in a sci-fi movie. What a great time! Total Recall: The Official Tabletop Game goes a long way toward capturing those feelings (without putting an oversized probe up your nose). The theme of unsuspected rebels walking among the devious feds is perfect for designers Henk & Skanckes brand of bluffing and deduction.
We liked Total Recall a lot; its wonderful. The tension at the table is often thick enough that you couldnt cut it with a Sharon Stone scissor kick. As long as cards are hidden, players are overly cautious and deceitful in revealing any information about their affiliations. However, with just three hidden characters, allegiances are soon revealed. One might think this would lead to a quick end game, however, plot cards and the role of the Rekall Scientists can lead to chaos; joyous, exciting, and wonderful chaos.
By swapping out cards of the dreamers (Rebels and Feds), Rekall Scientists can cause players to switch sides multiple times in a round and tip the balance of the majority. It is insane. Plot cards can also cause players to swap cards, divert shots, protect hidden cards, and more. (Note: This project will also include some NSFW cards, which are marked NSFW for language, specifically, lines from the film. The language, in my opinion, isnt overly objectionableno f-bombsbut if you want to play without these cards, it wont affect gameplay.) Having the Rekall Scientists is a great touch because if you get shot early, you are still in the game to the end (a nice improvement over Good Cop, Bad Cop).
However, the game is not without faults. Twice, during an afternoon of play, a leader was exposed on a very early turn and the game was over before the third round ended. Maybe that was just bad luck on our part, but it did feel weird. Another complaint is that the Turbinium is limited and, while the Plot deck is rich with great effects and adds greatly to the theme, I felt like we didnt get to experience enough of them in the game because players need to have Turbinium to play a Plot card. Maybe that was due to the play style of some of our players, a bit more aggressive than the others, but it was within the rules.
Still, Total Recall: The Official Tabletop Game is a really good time. Games move quickly enough that even if you have bad luck, like we did, were on the losing side, or just didnt get to shoot anyone, the next game is just around the corner. Like most bluffing/deduction games, Total Recall works best when played with a larger group. It can be played with a smaller group, but isnt as much fun, in my opinion. In a bigger crowd, theres more interaction, more deceit, more chance that the Rekall Scientists get involved, and its just better.
So get to Mars, jump in a Johnny Cab, start the reactor, back the game, and start having a blast!
I work. I play games. Sometimes I work at playing games.
- Could Astronauts Harvest Nutrients From Their Waste? - Smithsonian - August 25th, 2017
- Ancient Aliens: Did Truman create the Majestic 12 to conceal UFOs? - Hidden Remote - August 22nd, 2017
- Elon Musk signs letter urging UN to protect world from 'Pandora's box' of deadly autonomous weapons - Washington Examiner - August 20th, 2017
- Comparing Reactions of different Groups to Nuclear Thermal Rocket enabled space colonization - Next Big Future - August 10th, 2017
- Elon Musk hints at cutting half the engines from Mars ship - Gears Of Biz - August 5th, 2017
- The Ethics of Mars Exploration: Q&A with Lucianne Walkowicz - Space.com - August 3rd, 2017
- Mars crew sets up shop again on Nunavut's Devon Island - Nunatsiaq News - August 2nd, 2017
- Mars 2030: What It Was Like to Explore the Red Planet in Virtual Reality - Space.com - August 1st, 2017
- human Mars: Mars Colonization Timeline - July 31st, 2017
- Mars colonization - Android Marvel (blog) - July 29th, 2017
- SpaceX's First Mars Rocket Will Launch This November - Fortune - July 29th, 2017
- Portals to New Worlds: Martian Exploration Near the North Pole - News Deeply - July 26th, 2017
- Tell the media bipartisanship's alive and well in DC - Orlando Sentinel - July 26th, 2017
- Elon Musk's Mars rocket may be about to lose half of its engines - Ars Technica - July 25th, 2017
- Buzz Aldrin Says Humans Need To Get Off Earth - The Fresh Toast - July 25th, 2017
- Adam Savage explains why space suits are his happy place - The ... - The Verge - July 24th, 2017
- SpaceX may scrap plans to land Dragon spacecrafts on Mars by end of 2020s - SYFY WIRE (blog) - July 21st, 2017
- Buzz Aldrin: It's Time for Humans to Start Looking at Other Planets to Live On - Futurism - July 19th, 2017
- Six Volunteer 'Astronauts' Are About to Lock Themselves Inside a Simulated Mars Colony - Futurism - July 17th, 2017
- NASA Could Reach Mars Faster with Public-Private Partnerships, Companies Tell Congress - Space.com - July 14th, 2017
- NASA: Understanding Fungi is Necessary to Keep Humans Safe While Exploring Space - Futurism - July 13th, 2017
- The 2016 Spacex Mars Colonization plan has been published ... - July 12th, 2017
- Study Says Life On Mars Will Have Fungus: Can Space Travelers Risk Infection? - International Business Times - July 11th, 2017
- JCB Pioneer: Mars Bringing Realistic Colonization to Steam Early ... - Capsule Computers - July 11th, 2017
- GOOD NEWS FROM SCHOOLS: Students attend STEM camp at Piedmont College - Gwinnettdailypost.com - July 8th, 2017
- Mars surface 'more uninhabitable' than thought: study - Phys.Org - July 8th, 2017
- Now Is the Time to Colonize Mars, Elon Musk Says - July 5th, 2017
- NASA to Test Nuclear Reactor Designed to Power Future Mars Colony - Futurism - July 5th, 2017
- How Living on Mars Could Challenge Colonists (Infographic) - July 5th, 2017
- Child Slaves on Mars? NASA Debunks InfoWars Conspiracy Theory - Patheos (blog) - July 2nd, 2017
- Snake Robots Could Allow Us to Explore the Caverns of Mars - Futurism - June 29th, 2017
- IKEA Designers Make Life on Mars Feel Like Homeand Vice Versa - Crave Online - June 29th, 2017
- Will We Ever Colonize Mars? - space.com - June 28th, 2017
- Why the Secret Mars Colonization? | Almine - June 28th, 2017
- Intersection: Keep Calm And Go To Mars - WMFE - June 28th, 2017
- Valles Marineris landing would leave little room for error - Enid News & Eagle - June 26th, 2017
- E3 2017: Surviving Mars Preview A Casual Colony Sim with a Hidden Mystery - COGconnected - June 24th, 2017
- If We Want To Colonize Mars, First We Need to Study Sex in Space - TrendinTech - June 23rd, 2017
- Elon Musk claims Mars colony dreams critical to avoid 'Doomsday' event - ZDNet - June 19th, 2017
- Sending Humans to Mars: 8 Steps to Red Planet Colonization - June 18th, 2017
- 'Hibernating' Astronauts May Be Key to Mars Colonization - June 18th, 2017
- SpaceX's Elon Musk to Reveal Mars Colonization Ideas This Year - June 18th, 2017
- Meet NASA's Mars robot - Digital Trends - June 18th, 2017
- Elon Musk brings his Mars plan before the scientific community - Engadget - June 16th, 2017
- Human Colonization on Mars: Sex in space remains a major ... - International Business Times, India Edition - June 16th, 2017
- Elon Musk to build a self-sustaining city on Mars - Blasting News - June 15th, 2017
- Sex in Space: The Final Frontier for Mars Colonization? - Space.com - June 14th, 2017
- Eisner Watch 2017: Jessica Abel reveals how TRISH TRASH: ROLLERGIRL OF MARS changed her life - Comics Beat - June 14th, 2017
- IKEA engineers are pretending to live on Mars to help them design better furniture - Popular Science - June 10th, 2017
- Can Humans Live On Mars? Colonist Might Find Planet Deadly For The Immune System - International Business Times - June 8th, 2017
- Autonomous Martian Colony: A Pipe Dream or Future Reality? - Sputnik International - June 1st, 2017
- Will Humans Land On Mars In The Next 50 Years? - Forbes - May 30th, 2017
- Will Humans Land On Mars In The Next 50 Years? - Forbes - Forbes - May 28th, 2017
- Elon will likely reveal more details on his Big Mars Colonization Rocket at IAC 2017 Sept 25-29 2017 - Next Big Future - May 26th, 2017
- 'Alien: Covenant' Cast Calls Space Colonization a Risky Necessity - Space.com - May 22nd, 2017
- Human Side of Mars Missions the Focus of Florida Tech Workshop - Florida Tech Now - May 18th, 2017
- Everything we know about Surviving Mars, the colony-builder from the makers of Tropico - PC Gamer - May 18th, 2017
- How to die on Mars, according to one scientist - Blastr - May 18th, 2017
- Tesla, SpaceX, AI, Mars and more: Is Elon Musk spread too thin? - CBS News - May 17th, 2017
- Why Colonizing Mars Depends on Making Food Taste Better in Space - Thrillist - May 17th, 2017
- Colonies On Mars: How Human Faces Will Evolve On The Red Planet - International Business Times - May 17th, 2017
- Mars or New Mexico? Razor-like vertical rock formations are eerily ... - RT - May 14th, 2017
- 'Surviving Mars' is a city-building sim for science-fiction enthusiasts - Digital Trends - May 13th, 2017
- Buzz Aldrin to NASA: Dump International Space Station; Focus on Mars - Newsmax - May 13th, 2017
- Buzz Aldrin to NASA: Retire the International Space Station ASAP to Reach Mars - Space.com - May 11th, 2017
- UAE's MBRSC Reveals Further Details About Its Mars 2117 ... - SpaceWatch Middle East (press release) (subscription) (blog) - May 11th, 2017
- For All of Elon Musk's Brilliance, He Can't Grasp This Fundamental Concept - thebolditalic - May 9th, 2017
- Radiation-Resistant Mutants at Chernobyl Pave the Way for Life on Mars - Motherboard - May 7th, 2017
- Learning to farm on Mars could actually save agriculture on Earth - Popular Science - May 6th, 2017
- Study: You Can Easily Make Bricks On Mars, And That's A Big Deal - The Libertarian Republic - May 4th, 2017
- 'The First': Hulu Greenlights Mars Series From Beau Willimon | Variety - Variety - May 4th, 2017
- Mars-like soil makes super strong bricks when compressed - Engadget - April 28th, 2017
- NASA Experts Say They Won't Follow Star Trek's 'Prime Directive' When Exploring Other Planets - TrekNews.net - April 27th, 2017
- REVIEW: Mars - Comicmix.com - April 25th, 2017
- NASA Says It Won't Follow the Prime Directive When Exploring Other Planets - Outer Places - April 23rd, 2017
- Mars colony could 3D-print stuff from Red Planet dust - CBS News - April 21st, 2017
- Interplanetary Transport System - Wikipedia - April 19th, 2017
- Are Genetically Modified Astronauts Key To Colonizing Mars? - International Business Times - April 19th, 2017
- This is how we could (really) colonize Mars - Syfy Wire | SyfyWire - Blastr - April 19th, 2017
- A Mars simulation reveals salt makes you hungry, not thirsty - Pulse Headlines - April 19th, 2017