Whats the Schwarzenegger line from that action movie? Get to the choppa! No, wait. Hasta la vista, babee. No, wrong again. Oh yeah! Get your [self] to Mars! Thats it! Its now been 27 years (yikes!) since Total Recall thrilled audiences with hints of virtual realities and Mars colonization and rebellion. Now, you can play a part in a dream of Mars with Total Recall: The Official Tabletop Game, launching on Kickstarter today.
A game of bluffing and deduction for 4-8 players for players ages 12 and up. Total Recall is from Brian Henk and Clayton Skancke, who have also paired up to bring you New Salem, Good Cop, Bad Cop, and Leaders of Euphoria: Choose a Better Oppressor. Total Recall plays in 20-40 minutes and pits rebels against feds against Rekall scientists.
I played with a pre-launch print & play version of the game. Im told that, while the art is pretty close, it will change a bit so that the rebels and feds are easier to tall apart. Additionally, I had some spiffy player mats, which might not be part of the standard game. Additionally, there will likely be some upgrades that backers can pony up for: plastic minis instead of the cardboard gun standees, metal bars for Turbinium instead of the plastic gems, and more. Finally, like all pre-launch projects, components and art are subject to change!
That said, heres what youll find inside the box:
The artwork is original. That is, it doesnt feature the likenesses of any of the actors in either the Arnold Schwarzenegger or Colin Farrell versions. Im not going to try to understand the licensing that goes on with something like this, but Im sure its complicated and expensive, so I understand the reasons for original art.
While the standees and plastic gems do the job just fine, Ive seen renders of what the plastic minis and metal bars might look like and they are impressive and fun. In line with that, theres certainly no need for the play mats; the game will play the same without them, but adding them to the table definitely helps with the theme and are worth considering.
Each player gets a gun, a piece of Turbinium, and a Plot card. Character cards are sorted, depending on the number of players in the game, to create a deck. For instance, if playing with 5 players, remove the cards marked 6+, 7+, and 8+. The cards for Cohaagen and Kuato are removed, along enough cards from the deck to equal the total number of players. These are shuffled and dealt out, guaranteeing that no single player might be dealt both leaders. Next, the remaining deck is dealt until all players have exactly three face-down Character cards.
Players review their cards and determine if they are on the Fed team or the Rebel team, whether by simple majority of cards or possession of either leader. Next, players place the cards face-down in front of them. Players may look at their own cards at any time, but not move their positions after they have been placed. Bluffing then begins, trying to convince, persuade, or dissuade others of your true or false alliance. Rebels try to root out the Feds and kill their leader, Feds try to get the Rebels in the same way.
On a players turnplayers have four options for actionsthey may take one of the following:
If youre shot, you must reveal any face-down Character cards and return your gun to your side. If you have a leader, apply a Wounded token on that card. If the leader was already wounded, the game ends immediately. If you dont have a leader, you have woken from your dream about Mars and are now part of the Rekall team. Set all of your Character cards aside. Turn your reference card/player mat to the Rekall side. You get to keep the Turbinium you had, but you must give your Plot cards to the character who shot you. You have a new objective: to take all the Turbinium from the Fed and Rebel players.
Rekall Scientists, on their turns, may:
Play continues until one of four endgame conditions presents itself. If Kuato or Cohaagen receive two wounds, the game ends and the opposite team wins. If all the Turbinium is either in the Supply or in the hands of the Rekall Scientists, Rekall players win. Finally, if a player possesses both Cohaagen and Kuato at the same time, that player wins.
Total Recall was a movie that really captured a lot of imaginations back in the early 90s. It was great for geeks toohere was the worlds biggest action star in a sci-fi movie. What a great time! Total Recall: The Official Tabletop Game goes a long way toward capturing those feelings (without putting an oversized probe up your nose). The theme of unsuspected rebels walking among the devious feds is perfect for designers Henk & Skanckes brand of bluffing and deduction.
We liked Total Recall a lot; its wonderful. The tension at the table is often thick enough that you couldnt cut it with a Sharon Stone scissor kick. As long as cards are hidden, players are overly cautious and deceitful in revealing any information about their affiliations. However, with just three hidden characters, allegiances are soon revealed. One might think this would lead to a quick end game, however, plot cards and the role of the Rekall Scientists can lead to chaos; joyous, exciting, and wonderful chaos.
By swapping out cards of the dreamers (Rebels and Feds), Rekall Scientists can cause players to switch sides multiple times in a round and tip the balance of the majority. It is insane. Plot cards can also cause players to swap cards, divert shots, protect hidden cards, and more. (Note: This project will also include some NSFW cards, which are marked NSFW for language, specifically, lines from the film. The language, in my opinion, isnt overly objectionableno f-bombsbut if you want to play without these cards, it wont affect gameplay.) Having the Rekall Scientists is a great touch because if you get shot early, you are still in the game to the end (a nice improvement over Good Cop, Bad Cop).
However, the game is not without faults. Twice, during an afternoon of play, a leader was exposed on a very early turn and the game was over before the third round ended. Maybe that was just bad luck on our part, but it did feel weird. Another complaint is that the Turbinium is limited and, while the Plot deck is rich with great effects and adds greatly to the theme, I felt like we didnt get to experience enough of them in the game because players need to have Turbinium to play a Plot card. Maybe that was due to the play style of some of our players, a bit more aggressive than the others, but it was within the rules.
Still, Total Recall: The Official Tabletop Game is a really good time. Games move quickly enough that even if you have bad luck, like we did, were on the losing side, or just didnt get to shoot anyone, the next game is just around the corner. Like most bluffing/deduction games, Total Recall works best when played with a larger group. It can be played with a smaller group, but isnt as much fun, in my opinion. In a bigger crowd, theres more interaction, more deceit, more chance that the Rekall Scientists get involved, and its just better.
So get to Mars, jump in a Johnny Cab, start the reactor, back the game, and start having a blast!
I work. I play games. Sometimes I work at playing games.
Originally posted here:
Kickstarter Alert: Get to Mars With 'Total Recall: The Official Tabletop Game' - GeekDad (blog)
- Elon Musk is still thinking big with SpaceX's Starship Mars-colonizing rocket. Really big. - Space.com - January 18th, 2020
- Local student selected as semifinalist in competition to name Mars 2020 rover - KRDO - January 18th, 2020
- Heres what all the movies set in 2020 predicted this year would be like - Digital Trends - January 18th, 2020
- Amos Is Enough Reason to Finally Watch The Expanse - The Ringer - January 18th, 2020
- The Bezos, Musk and Branson billionaire space race is happening right now - Yahoo Finance Australia - January 18th, 2020
- Being copycats might be key to being human - The Conversation US - January 18th, 2020
- Amazon plots Last Days series, updates Lord of the Rings, Wheel of Time, more - SYFY WIRE - January 18th, 2020
- Video: Should The Government Spend Money On Colonizing Mars? Hear From Everyday People And Visitors In USA | Hollywood Insiders Messages From America ... - January 17th, 2020
- NASA to send a probe to Europa to find alien life by 2040 - The Jerusalem Post - January 17th, 2020
- May the Space Force be With You: New Chief of Space Operations Sworn In - ClearanceJobs - January 17th, 2020
- How Do We Colonize Mars? - Universe Today - January 5th, 2020
- The Decade of Mars: How the 2020s May Be a New Era of Red Planet Exploration - Space.com - January 5th, 2020
- NASA Discovered Easy To Access Water Ice On Mars. Heres Why That Matters - Forbes - December 13th, 2019
- 'The Expanse': Here's a Recap of Seasons 1-3 Ahead of Season 4 on Amazon Prime - Space.com - December 13th, 2019
- Water found on Mars just one inch beneath surface; boost for Red Planet colonization and quest to find alien life - International Business Times,... - December 13th, 2019
- Everything you need to know before The Expanse season 4 - FanSided - December 13th, 2019
- Life In MARS: Human Beings Can Now Thrive In Red Planet's Conditions - The Digital Wise - December 13th, 2019
- Scientists Are Planning a 1,000 Year Trip to Another Planet - Futurism - December 13th, 2019
- The potato: The treasure of the Incas that could save us from the next great famine - AL DIA News - December 13th, 2019
- The Elon Musk 'pedo guy' verdict shows Twitter and the courts don't prioritize the truth - NBC News - December 13th, 2019
- With a Second Life on Amazon, The Expanse Is Soaring - The Ringer - December 13th, 2019
- Does NASA's Plan To Drop Planetary Protection For Parts Of Mars Risk Future Discoveries Of Extraterrestrial Life? - Science 2.0 - November 18th, 2019
- NASA's next mission to look for ancient alien signatures on Mars, Jim Green's prediction turning true? - International Business Times, India Edition - November 18th, 2019
- Will people go to spaceand then colonize it? - Quartz - October 27th, 2019
- Space Agencies and Private Industry Discuss Making a Giant Leap on Collaboration - Space.com - October 24th, 2019
- Gardening in outer space is going to be tough - Treehugger - October 24th, 2019
- NASA may opt for inflatable habitats to house future human missions to Moon, Mars and beyond - Firstpost - October 24th, 2019
- Anime Series Coming to Netflix in 2019 - What's on Netflix - October 24th, 2019
- Signs Of Ancient Life Found Deep Within Europe's Biggest Impact Crater - IFLScience - October 24th, 2019
- NASA chief says the first human on Mars may be a woman - NBC News - October 22nd, 2019
- Surviving the Aftermath, the sequel to Surviving Mars, is out now - PC Gamer - October 22nd, 2019
- At IAC, Pence sets heavy political tone and touts "space force" again - Inverse - October 22nd, 2019
- Why isn't Germany taking over the moon? - DW (English) - October 22nd, 2019
- Video Shows SpaceX Building Another Starship Rocket In Florida - International Business Times - October 22nd, 2019
- Elon Musk Unveils SpaceXs Newest Mars-Colonizing Spacecraft - Observer - October 1st, 2019
- Elon Musk says SpaceX's Mars rocket will be cheaper than he once thought. Here's why - CNN - October 1st, 2019
- Could Astronauts Harvest Nutrients From Their Waste? - Smithsonian - August 25th, 2017
- Ancient Aliens: Did Truman create the Majestic 12 to conceal UFOs? - Hidden Remote - August 22nd, 2017
- Elon Musk signs letter urging UN to protect world from 'Pandora's box' of deadly autonomous weapons - Washington Examiner - August 20th, 2017
- Comparing Reactions of different Groups to Nuclear Thermal Rocket enabled space colonization - Next Big Future - August 10th, 2017
- Elon Musk hints at cutting half the engines from Mars ship - Gears Of Biz - August 5th, 2017
- The Ethics of Mars Exploration: Q&A with Lucianne Walkowicz - Space.com - August 3rd, 2017
- Mars crew sets up shop again on Nunavut's Devon Island - Nunatsiaq News - August 2nd, 2017
- Mars 2030: What It Was Like to Explore the Red Planet in Virtual Reality - Space.com - August 1st, 2017
- human Mars: Mars Colonization Timeline - July 31st, 2017
- Mars colonization - Android Marvel (blog) - July 29th, 2017
- SpaceX's First Mars Rocket Will Launch This November - Fortune - July 29th, 2017
- Portals to New Worlds: Martian Exploration Near the North Pole - News Deeply - July 26th, 2017
- Tell the media bipartisanship's alive and well in DC - Orlando Sentinel - July 26th, 2017
- Elon Musk's Mars rocket may be about to lose half of its engines - Ars Technica - July 25th, 2017
- Buzz Aldrin Says Humans Need To Get Off Earth - The Fresh Toast - July 25th, 2017
- Adam Savage explains why space suits are his happy place - The ... - The Verge - July 24th, 2017
- SpaceX may scrap plans to land Dragon spacecrafts on Mars by end of 2020s - SYFY WIRE (blog) - July 21st, 2017
- Buzz Aldrin: It's Time for Humans to Start Looking at Other Planets to Live On - Futurism - July 19th, 2017
- Six Volunteer 'Astronauts' Are About to Lock Themselves Inside a Simulated Mars Colony - Futurism - July 17th, 2017
- NASA Could Reach Mars Faster with Public-Private Partnerships, Companies Tell Congress - Space.com - July 14th, 2017
- NASA: Understanding Fungi is Necessary to Keep Humans Safe While Exploring Space - Futurism - July 13th, 2017
- The 2016 Spacex Mars Colonization plan has been published ... - July 12th, 2017
- Study Says Life On Mars Will Have Fungus: Can Space Travelers Risk Infection? - International Business Times - July 11th, 2017
- JCB Pioneer: Mars Bringing Realistic Colonization to Steam Early ... - Capsule Computers - July 11th, 2017
- GOOD NEWS FROM SCHOOLS: Students attend STEM camp at Piedmont College - Gwinnettdailypost.com - July 8th, 2017
- Mars surface 'more uninhabitable' than thought: study - Phys.Org - July 8th, 2017
- Now Is the Time to Colonize Mars, Elon Musk Says - July 5th, 2017
- NASA to Test Nuclear Reactor Designed to Power Future Mars Colony - Futurism - July 5th, 2017
- How Living on Mars Could Challenge Colonists (Infographic) - July 5th, 2017
- Child Slaves on Mars? NASA Debunks InfoWars Conspiracy Theory - Patheos (blog) - July 2nd, 2017
- Snake Robots Could Allow Us to Explore the Caverns of Mars - Futurism - June 29th, 2017
- IKEA Designers Make Life on Mars Feel Like Homeand Vice Versa - Crave Online - June 29th, 2017
- Will We Ever Colonize Mars? - space.com - June 28th, 2017
- Why the Secret Mars Colonization? | Almine - June 28th, 2017
- Intersection: Keep Calm And Go To Mars - WMFE - June 28th, 2017
- Valles Marineris landing would leave little room for error - Enid News & Eagle - June 26th, 2017
- E3 2017: Surviving Mars Preview A Casual Colony Sim with a Hidden Mystery - COGconnected - June 24th, 2017
- If We Want To Colonize Mars, First We Need to Study Sex in Space - TrendinTech - June 23rd, 2017
- Elon Musk claims Mars colony dreams critical to avoid 'Doomsday' event - ZDNet - June 19th, 2017
- Sending Humans to Mars: 8 Steps to Red Planet Colonization - June 18th, 2017
- 'Hibernating' Astronauts May Be Key to Mars Colonization - June 18th, 2017
- SpaceX's Elon Musk to Reveal Mars Colonization Ideas This Year - June 18th, 2017
- Meet NASA's Mars robot - Digital Trends - June 18th, 2017
- Elon Musk brings his Mars plan before the scientific community - Engadget - June 16th, 2017