Boris Johnson famously dislikes disappointing the people around him.
The result is this weekends barrage of confused messaging over whether the lockdown is ending, as he tries to please both sides in the battle raging within the Tory party about how to respond to the coronavirus crisis.
On the one hand, the rightwing hawks in his cabinet have been pushing him towards a swift return to business as usual to save the economy, setting out a roadmap to lifting the lockdown sooner rather than later. On the other, the more centrist doves, including the health secretary, Matt Hancock, have been pulling him in another direction, urging caution for fear of a second peak and more lost lives.
The received wisdom is that Johnson is now on the side of the doves following his brush with death during a four-day spell in intensive care suffering from Covid-19.
The start of his address on Sunday was cautious: he insisted that there was no immediate end to the lockdown and would allow only a gradual shift to unlimited exercise within household groups from Wednesday.
However, his overall shift in tone, ditching the stay at home message in favour of a stay alert slogan, told a different story. That new message appears designed to appease some of his critics within the Conservatives mostly on the Brexit-backing libertarian right of the party, who want to see more emphasis on people being trusted to take their own decisions about risk.
The decision to set out an ambition to reopen schools and some shops in June and some hospitality venues in July without the epidemic in care homes and hospitals yet under control also shows he has also been swayed by the hawks in his cabinet.
And a renewed emphasis on asking people to get back to work, even if they cannot observe social distancing, is another move that will please Tory MPs worried about the furlough scheme while alarming trade unions concerned about the safety of their workforces.
It is clear from the scathing reaction of Nicola Sturgeon, the first minister of Scotland, that there are serious worries in the devolved administrations about the risk of lifting the lockdown too soon and the chaotic messaging that is accompanying it.
Supporters of Johnson argue that he is trying to strike a careful balance between setting out a roadmap for reopening the economy and making no promises about exactly when schools, shops, cafes and restaurants would reopen.
He insisted that the government would ultimately be driven not by mere hope or economic necessity, [but] [by] the science, the data and public health.
However, sooner or later Johnson is going to have to pick a side in the argument over whether the threat of a crashing economy requires taking some risks with public health unless the epidemic starts to clear more quickly than scientists anticipate.
And in the meantime, the public has been left with some of the biggest questions unanswered especially about when they will be able to freely see their family and friends again.
- The Problems With Libertarianism | HuffPost - July 29th, 2021
- Social Libertarianism | Polcompball Wiki | Fandom - July 29th, 2021
- Dave Smith: Libertarians vs. Big Tech, Big Government, andOther Libertarians - Reason - July 29th, 2021
- Libertarian group sues government over information on $143 billion in improper Medicaid payments - Washington Examiner - July 29th, 2021
- The rise of the 'Liberty Republican' - Washington Examiner - July 29th, 2021
- Paypal Plans to Study Transactions That Fund Extremism, Anti-Government Groups Bitcoin News - Bitcoin News - July 29th, 2021
- July 29, 2021, Letters to the Editor | Serving Minden-Gardnerville and Carson Valley - The Record-Courier - July 29th, 2021
- Cal Thomas: Kristi Noem and the GOP's future - Lewiston Sun Journal - July 29th, 2021
- The Daily Cartoon and Live Briefing: Wednesday, July 14, 2021 - FlaglerLive.com - July 14th, 2021
- Credit every American - The Spokesman-Review - July 14th, 2021
- Inside the Battle Over the Soul of the Libertarian Party - Reason - June 27th, 2021
- Why Conservatives And Libertarians Should Think Globally About Environmental Policy - Forbes - June 27th, 2021
- Relief payments to Black farmers on hold amid lawsuits backed by former Trump aides, conservative groups - Kansas Reflector - June 27th, 2021
- Never-Trump Republicans Announce New Fundraising Effort To Re-Defeat the Ex-President - Reason - June 27th, 2021
- The Problem Belongs to Every Last Person: On Matt Bell's Appleseed - lareviewofbooks - June 27th, 2021
- Letter: It's time to take care of Earth and stop wasting tax dollars - Worcester Telegram - June 27th, 2021
- Jane Coaston Wants To Have Better Arguments - Sojourners - June 23rd, 2021
- Right Wing Crazies & Libertarians Join In On Socialist Rally To Defund The Police With Hilarious Results - Free Keene - June 23rd, 2021
- Noticing the common good | Religion | themountaineer.com - The Mountaineer - June 23rd, 2021
- How a GOP Senate resolution condemning critical race theory distorts the facts - Poynter - June 23rd, 2021
- Letter: Freedom could be more individualized, but not lost in the United States - Shreveport Times - June 23rd, 2021
- Libertarianism | Polcompball Wiki | Fandom - June 13th, 2021
- Neo-Libertarianism | Polcompball Wiki | Fandom - June 13th, 2021
- What Is a Libertarian? A Brief Summary of Their Beliefs - June 13th, 2021
- Thinking critically about critical race theory - The Nevada Independent - June 13th, 2021
- Letter: History shows Libertarian ideas are winning | Letters to the Editor | heraldextra.com - Daily Herald - June 11th, 2021
- Letter: The Libertarian position is pro-vaccine - INFORUM - June 11th, 2021
- Libertarian Party submitting two marijuana ballot initiatives in Wyoming ahead of 2022 election - Oil City News - June 11th, 2021
- Paul Frew: The libertarian electrician now charged with sparking the north's economic recovery - The Irish News - June 11th, 2021
- Third parties in the U.S. What options do voters have? - Deseret News - June 11th, 2021
- The Difference Between Classical Liberalism and Libertarianism - May 31st, 2021
- Bubba Horwitz: Crypto Is The Currency Of The Libertarian And Free Markets The Daily Dive - The Deep Dive - May 31st, 2021
- What 'The Enduring Tension' Can Teach Us about the Core Institutions of Our Civilization | Richard Morrison - Foundation for Economic Education - May 31st, 2021
- Ted Budd Officially Entering 2022 NC Senate Race - The Rhino Times of Greensboro - The Rhino TImes - April 29th, 2021
- Elections official admits breaking rule | Indiana | Journal Gazette - Fort Wayne Journal Gazette - April 29th, 2021
- Libertarian Party of Wisconsin holds annual convention in Eau Claire - WQOW TV News 18 - April 25th, 2021
- Letter: Calling out the misinformed, on the right and left, about COVID-19 - Eagle-Tribune - April 25th, 2021
- Boris's threat to intervene in the Super League furore is proof that his libertarian instincts are dead - Reaction - April 23rd, 2021
- WAHRHAFTIG: This Year's Primary Affects Everyone And Everyone Can Vote - Patch.com - April 23rd, 2021
- The Economic Fallout of COVID-19: Could We Have Avoided This Disaster? - Worth - April 23rd, 2021
- Letters to the Editor: April 5, 2021 - West Hawaii Today - April 6th, 2021
- The Bad Kind of Globalism - Splice Today - April 6th, 2021
- Vaccine Passports and Supply Chain Political Blacklist Risk - Reason - April 4th, 2021
- Glenn Nielsen and David Tyson Smith race toward the 45th District special election - Columbia Daily Tribune - April 4th, 2021
- Letters to the Editor for March 31, 2021 | Serving Carson City for over 150 years - Nevada Appeal - April 4th, 2021
- How Living on a Socialist Kibbutz Reveals the Value of Private Property - Reason - April 4th, 2021
- I Am An Ambedkarite And A Libertarian And I Do Not Owe Anything To Your Opinion - Youth Ki Awaaz - March 31st, 2021
- Libertarianism - Libertarian philosophy | Britannica - March 29th, 2021
- libertarianism | Definition, Doctrines, History, & Facts ... - March 25th, 2021
- Education and Naive Libertarianism - National Review - March 25th, 2021
- March 19-21: Libertarian Party of NH convention with keynote from former US Rep. Justin Amash - Manchester Ink Link - March 25th, 2021
- Why We Don't Need Any More "Political" Clubs on Campus The Skidmore News - Skidmore News - March 25th, 2021
- If we don't rediscover our libertarian spirit, the next pandemic will crush us - Telegraph.co.uk - March 25th, 2021
- Is it any surprise Republican men dont want the COVID vaccine? - The Boston Globe - March 25th, 2021
- Area business participates in hygiene drive | News, Sports, Jobs - The Express - Lock Haven Express - March 25th, 2021
- Recover the Moral Imperative of Law and Order city-journal.org - City Journal - March 25th, 2021
- Will Prohibitionists Tie The New Conservative Movement To Trump? - The Fresh Toast - March 25th, 2021
- 'Tip of the iceberg': Lawmakers mull domestic terrorism legislation after Capitol riot, other violence - USA TODAY - March 25th, 2021
- Knox County Mayor Glenn Jacobs announces he will run for reelection in 2022 - Knoxville News Sentinel - March 25th, 2021
- Bidenomics - The Nation - March 3rd, 2021
- Warren, Pressley among Dems pushing to strip police of 'qualified immunity' - Fox News - March 3rd, 2021
- Nick Robinson on 'Silk Road' and Carrying the Torch for 'Jurassic Park' - Hollywood Reporter - March 3rd, 2021
- Wyoming's Voter Registration Numbers Dip By More Than 20K Sheridan Media - Sheridan Media - March 3rd, 2021
- Recollections of Murray on His Ninety-Fifth Birthday - The Shepherd of the Hills Gazette - March 3rd, 2021
- Threatened by Libertarians, Iowa GOP moves goal posts - The Gazette - February 28th, 2021
- The New Foreign Flavor of CPACs Red Meat - New York Magazine - February 28th, 2021
- CPAC and the New Republicanism - The New York Times - February 28th, 2021
- Libertarian Party of Indiana's response to Secretary of State's resignation - Shelbynews - February 28th, 2021
- Iowa's bad election bill will stifle early voting, micromanage auditors - The Gazette - February 28th, 2021
- Letter: School voucher programs benefit the wealthy - The Republic - February 28th, 2021
- News - The Bankruptcy of Conservative Political Paternalism - The Heartland Institute - February 18th, 2021
- Rush Limbaugh galvanised and embodied the modern American right - The Economist - February 18th, 2021
- People Of Georgia's 14th Congressional Make Decision Who Will Occupy That Seat - Jamestown Post Journal - February 18th, 2021
- My Take: Here's a unity solution: Have one standard - HollandSentinel.com - February 18th, 2021
- 77 third-party candidates received more votes than the winner's margin of victory in 2020 Ballotpedia News - Ballotpedia News - January 29th, 2021
- Empathize with Trump voters? A Progressive and a Libertarian agree to disagree - KUOW News and Information - January 27th, 2021
- STATE: Constitution, Green parties no longer recognized in North Carolina - The Stanly News & Press | The Stanly News & Press - Stanly News... - January 27th, 2021
- Book Review: When A Libertarian Walks Into a Bear, nobody wins (except the reader) - NPI's Cascadia Advocate - January 27th, 2021
- Brennan: Intel Agencies To Probe The 'Bigots' Behind US 'Insurgency' - The Federalist - January 27th, 2021
- The politics of an Auschwitz survivors son - The Boston Globe - January 27th, 2021