Jitsi Original author(s) Emil Ivov Developer(s) Jitsi Team and Contributors Initial release 2003(2003) Stable release 2.8 (build.5426) (March19, 2015; 11 months ago(2015-03-19))  Preview release 2.9 (nightly)  Development status Active Written in Java Operating system Linux, Mac OS X, Windows (all Java supported) Size 52.4 MB Windows (bundles its own private JRE) 78.8MB Mac OS X (includes private JRE) 22MB Linux 65MB source code Available in Asturian, English, French, German, Bulgarian, Japanese, Spanish, Italian, Romanian, Greek and 25 more Type Voice over Internet Protocol / instant messaging / videoconferencing License Apache Website jitsi.org
Jitsi (formerly SIP Communicator) is a free and open source multiplatformvoice (VoIP), videoconferencing and instant messaging application for Windows, Linux, Mac OS X and Android. It supports several popular instant-messaging and telephony protocols, including open recognised encryption protocols for chat (OTR) and voice/video/streaming and voice/video conferencing (SIP/RTP/SRTP/ZRTP), as well as built-in IPv6, NAT traversal and DNSSEC. Jitsi and its source code are released under the terms of the Apache Software Licence.
Work on Jitsi (then SIP Communicator) started in 2003 in the context of a student project by Emil Ivov at the University of Strasbourg. It was originally released as an example video phone in the JAIN-SIP stack and later spun off as a standalone project.
Originally the project was mostly used as an experimentation tool because of its support for IPv6. Through the years, as the project gathered members, it also added support for protocols other than SIP.
Jitsi has received support from various institutions such as the NLnet Foundation, the University of Strasbourg and the Region of Alsace and it has also had multiple participations in the Google Summer of Code program.
In 2009, Emil Ivov founded the BlueJimp company which has employed some of Jitsis main contributors in order to offer professional support and development services related to the project.
In 2011, after successfully adding support for audio/video communication over XMPPs Jingle extensions, the project was renamed to Jitsi since it was no longer a SIP only Communicator. This name originates from the Bulgarian (wires).
On November 4, 2014, Jitsi + Ostel scored 6 out of 7 points on the Electronic Frontier Foundations secure messaging scorecard. They lost a point because there has not been a recent independent code audit.
On February 1, 2015, Hristo Terezov, Ingo Bauersachs and the rest of the team released  version 2.6 from their stand at the Free and Open Source Software Developers European Meeting 2015 event in Brussels. This release includes security fixes, removes support of the deprecated MSN protocol, along with SSLv3 in XMPP. Among other notable improvements, the OS X version bundles a Java 8 runtime, enables echo cancelling by default, and uses the CoreAudio subsystem. The Linux build addresses font issues with the GTK+ native LookAndFeel, and fixes some long standing issues about microphone level on call setup when using the PulseAudio sound system. This release also adds the embedded Java database Hyper SQL Database to improve performance for users with huge configuration files, a feature which is disabled by default. A full list of changes is  available on the project web site.
Jitsi supports multiple operating systems, including Windows as well as Unix-like systems such as Linux, Mac OS X and BSD. Beta packages built for Android are available but the projects roadmap describes the porting to Android as on hold. It also includes:
The following protocols are currently supported by Jitsi:
Jitsi is mostly written in Java which helps reuse most of the same code over the various operating systems it works on. Its GUI is based upon Swing. The project also uses native code for the implementation of platform specific tasks such as audio/video capture and rendering, IP address selection, and access to native popup notification systems such as Growl.
The project uses the Apache Felix OSGi implementation for modularity.
Among others Jitsi uses the JAIN-SIP protocol stack for SIP support and the Jive Software Smack library  for XMPP.
As Jitsi can handle IPv6 it is especially interesting for direct PC-to-PC (peer-to-peer) communication, for instance, if both sides were trapped behind NAT routers, but could obtain a reachable IPv6 address via a tunnel-broker.
The Jitsi community has also completed an ICE implementation called ice4j.org, which it uses to provide NAT traversal capabilities, and assist IPv4 to IPv6 transition.
Audio systems supported are PortAudio, PulseAudio and WASAPI (Windows Audio Session API).
Go here to see the original: Jitsi WOW.com
Jitsi WOW.com | Prometheism.net
- A look at how Jitsi became a 'secure' open-source alternative to Zoom - The Next Web - May 24th, 2020
- How the Covid-19 Lockdown Is Reshaping Uighur Activism - The Nation - May 24th, 2020
- TikTok now gives you one-tap access to streaming app Resso - The Next Web - May 24th, 2020
- Tips on Running a Remote Animation Studio - Animation World Network - May 24th, 2020
- Adapting from Home: This Weeks View of Video Meeting Triumphs and Concerns - Yahoo Finance - March 31st, 2020
- 8 Best Zoom Alternatives for Video Conferencing and Webinars - Beebom - March 31st, 2020
- Jitsi Downloads - iOS & Android apps; Jitsi Meet, & Jitsi ... - March 26th, 2020
- What Is the Most Secure Video Conferencing Software? - VICE - March 26th, 2020
- Home schooling tips: The things I wish I'd known before the schools went into lockdown - Telegraph.co.uk - March 26th, 2020
- Fox Sports 1 Utilized Video Call Center to Extend Reach of Shows Like The Herd with Colin Cowherd - Sports Video Group - December 22nd, 2019
- Fox Sports 1 Dials Up VCC for The Herd With Colin Cowherd - TV Technology - December 22nd, 2019
- Gladstone gold does club proud - Gladstone Observer - July 19th, 2017
- Jitsi | Futurist Transhuman News Blog - euvolution.com - July 10th, 2017
- FAQ | Jitsi | Prometheism.net euvolution.com | Futurist ... - July 5th, 2017
- FAQ | Jitsi | Futurist Transhuman News Blog - June 29th, 2017
- Tsirang vegetable vendors commit to selling local chillies - Kuensel, Buhutan's National Newspaper - June 27th, 2017
- FAQ | Jitsi | Prometheism.net - euvolution.com - June 26th, 2017
- FAQ | Jitsi - June 25th, 2017
- Jitsi - PediaView.com - June 14th, 2017
- How to Configure and Set-Up Jitsi - Liberty Under Attack - June 6th, 2017
- Jitsi Meet (advanced) Projects - May 23rd, 2017
- Diaspora* and Other Free Software Are Available in the Occitan Language, Thanks to Volunteer Translators - Global Voices Online - May 23rd, 2017
- Online privacy guide for journalists - Radioinfo (subscription) - May 18th, 2017
- Your Essential List of 7 Productivity Hacks and Time Management Tips - Business 2 Community - May 11th, 2017
- Encrypted Chat Took Over. Let's Encrypt Calls, Too - Huffington Post - April 25th, 2017
- 5 Apps You Didn't Know You Needed - Syracuse University News - April 3rd, 2017
- Jitsi Meet - Android Apps on Google Play - March 9th, 2017
- Snowden helping develop tools to protect journalists and whistleblowers - 'to make the game a little more fair' - Press Gazette - February 15th, 2017
- Edward Snowden's New Job: Protecting Reporters From Spies - WIRED - February 14th, 2017
- Jitsi for Windows - Secure Instant Messaging and VoIP - February 11th, 2017
- Jitsi for Mac - Download - jitsi.en.softonic.com - February 6th, 2017
- Jitsi softphone for Windows OnSIP Support - November 23rd, 2016
- Trying to install jitsi meet with apache2 - Stack Overflow - October 29th, 2016
- Jitsi - Wikipedia - October 27th, 2016
- Jitsi - Mensajera instantnea segura de texto, audio y ... - August 10th, 2016
- Jitsi - Quora - May 31st, 2016
- Chocolatey Gallery | Jitsi 2.8.5426 - May 28th, 2016
- Jitsi - - May 24th, 2016
- Jitsi - FreeBSD Wiki - May 22nd, 2016
- Jitsi - OSTN - Guardian Project Open Dev - May 21st, 2016
- Review: Jitsi the ultimate SIP voice and video client ... - April 22nd, 2016
- Jitsi - WOW.com - April 11th, 2016
- OpenFire Jitsi as Skype(desktop sharing) and Temviewer ... - March 20th, 2016
- Jitsi Download - Softpedia - March 16th, 2016
- Why did Atlassian Acquire Jitsi? (Hint: WebRTC Multiparty ... - March 6th, 2016
- Jitsi - Wikipedia, la enciclopedia libre - December 22nd, 2015
- [jitsi-users] SIP - Lync Connect deosnt work - December 19th, 2015
- Jitsi (Build 3132) - September 24th, 2015
- A Skype alternative worth its salt: Jitsi | usability ... - September 6th, 2015
- Jitsi Configuration and Review - Callcentric - August 30th, 2015
- Jitsi SIP Softphone Review - About.com Tech - August 30th, 2015
- Jitsi, ostel.co and ISP censorship | The Guardian Project - August 30th, 2015
- Jitsi | Tiki Suite - August 30th, 2015
- Jitsi Tutorial 1 - Installation - Top Windows Tutorials - August 8th, 2015
- jitsi/jitsi-meet GitHub - July 24th, 2015
- Jitsi: A Multi-Protocol, Cross Platform Compatible Chat ... - July 24th, 2015
- JITSI - Video - April 8th, 2015
- Jitsi - secure IM & VoIP | security in-a-box - March 21st, 2015
- Nexi Unified Communication Jitsi Presentazione full - Video - February 19th, 2015
- Jitsi for Mac | MacUpdate - Apple Mac OS X Software & Apps ... - February 13th, 2015
- Jitsi Wikipdia - February 7th, 2015
- Skype Encrypted Alt. SIP Jitsi Combo - February 7th, 2015
- jitsi videollamada - Video - December 26th, 2014
- IETF91 chairs meeting Honolulu Jitsi Meet questions - Video - November 18th, 2014
- IETF91 chairs meeting Honolulu Jitsi Meet presentation - Video - November 17th, 2014
- Jitsi Flasms Dogfooding: Using your own imperfect solutions helps improve them, - Video - November 10th, 2014
- When I say join me in a jitsi meet... - Video - November 7th, 2014
- Top messaging apps flat-out flunk EFF's security review - November 5th, 2014
- Bitcoin and dark wallet could be used by terrorists. So what? - September 24th, 2014
- jitsi.org | Jitsi - September 17th, 2014
- Just Linux touch screen and Jitsi - Video - September 16th, 2014
- FOSDEM 2014 - Jitsi Videobridge And Webrtc - Video - September 16th, 2014
- The Luminosity of Free Software Episode 20 - Video - September 13th, 2014
- Using XMPP chat with Jitsi - Video - September 12th, 2014
- Jitsi - SIP Softphone - Video - September 12th, 2014
- Jitsi (Mac) - Download - Softonic - September 1st, 2014
- How to download and install Jitsi - Video - May 17th, 2014
- Eliyah Moore, Barum Jiu Jitsi Vs Cahel Gonzalez, 5 Star Martial Arts - Video - May 16th, 2014
- Jitsi VoIP softphone Hands On Tutorial - Video - May 11th, 2014
- NetSecDemo Secure FTP over Jitsi - Video - May 9th, 2014