For weeks, Trump had been giving winding, stream-of-consciousness updates on the state of the Covid fight as it clearly worsened. So when he got up from the Oval Office to brief reporters gathered in the James S. Brady Press Briefing Room on April 23, there was no expectation that the days proceedings would be any different than usual.
Privately, however, some of his aides were worried. The Covid task force had met earlier that day as usual, without Trump to discuss the most recent findings, including the effects of light and humidity on how the virus spreads. Trump was briefed by a small group of aides. But it was clear to some aides that he hadnt processed all the details before he left to speak to the press.
A few of us actually tried to stop it in the West Wing hallway, said one former senior Trump White House official. I actually argued that President Trump wouldn't have the time to absorb it and understand it. But I lost, and it went how it did.
Trump started his press conference that day by doing something hed come to loathe: pushing basic public safety measures. He called for the voluntary use of face coverings and said of his administration, continued diligence is an essential part of our strategy.
Quickly, however, came a hint at how loose the guardrails were that day. Trump introduced Bill Bryan, head of science and technology at the Department of Homeland Security. Hes going to be talking about how the virus reacts in sunlight, the president said. Wait til you hear the numbers.
As Bryan spoke, charts were displayed behind him about surface temperatures and virus half-lives. He preached, rather presciently, for people to move activities outside and then detailed ongoing studies involving disinfectants. We tested bleach, he said at one point. I can tell you that bleach will kill the virus in five minutes.
Standing off to the side, Trump clasped his hands in front of his stomach, nodded and looked out into the room of gathered reporters. When Bryan was done, he strode slowly back to the lectern.
A question that probably some of you are thinking of if youre totally into that world, Trump began, clearly thinking the question himself, So, supposing we hit the body with a tremendous whether it's ultraviolet or just very powerful light and I think you said that that hasn't been checked, but you're going to test it. And then I said, supposing you brought the light inside the body, which you can do either through the skin or in some other way, and I think you said you're going to test that, too. It sounds interesting. And then I see the disinfectant, where it knocks it out in a minute. One minute. And is there a way we can do something like that, by injection inside or almost a cleaning. Because you see it gets in the lungs, and it does a tremendous number on the lungs. So it would be interesting to check that.
Dr. Deborah Birx, Trumps former coronavirus response coordinator, sat silently off to the side as the president made these suggestions to her. Later, she would tell ABC, I didnt know how to handle that episode, adding, I still think about it every day.
Inside the Biden campaign, aides were shocked as well. They were working remotely at that juncture, communicating largely over Signal. But the import of what had happened became quickly evident to them.
Even for him, said one former Biden campaign aide, this was stratospherically insane and dangerous. It cemented the case we had been making about his derelict covid response.
In short order, the infamous bleach press conference became a literal rallying cry for Trumps opponents, with Biden supporters dotting their yards with He Wont Put Bleach In You signs. For Trump, it was a scourge. He would go on to insist that he was merely being sarcastic a claim at odds with the excited curiosity he had posing those questions to Birx. His former team concedes that real damage was done.
People joked about it inside the White House like, Are you drinking bleach and injecting sunlight? People were mocking it and saying, Oh let me go stand out in the sun, and Ill be safe from Covid, said one former administration official. It honestly hurt. It was a credibility issue. It was hurting us even from an international standpoint, the credibility at the White House.
That Trump was even at the lectern that day was head-scratching for many. For weeks, he and his team had downplayed the severity of the Covid crisis even as the president privately acknowledged to the Washington Posts Bob Woodward that it had the potential to be catastrophic. But as it became clearer that the public was not buying the rosy assessments, Trump had decided to take his fate into his own hands assembling the press on a daily basis to spin his way through the crisis.
He loved it. The former administration official said Trump was elated with the free airtime he was getting on television day after day. He was asking how much money that was worth, the aide recalled. The coverage was so ubiquitous that, at one point, Fox News Bret Baier attended the briefing and peppered the president with questions because his own show was being routinely interrupted.
The bleach episode changed all that.
Aides immediately understood what a public health quagmire Trumps remarks had created. White House press secretary Kayleigh McEnany insisted he was being taken out of context.
President Trump has repeatedly said that Americans should consult with medical doctors regarding coronavirus treatment, a point that he emphasized again during yesterdays briefing, McEnany said in a statement issued the next day. Leave it to the media to irresponsibly take President Trump out of context and run with negative headlines.
But behind the scenes, Trumps remarks were used as evidence by senior aides for why they needed to crack down on unvetted information being put in front of the president. Either they didn't know what he was going to say which isn't ideal or they didn't push back before he went out to the briefing, said a former senior communications official in the Trump administration. It was a huge unforced error that could have been prevented."
By then, White House aides were already debating the efficacy of having Trump relay health information to the public and having to answer whatever question a reporter might throw his way. Some aides along with Republican allies on Capitol Hill were pushing to get the president to take a back seat to his health experts at the podium.
It became like a presser for the sake of having a presser. We didnt have anything to announce or real policy plans, a former White House official said. If youre just coming out and talking, a Q&A [with reporters] wasnt going to be helpful.
Trump would end up doing only a handful more press conferences after the bleach episode before picking them back up again in July. A year later, the episode is still considered a defining point in the Covid fight and a prime exhibit of what can go wrong when an over-confident president believes he can message his way through a once-in-a-lifetime global pandemic.
Undoubtedly [it was] a seminal moment in presidential communications, and while it is easy to laugh it off, I hope it educates leaders and communicators for decades, said former Obama White House press secretary Robert Gibbs. But this was the moment where we knew without any doubt that the government was in way over its head, and its ability to both respond effectively and educate Americans about what to do was not going to be anywhere close to meeting the moment.
Read the rest here:
- Trump opines on coup while rejecting fears about his actions - Associated Press - July 16th, 2021
- Trump Lawyers Who Spread False Election Claims Are Now Defending Themselves In Court - NPR - July 16th, 2021
- Opinion: Why we still pay attention to Donald Trump - Poynter - July 16th, 2021
- Kremlin papers appear to show Putins plot to put Trump in White House - The Guardian - July 16th, 2021
- What you need to know about Bill McSwains letter to Donald Trump on Pa. voter fraud - The Philadelphia Inquirer - July 16th, 2021
- Donald Trump's angry at Brett Kavanaugh but this court is a huge win for the far right - Salon - July 16th, 2021
- Mike Pence and Benjamin Netanyahu pushed Donald Trump to bomb Iran after losing the election: rpt - Salon - July 16th, 2021
- Legal threats to Donald Trump more serious than ever before, experts say - The Guardian - July 14th, 2021
- Donald Trump Isnt Letting It Go - The Atlantic - July 14th, 2021
- The Trump Organization Desperately Tries to Distance Itself From Its Criminally Indicted CFO - Vanity Fair - July 14th, 2021
- Trump Is Very Disappointed in Brett Kavanaugh for Not Helping Him Steal the Election - Vanity Fair - July 14th, 2021
- Biden takes big break from habit of avoiding Trump talk | TheHill - The Hill - July 14th, 2021
- Trump's Revenge on Brad Raffensperger in Georgia - The Atlantic - July 14th, 2021
- I've lived under Donald Trump and Fidel Castro. Both taught me the importance of defending truth. - America Magazine - July 14th, 2021
- Opinion | America Punishes Only a Certain Kind of Rebel - The New York Times - July 14th, 2021
- Trump on Jan. 6 insurrection: 'These were great people' - POLITICO - July 12th, 2021
- Inside Donald Trumps Last Days in the White House and Plans for a Comeback - The Wall Street Journal - July 12th, 2021
- Trumpworld wants distance from QAnon even as the ex-president winks at it - POLITICO - July 12th, 2021
- Trump team waited for Wisc. election updates, had time zones wrong: book - Business Insider - July 12th, 2021
- Governors' races see flood of pro-Trump candidates | TheHill - The Hill - July 12th, 2021
- F--k Him: Rupert Murdoch Reportedly Made the Call to Bury Trumps Election Night Dreams in a Shallow Grave - Vanity Fair - July 12th, 2021
- Trump says he paved the way for billionaires' space race - New York Post - July 12th, 2021
- Fact-checking Donald Trump on there being 'no reason' for shooting Ashli Babbitt - PolitiFact - July 12th, 2021
- Why Are Republican Governors Sending National Guard to the Border? - POLITICO - July 12th, 2021
- Who's the Top MAGA Influencer Six Months After Trump Social Media Ban? A Newsweek Ranking - Newsweek - July 12th, 2021
- Donald Trump returns to campaign trail with rally ... - June 28th, 2021
- Still reeling from election loss, Trump says Mitch McConnell 'blew it' for America - Courier Journal - June 28th, 2021
- QAnon Followers Think They See Donald Trump in White House Window Reflection - Newsweek - June 28th, 2021
- Donald Trump Denies That He Asked Justice Department To Go After Saturday Night Live - Deadline - June 28th, 2021
- Reports of a "diminished" Trump are greatly exaggerated he can ride the Big Lie to a 2024 win - Salon - June 28th, 2021
- Is This What Donald Trump Really Thinks Of Rudy Giuliani? - The List - June 28th, 2021
- Out-of-Practice Trump Forgets to Strand Rally Crowd in Parking Lot - The New Yorker - June 28th, 2021
- From Trump to vets: Its a nice break from trench warfare of politics - Deseret News - June 28th, 2021
- Donald Trump Has Apparently Been Questioning All that Jared Kushner Did for His Administration - Yahoo Entertainment - June 28th, 2021
- Of Course Trump Tried to Get the Justice Department to Stop SNL From Making Fun of Him - Vanity Fair - June 24th, 2021
- Pence May Finally Be Ready to Strike Back Against Trump - Business Insider - June 24th, 2021
- Inside the extraordinary effort to save Trump from COVID-19 - Anchorage Daily News - June 24th, 2021
- Is banning Trump from Facebook a First Amendment issue? Clarence Thomas, other conservatives say it is - USA TODAY - June 24th, 2021
- Analysis: Texas Gov. Greg Abbott already has the one endorsement he needs - The Texas Tribune - June 24th, 2021
- Facebook says Donald Trump to remain banned for two years, effective from Jan. 7 - CNBC - June 6th, 2021
- No, Donald Trump didnt win Texas by a lot in 2020; it was among the worst GOP victory margins in decades - The Dallas Morning News - June 6th, 2021
- Did Donald Trump Wear His Pants Backwards? Kris Kross Memes Have Already Begun - Yahoo Entertainment - June 6th, 2021
- The Confusing Law That Could Shape Trumps Legal Fate - POLITICO - June 6th, 2021
- Republicans fear Trump will lead to a lost generation of talent - POLITICO - June 6th, 2021
- Matt Gaetz, Donald Trump and why obstruction of justice matters - MSNBC - June 6th, 2021
- Donald Trump Jr. joins Cameo | TheHill - The Hill - June 6th, 2021
- Don McGahn's Testimony Could Finally Break Donald Trump's Ability to Evade the Law - The New Republic - June 6th, 2021
- Donald Trump's new blog crashed after he posted an unverified claim about election fraud in Arizona - Business Insider - May 20th, 2021
- What we know about investigations looming over Donald Trump and Trump Organization - USA TODAY - May 20th, 2021
- Donald Trump, coronavirus news & more: Whats trending today - cleveland.com - May 20th, 2021
- Donald Trump flies north for the summer to New Jersey golf club - The Guardian - May 20th, 2021
- Donald Trump Is An Exemplary Tenant, Says His Washington D.C. Landlord - Forbes - May 20th, 2021
- Joe Biden proves an elusive target for Republicans. After Cheney fight, their focus is back on the president - USA TODAY - May 20th, 2021
- Donald Trump Bashes 2020 Presidential Election As 'Crime Of The Century' - HuffPost - May 20th, 2021
- Does Donald Trump Know He Could Be Arrested This Year? - Yahoo Entertainment - May 20th, 2021
- Trumps Social Media Magic Appears to Be Wearing Off - Vanity Fair - May 11th, 2021
- Bennet Wants White House Review Of Trump's Decision To Move Space Command Away From Colorado Springs - Colorado Public Radio - May 11th, 2021
- Mike Pence looks at the 2024 presidential race but sees Donald Trump everywhere - South Bend Tribune - May 11th, 2021
- Glaring Problem With GOP's Trump Obsession. He Doesn't Need Them Anymore - Business Insider - May 11th, 2021
- Is there a Snapple Fact that says that Donald Trump lost? Lid tweet goes viral! - HITC - Football, Gaming, Movies, TV, Music - May 11th, 2021
- The Truth About Melania And Donald Trump's Relationship Today - Nicki Swift - May 11th, 2021
- Donald Trump returns to social media with glorified blog ... - May 9th, 2021
- What will Facebooks ban mean for Donald Trumps future? - Brookings Institution - May 9th, 2021
- Murphy gliding in NJ's primary; GOP wrestling with Trump - Associated Press - May 9th, 2021
- Trump wouldn't be the first ex-president to run again but he might be the last - Salon - May 9th, 2021
- Caitlyn Jenner praises Donald Trump and says she's in favor of building 'the wall' in Sean Hannity interview - Business Insider - May 9th, 2021
- Republicans cry big tech bias on the very platforms they have dominated - The Guardian - May 9th, 2021
- Letters to the editor: Doctor against medical marijuana; readers address Donald Trump's lie, Medicaid expansion - The Topeka Capital-Journal - May 9th, 2021
- Donald Trump's Adult Children Are Still Costing Taxpayers Thousands Of Dollars A Day - HuffPost - May 7th, 2021
- Donald Trump, Facing $590 Million in Debt Payments, Gets ... - May 4th, 2021
- Ted Cruz and Donald Trump Jr. mocked a new CIA recruitment ad in which a staffer identified as a millennial with anxiety - Yahoo News - May 4th, 2021
- Trump launches 'From the desk of Donald J. Trump' as potential Facebook ban looms - USA TODAY - May 4th, 2021
- Opinion | Tucker Carlson Is the New Donald Trump - The New York Times - May 4th, 2021
- Donald Trump relocating to New Jersey to jumpstart ... - April 29th, 2021
- Trumps Battle to Win the First 100 Days - POLITICO - April 29th, 2021
- Donald Trump makes late push for Susan Wright in special election to fill her late husband's U.S. House seat - The Texas Tribune - April 29th, 2021
- Donald Trump Seizes On Low Oscars Ratings To Bash Telecast: Dont Be So Politically Correct And Boring - Deadline - April 29th, 2021
- Trump allies fear his 2024 indecision is blowing chance to 'control' GOP: CNN - Business Insider - April 29th, 2021
- Donald Trump believes he would be on Mount Rushmore if he were a Democrat - Yahoo News - April 29th, 2021
- Donald Trump is turning Arizona into the Area 51 of politics - The Arizona Republic - April 29th, 2021