By Andrew Busby, CEO of Retail Reflections
They havent seen a customer for months, and if reports are to be believed, its likely that other, unwanted visitors have likely moved in.
But, for now, lets assume that the local pest control have done their job, spring and summer lines are on the rails, and the windows are screaming, come in and buy!, what else do retailers need to consider before the curtain goes up once more, in front of an expectant audience?
Because, all the while stores have lain dormant, an online predator has been on the rampage, greedily devouring the market as rapidly as possible. Its time for a physical fightback.
Well, not quite, because of course, with a few notable exceptions, retailing today is all about a joined-up proposition. Easy and convenient, providing a seamless journey whatever the start point and whatever the destination.
So, just what does a successful reopening look like?
If we dont feel safe, were not going to return. Its that simple. And while supermarkets have inexplicably relaxed their Covid safe measures, we need to do our grocery shop, so will apply a different level of risk assessment in that instance.
However, for many of us, shopping is all about browsing, the complete antithesis of stocking up on the weekly grocery. So, were going to want to browse in safety.
Just how seamless is your multichannel offering? Can you effectively manage all your offline and online orders? Automated ordering fulfilment and shipping has never been as critical as it is now.
Reducing order processing and delivery times by automating repeatable order management tasks takes the uncertainty out of multichannel operations and allows e-commerce firms to get items out of the door faster. Brands like Shopify and Brightpearl have grown tremendously over the last year because of their ability to support retail automation. And, additionally, are you offering different delivery options? Because kerbside collection has just gone mainstream.
Or rather, where it is. Lets face it, the last time it saw the light of day was many weeks ago. Is it in the right place? Do you know how long its been there? Are you on top of your online returns? Because, things are about to take off once again.
Time to take a fresh look at your stores. Shrewd retailers will quickly realise that the journey from safe to smart stores is a logical path to tread. Time to really understand how your customers shop your stores. Time to exploit the work from home generation and offer live video streaming.
For years weve talked about digitally enabling the business and it often felt like it was a solution trying to find a problem. Covid-19 is that problem, and is the perfect reason to reimagine the entire store experience.
After a year of lockdown and social distancing restrictions, weve become a cynical, judgmental lot, and not only that, weve become rather accustomed, after just a few clicks, to stuff simply turning up on our doorstep the next day.
So, yes, were going to venture out of our bunkers and into the shops, but in so doing, casting something of a critical eye on all that we encounter. And if the experience isnt positively memorable, well simply revert to clicks once more.
Even before the global pandemic hit us, retailers were facing a myriad of challenges from all quarters; consumer confidence, shifting behaviours, online promiscuity, lack of loyalty, rising costs the list goes on and on. Well, it just got even longer, but simultaneously, many opportunities are now presenting themselves.
It would be too easy to label stores as an expensive overhead in the face of an online tsunami but the truth is rather different. It all depends on the lens through which you view them. Sales driver and brand enabler? Or a costly anchor holding your business back?
Those who see the former are the ones more likely to succeed.
- Company Starts Shipping Its $50,000 Mind-Reading Helmet - Futurism - June 18th, 2021
- I'm Going to See the Futuristic Lucid Air EV Sedan Next Week. What Do You Want to Know About It? - The Drive - June 18th, 2021
- Futuristic Wearable Designs that are emerging as the top tech trends of 2021! - Yanko Design - June 18th, 2021
- A Futuristic Amusement Park and an Ecological Power Plant: 16 Unbuilt Competition-Winning Projects Submitted to ArchDaily - ArchDaily - June 18th, 2021
- The Largest Structures in the Universe Started To Spin and We Don't Know Why - Futurism - June 18th, 2021
- Futuristic Self-Driving Car Hits Person the Old Fashioned Way - VICE - June 18th, 2021
- Jeff Bezos Is Helping Build a Fusion Power Plant in the UK - Futurism - June 18th, 2021
- Disney and Africas Kugali to unleash a futuristic Lagos in the upcoming series Iwaju - Animation Xpress - June 18th, 2021
- Experts Decide That Earth Has Five Oceans, Actually - Futurism - June 18th, 2021
- Germany Wants Tesla to Share Its Supercharger Network With Other Carmakers - Futurism - June 18th, 2021
- Battlefield 2042 Enlists AI Soldiers To The Fight On The Futuristic Multiplayer Front - Hot Hardware - June 18th, 2021
- NASA Has Assembled a Megarocket to Take Humans to the Moon - Futurism - June 18th, 2021
- Premiere: Rap Newcomer BXKS Shows Off Her Cosmic Brand Of Futurism On Must Feel - Complex - June 18th, 2021
- Prime Vision to offer a futuristic robotic sorting solution for the US - Post and Parcel - June 18th, 2021
- $1300 off this 8K Samsung TV deal is tempting us to upgrade to the futuristic resolution - GamesRadar+ - June 18th, 2021
- AMC and Heimplanet Reveal Electric Camping Truck | HYPEBEAST - HYPEBEAST - June 18th, 2021
- Influential Voices On The Future Of Work: Brian David Johnson, Futurist - Forbes - May 11th, 2021
- Futurist Deborah Westphal Releases New Book, "Convergence: Technology, Business, and the Human-Centric Future" - PRNewswire - May 11th, 2021
- Unpacking Returnals UX design: Gameplay-first UI, retro-futuristic tech, and accessibility - PlayStation.Blog - May 11th, 2021
- Toyota's Futuristic Woven City Will Be Powered by Hydrogen - autoevolution - May 11th, 2021
- The Opulent, Futuristic Megamansion of Bill and Melinda Gates Could Be a Hard Sell - Mansion Global - May 11th, 2021
- Scientists Turned HIV Into a Life-Saving Gene Therapy - Futurism - May 11th, 2021
- Experts Shred Paper Claiming to Identify Mushrooms on Mars - Futurism - May 11th, 2021
- Ford Patents Tech to Annoy Drivers With In-Car Advertisements - Futurism - May 11th, 2021
- Stewart Brand portrayed as tech futurist and publisher in We Are as Gods - SF Chronicle Datebook - April 21st, 2021
- UK to Add Atomwaffen Division to Proscribed Terrorist List | Kharon - Kharon Brief - April 21st, 2021
- Scientists Claim That Actually, Radiation Is Good For You - Futurism - April 21st, 2021
- Russia Is Reportedly Abandoning the International Space Station - Futurism - April 21st, 2021
- China's Population Is About to Start Declining, and Its Leaders Are Worried - Futurism - April 21st, 2021
- NASA Will Require SpaceX to Land Empty Starship on Moon Before Sending Astronauts - Futurism - April 21st, 2021
- The Futuristic Way You Could Soon Get Groceries Delivered From Walmart - Mashed - April 21st, 2021
- NASA Says Mars Helicopter Is Now Healthier Than It Was Before Flight - Futurism - April 21st, 2021
- Study: Humanity Has Ravaged All But 3 Percent of The Land on Earth - Futurism - April 21st, 2021
- Kyle Kuzma eclectic and futuristic style leads this week's edition of NBA Style Power Rankings - The Athletic - April 21st, 2021
- Five Longhorn Startups Launch Futuristic Solutions for the Challenges of Today - UT News - UT News | The University of Texas at Austin - April 19th, 2021
- This Theory Could Explain Many Military UFO Sightings - Futurism - April 19th, 2021
- Hyundai's Staria is the coolest futuristic minivan that we'll never get - CNET - April 19th, 2021
- Dogecoin Is Spiking and People Are Losing Their Minds - Futurism - April 19th, 2021
- US Spies Warn That China Is Building Space Weapons - Futurism - April 19th, 2021
- Terrifying Mutated-Looking "Creature" Turns Out to Be a Croissant - Futurism - April 19th, 2021
- Japanese Prime Minister Challenged to Drink Radioactive Water Before Dumping It Into the Ocean - Futurism - April 19th, 2021
- Bitcoin Creator Satoshi Nakomoto Is Now One of the World's Wealthiest People - Futurism - April 19th, 2021
- Elon Musk Says He Is Now the "Imperator of Mars" - Futurism - April 19th, 2021
- This Type of Ant Can Shrink and Regrow Its Brain - Futurism - April 19th, 2021
- The Stuff Beer Cans Are Made From Is Linked to Alzheimer's Disease - Futurism - April 19th, 2021
- CRISPR Therapies Pipeline Insights 2021: Analysis of Key Companies, Emerging Therapies, Recent Happenings and Futuristic Trends - GlobeNewswire - April 19th, 2021
- NYPD Robodog Involved in Arrest of Man With Gun - Futurism - April 19th, 2021
- Taco Bell Just Opened a Futuristic New Location In This Major City - Yahoo Lifestyle - April 19th, 2021
- NASA Considering Reality TV Show Filmed on Space Station - Futurism - April 19th, 2021
- Expert: Neuralink Could Sell Your Private Thoughts to the "Highest Bidder" - Futurism - April 19th, 2021
- Anomaly in Earth's Magnetic Field May Be Caused by Buried Fragment of Ancient Planet - Futurism - April 19th, 2021
- Cyberpunk 2077 Meets The Witchers Yennefer in Futuristic Cosplay - DualShockers - April 19th, 2021
- Battlefield 6 leaker claims slightly futuristic setting with drones and robots - Gamesradar - March 31st, 2021
- Smoking Will Disappear Within a Generation, Experts Say - Futurism - March 31st, 2021
- Humans Are Rapidly Losing the Ability to Procreate, Scientist Warns - Futurism - March 31st, 2021
- There Appears to Be a Huge Chunk of an Ancient Planet Buried Inside Earth - Futurism - March 31st, 2021
- Scientists Engineer Synthetic Bacteria That Multiplies Like the Real Thing - Futurism - March 31st, 2021
- South Korean President Announces Plans To Land On The Moon By 2030 - Futurism - March 31st, 2021
- This 525-Foot Superyacht Concept Is Powered by Solar Sails When Theres No Wind - Robb Report - March 31st, 2021
- Something Is Ripping Apart the Nearest Star Cluster to Earth - Futurism - March 31st, 2021
- Mercedes-Benz Showcases Futuristic Dashboard of its Upcoming EQS The EQS is essentially the all-electric version of the S-Class sedan. Not... - March 31st, 2021
- Hertfordshire property: The futuristic Radlett house that looks like it belongs on Grand Designs - Hertfordshire Mercury - March 31st, 2021
- Sims 4: Most Futuristic Homes On The Gallery | Game Rant - GameRant - March 31st, 2021
- Watch a SpaceX Rocket Stage Burn Up Spectacularly in the Earth's Atmosphere - Futurism - March 31st, 2021
- Mercedes shows off the futuristic cabin of its upcoming EQS flagship sedan - IOL - March 31st, 2021
- Battlefield 6 leak just revealed setting were going to the future - Tom's Guide - March 31st, 2021
- Five Principles for Thinking Like a Futurist | EDUCAUSE - March 25th, 2021
- Futurism - Wikipedia - March 25th, 2021
- The Futurist Controller - Matthews Effects - March 25th, 2021
- FUTURIST: Arriving at a global fork in the road - Sarasota Herald-Tribune - March 25th, 2021
- Hail a Taxi to the Sky? Palm Beach County Commissioners Signal Interest in Futuristic Travel Tech - AviationPros.com - March 25th, 2021
- Bill Gates Attempts to Explain Why He Bought More Farmland Than Anyone Else in America - Futurism - March 25th, 2021
- The Futuristic Hyundai Staria Minivan Is What a People Hauler Should Be in 2021 - The Drive - March 25th, 2021
- Watch This Awesome Video of Clouds Drifting Across the Martian Sky - Futurism - March 25th, 2021
- New images reveal vision of 'futuristic recovery' for East Midlands | TheBusinessDesk.com - The Business Desk - March 25th, 2021
- This Architect Designed a Conceptual Eco-Floating Hotel in Qatar - My Modern Met - March 25th, 2021
- The UAE Is Using Drones to Manipulate Weather - Futurism - March 25th, 2021
- Facebook Teases Futuristic Wrist-Based Wearable That Will Let You Control AR With Your Mind - Gizmodo - March 25th, 2021
- The Artists Building a Future out of Mushrooms - frieze.com - March 25th, 2021
- This Is What It Would Be Like to Ride Starship During Its Epic "Belly Flop" Maneuver - Futurism - March 25th, 2021