Jason, 32, has never been a big fan of alcohol.
I drank a couple times in my early 20s and it was not for me from the beginning, he said. It wasnt very fun; it didnt taste good at all.
But Jason who asked that we not use his last name has Crohns disease. With that comes chronic pain, and theres no cure.
About five years ago, he developed a resistance to his medicine and could no longer take it. Thats when he started self-medicating with cannabis.
Jason lives in Minnesota, where medical cannabis is legal for his condition. But it comes with an annual $200 registration fee, and isnt covered by insurance.
It is so much cheaper to buy off the street, he said. Since Im such a lightweight thats about every three months, and its about $40 to $80.
Since he started regularly using the drug three years ago which is illegal recreationally in his state he says his symptoms have gone back into remission.
He smokes weed three or four nights a week. He still has no urge to drink. But he likes the way weed makes him feel. Its much more relaxing, he says.
Just as young adults are drinking less alcohol than previous generations, theyre using more marijuana.
According to the National Institute on Drug Abuses 2018 Monitoring the Future survey, marijuana use is the highest its been in three decades. Eight percent of folks aged 19 to 28 use cannabis daily, more than triple the percentage in 1992.
Meanwhile, binge drinking in the same age group dropped nearly 4 percent over the past five years, a decrease the researchers called significant.
Most recently, this phenomenon has been documented in the media as a calculated lifestyle choice: Cali sober.If youre Cali sober, youuse cannabis, but dont drink alcohol.
There are lots of reasons people choose to go Cali sober. Somecant stand the hangoversthey get and prefer the feeling of being high to the feeling of being drunk.
Others, like Jason, use it to self-medicate for chronic pain, or sleep disorders, or anxiety.
Cannabis is more legally accessible than it was in 1992. Since 2012, 11 states and the District of Columbia have legalized marijuana for recreational use.
Some believe cannabis to be a safe, natural alternative to other drugs.
But researchers like R. Lorraine Collins say its not that simple.
People have embraced the use of cannabis because its got this reputation for being natural, said Collins, associate dean for research at the University at Buffalos School of Public Health and Health Professions.
But the fact that its natural doesnt mean it would not produce harm if used in certain kinds of circumstances.
Collins was part of a landmark report by the National Academies of Sciences, Engineering and Medicine on the health effects of cannabis.
The key areas where the National Academies review of cannabis showed health benefits were related to reducing chronic pain, reducing nausea related to chemotherapy in cancer treatment, and helping with some forms of spasticity, she said.
The review found moderate benefits related to improving short-term sleep, for sleep apnea, fibromyalgia and some symptoms of multiple sclerosis.
The medical conditions that qualify for medical marijuana are much broader than that list and vary state by state.
Of course, most people who use cannabis dont do it for the health benefits. They do it for the high.
In 2013, just 17 percent of folks who used cannabis did it medically.
Eleanor, 27, is one of the 83 percent who use cannabis strictly for fun.
For the past year and a half, shes been almost completely alcohol-free, save for a drink or two, like when her boss handed her a glass of wine at a social function without asking.
But she uses marijuana about once a month.
For me, the feeling of being high and buzzed are sort of comparable, but with weed I dont experience the nasty side effects that I get with alcohol, she said.
Eleanor says she has a sensitivity to alcohol that causes painful stomach cramps and digestive issues. Its only gotten worse as shes gotten older.
I tend to be an over-thinker, and weed helps me calm down and get out of my head, which is an effect that isnt as present with alcohol, she said.
Eleanor asked to use a pseudonym for this article. Shes an American living abroad, in a country where cannabis is not legal.
I really dont like to think that Im self-medicating through substances, so I try to use only recreationally and not because I need to, she said.
I do occasionally catch myself thinking Oh man, I would really like a joint after a long week, but I dont have my own supply or anything.
That means she only uses it with friends, which isnt often. She likes that its not attached to her mental, physical or emotional state.
[ICYMI: Why Some People Are Getting Sober-Curious]
For Eleanor, weed is a good alternative to alcohol at social gatherings.
But Collins says there are still health concerns that come with using the drug that folks might want to take into account.
Long-term, smoking weed is linked to breathing problems and, over time, lung damage. Pregnant folks who use cannabis areat risk of delivering a baby with a low birth weight.
And though cannabis overdoses arent fatal, too much can still send you to the emergency room especially with the ascent of edibles, which can pack a punch. Sometimes, the serving size isnt clear.
In adolescents and young adults, cannabis has been linked to poor memory and attention span. And for people who already have a history of psychosis, marijuana can trigger psychotic episodes.
Just as folks who overuse alcohol can develop alcohol use disorder, folks who use cannabis can develop marijuana use disorder, characterized by craving, withdrawal, lack of control and negative effects on personal and professional responsibilities.
The other challenge? We dont know nearly as much about cannabis as we do about alcohol. While we focus on THC, which provides the high, and CBD, there are more than 100 other unique chemical compounds called cannabinoids in the plant.
CBD, the cannabinoid that exploded in popularity after the 2018 farm bill loosened restrictions on hemp, has been touted by sellers as a miracle oil for everything from chronic pain to acne to depression. But there isnt research to back that all up.
For many years there was little or no funding for cannabis research, Collins said. And I dont know, maybe the feds thought, if we ignore it, it wont happen.
What it means is that were playing catch up. We have policies that have opened up medicinal and adult use of cannabis. And we dont understand many facets of the drug.
Theres no standard cannabis product. So when there is funding for cannabis research, the drug that is studied is different than many versions of the drug that might be on the street, or sold in stores. There might be a different ratio of THC to CBD. Or the studied drug might be less potent.
And, because recreational legalization of the drug is new, many folks dont get the same education about dosage and serving size that they might get about alcohol. Theres no one shot = one glass of wine = one glass of beer equivalent in the cannabis world.
Typically what is provided in a public health message is to start with lower THC and smaller amounts until you have a sense of how you react, Collins said.
Despite all the unknowns, the stigma around cannabis use has toned down. Public opinion has turned.
In 1969, just 12 percent of folks believed marijuana should be broadly legalized. In 2019, that number is 67 percent, according to the Pew Research Center.
Jason and Eleanor say most of their friends dont give their smoking a second thought.
Ive gotten more pushback for not drinking than for smoking weed, Eleanor said. I guess because the drinking culture is so ingrained.
Gretchen is an editor for Rewire. With past stints in public radio and at a rural daily newspaper, shes passionate about public media as a public service. Shes also into music and really good coffee. Follow her on Twitter @gretch_brown.
- Oncologists, Breast Cancer Patients Differ on Alternative Therapies - WebMD - June 20th, 2021
- What Are the Homeopathic Remedies for Ganglion Cysts? - Healthline - June 20th, 2021
- Covid stress: People turning to alternative therapies - Telangana Today - June 20th, 2021
- Headache pressure points on the feet: Pictures and science - Medical News Today - June 20th, 2021
- Alternative And Complementary Medicine Market 2021 Global Demand and Emerging Trends by 2028- Columbia Nutritional Inc., Herb Pharma, Herbal Hills ... - June 20th, 2021
- Deepak Chopra: Stress No 1 epidemic in our society pandemic an opportunity to reinvent body and soul - The Indian Express - June 20th, 2021
- Immune system dysfunction and cannabis use linked to psychosis - Health Europa - June 20th, 2021
- Integrative Health or Complementary and Alternative Medicine Market Is Thriving Worldwide with Aura Wellness, Intouch Clinic, Landmark Fitness Clark... - June 20th, 2021
- Yoga, a healthy activity for over 5000 years - Omniscience - June 20th, 2021
- Indian doctors protest herbal treatments being touted for COVID-19 - National Geographic - June 6th, 2021
- Deepak Chopra did LSD for the first time in a Harvard lab and felt his consciousness shift while staring at a photo of Mother Teresa - Yahoo News - June 6th, 2021
- Efficacy of traditional medicine to combat Covid-19 pandemic - ETHealthworld.com - June 6th, 2021
- Glasgow University bows to pressure and removes name of billionaire donors accused over US drugs catastrophe - The Sunday Post - June 6th, 2021
- Merck's KEYTRUDA (pembrolizumab) Given After Surgery Reduced the Risk of Disease Recurrence or Death by 32% Versus Placebo as Adjuvant Therapy in... - June 6th, 2021
- New Antipsychotic That Causes Less Weight Gain Gets FDA Approval - Everyday Health - June 6th, 2021
- 10 Pros And Cons Of Alternative Medicine Is Contemporary ... - June 2nd, 2021
- The Truth About Alternative Medical Treatments - June 2nd, 2021
- Alternative Medicine Pros and Cons - Alternative Health ... - June 2nd, 2021
- Integrative medicine: Find out what works - Mayo Clinic - June 2nd, 2021
- Top 100 Alternative Medicine Blogs and Websites in 2021 - June 2nd, 2021
- HISTORY OF ALTERNATIVE MEDICINE - The Complete Herbal Guide - June 2nd, 2021
- 21 Best Health And Alternative Medicine Websites - Must ... - June 2nd, 2021
- Benefits of Alternative Medicine - Everglades University - June 2nd, 2021
- Integrative medicine: Different techniques, one goal ... - June 2nd, 2021
- What are Popular Career Options in Alternative Medicine? - June 2nd, 2021
- Medicare slow to respond to seniors' increasing interest in alternative medicine - MedCity News - June 2nd, 2021
- Defining Complementary and Alternative Medicine ... - June 2nd, 2021
- A revolutionary gene therapy is bringing hope to UK parents - but it comes with a steep price tag - Euronews - June 2nd, 2021
- Texas veteran and state representative advocate for psychedelic therapy to treat veterans with PTSD - CBS19.tv KYTX - June 2nd, 2021
- Complementary And Alternative Medicine Market Impact and Recovery Analysis| Nordic Naturals, Helio USA, Yoga Tree, Pure Encapsulations, Inc KSU | The... - June 2nd, 2021
- Loncastuximab Tesirine Provides Alternative for Broad Range of Patients With DLBCL - OncLive - June 2nd, 2021
- The Mouth-Body Connection: This Dentist Is Breaking Down The Wall Between Medicine And Dentistry - Forbes - June 2nd, 2021
- 'Good' Bacteria Show Promise for Clinical Treatment of Crohn's Disease, Ulcerative Colitis | Newsroom - UNC Health and UNC School of Medicine - June 2nd, 2021
- Overview of Alternative Medicine Market by Recent Opportunities, Growth Size, Regional Analysis and Forecasts to 2026 Jumbo News - Jumbo News - June 2nd, 2021
- Global AYUSH and Alternative Medicine Market by Size, Key Players, Regional Trends and Growth Trends with Forecast 2021 to 2026 Sports Talk Line LLC... - June 2nd, 2021
- COVID-19: Meet doctor who developed cost-effective inhalation therapy - The Siasat Daily - June 2nd, 2021
- What Is Reiki And How Does It Work? - Forbes - June 2nd, 2021
- Natural Xanax Alternatives - Over the Counter Pills for Anxiety and Stress - L.A. Weekly - June 2nd, 2021
- What Lies Beneath: The Sorcerer's Apprentice and... : Emergency Medicine News - LWW Journals - June 2nd, 2021
- Telangana faces severe shortage of drug to treat black fungus infection - The News Minute - June 2nd, 2021
- Mind Scanners dev Malte Burup on forcing a game design onto a concept, the psychotherapy of the 1800s, and the player's struggle to become a hero -... - June 2nd, 2021
- Alternative Medicines Market: Increase in Inclination Toward Safe and Lesser Side Effects Boosts the Global Market KSU | The Sentinel Newspaper - KSU... - June 2nd, 2021
- Biologic Therapeutics Market Trends and Future Growth Opportunities Analysis Report - BioSpace - June 2nd, 2021
- Are supplements and alternative therapies all theyre cracked up to be? - Starts at 60 - May 22nd, 2021
- Complementary And Alternative Medicine Market | What Will The Industry Size & The Growth Rate Be in 2028 The Manomet Current - The Manomet... - May 22nd, 2021
- Adult acne: Causes, treatment, and prevention - Medical News Today - May 22nd, 2021
- Village in India turns to alternative medicine amid COVID-19 pandemic - SABC News - May 22nd, 2021
- TransMedia Group to Introduce Integrity Health Corp's Western Medicine Alternatives to Achieve Longer Lifespan with Improved Health Span - PRNewswire - May 22nd, 2021
- Is Veterinary Acupuncture Right for Your Pet? Here's what you need to know. - NBC 6 South Florida - May 22nd, 2021
- Bonus Offered for Early Registration of Medical Cannabis Patient Cards - West Virginia Department of Health and Human Resources - May 22nd, 2021
- Doctor, Doctor: Alternative Education and Career Paths in the Medical Field - eLearningInside News - May 22nd, 2021
- Updated Report of Complementary and Alternative Medicine Market with Current Trends, Drivers, Strategies, Applications and Competitive Landscape 2026 ... - May 22nd, 2021
- Deepak Chopra says he wants to bring awareness to psychedelics as a potential source of mind-body healing - CNBC - May 22nd, 2021
- Regenerative Medicine Market - Increasing Demand of Personalized Medicines and the Advancements in Technology Drive the Market | TMR Research Study -... - May 22nd, 2021
- Lamar Odom Reborn: New Documentary Follows NBA Athlete's Journey to Beat Addiction and Anxiety Through the Use of Psychedelic Medicines - PRNewswire - May 22nd, 2021
- Global Cell Therapy Market Report 2021 Featuring Key Innovators Such as JCR Pharmaceuticals, NuVasive, Medipost, Vericel, and Avantor - Market to... - May 22nd, 2021
- Sonu Sood asks why are doctors recommending unavailable medicines to patients: 'How will a common man get them?' - Hindustan Times - May 22nd, 2021
- electroCore, Inc. Celebrates Veterans and Active Members of the Military During National Military Appreciation Month - Business Wire - May 22nd, 2021
- Jess Ainscough was Australias first alternative medicine influencer. Her story ended tragically. - Mamamia - May 22nd, 2021
- Complementary And Alternative Medicine Market Popular Trends & Technological Advancements To Watch Out For Near Future with COVID-19 Impact... - April 27th, 2021
- The Superiority Of Alternative Medicine: The Life Of A Hotel Doctor | By Mike Oppenheim Hospitality Net - Hospitality Net - April 27th, 2021
- Balancing Integrative and Conventional Approaches to Dermatologic Care - MD Magazine - April 27th, 2021
- ESIC Medical College and Hospital, Faridabad announces Positive Results of a clinical study evaluating Nisarga Herbs' Neem Capsules for Prevention of... - April 27th, 2021
- The 7 Incredible Evidence-Based Health Benefits of Dates - The Beet - April 27th, 2021
- With a third of its capital deployed, Risk & Return is transforming how we think about emergency response - TechCrunch - April 27th, 2021
- Just like Ministers, MLAs and bureaucrats, boost your immunity with this alternative medicine - Asianet Newsable - April 27th, 2021
- COVID-19 Information: Can nebuliser be used as an alternative to oxygen cylinder and concentrator? Know here - Jagran English - April 27th, 2021
- AYUSH and Alternative Medicine Market Size, Demand, Growth Innovation, Trends, Region, Forecasts to 2026 | Baidyanath, Patanjali, Himalya Herbals,... - April 27th, 2021
- Riociguat May Be Useful Alternative to PDE5i Therapy in Pulmonary Arterial Hypertension - Pulmonology Advisor - April 27th, 2021
- The Medical Wellness Market To Grow In Direct Proportion With Innovations KSU | The Sentinel Newspaper - KSU | The Sentinel Newspaper - April 27th, 2021
- Years Later, the Decision to Walk Away from Aromatase Inhibitors Has Worked for Me - Curetoday.com - April 27th, 2021
- Future Scope of Alternative And Complementary Medicine Market by Key Segments, Growth Size, Emerging Trends and Forecast to 2026 Clark County Blog -... - April 27th, 2021
- Global Complementary and Alternative Medicine Market Research Report 2021 Growth Share, Trends, Opportunities, Outlook & Forecast 2026 ... - April 27th, 2021
- Mindfulness Meditation Apps Market | Know the Trends have the Potential to bring Expansive Market Growth - BioSpace - April 27th, 2021
- The Veteran Detectives Probe a Case Involving Cryopreservation and Alternative Medicine on New Tricks - Shockya.com - April 19th, 2021
- Can alternative medicine systems like Ayurveda be tapped to fight Covid-19? - Sambad English - April 19th, 2021
- A promising development in the fight against Covid - Bangkok Post - April 19th, 2021
- Pooja Bedi tweets her defence when asked if she's qualified to give medical advice, endorses alternative medicine - Hindustan Times - April 19th, 2021
- It's Dog Parent Appreciation Day, Here Are 5 Vet-Recommended Ways to Strengthen Your Bond With Your Dog - PRNewswire - April 19th, 2021
- The School of Alternative Medicine has suggested an offer to the students of Cobach Diario Chiapas Hoy - Sunday Vision - April 19th, 2021