Fake News and Conspiracy Theories in the Age of Trump, a talk by investigative journalist Michael R. Isikoff, will be offered via Zoom webinar Tuesday, Oct. 20 by Ripon College.
The talk will run from 6:30 to 7:45 p.m. Registration is available at ripon.edu/fake-news.
A post-event recording will be available on YouTube at go.ripon.edu/p1a.
The event is sponsored by the Center for Politics and the People, with funding by the Menard Center for the Study of Institutions and Innovation at the University of Wisconsin-Stout.
Isikoff is an investigative journalist and chief investigative correspondent at Yahoo! News.
The moderators will be professor of communication Steve Martin, Ripon Class of 1996, and Henrik Schatzinger, associate professor of politics and government and co-director of the Center for Politics and People.
Isikoff will highlight the importance of a free press in a democracy. He also will address other topics and issues related to the media and the press during the Trump administration such as the idea of fake news and its impact on the election cycle.
Formerly, Isikoff was a national investigative correspondent for Newsweek and NBC, where he reported on politics and government scandals such as the abuse in Abu Ghraib and Bill Clintons involvement with Monica Lewinsky.
He also is the author of Uncovering Clinton: A Reporters Story and Hubris: The Inside Story of Spin, Scandal, and the Selling of the Iraq War, and the coauthor of Russian Roulette: The Inside Story of Putins War on America and the Election of Donald Trump.
See the original post here:
- Fake news and science denier attacks on vaccines. What can you do? - DocWire News - January 17th, 2021
- On the Record, Jan. 16, 2021: Media and fake news - WRAL.com - January 17th, 2021
- Rob Lowe on Whether That Prince Harry Ponytail Story Was 'Fake News' - Extra - January 17th, 2021
- NAACP says Viral Warnings About Threats of Violence is "Fake News" - caribbeannationalweekly.com - January 17th, 2021
- Ravish Kumar apologises for spreading fake news about paddy procurement by govt after letter to NDTV by PIB: Here is what he said - OpIndia - January 17th, 2021
- "The suggestion street races will not take place are completely wrong"- F1 calls Monaco GP cancellation... - The Sportsrush - January 17th, 2021
- Level 4 lockdown message on WhatsApp slammed as fake news - IOL - January 17th, 2021
- Anyone can fall for 'fake news,' conspiracy theories: The psychology of misinformation - USA TODAY - January 15th, 2021
- Totally Not Fake News: The Burning Question of Our Time - Battle Red Blog - January 15th, 2021
- RRC commissioner vents at France, fake news and the woke [Opinion] - Houston Chronicle - January 15th, 2021
- Alarm in UK over fake news prompting non-whites to reject Covid vaccination - Hindustan Times - January 15th, 2021
- Fake US leg band gets pigeon a reprieve in Australia - ABC News - January 15th, 2021
- Why fake news is here to stay - Washington Times - January 15th, 2021
- Lena urges to stop spreading fake news; shares that she hasnt tested positive for COVID-19 - Times of India - January 15th, 2021
- Fake News Alert! The Viral Picture Of Anushka Sharma With Her Newborn Is A Stock Image - Mashable India - January 15th, 2021
- Church cautions constituency not to be misled by fake news over Covid-19 vaccine - Independent Online - January 15th, 2021
- Media reports on closure of All India Radio stations are fake news: Prasar Bharati - Northeast Now - January 15th, 2021
- The Ferguson Report: Fake news you can trust - The New Daily - January 15th, 2021
- CBSE Board Exam 2021: Only those passing Pre-Board to get admit card? Here's the truth - India TV News - January 15th, 2021
- Covid fake news can be fatal, govts need to step in: Study - The Tribune India - December 29th, 2020
- Conservative Twitter users dominate the discussion of fake news about the coronavirus, study finds - PsyPost - December 29th, 2020
- Fake News Buster: Vaccines have only helped to save lives - Bangalore Mirror - December 29th, 2020
- Alternative facts, witch-hunt, bigly: the Trump era in 32 words and phrases - The Guardian - December 29th, 2020
- FAKE NEWS | SANDF denies claims that members' leave is cancelled due to Covid-19 surge - News24 - December 29th, 2020
- Totally Not Fake News: Texans Stars Punished for Violation of COVID Protocols, Filing Appeal - Battle Red Blog - December 29th, 2020
- @RealSanta: Perfect Christmas expected at N. Pole, all that other stuff is 'Fake News' - KCAW - December 29th, 2020
- Actor Sushant Singh continues to share fake news, this time lies about the release of suspended cop DSP Davinder Singh - OpIndia - December 29th, 2020
- The FBI, Comic Pros and the Fake News Controversy of the 1964 Election - Bleeding Cool News - December 29th, 2020
- A Tale as old as Time: Proliferation of 'fake news' may have even preceded the birth of Christ | Recto Mercene - Business Mirror - December 29th, 2020
- The Hindu journalist accused of publishing fake news because his wife was not given insurance business: Details - OpIndia - December 29th, 2020
- Hitting two birds with one stone: China develops fake news factories to fill the information vacuum and curb - DNA India - December 29th, 2020
- Problem posed by disinformation online increasingly serious, says BBC boss - The Independent - December 29th, 2020
- Congress trolls trying to shield Rahul Gandhi left red faced after party confirms Wayanad MP is on vacation - OpIndia - December 29th, 2020
- The steady growth of unreliable news sites is an addition to the list of terrible things that happened in 2020 - Digital Information World - December 29th, 2020
- Mboweni responds to reports of hard lockdown in SA: 'Fake news' - Briefly - December 29th, 2020
- Poor numerical literacy linked to greater susceptibility to Covid-19 fake news - The Guardian - October 20th, 2020
- Trump duped by fake news story of Twitter going down to protect Biden - Global News - October 20th, 2020
- REFILE-'Not fake news:' COVID-19 cases surge in Wisconsin ahead of Trump campaign rally - Reuters - October 20th, 2020
- 'Manipulated and fake': NTA rubbishes news claiming topper in ST category was given wrong 'failed' result in NEET - The New Indian Express - October 20th, 2020
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Beware of Fake News On City Council Races - Odessa American - October 20th, 2020
- Misinformation Is Hyperlocal. Attempts to Counter It Should Be, Too. - Foreign Policy - October 20th, 2020
- We're launching an election-season ad campaign to fight fake news, and we need your help - USA TODAY - September 18th, 2020
- Conspiracy mentality linked to the acceptance of fake news about science - PsyPost - September 18th, 2020
- Letter: No need to rely on fake news and ignore good Trump news - Thehour.com - September 18th, 2020
- Man falsely accused of shooting deputies received threats - Los Angeles Times - September 18th, 2020
- Technology has given amazing possibilities of communication but fake news remains a concern - India TV News - September 18th, 2020
- With the election campaign underway, can the law protect voters from fake news and conspiracy theories? - The Conversation AU - September 18th, 2020
- 'The Social Dilemma': Netflix's documentary and what it means for startups - EU-Startups - September 18th, 2020
- Think more, share less: How to avoid falling for misinformation, disinformation and fake news - KING5.com - September 18th, 2020
- Election fake news weekly report to monitor New Zealand campaigning - RNZ - September 18th, 2020
- Fake news of Rafale crash circulated in Pakistan using bogus handles - THE WEEK - September 18th, 2020
- MHA says migration during COVID-19 lockdown was triggered by fake news about its duration - The New Indian Express - September 18th, 2020
- People are injecting themselves with bleach because of fake news, says senior MP - Telegraph.co.uk - July 21st, 2020
- Turning Fake News on its Head: Stalin Lives Again to Reveal Deep Truth - Canada NewsWire - July 21st, 2020
- Wake up, America; discount the fake news - News from southeastern Connecticut - theday.com - July 21st, 2020
- [Webinar] #FreeSpeech: Perspectives from the UK and the US on Social Media Liability for Fake News, Damaging Content and Censorship - July 29th, 9:00... - July 21st, 2020