FORT WORTH With an unwelcome assist from the COVID-19 pandemic, IndyCars traditionally lengthy offseason will have reached 258 consecutive days when the green flag drops on the 2020 season-opening Genesys 300 at Texas Motor Speedway on Saturday.
Josef Newgardens victory in last summers night race on TMS 1.5-mile oval helped propel the Team Penske ace to his second NTT IndyCar Series championship in three years at the season finale in Monterey, Calif., on Sept. 22.
Start the clock.
The global pandemic that has marked the end of the innocence for American spectator sports began in early March. Widespread public health concerns prompted sanctioning body IndyCar to revise, reshuffle and reduce its original schedule from 17 to 14 races, move the tradition-rich running of the 104th Indianapolis 500 from May into the dog days of August, and devise a rigid set of social distancing protocols.
As a result of the latter, the Genesys 300 billed as Americas Original Nighttime IndyCar Race since its debut in 1997 will become the first series event run without fans watching in the grandstands.
Yeah, its a strange time, right? said Newgarden, a 29-year-old native of Nashville. I think its been tough for everybody right now, regardless of what industry or way of life youre operating in. A lot of things have been taken away, our passions and our jobs a bit altered. Its going to be a new world for us racing here.
Responding to public health concerns, the race has been shortened from 248 laps to 200. IndyCar will operate a condensed schedule with practice, qualifying and the race on the same day. Teams are scheduled to take the green flag at 7:10 p.m., with network broadcast coverage on NBC starting at 7 p.m. NBC Sports Network is scheduled to air a half-hour preview at 6:30 p.m.
We have some tasks at hand; we know what they are, said Newgarden, who will carry the No. 1 on his Team Penske Chevrolet as reigning champion. I know the first couple of weeks of this lockdown in the United States, it felt quite hopeless. Now we feel pretty positive that we have something to work towards.
Indeed, in his role as promoter extraordinaire, TMS President and General Manager Eddie Gossage recently dubbed the Genesys 300 one of the most important races IndyCar has ever held, adding, People are starving for sports programming, so theres an opportunity to have strong TV ratings around the country and around the globe.
Newgarden and popular Canadian driver James Hinchcliffe said they have watched NASCARs three major touring series make successful returns, without fans, at Darlington Raceway and Charlotte Motor Speedway since May 17. Drivers, crewmen and officials have been wearing masks while social distancing on pit road and even during TV interviews.
Its been actually quite fun to watch the NASCAR guys, Newgarden said. Were going to be looking to do much of the same.
Similarly to NASCAR, Newgarden and Hinchcliffe agreed the Genesys 300 is likely to draw curious first-time viewers to the open-wheel series.
Do I think its a hallmark day for the series? Yeah, absolutely, said Hinchcliffe, 33, whose three-race deal in an Andretti Autosport Honda is being sponsored by Genesys. Do I think its a make-or-break day? No, not really. I think IndyCar racing is going to get back to what we do, and thats going to continue for years to come regardless. Certainly we want this to be a successful race. We want it to be a good show. Were on network in prime time. Theres a lot of reasons that we really want this one to go well.
But you know, Eddie needs to make it sound like its the biggest race in history, so that way more people tune in and thats totally fair.
Newgarden noted the TMS night race, typically featuring razor-thin finishes, has evolved into must-see TV.
Its always had a storied place in IndyCar history, Newgarden said. But in these current situations, without a doubt its going to be a very important event for us. Is it the most important event in IndyCar history? I have no idea if it is or not.
It will be, for sure, an event to get right. A lot of pressure. But I think everyone involved will really be able to rise to the occasion and do a great job.
John Sturbin is a senior writer at RacinToday.com, based in Fort Worth. He can be contacted at firstname.lastname@example.org.
For more sports coverage from The Dallas Morning News, click here.
Read the original:
- Trade finance technology: New funding to help BuyCo link TMS with trade finance - JOC.com - February 22nd, 2021
- Reimagining the TMS for the age of e-commerce - DC Velocity - February 22nd, 2021
- Extreme weather postpones season opening TMS Dirt Track event - Speedway Digest - February 22nd, 2021
- Research Moz Releases New Report on the TMS(Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation) Coil Market 2021-2030 NY Market Reports - NY Market Reports - February 22nd, 2021
- Real-time Truckload Rates from Estes Forwarding Worldwide (EFW) Available to More than 25,000 Shippers in Kuebix - PRNewswire - February 22nd, 2021
- Jujutsu Kaisen Chat With Ray Chase, Voice of Sukuna - The Mary Sue - February 22nd, 2021
- Emerging Neuromodulation Technologies Enabling Growth Opportunities in Mental Health Care - ResearchAndMarkets.com - Business Wire - February 22nd, 2021
- Transcranial Magnetic Stimulators (TMS) Market Analysis Of Trends, Demand And Competition 2021-2026 | Neuronetics, Yiruide, Brainsway, Neurosoft,... - February 22nd, 2021
- Small Fleets Drive EKA Cloud-Based TMS Growth - Heavy Duty Trucking - February 12th, 2021
- DAT and Axele Announce Partnership to Expand Load Board and TMS Integration - SupplyChainBrain - February 12th, 2021
- Hodge enjoys showing TMS students how history connects to their lives - The Thomasville Times - February 12th, 2021
- Denton County cancels Thursdays vaccination clinic at Texas Motor Speedway due to weather - The Dallas Morning News - February 12th, 2021
- Covid-19 impact on High-intensity Focused Ultrasound (HIFU) Treatment Market Key Vendors, Regional Analysis and Competitive Landscape Forecast by... - February 12th, 2021
- Birds of Prey Director Cathy Yan on Her Debut Film Dead Pigs - The Mary Sue - February 12th, 2021
- Real-time pricing vs. spot pricing: Whats the difference? - FreightWaves - February 12th, 2021
- Significant' High Court backing for adjudication in construction - Law Society of Ireland Gazette - February 12th, 2021
- Transcranial Magnetic Stimulators (TMS) Market 2021 Analysis, Industry Size, Share Leaders, Current Status by Major vendors and Trends by Forecast to... - February 12th, 2021
- Neuro Wellness TMS Centers of America In Coral Springs Offers Breakthrough Treatment Of Depression, Anxiety, and Other Disorders - TAPinto.net - February 6th, 2021
- Pandemic spurs scientists to look closer at an experimental treatment for severe depression - CTV News - February 6th, 2021
- 40% of TMS teachers are vaccinated - Saipan Tribune - February 6th, 2021
- Axele hits outstanding milestone of 10000 loads since introduction less than 90 says ago - American Journal of Transportation - February 6th, 2021
- Best Comprehensive Report on Treasury Management System (TMS) Market 2021-2027| Cisco, Everbridge, HPE (Aruba), Cloud4Wi, Signify (Philips), CARTO ... - February 6th, 2021
- New Dawn TMS Psychiatry with Their FDA Approved TMS Therapy Offers Holistic Psychiatric Care - Press Release - Digital Journal - February 6th, 2021
- The New World of Logistics - PRNewswire - February 6th, 2021
- MEGALOBOX 2: NOMAD to Premiere in April 2021 on TOKYO MX & BS11 - Business Wire - February 6th, 2021
- Across Systems' Gerd Janiszewski on Selling the TMS Provider to Volaris Group - Slator - January 29th, 2021
- Global Transportation Management System Market Report 2021: Opportunities in the Increasing Adoption of Cloud-Based Technology and Industry 4.0 -... - January 29th, 2021
- Axele Hits Outstanding Milestone of 10000 Loads Since Introduction Less Than 90 Days Ago - CSCMP's Supply Chain Quarterly - January 29th, 2021
- He's Been Fighting To Improve Mental Health Service In Coral Springs And Across The Nation - TAPinto.net - January 29th, 2021
- Global Treasury Management System (TMS) Market Detailed analysis of current Industry figures with forecasts growth by 2028 | Top Players; Oracle,... - January 29th, 2021
- Transfix Launches TrueView TMS, Offering Shippers Flexible, Consistent Capacity And Reducing Time To Tender By Up To 92% - PR Web - January 19th, 2021
- Agnew's dressing gown and Bumble's dog: it's TMS and Sky Cricket, but not as we know it - Telegraph.co.uk - January 19th, 2021
- Greenbrook TMS Provides Update on Share Consolidation and Appointment of Stephan Roker to the Board - Yahoo Finance - January 19th, 2021
- Part two: FX and hedging for SMEs - between a rock and a hard place - Finextra - January 19th, 2021
- Transcranial Magnetic Stimulators (TMS) Market Size By Analysis, Key Vendors, Regions, Type and Application, and Forecasts to 2027 - NeighborWebSJ - January 19th, 2021
- TMS Neuronavigation Systems Market Size By Analysis, Key Vendors, Regions, Type and Application, and Forecasts to 2027 - NeighborWebSJ - January 19th, 2021
- Transportation Management Systems (TMS) Industry 2020 Includes The Major Application Segments And Size In The Global Market To 2027 - NeighborWebSJ - January 19th, 2021
- Tire Mold Market 2021 financial overview of the Players such as Saehwa IMC, SeYoung TMS, King Machine, HERBERT Maschinen, Shinko Mold Industrial - KSU... - January 19th, 2021
- EnviroChill Saves Bakery from Food Disaster with New Technology - Press Release - Digital Journal - January 19th, 2021
- Lady Bulldogs Undefeated in Region Play - All On Georgia - January 19th, 2021
- Neuro Wellness TMS Centers of America in Coral Springs: There Is Relief For Depression - TAPinto.net - January 17th, 2021
- Greenbrook TMS Provides Update on Share Consolidation and Appointment of Stephan Roker to the Board - Business Wire - January 17th, 2021
- Dry Well Calibrators Market | Industry Insight 2021-2026 Covered players: Fluke, Wika Instrumentation, TMS, Electronic Development Laboratories, OMEGA... - January 17th, 2021
- Treating Major Depressive Disorder: A Lesson through the Ages - News & Features - January 5th, 2021
- Digital Piano Market 2021 to 2026 Insights & Forecast with COVID-19 Impact | Yamaha , Long Beach Music , Hamzer , Casio , TMS , and more |... - January 5th, 2021
- Technology Enhancements to the QuantaVerse Financial Crime Platform Extend its Lead in AML Innovation - PR Web - January 5th, 2021
- Transportation Management System (Tms) Market with Future Prospects, Growth, Industry Expansion Strategies, Key Player SWOT Analysis and Forecast To... - January 5th, 2021
- Trucking in 2020: A look back the year's top news, equipment and tech trends - Commercial Carrier Journal - January 5th, 2021
- Waste Collection (Waste and Recycling) Software Market Competitive landscape, Growth Strategies for Business Development, Analysis and Forecast,... - January 5th, 2021
- EDAP Announces End of the Year Focal One Sales - GlobeNewswire - January 5th, 2021
- BrainsWay Announces Publication of New Real-World OCD Data for its Deep TMS System in Journal of Psychiatric Research - GlobeNewswire - November 17th, 2020
- Transportation Management Systems (TMS) Market Size, Share, Growth Rate, Revenue, Applications, Industry Demand & Forecast to 2025 - The Think... - November 17th, 2020
- Hudson Capital and FreightHub Merge - Citybizlist - November 17th, 2020
- TMS students recognized as Blazers of the Quarter - The Torrington Telegram - November 15th, 2020
- Greenbrook TMS Reports Third Quarter Financial Results With Continued Resilient Performance Through the COVID-19 Pandemic, Announces Spravato Pilot... - November 15th, 2020
- BrainsWay Announces Publication of New Real-World OCD Data for its Deep TMS System in Journal of Psychiatric Research - Yahoo Finance - November 15th, 2020
- Freight Scouts Transforms Broker Operations with Descartes' Cloud-based Solution - DC Velocity - November 15th, 2020
- EDAP TMS SA to Announce Third Quarter 2020 Financial Results on November 18, 2020 - Yahoo Finance - November 15th, 2020
- Tenino Middle School Honored as AVID 'Site of Distinction' for Showing Marked Improvement in Past Three Years - Centralia Chronicle - November 15th, 2020
- Freight Scouts Transforms Broker Operations with Cloud-based Transportation Management and Load Tracking Visibility Solution from Descartes - IT News... - November 15th, 2020
- Five Keys to Overcoming the Barriers that Limit Dedicated Fleet Productivity - Supply Chain Management Review - November 15th, 2020
- Odyssey Logistics & Technology TMS Study Reveals Insights Amid the Pandemic on Logistics Technology and Market Conditions - PR Web - August 19th, 2020
- BulkLoads TMS product for bulk commodities will be integrated into Barchart - FreightWaves - August 19th, 2020
- Toyota Kirloskar Motor new car leasing & subscription Program through TMS - United News of India - August 19th, 2020
- Treasury Management System (TMS) Market Size By Product Analysis, By Application, By End-Users, By Regional Outlook, By Top Companies and Forecast to... - August 19th, 2020
- For those in Salem with depression, new clinic provides another resource for treatment - Salem Reporter - July 25th, 2020
- Global TMS(Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation) Coil Market 2020 Industry Analysis, Size, Share, Growth, Trend and Forecast to 2025 - Red & Black... - July 25th, 2020
- ORANGEBURG PROPERTY TRANSFERS - The Times and Democrat - July 25th, 2020
- Your Healthy Family: Getting help with the stress of uncertainty during a pandemic - KOAA.com Colorado Springs and Pueblo News - July 25th, 2020
- Mauritius club fined for not doing the TMS paperwork - Inside World Football - July 25th, 2020
- Coronavirus: Fifa gives Safa the power to extend the 2019-20 PSL season - Yahoo Sports - July 25th, 2020
- Neurostimulation may herald a new treatment for depression - The Conversation CA - July 25th, 2020
- Global Transportation Management Systems (TMS) Market 2020 Industry Research Manufacturer Landscape, Revenue and Volume Analysis and Segment... - July 25th, 2020
- Racin' Today Dillon Answers 'Haters' With Victory In Texas - RacinToday.com - July 25th, 2020
- Live TMS Treatment from NeuroSpa TMS - WFLA - July 15th, 2020
- Strategy Systems Expands Integration with Trucker Tools, adds Book It Now to TMS Platform - DC Velocity - July 15th, 2020
- ARL Logistics Taps Trucker Tools for Smart Capacity Predictive Freight-Matching, Automated One-Click Load Booking with Book It Now - PR Web - July 15th, 2020
- Global Transportation Management System (TMS) Market 2020: Size, Share, Revenue, Growth, Supply, Top Companies and Forecast Research 2025 - Sports... - July 15th, 2020
- Coupa acquires BELLIN, targeting treasury management (Part 2: TMS Market, Competitors and TAM / Market-Sizing Considerations) - Spend Matters - June 24th, 2020
- Archerhub Launches ALVUS TMS to help Carrier Partners Grow their Businesses - DC Velocity - June 24th, 2020