A leading Indian industry body urged authorities to take the strongest national steps and to curtail economic activity to save lives on Sunday as the country battles surging coronavirus cases that have overwhelmed the healthcare system.
The rate of new infections dipped marginally but deaths kept climbing. Authorities reported 392,488 new cases in the previous 24 hours, pushing total cases to 19.56 million. Deaths jumped by a record 3,689, taking the overall toll to 215,542.
Billionaire Uday Kotak, managing director of Kotak Mahindra Bank (KTKM.NS), said a "maximal response measure at the highest level is called for to cut the transmission links", as building healthcare infrastructure will take time.
He was speaking on behalf of the Confederation of Indian Industry (CII), where he is the president.
"At this critical juncture when toll of lives is rising, CII urges the strongest national steps including curtailing economic activity to reduce suffering, Kotak said in a statement.
Hospitals have filled to capacity, medical oxygen supplies have run short and morgues and crematoriums have been swamped as the country deals with the surge in cases: more than 300,000 daily cases for more than 10 days straight.
Concerned about the economic impact of shutting down the economy, Prime Minister Narendra Modi's government is reluctant to impose a national lockdown. At least 11 states and union territories have imposed some form of restrictions.
The Indian Express newspaper reported on Sunday that the country's COVID-19 taskforce has advised the federal government to impose a national lockdown.
Men walk past burning pyres of persons who died due to the coronavirus disease (COVID-19), at a crematorium ground in Tavarekere on the outskirts of Bengaluru, India, May 2, 2021. REUTERS/Samuel Rajkumar
The eastern state of Odisha and northern industrial state Haryana became the latest to announce new lockdowns on Sunday, joining Delhi, Maharashtra, Karnataka and West Bengal.
Other states, including Uttar Pradesh, Telangana, Assam, Andhra Pradesh and Rajasthan have either imposed night curfews or weekend lockdowns.
Modi said last month all efforts should be made be avoid a lockdown. He imposed strict curbs on movement and social and economic activity last year in the early months of the pandemic and economic output fell a record 24% in April-June 2020 compared with the same period a year earlier.
The current devastating second wave has also led to a shortfall in medical staff. Kotak also said healthcare workers may not be able to tackle the influx of patients, given the escalating caseloads, and they need reinforcing.
International aid has been pouring in.
Countries including United States have shipped in critical oxygen equipment, therapeutics and raw materials for vaccine production. On Sunday, British Foreign Secretary Dominic Raab said his country would send more ventilators very shortly.
Modi's government has been criticised for not taking steps earlier to curb the spread and for letting millions of largely unmasked people attend religious festivals and crowded political rallies in five states during March and April.
Reuters reported on Saturday that a forum of scientific advisers set up by the government warned Indian officials in early March of a new and more contagious variant of the coronavirus taking hold in the country.
Our Standards: The Thomson Reuters Trust Principles.
- As COVID-19 surges again, what experts say about the millions of unvaccinated - ABC News - July 16th, 2021
- COVID-19: What you need to know about the coronavirus pandemic on 16 July - World Economic Forum - July 16th, 2021
- Athens area COVID-19 update: Oconee leads in vaccinated %, Barrow has most new infections - Online Athens - July 16th, 2021
- Doctors Online Provided Lifeline From Afar While Covid-19 Swept Through India - The Wall Street Journal - July 16th, 2021
- Sources - Aaron Judge among six New York Yankees to test positive for COVID-19 - ESPN - July 16th, 2021
- Panel approves spending of nearly $1B in COVID-19 relief - Associated Press - July 16th, 2021
- COVID-19 heightened racial issues in the US: Report - ABC News - July 16th, 2021
- COVID-19 Daily Update 7-15-2021 - West Virginia Department of Health and Human Resources - July 16th, 2021
- Rhode Island to close 6 school COVID-19 testing sites - Associated Press - July 16th, 2021
- COVID-19 pandemic leads to major backsliding on childhood vaccinations, new WHO - UNICEF - July 16th, 2021
- Two NFL teams remain under the 50 percent COVID-19 vaccination threshold, per report - CBS Sports - July 16th, 2021
- State and Local Governments: Fiscal Conditions During the COVID-19 Pandemic in Selected States - Government Accountability Office - July 16th, 2021
- Clues About MIS-C and COVID-19 in Kids - The Atlantic - July 16th, 2021
- U.S. COVID-19 cases more than double in two weeks as delta variant spreads fast, and WHO warns 'pandemic nowhere near finished' - MarketWatch - July 16th, 2021
- Inslee to announce winner of $1 million COVID-19 vaccine lottery prize today - KING5.com - July 16th, 2021
- Lost Your COVID-19 Vaccination Card? Use this Handy App to Retrieve Your Info County of Union, New Jersey - UCNJ.org - July 16th, 2021
- A Breathalyzer to Detect Covid-19? Scientists Are on It. - The New York Times - July 16th, 2021
- Inslee rescinds two proclamations related to the COVID-19 pandemic | Governor Jay Inslee - Governor Jay Inslee - July 14th, 2021
- In Cuba, Covid-19 Stress Pushes Unrest to the Edge - The Wall Street Journal - July 14th, 2021
- COVID-19 Daily Update 7-14-2021 - West Virginia Department of Health and Human Resources - July 14th, 2021
- EXPLAINER: Are we going to need COVID-19 booster shots? - NEWS10 ABC - July 14th, 2021
- Covid-19 Vaccines Are Becoming Mandatory in Parts of China - The Wall Street Journal - July 14th, 2021
- Will COVID-19 change science? Past pandemics offer clues - Science Magazine - July 14th, 2021
- Guests leave Singapore cruise after nearly 3000 confined onboard over COVID-19 case - Reuters - July 14th, 2021
- Unvaccinated may require tougher tactics amid COVID-19 surge - Los Angeles Times - July 14th, 2021
- COVID Cases In Parts Of Missouri And Arkansas Surge To Levels Not Seen Since Winter - NPR - July 14th, 2021
- Tourism not contributing to surge of COVID-19 infections in Greece - Reuters - July 14th, 2021
- This Brazillian Med Student Is Unlocking Mysteries Of The Covid-19 Infodemic - Forbes - July 14th, 2021
- University Awarded $1.4M To Address Impacts Of COVID-19 News Center - Montclaire News - July 14th, 2021
- China to start giving COVID-19 shots to teenagers this month - Reuters - July 14th, 2021
- Dutch COVID-19 infections soar by 500% in a week - Associated Press - July 14th, 2021
- South Africas Looting, Violence Reflect Inequalities Exacerbated by Covid-19 Pandemic - The Wall Street Journal - July 14th, 2021
- Greene's Deceptive Claims of Forced COVID-19 Vaccinations and Vaccination 'Deaths' - FactCheck.org - July 14th, 2021
- What's the best way to protect young Virginians from COVID-19? Experts say it's getting more adults immunized. - Fauquier Times - July 14th, 2021
- He wished he had gotten the vaccine: Local man battling COVID-19 from ICU for months - WSB Atlanta - July 14th, 2021
- Ivermectin for Prevention and Treatment of COVID-19... : American Journal of Therapeutics - LWW Journals - July 14th, 2021
- The Red/Blue Divide in COVID-19 Vaccination Rates is Growing - Kaiser Family Foundation - July 10th, 2021
- COVID-19 Daily Update 7-9-2021 - West Virginia Department of Health and Human Resources - July 10th, 2021
- COVID-19 In Maryland: More Than 100 New Cases Reported Friday - CBS Baltimore - July 10th, 2021
- COVID-19 outbreak in Kitsap jail infected 13 inmates, three remain in isolation - Kitsap Sun - July 10th, 2021
- COVID-19 Daily Update 7-8-2021 - West Virginia Department of Health and Human Resources - July 10th, 2021
- COVID-19 vaccination clinic schedule for the week of July 12 - City of Fort Worth - July 10th, 2021
- WV DHHR: COVID-19 Daily Update 7-7-2021 - West Virginia Department of Health and Human Resources - July 10th, 2021
- WHO recommends life-saving interleukin-6 receptor blockers for COVID-19 and urges producers to join efforts to rapidly increase access - World Health... - July 10th, 2021
- A VCU-led study conducted early in COVID-19 could help confront the next health crisis - VCU News - June 30th, 2021
- Mass. Making a Series of Changes to Its COVID-19 Reporting Dashboard - NBC10 Boston - June 30th, 2021
- COVID-19 Daily Update 6-30-2021 - West Virginia Department of Health and Human Resources - June 30th, 2021
- Health Workforce in COVID-19 Action Series: Time to Protect. Invest. Together. - World Health Organization - June 30th, 2021
- Oil to sustain surprise rally despite Iran, third COVID-19 wave threat: Reuters poll - Reuters - June 30th, 2021
- COVID-19: What you need to know about the coronavirus pandemic on 30 June - World Economic Forum - June 30th, 2021
- EUAs And The FDAS Fight Against COVID-19: An Evolving Landscape - JD Supra - June 30th, 2021
- How The CDCs Blindspots Complicated The Fight Against COVID-19 - FiveThirtyEight - June 30th, 2021
- Cancer Detection, Surgical Treatments Negatively Impacted by COVID-19 Pandemic - Pharmacy Times - June 30th, 2021
- Heart inflammation after COVID-19 shots higher than expected in study of U.S. military - Reuters - June 30th, 2021
- 99% of WNBA vaccinated against COVID-19, but what about other sports leagues? - WKRN News 2 - June 30th, 2021
- Florence Nightingale in the age of Covid-19 - STAT - June 30th, 2021
- PCR tests for COVID-19 to be offered at Wichitas Dwight D. Eisenhower National Airport - KSN-TV - June 30th, 2021
- Euro 2020 linked to almost 2,000 Scottish COVID-19 cases - The Athletic - June 30th, 2021
- US had nearly 17 million undiagnosed COVID-19 cases in early months of pandemic: Study - ABC News - June 30th, 2021
- Public Health Officials Announce More Than 80 COVID-19 Cases Now Associated with Youth Camp Outbreak | IDPH - IDPH - June 28th, 2021
- Texas A&M COVID-19 Transmission Study Expands To Adults Ages 18-29 - Texas A&M Today - Texas A&M University Today - June 28th, 2021
- Share of COVID-19 cases caused by more infectious Delta variant more than double in Germany - Reuters - June 28th, 2021
- Treatment study in Austin seeking people currently infected with COVID-19 - KXAN.com - June 28th, 2021
- What to Know About COVID-19 and Epilepsy - Healthline - June 28th, 2021
- Testing Remains a Critical Piece in Fighting COVID-19 | Utah Department of Health - Utah Department of Health - June 28th, 2021
- 95% of those who've died from COVID-19 in Wisconsin since March weren't vaccinated or fully vaccinated, officials say - Milwaukee Journal Sentinel - June 28th, 2021
- Trauma Patients with COVID-19 Face Greater Risk of Complications and Death - pennmedicine.org - June 28th, 2021
- When will the COVID-19 pandemic end? Experts say it may not - KTVB.com - June 28th, 2021
- Diabetes Reversal Leader Virta Health Demonstrates Promising Results on Mitigating COVID-19 Severity for People with Type 2 Diabetes - Business Wire - June 28th, 2021
- Eager to Go Overseas This Summer? A Covid-19 Vaccine Will Help - The Wall Street Journal - June 28th, 2021
- Dapaglifozin Found to be Well-Tolerated in Hospitalized Patients With COVID-19 - Pharmacy Times - June 28th, 2021
- Spot the difference: Viruses making a comeback post-pandemic, but is it COVID-19? - KXAN.com - June 28th, 2021
- COVID-19 In Maryland: More Than 74% Of Adults Have Received At Least One Vaccine Dose - CBS Baltimore - June 28th, 2021
- COVID-19 outbreaks dip further in Michigans June 28 report - MLive.com - June 28th, 2021
- How COVID-19 Could Lead to a Golden Age of Innovation - The Atlantic - June 28th, 2021
- Here's Why Tokyo Is Hosting the Summer Olympics Despite COVID-19 - Council on Foreign Relations - June 28th, 2021
- Japan to ask athletes from India, others for more COVID-19 tests - Reuters - June 27th, 2021
- Heart Inflammation In Teens And Young Adults After COVID-19 Vaccine Is Rare, CDC Says - NPR - June 27th, 2021
- Hanover vaccination center closes after vaccinating 51,000 people against COVID-19 - 8News - June 27th, 2021
- Eli Lilly Covid-19 Antibody Drug Shipments Paused Over Variant Concerns - The Wall Street Journal - June 27th, 2021