Ardalan Shekarabi, Swedens Minister of Social Security, has told national media that the government is ready to publish stage two of its regulatory approach on gambling, focusing on enforcing tougher advertising and marketing restrictions upon licensed incumbents.
Recognised as one of the highest-profile MPs within the governing Socialdemokraterna (social democrats) party, Shekarabi is the former Minister of Civil Affairs, who played a key role in drafting the re-regulation of Swedish online gambling laws during 2018.
Despite moving his departmental position, the government has maintained Shekarabi as a key advisor in the regulatory development of Swedens gambling marketplace.
Following the first quarter of trading under the new laws established by Swedens revamped Gambling Act regulating online gambling services, Shekarabi would publicly criticise incumbents for undertaking excessive and aggressive marketing practices targeting audiences across multiple media verticals.
Shekarabi would sanction Swedish gambling inspectorate Spelinspektionento carry out a review of industry advertising, assessing whether further systems and controls were needed to limit marketing output.
Speaking to national media, Shekarabi confirmed that he was ready to publish stage two of Swedens regulatory framework in which the government will tighten legislation with regards to advertising verticals and online casino.
I am happy with the whole thing, but there is still an area where we will have to spend a lot of our energy in the coming months, and that is advertising, he said.
Here we have to regain control, as we need to tighten up the law to remove the aggressive game advertising, especially with regards to dangerous elements that are attached to online casinos.
Reviewing year-1 of Swedens re-regulation of online gambling services, Shekarabi maintained that despite legal challenges by incumbents, the government framework should be regarded as a success story.
Of note, Shekarabi highlighted that the government and Spelinspektionen had been successful in carrying out its channelization strategy, in which consumers have engaged with authorised actors.
Gustav Hoffstedt, Secretary-General of Swedish online gambling trade body BOS, would reject Shekarabi comments stating that the minister was ignorant of the black market reality facing consumers and incumbents.
Only the Minister believes this, he countered. Everyone else has received the alarming message from his own expert authority at Spelinspektionen is below the governments target of 90 per cent, and that the sewerage will continue to decline.The licensing system is leaking players.
For 2020, Hoffstedt underlines that the Swedish government should rethink its channelisation requirements, removing legislation which only strengthens black market actors targeting Swedish consumers not because the licensed companies would break any laws, but because the gaming consumers in an accelerating development leave the licensing system.
Meanwhile, Jenny Nilzon, Chief Executive of Swedish Gambling Association SPER, has warned the government that year-2 of its regulatory agenda should focus on working with licensed incumbents who have committed to reducing their advertising volume.
The industry is working together to curb advertising and we see a big difference today compared to a year ago, both in volume and content, she added. If the law is to be tightened further, it is important to put it against the Channelisation, that is, the customers do not apply to unlicensed gaming companies.Unfortunately, we see this trend increasing, which is a more serious problem than industry advertising.
- Are Online Casinos legal or illegal in the US? - South Florida Reporter - January 12th, 2020
- What Makes Slot Games the Best to Play? - Casino Players Report - January 12th, 2020
- Everi launches exclusive gaming content with Parx Casino for online real-money play - Yogonet International - January 12th, 2020
- Are Irish land casinos upping their game to compete with online competitors? - IrishCentral - January 12th, 2020
- How Gambling Will Change in 10 Years - Future of Online Gambling - BestUSCasinos.org - January 12th, 2020
- Skulls UP, the New Slot Full of Functions of Quickspin ready for Online Casino Websites - Tunf.com News - January 12th, 2020
- Vera john as a leader online casino at the west and in Japan - Business MattersBusiness Matters - January 9th, 2020
- Applications and software for online casino 2020 - Bulawayo24 News - January 9th, 2020
- NBA Last 60: Can Virtual Sports Betting Find Real Success In The US? - OnlinePokerReport.com - January 9th, 2020
- Welcome the New Year with Tons of Free Online Casino Spins - Casino Players Report - January 9th, 2020
- Everi Launches Exclusive Gaming Content with Parx Casino for Online Real-Money Play in Pennsylvania - Yahoo Finance - January 9th, 2020
- 3 Smart Strategies to Win Big in Roulette Online - Communal News - January 9th, 2020
- Oryx Gaming Inks New Agreement With SkillOnNet - Inkedin - January 9th, 2020
- Spin Games Announces I-Gaming Content and Technology Agreement With Gamesys Group plc - GlobeNewswire - January 9th, 2020
- Mikael Hansson Why it is crucial to value your customers - CasinoBeats - January 9th, 2020
- Global Gaming's Chances To Operate In The Swedish Online Gambling Market Still Alive, Administrative Court Grants Review Permit - Casino.Buzz - January 9th, 2020
- How the betting industry has become inextricably linked to football - The Guardian - January 9th, 2020
- Bet365 To Shut Down Its Online Casino Operation in Germany - Best Online Casino Sites News - December 27th, 2019
- The Thrill of an Online Casino - Programming Insider - December 27th, 2019
- Beware of Scams: Here Are the Safest Casino Deposit Methods for Norwegians - LA Progressive - December 27th, 2019
- Not All Casinos Online Are Safe: Try These Simple Tips to Play the Slot Safely - The Jerusalem Post - December 27th, 2019
- Red Rake Gaming Announces Mother Of Horus at Online Casino Sites - Tunf.com News - December 27th, 2019
- NetEnt Released Wings Of Riches at Online Casino Websites, A Fairy-Themed Slot Game - Tunf.com News - December 27th, 2019
- Online Gambling and Sports Betting Legalized in Michigan - Best Online Casino Sites News - December 27th, 2019
- Operator of the Year LeoVegas has 2020 vision - Casino Beats - December 27th, 2019