The profreedom and antiwar movement lost one of its most dedicated champions this past weekend. Jon Basil Utley was born in the Soviet Union in 1934. His Britishborn mother, Freda, had gone there as aprocommunist intellectual and writer. But after his father was spirited away to one of Stalins gulags (where he was executed in 1938), Freda fled with young Jon and became an outspoken critic of the Soviet Union, including in several bestselling books. They eventually emigrated to the United Stateswhere Freda hosted meetings of prominent anticommunists in their home. That is where Jon met many leading intellectuals and activists of the Cold War era, connections that lasted alifetime. He became an accomplished writer in his own right, as well as asuccessful businessman. He traveled extensively.
Jon was anearly ubiquitous presence at DC gatheringsand globally. He attended many events at Cato, as well as Grover Norquists Wednesday meetings at Americans for Tax Reform. He supported Reason magazine and the Reason Foundation, and many other libertarian causes. And he was proud to be associated with The American Conservative magazine, where he served on the board of directors, and as publisher.
Whenever Iencountered Jon at one of these meetings, he would always greet me with awarm toothy smile and afirm handshake. He made me feel so welcomed at these gatherings but he did the same for everyone else as well, as though he appreciated every single person in attendance.
But his warmth and affection for those around him concealed adeep and abiding hatred of Americas wars, and arelated sadness at his fellow Americans apparent disinterest in the suffering these wars caused for innocent men, women, and children all around the world. In meetings, he would often ask questions, or make comments, in his soft, almost lyrical, voice. Most of the time, his remarks conveyed his skepticism of these wars, even as he knew that many of those around him (mostly conservatives, but also some libertarians) wished desperately that he would just sit down and shut up. But that just wasnt his style.
Jon was apeacemaker within the oftenfractious liberty movement, too. His sadness about Americas wars was perhaps only exceeded by his disappointment that his friends in the antiwar movement were fighting with one another. He was anatural bridgebuilder with avery wide circle of acquaintancesand always on the lookout to make introductions and build alliances.
Last year, when it presented Jon alifetime achievement award, The American Conservative prepared afitting tribute video. Iknow and respect many of the people who offered their reflections on why Jon was worthy of such an award. TACs Executive Editor Kelly Beaucar Vlahos called him one of the bravest people that Iknow in Washington. To Ambassador C. Boyden Gray, Jon was one of the most gentle, generous men Ive ever met. My friend John Henry declared, simply, Jon is America.
This was particularly true in the post9/11 era, when conservatives, in particular, really didnt want to hear one of their own questioning the wisdom of George W. Bushs various foreign warsespecially the war in Iraq. Jon would be the only person to stand up and say the Iraq war made no sense, John Henry recalled, when everybody else was saluting, [and chanting] USA! USA!
The Heritage Foundations Lee Edwards counted Jons willingness to stand up for the truth as he sees it, regardless of what others say as his greatest achievement.
All of the wise men of the conservative movement, Edwards explained, believed that the United States should be waging war in Iraq. They would listen as Jon would question why. Then hed sit down. Afew moments of awkward silence typically ensued before the meeting moved onto the next topic.
But, after the luncheon was over, Edwards continued, people would come up to him and say Jon, keep saying that. Keep asking those questionsI havent got enough guts to do it, but you have.
Edwards noted that when the weapons of mass destruction werent found in Iraq, and most Americans came to realize that the war had been aterrible mistake, Jon didnt go around saying I was right. Itold you so and that, too, was to his great credit. Edwards congratulated Utley for speaking up when others were timid.
Jon was alongtime generous donor to the Cato Institute, and for that we are all grateful. But his influence ran much deeper that that. He was awarm and wonderful friend, and an inspiration to those of us who followed in his footsteps.
During this period of COVID-19, when all public gatherings have been postponed or canceled, we have more urgent things to attend to. But, when things return to normal, and Ifor the first time attend one of those meetings where Iwould have expected to see Jons kind smile and reassuring presence, Ifear that that is when the true depths of this loss will really be felt.
Rest in peace, my friend. Your legacy lives on.
- We Watched the Libertarian Party Vice Presidential Debate So You Didn't Have To - Reason - May 27th, 2020
- That Time the Libertarian Party Debated the Private Ownership of Nuclear Weapons - Reason - May 27th, 2020
- The truth about 'I'm with her' - CNN - May 27th, 2020
- You Dont Have to Like the Decree, But Wear Face Masks Anyway - Bacon's Rebellion - May 27th, 2020
- Justin Amash, Ross Perot and the third-party future: Ranked choice voting is the answer - Salon - May 27th, 2020
- An outbreak anywhere is an outbreak everywhere - Modern Diplomacy - May 14th, 2020
- Libertarian Party To Choose Its Presidential Ticket in Virtual Vote Over Memorial Day Weekend - Reason - May 11th, 2020
- Johnson address shows he has been swayed by hawks in his cabinet - The Guardian - May 11th, 2020
- Dershowitz Defends and Criticizes Flynn by Railing Against Entrapment and Fair-Weather Civil Libertarians - Law & Crime - May 11th, 2020
- Analysis: Reeves tries to balance concerns of health, jobs - Associated Press - May 11th, 2020
- Originalism, Common-Good Originalism, and Common-Good Constitutionalism - Reason - May 11th, 2020
- Libertarian, Green parties sue over Illinois election rules - The Southern - April 9th, 2020
- Lawsuit Filed by Green and Libertarian Parties Over Petitioning Issues Because of Stay at Home Order - wcsjnews.com - April 9th, 2020
- This Libertarian Country Defeated The Coronavirus With The Free Market - Patheos - April 9th, 2020
- Is Passover the Most Libertarian Holiday? - Reason - April 9th, 2020
- Liberty of Movement and Assembly - Reason - April 9th, 2020
- The Most-Watched Show in America Is a Moral Failure - The Atlantic - April 9th, 2020
- The Coronavirus Outbreak Is Exposing Government Follies on Many Levels - Reason - April 9th, 2020
- Three political philosophies, and how they apply to the coronavirus pandemic - BioEdge - April 9th, 2020
- A Little-Known Democratic Governor Is Breaking Out in Kentucky - The Intercept - April 9th, 2020
- The Coronavirus Pandemic Has Set Off A Massive Expansion Of Government Surveillance. Civil Libertarians Aren't Sure What To Do. - BuzzFeed News - March 31st, 2020
- Aiming for KO in KY The only Republican primary challenger with the backing of the RJC - Jewish Insider - March 31st, 2020
- In a pandemic, Nobody thinks we should smoke more weed - The Boston Globe - March 31st, 2020
- How the Right Went Far-Right - The American Prospect - March 31st, 2020
- Margaret Thatcher, Libertarianism, and the Etherization of the Single Tax - Merion West - March 24th, 2020
- On the 2020 Campaign Trail, Where's the Truth on the Economy? - The Liberator Online - March 24th, 2020
- The coronavirus crisis ignites a bonfire of Conservative party orthodoxies - The Guardian - March 24th, 2020
- letters to the Editor: March 5, 2020 | Opinion - Indianapolis Recorder - March 5th, 2020
- What to know ahead of Super Tuesday primary in North Carolina - Charlotte Post - March 5th, 2020
- Missouris presidential primary is March 10. Heres what to know before you vote - The Rolla Daily News - March 5th, 2020
- Without Government, Who Will Build The Roads? - The Libertarian Republic - March 5th, 2020
- Missouri's Presidential Primary Is March 10 Here's What Voters Need To Know - KCUR - March 5th, 2020
- Here's who's officially in the federal, statewide and Fulton elections on qualifying's Day 3 - The Catoosa County News - March 5th, 2020
- Voters in Fayetteville and across NC to make choices in Tuesday's primary election - The Fayetteville Observer - March 5th, 2020
- Evolution in action in the Middle East - Boulder Weekly - March 5th, 2020
- Today is primary day. Here's what you need to know. - Hickory Daily Record - March 5th, 2020
- Qualifying for 2020 election has started in Georgia. Here's who has made the cut - Forsyth County News Online - March 5th, 2020
- Andrew Yang launches nonprofit aimed at making his former campaign's ideas a reality - WICZ - March 5th, 2020
- Senior services support,county commissioners races on primary ballot; Here is a list of what you - Galion Inquirer - January 27th, 2020
- Republican Party chairs chose Jacobs as 27th District Congressional candidate - The Daily News Online - January 27th, 2020
- Tyler Cowen on "State Capacity Libertarianism" II: Is it the Right Path for Libertarians to Follow? - Reason - January 25th, 2020
- Libertarianism and assassination - Nolan Chart LLC - January 25th, 2020
- Peter Thiels Latest Venture Is the American Government - New York Magazine - January 25th, 2020
- Six things to know about the primary election - Shelby Star - January 25th, 2020
- Joe Rogans Endorsement Is One of the Most Influential in America - VICE - January 25th, 2020
- State Election Board Releases Official 2020 Voter Registration Statistics - The Marlow Review - January 25th, 2020
- Tyler Cowen on "State Capacity Libertarianism" I: Is it the Wave of the "Smart" Libertarian Future? - Reason - January 18th, 2020
- A Conversation with a Libertarian Observed | Mark Shea - Patheos - January 18th, 2020
- The Evolving Libertarianism of Neil Peart - National Review - January 18th, 2020
- Why Libertarians Have a Love-hate Relationship With the 10th Amendment - HowStuffWorks - January 18th, 2020
- Did Vermin Supreme Win the New Hampshire Libertarian Primary? - Heavy.com - January 18th, 2020
- Last of the Hollywood libertarians: why the outrage over Vince Vaughn's handshake with Trump? - The Telegraph - January 18th, 2020
- Elizabeth Warrens evasions and other commentary - New York Post - January 18th, 2020
- State Election Board releases official 2020 voter registration statistics - Claremore Daily Progress - January 18th, 2020
- Liberty and Death - Splice Today - January 18th, 2020
- Lincoln Chafee on SS Privatization, Drugs, and When Taxation is Theft - The Libertarian Republic - January 18th, 2020
- Does Gun Girl Kaitlin Bennett Hate America And Also The Constitution? - Wonkette - January 18th, 2020
- Justin Amash's Biggest Fiscally Conservative National Donors Are Abandoning His Re-election Bid - Reason - January 18th, 2020
- In California: Get ready to matter in the presidential primary - USA TODAY - January 18th, 2020
- 'Sister Wives': Kody Brown Is Going to Hang Out With This 2020 Presidential Candidate - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - January 18th, 2020
- The Libertarian Movement Needs a Kick in the Pants - Reason - January 7th, 2020
- What libertarianism has become and will become State Capacity Libertarianism - Hot Air - January 7th, 2020
- The Libertarian Party's Attack on Austin Petersen Shows Why They Lose - The Libertarian Republic - January 7th, 2020
- Libertarian says college district is using the number 8 to influence Chinese voters - The Daily Post - December 31st, 2019
- Recognizing the four pillars of the republic in public schools - Washington Times - December 31st, 2019
- The Best Truthdig Originals of 2019 - Truthdig - December 31st, 2019
- Disputed Appointments and the Supreme Court's Legitimacy, in 1937 and Today - Cato Institute - December 31st, 2019
- Meet the Kochs - The Mountain -Ear - December 31st, 2019
- Scoppe: How SC law made it crazy for cities, counties to give any ground to billboards - Charleston Post Courier - December 31st, 2019
- U.K. Election: Brexit Wins, Jeremy Corbyn Crashes - Reason - December 13th, 2019
- A Federal Government Thats Not Good at Its Job Cant Effectively Serve the Common Good - National Review - December 13th, 2019
- WALSH: Every Child Exposed To Internet Pornography Is An Abuse Victim. There Should Be Laws Protecting Them. - The Daily Wire - December 13th, 2019
- As Texas elections get tighter, more third-party candidates are making inroads - Houston Chronicle - November 30th, 2019
- Dr. Anthony Fauci: The anti-vaxx movement is 'libertarianism taken to the extreme' - GZERO Media - November 30th, 2019
- DeSantis is reshaping Floridas courts with the Federalist Societys help - Tampa Bay Times - November 30th, 2019
- Meet A.D. Smith, Forgotten Libertarian Abolitionist Hero and Would-Be President of Canada - Reason - November 25th, 2019
- Romaine Worster: The illusion of the socialist ideal - Greensboro News & Record - November 25th, 2019
- 3rd party wins promise to shake up Thanksgiving dinner table talk - WHYY - November 25th, 2019
- BRADLEY R. GITZ: What is 'right-wing'? - NWAOnline - November 25th, 2019
- Andrew Yang's 'Department of the Attention Economy' Is Why Libertarians Don't Trust Democrats - Reason - November 23rd, 2019