IF YOURE under 40 reading this article, youre probably not going to die unless you get a nasty disease.
Those are the words of esteemed futurologist Dr Ian Pearson, who believes humans are very close to achieving immortality the ability to never die, reports The Sun.
Humans have been trying to find a way to dodge death for years.
Ancient Greek alchemists tried to create a philosophers stone that would let people live forever, but humans have yet to beat death.
However, Dr Pearson tells The Sun that there are a number of different ways we could live forever as long as you can make it to the year 2050.
If you kick the bucket before then, you might be part of the last generation of humans to die of old age.
METHOD #1: RENEWING YOUR BODY PARTS
There are quite a lot of people interested in living forever, explains Dr Pearson. There always has been, but the difference now is tech is improving so quickly, lots of people believe they can actually do it.
He reveals that one way to extend life would be to use biotechnologies and medicine to keep renewing the body, and rejuvenating it.
No one wants to live forever at 95 years old, but if you could rejuvenate the body to 29 or 30, you might want to do that.
This could be done in several ways, including genetic engineering that prevents (or reverses) the ageing of cells.
Alternatively, you could replace vital body organs with new parts.
Many scientists around the world are working on creating human organs using 3D printers loaded with living cells, which could one day make human organ donors redundant.
METHOD #2: LIVING IN ANDROID BODIES
But Dr Pearson thinks its much more likely that well extend our lives a different way: robots.
A long time before we get to fix our bodies and rejuvenate it every time we feel like, well be able to link our minds to the machine world so well, well effectively be living in the cloud, he explains.
The mind will basically be in the cloud, and be able to use any android that you feel like to inhabit the real world.
He says that in 50 years time, we might be able to hire an android anywhere in the world just like a hire car, and upload your consciousness into it.
If you wanted to spend the evening in Australia, going to the Sydney Opera House, you could use an android.
This means that even when your original bodies dies, youd still be able to use your digital mind stored on a computer and live in the world using highly realistic robot bodies.
The current state of sex dolls are starting to look quite human-like. Give them another 30 years of development and theyll be extremely human-like, Dr Pearson reveals.
You can take any android body and they will look human-like, and download whatever mind you want. You could share one with someone else, or have one yourself, or own dozens of them.
You might even have ones of different genders and different ages, some old, young, female, male there might be new genders by 2050 as well, so several other ones you can pick too.
He explains that well have to wait until around 2045, 2050 before well be able to create these strong brain-to-machine links, and says the cost will be very high initially.
The first people to use robot bodies to become immortal will be the rich, but then the price will gradually come down.
One day your body dies maybe you get hit by a bus or a nasty disease but it doesnt matter, because your mind will still be there. Youll be able to use an android body instead of the organic one you just lost.
For normal people on everyday salaries, its more likely that youll have to wait a little longer.
IMMORTALITY ON BRITAINS NHS
By 2060, people like you or I will be able to buy it, and by 2070 people in poor countries on modest incomes will be able to buy it.
Everyone will have a chance to have immortality, a sort of electronic immortality.
After 10, 15, 20 years, the price comes down to hundreds of pounds, rather than millions.
It could be provided as part of the NHS (National Health Service). You might be able to buy premium offerings on a private subscription, or you might get a basic presence on a network and be allowed to use an android body.
Dr Pearson says well have to limit the number of android bodies people can own, however.
You might be given one free on the NHS, but you might be limited to no more than two or three.
Rich people that can afford it would probably want to have loads of different bodies, and if your mind is online, theres nothing to stop them replicating it millions of times over.
You wouldnt want to live in a world where there are millions of Kardashians walking around, where they can afford to do it and nobody else can.
We would need to limit the number of bodies for environmental impact.
Imaging taking everybody in the UK. Once the economics allows everyone to have 10 bodies each, there would be 600 million people living here.
METHOD #3: LIVING IN A VIRTUAL WORLD
But if our minds are online, do we even need robot bodies? We could all just live in a computer simulation quite happily, according to Dr Pearson.
You could spend most of your time online in the virtual world, of course anywhere in the world on any computer.
If youre online all the time, you could have a fantastic life online. It would be all virtual, so you could have anything you want. 72 virgins if thats what drives you; all of that, because its totally imaginary.
You could make as much fun as you could possibly imagine online. You might still want to come into the real world.
You could link your mind to millions of other minds, and have unlimited intelligence, and be in multiple places at once.
THE CUT-OFF HOLDING ON FOR DEAR LIFE
The tricky bit is surviving until the technology becomes widely available.
By 2050, it will only really be for the rich and famous, Dr Pearson said.
Most people on middle-class incomes and reasonable working-class incomes can probably afford this in the 2060s. So anyone 90 or under by 2060.
If you were born sometime in 1970 onwards, that would make you 48 this year. So anybody under 50 has got a good chance of it, and anyone under 40 almost definitely will have access to this.
Most of your readers are probably going to live forever, Dr Pearson tells us.
This story first appeared in The Sun and has been republished here with permission.
See original here:
- The Immortal Trailer and Poster Revealed by HBO Max - VitalThrills.com - July 16th, 2021
- Psychonauts 2 Will Have An Immortality Option - Attack of the Fanboy - July 16th, 2021
- Nike Recalls The First Time Giannis Antetokounmpo Had A Smoothie With Latest Release - Sneaker News - July 16th, 2021
- 'He would do anything for this game': How Bud Black quietly reached baseball immortality - The Athletic - July 16th, 2021
- Novak Djokovic wins 20th grand slam title at Wimbledon on the road to tennis immortality - The New Daily - July 16th, 2021
- Book Notes: In search of Proust, finding Ruskin, poets, poems and art - theday.com - July 16th, 2021
- Hanford Gourmet: The Eight Immortals live up to the name - Hanford Sentinel - July 16th, 2021
- 'Success breeds success.' Ohio is on a post-pandemic winning streak - Buckeye Institute - July 16th, 2021
- England seal emphatic Ukraine win at Euro 2020 and stand two games away from immortality - The Mirror - July 5th, 2021
- Netflix's The Old Guard Sequel Is Confirmed to Start Filming 2022 - The Mary Sue - July 5th, 2021
- The old Guard 2: Synopsis, Cast, Release Date, and Everything - LeeDaily.com - The Lee Daily Register - July 5th, 2021
- NHL to Engrave Fan Tweets at Hockey Hall of Fame in Toronto - iPhone in Canada - June 28th, 2021
- [Interview] Sam Barlow Talks Movie Mystery Game 'Immortality', 'Inland Empire' Inspiration, and the Spiritual Successor to His 'Silent Hill' Game -... - June 24th, 2021
- Nike Giannis Immortality Revealed In Aqua And Crimson As The Greek Freaks Title Run Continues - Sneaker News - June 24th, 2021
- Jurgen Klopp in tears, a new Liverpool anthem and the night immortality beckoned - Liverpool Echo - June 24th, 2021
- 'Fast' franchise soars to new heights in 'F9: The Fast Saga' while also looking to the past - The Spokesman-Review - June 24th, 2021
- THE OLD GUARD: TALES THROUGH TIME #3: Unexpected Family and Moon Landings - Comic Watch - June 24th, 2021
- Lobsters, jellyfish, and the foolish quest for immortality - Big Think - June 20th, 2021
- Can We Really Become Immortals? Voice of Biotecnika - BioTecNika - June 20th, 2021
- Ageing process is unstoppable, finds unprecedented study - The Guardian - June 20th, 2021
- SHARUKO ON SATURDAY : In that moment, Yogis legacy, was sealed - The Herald - June 20th, 2021
- 'IMMORTALITY' from Sam Barlow (Her Story, Telling Lies) Is an FMV Adventure Set to Release in 2022 on PC and More - Touch Arcade - June 15th, 2021
- Her Story and Telling Lies creator reveals new game Immortality - Pocket Gamer - June 15th, 2021
- Hazard, Vertonghen and a stunning Belgium generation running out of time - Football365 - June 15th, 2021
- Whispers of Immortality by T. S. Eliot | Poetry Foundation - June 6th, 2021
- Wordsworths Poetry: Ode: Intimations of Immortality ... - June 6th, 2021
- Why didnt the Eternals help fight Thanos? - The Daily Dot - May 24th, 2021
- Henry Cavill in talks to star in Highlander reboot - WION - May 22nd, 2021
- $100 Disneyland sandwich ranks as one of the worlds most expensive - East Bay Times - May 22nd, 2021
- Josh Taylor eyeing boxing immortality in undisputed Las Vegas clash with Jose Ramirez - Mirror Online - May 20th, 2021
- Josh Taylor expects nastiness towards Jose Ramirez ahead of chance at immortality - The Independent - May 20th, 2021
- Kobe Bryant enters the Hall of Fame on Saturday. Heres how he achieved basketball immortality. | Mike Sielski - The Philadelphia Inquirer - May 20th, 2021
- INTERVIEW: Ram V and Filipe Andrade on Deaths rude awakening in THE MANY DEATHS OF LAILA STARR - Comics Beat - May 20th, 2021
- Legendary Comics announces YA imprint - MP3s and NPCs - May 20th, 2021
- William Urban: The perils of publishing - Monmouth Daily Review Atlas - May 20th, 2021
- The anomaly of Jon Bois's '17776' - The Michigan Daily - May 20th, 2021
- Guide to the classics: Shakespeares sonnets an honest account of love and a surprising portal to the man himself - The Conversation AU - May 20th, 2021
- The Nike Giannis Immortality Set To Release In An Essential Black And Volt - Sneaker News - May 9th, 2021
- Michael Schenker on creativity, immortality, and why hell never make peace with Rudolf - Louder - May 9th, 2021
- For Swedish filmmaker Roy Andersson, there is immortality in art - Yahoo News - May 9th, 2021
- Shadow and Bone Recap: Now Kiss - Vulture - April 29th, 2021
- Misinformation will prevail | Opinion | dailyitem.com - Sunbury Daily Item - April 29th, 2021
- TFT Set 5 Reckoning Shadow items: Updated stats and best-in-slot - Dot Esports - April 29th, 2021
- Dying for immortality, this artist wants you to dispose of her body - Sydney Morning Herald - April 23rd, 2021
- Opening the Gate to Immortality: 25 years of Satyricon's Nemesis Divina - Invisible Oranges - April 23rd, 2021
- How (not) to be a god The Bowdoin Orient - The Bowdoin Orient - April 23rd, 2021
- The X-Men Are Losing Their Soul, and Nightcrawler Wants to Find It - Gizmodo - April 23rd, 2021
- Artificial Hearts: Could They Be the Key to Immortality? - Interesting Engineering - April 21st, 2021
- New study sheds light on the interplay between belief in an afterlife and secular-symbolic avenues to immortality - PsyPost - April 21st, 2021
- Messages of Faith: Resurrection is the answer for immortality - Daily Record-News - April 17th, 2021
- Exploring immortality and the value of life - Bangkok Post - Bangkok Post - April 17th, 2021
- Overwatch players are furious at the worst Experimental patch yet - Dexerto - April 17th, 2021
- 'Tina': The Ultimate Thesis of Why She Deserves Rock Hall Immortality - wmgk.com - March 31st, 2021
- Three top contenders in the fray for Indian Derby - The Hindu - March 31st, 2021
- Immortal Jellyfish, Radiated Tortoise, and More: 11 Ancient Animals Older Than Every Human on Earth - Nature World News - March 31st, 2021
- Keanu Reeves' BRZRKR Can Show Why He'd Be The Perfect MCU Wolverine - Screen Rant - March 31st, 2021
- Daily Recco, March 17: The People in the Trees, battling immortality and immorality - DailyO - March 21st, 2021
- Hulk Crushes the Avengers in Jaw-Dropping New Alex Ross Cover Art - Screen Rant - March 21st, 2021
- Unheard-of//Ensemble probes inner space in Messiaen's Quartet and new works - South Florida Classical Review - March 21st, 2021
- Katrick: The color green and its many meanings - The Newark Advocate - March 21st, 2021
- 10 Comic Book Superpowers That Are Highly Overrated | CBR - CBR - March 21st, 2021
- Millennials on Exhibit at the Russian Museum - The Moscow Times - March 21st, 2021
- Star Wars: How the Great Sith War Changed the Galaxy | CBR - CBR - Comic Book Resources - March 21st, 2021
- Wonder Woman: 10 Facts About The Amazons You Need To Know | CBR - CBR - Comic Book Resources - February 22nd, 2021
- How to achieve immortality and have a food named after you - The Takeout - February 21st, 2021
- How rejecting Inter and Lyon set Andre-Pierre Gignac on his way to Tigres immortality - Squawka - February 10th, 2021
- Marvel Confirms Thanos Can't Be Killed, But Not For The Reason You Think - Screen Rant - February 10th, 2021
- Why Bayern Munich's opponents, Tigres, are taking the Club World Cup seriously, even if Europe is not - DW (English) - February 10th, 2021
- 'The Bitter Comes With The Sweet': Without Death, There Is No Life - WBUR - February 10th, 2021
- Disney Pixar's Soul: how the moviemakers took Plato's view of existence and added a modern twist - The Conversation UK - February 10th, 2021
- Life after death: Woman 'engulfed by light and God' in afterlife vision - Daily Express - February 10th, 2021
- Charles Woodson's Words Prove Just How Special The Hall Of Fame Is - Wolverine Maven - February 10th, 2021
- Cicely, Cloris, and two paths to Hollywood immortality - The Boston Globe - February 2nd, 2021
- Regular Exercise and Lifting Weights Might Be the Key to Immortality - The Great Courses Daily News - February 2nd, 2021
- Roblox CEO Dave Baszucki believes users will create the metaverse - VentureBeat - January 29th, 2021
- Does Matthew Die in 'A Discovery of Witches'? The Vampire's Fate Revealed! - Distractify - January 29th, 2021
- Cyberpunk 2077's Development Was Shorter Than Anyone Realized - CBR - Comic Book Resources - January 19th, 2021
- How Star Wars Could Bring Back A Weapon More Powerful Than The Darksaber - Screen Rant - January 19th, 2021
- How to Fix Some of the Bachelors Thorny Logistical Issues - The Ringer - January 19th, 2021
- JUANITA FLOYD: What testimony will you leave behind? - Northeast Mississippi Daily Journal - January 17th, 2021