Choose life, that thou mayest live, thou and thy seed. Deuteronomy 30:19 (The Israel Bible)
IDF medics operate a field hospital of injured Syrians near Israels northern border. (IDF Blog)
For the first time in Israels history, top surgeons throughout Israel and the Israel Defense Force (IDF) gathered to learn a new medical technique which stops bleeding in cases of trauma without an incision. Trauma specialists from South Africa, the US and Sweden came to the Holy Land to teach and demonstrate the groundbreaking procedure. The workshop took place on Kibbutz Lahav in Israels southern region, with eighty medical personnel in attendance.
LIBI USA is honored to have sponsored this trailblazing three-day workshop which will, no doubt, save lives in Israel and worldwide, shared Dr. John A.I. Grossman, Chairman of LIBI USA, the official welfare fund of the IDF, with Breaking Israel News. It was also a unique opportunity for medical professionals to unite in Israel, as saving lives is a Jewish and Israeli priority.
Dr. Grossman referred to the Biblical commandment of pikuach nefesh, the preservation of human life. This commandment, derived from the Book of Leviticus, is so basic to Judaism is that it takes precedence over all others.
So you shall keep My statutes and My judgments, by which a man may live if he does them. Leviticus 18:5
The Talmud emphasizes that one should live by the commandments, not die by them. One who is zealous in saving a life is praised and one who hesitates to save a life is considered as one who has shed the persons blood themselves, which the sages describe as piety of madness. In fact, to save and preserve a life, one must desecrate the Sabbath and even eat on the fast day of Yom Kippur, the holiest day of the year.
This is a new technique which requires specialized training in a controlled setting to master, explained Colonel (res.) Dr. Ofer Merin, Director of the Trauma Unit and Preparedness of Mass Casualty Events at Shaare Zedek Medical Center in Jerusalem and Commander of the IDF Field Hospital and General Staffs Surgical Hospital Unit, to Breaking Israel News. We are truly grateful to Dr. Grossman and LIBI USA for funding these life-saving workshops as simulated trauma scenarios with the use of REBOA are crucial to master this new technique.
Resuscitative Endovascular Balloon Occlusion of the Aorta, or REBOA, is used when a person is rapidly bleeding to death. It involves the placement of a flexible catheter balloon into the aorta to control haemorrhaging in traumatic injuries and then inflating the balloon, which stops the bleeding.
The head of the Trauma and Combat Medicine Branch for the IDF, Lieutenant Colonel Dr. Avraham Yitzhak, was part of the team of experts learning and assessing the effectiveness and practicality of using REBOA on Israeli soldier trauma victims. This important workshop united civilian and army surgeons to train in the cutting edge REBOA technology. Because of this workshop, the IDF might have an additional way to save lives, Dr. Yitzhak told Breaking Israel News. We are grateful to LIBI USA for sponsoring these days.
Dr. Yitzhak also discussed the IDFs commitment to pikuach nefesh. IDF physicians have three levels of oaths they take concerning the saving of lives, he said. We have the Hippocratic Oath, which every doctor in the world is obligated to uphold. In addition, we have the Oath of Maimonides and the oath of the Israeli Medical Corp, My Brothers Keeper.
The essence of the Oath of Maimonides, named for its originator, a 12th century scholar of Jewish law and philosophy, is to watch over the life and health of Gods creatures without egoism.
The essence of the Israeli Medics Oath is that medics will give everything, including their own lives, for the State of Israel and its people and will treat friend or foe alike, in all conditions, and never leave anyone in the field.
In Israel, we tend to be busy with trying to live fulfilling lives or dieing at the hands of our enemies, shared Dr. Yitzhak. IDF medics risk their lives to give correct care to everyone, including wounded Syrians across our border, humanitarian aid to people all over the world and even medical care to our enemies.
Unfortunately, we havent taken the time and arent good at explaining to the world how ethical, moral and valuing of life we are. This workshop helps to build that knowledge worldwide and gain life-saving skills in addition.
To donate to LIBI USA and support the IDF, please visit here.
- You say you want a revolution - Boulder Weekly - August 25th, 2017
- Egoism: Examples and Definition | Philosophy Terms - August 9th, 2017
- On Albert Einstein's peaceful musings - The Livingston County News - July 28th, 2017
- The Courage to Face a Lifetime: On the Enduring Value of Ayn Rand's Philosophy - IAI News - July 27th, 2017
- egoism | philosophy | Britannica.com - June 30th, 2017
- Orwell vs Huxley vs Zamyatin: Who would win a dystopian fiction contest? - Scroll.in - June 25th, 2017
- Mailbag: The limits of ethical egoism - Albany Democrat Herald - June 23rd, 2017
- 'Wounded but not dead' Cassola says AD right in not joini... - MaltaToday - June 6th, 2017
- Free ethical relativism Essays and Papers - 123helpme - June 1st, 2017
- Why Is It Difficult to Live Together in Differences? (A Reflection) - Netralnews - June 1st, 2017
- Considerations for Planning Humanitarian Operations in Hybrid Warfare - smallwarsjournal - May 30th, 2017
- Are These 5 Grievances About Millennials Character Strengths? - Siera Madre Weekly - May 28th, 2017
- 'Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt' Season Three Proves It's The Smartest Show On Television - Decider - May 26th, 2017
- Ethical issues in Nigeria's higher education and governance - Nigeria Today - May 26th, 2017
- Are These 5 Grievances About Millennials Character Strengths? - monroviaweekly - May 26th, 2017
- Psychological Egoism and Ethical Egoism - May 11th, 2017
- Here's What Happens When the US and Mexico Fight - Americas Quarterly - May 2nd, 2017
- Debate: Is Ayn Rand right about rights? - Learn Liberty (blog) - April 17th, 2017
- Ahmad Zahid: Satirism is not a Malaysian culture - Yahoo News - Yahoo News - April 15th, 2017
- In defence of hedonism - Irish Times - March 29th, 2017
- Pope Francis, Religion, Capitalism, and Ayn Rand - The Objective Standard - March 8th, 2017
- Reinhold Niebuhr and our common good - Bowling Green Daily News - March 5th, 2017
- A Jewish Social Vision Jewish Theology, Pt. VI - Patheos (blog) - March 4th, 2017
- The Weakness and wickedness of Kiir's Administration: South Sudan in political and ethnic crisis - Borglobe - February 25th, 2017
- Rebel Crossings by Sheila Rowbotham review feminist utopian dreams - The Guardian - February 25th, 2017
- Human Nature, Morality, & Salvation Jewish Theology Pt. IV - Patheos (blog) - February 25th, 2017
- Lecture series explores ethics in sports industry - Observer Online - February 15th, 2017
- More than a game: ND Ethics Week examines sports and the common good - ND Newswire - February 6th, 2017
- THE BACKSTORY: How Trump got to yes on Gorusch -- PLAYBOOK EXCLUSIVE: PETRAEUS warns US ... - Politico - February 6th, 2017
- Consequentialism - Wikipedia - December 25th, 2016
- Comparing Psychological & Ethical Egoism - Study.com - December 25th, 2016
- Psychological Egoism | Internet Encyclopedia of Philosophy - December 21st, 2016
- Psychological Egoism - University of Idaho - December 7th, 2016
- Rational egoism - Wikipedia - November 21st, 2016
- Ethical Egoism - Mega Essays - October 29th, 2016
- Ethical Egoism - Education - September 20th, 2016
- Dave's Philosophy - Ethics: Ethical Egoism & Altruism - August 10th, 2016
- Egoism - New World Encyclopedia - July 10th, 2016
- Ethical Egoism - College Essays - 1656 Words - StudyMode - July 10th, 2016
- Psychological Egoism - Philosophy Home Page - July 10th, 2016
- Egoism - Queensborough Community College - July 10th, 2016
- Psychological Egoism vs Ethical Egoism | Flow Psychology - June 28th, 2016
- Ethical Egoism and Biblical Self-Interest | Papers at ... - June 27th, 2016
- Psychological Egoism vs Ethical Egoism | Flow Psychology - June 27th, 2016
- Ethical Egoism and Biblical Self-Interest | Papers at ... - June 26th, 2016
- Ethical Egoism - University of Colorado Boulder - June 17th, 2016
- Ethical Egoism - Carnegie Mellon University - June 13th, 2016
- The Differences Between Utilitarianism & Ethical Egoism - June 8th, 2016
- Ayn Rand - Ethical Egoism - June 8th, 2016
- Ethical egoism - RationalWiki - June 7th, 2016
- The Differences Between Utilitarianism & Ethical Egoism - June 7th, 2016
- Ethical Egoism - Lander University - March 23rd, 2016
- Dr. Charles Kay Egoism - March 23rd, 2016
- Ethical Egoism - Drury University - March 21st, 2016
- Ethics Updates - Ethical Egoism - February 12th, 2016
- Ethical Egoism - spot.colorado.edu - February 12th, 2016
- Ethical egoism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - February 11th, 2016
- Egoism | Internet Encyclopedia of Philosophy - February 11th, 2016
- PHILOSOPHY Ethics - February 11th, 2016
- Ethical Egoism - Seven Pillars Institute - February 11th, 2016
- Egoism | Internet Encyclopedia of Philosophy - February 11th, 2016