CBD Hemp And Medical Marijuana: What Do These Terms Actually Mean?
Click to expand
The year 2020 was not normal by any stretch of the imagination. To get through my daily anxiety, stress, and boredom, I found myself obsessively searching for self-care, beauty, and wellness products that would make me feel better.
Not every product was a success. Sure, retinol gummies tasted good, but they didn't do anything for my skin. Still, a lot of the products I tried delivered on their promises and worked their way into my daily self-care routine. (Curious? Here's my Bearaby weighted blanket reviewand my rebounder trampoline review.)
As part of what Im calling my "15 days of feeling better," I used an entire bottle of CV Science's PlusCBD grapefruit hemp body lotion ($30)over time, not all at once.
I wanted to see if it would moisturize my skin better than a drugstore brand and do anything for the occasional eczema flare-up I get in winter. Here's how it went.
A relative of the marijuana plant, the hemp plant is a variety of Cannabis sativa. Like marijuana, it contains cannabidiol (CBD). The biggest difference between the two: hemp has little or no THC (delta-9 tetrahydrocannabinol), the component that gives marijuana its high. (Learn more: Can CBD get you high?)
In recent years, CBD products have boomed in popularity, thanks to purported health benefits. Though scientific evidence is limited right now, research has pointed to possible benefits of CBD for the treatment of seizures, depression, migraines, chronic pain, and other health conditions.
Most CBD in the United States is produced from hemp. In fact, the 2018 Farm Bill made it legal for farmers to grow hemp, provided its THC level reached no more than 0.3 percent. Now hemp-based productslike CBD oils, edibles, and lotionsaren't considered controlled substances in many states. (Although federal law is a bit murky).
(Here'severything else to know about hemp.)
The hemp business has surged over the past decade, but it's been used throughout history for things like rope and textiles. It's also an important natural ingredient that can help keep your skin moisturized and refreshed. If it contains CBD, it may offer additional benefits, like pain reduction.
Hemp oil can be extracted from the plant or its seeds, then combined with other ingredients to create all-natural hemp lotion. How hemp oil is produced determines whether it contains CBD. Oil made from hemp seeds doesn't have CBD, or THC for that matter.
Other hemp oils, like those in the lotion I tried, are made from other parts of the hemp plant, like the leaves. These contain CBD and sometimes traces of THC. If you're looking for a lotion that not only moisturizes but also imparts benefits of CBD oil, this is the way to go. (What is CBD oil? Here's what you need to know)
I never thought that much about the lotion I used. I tended to pick out whatever smelled nice at Target and use the bottle until it was empty or the fragrance made me feel slightly nauseous from overuse. Then I'd move on to whichever product caught my fancy.
However, I began to notice that my skin was dry and itchy in the winter. (Get healthy winter hands with these expert tips.)
A dermatologist explained that what I assumed were occasional dry patches on my toes and ankles were actually eczema flare-ups. Gasp! It was time to pay more attention to body lotion. I'd heard about the moisturizing properties of hemp lotion and decided it was worth a trial run.
The hemp body lotion I used is infused with 200 mg of CBD, so I got a double whammy of benefits.
"Hemp is rich in omega-3 fatty acids and other compounds, called phytonutrients, that have anti-inflammatory and anti-oxidant properties," says Bonni Goldstein, MD, medical director and owner of Cannacenters, a medical practice in Los Angeles. " Additionally, hemp works as an emollient, leaving the skin feeling moisturized.
It might even benefit the complexion. "Studies have shown some antibacterial properties as well, which may benefit acne," says Dr. Goldstein, who authored the book Cannabis is Medicine. (Here are some surprising home remedies for acne.)
What about my eczema? There was a chance hemp oil with CBD could help.
"There are many anecdotal reports of eczema and other skin conditions, such as psoriasis and rosacea, improving with topical hempseed oil," says Dr. Goldstein. "Additionally, products that contain CBD also show benefits for those with skin conditions, as CBD is a well-known anti-inflammatory and antioxidant."
The ingredient list for the CV Science's PlusCBD grapefruit hemp body lotion includes argan, safflower seed, and marula oils; bergamot; and shea butter.
Coming out of the bottle, it felt the slightest bit pulpy, but it still went on smoothly. I noticed an immediate moisture boost. I usually shower and apply lotion before bed, and in the morning my skin still felt silky and smooth where I'd applied the hemp lotion. Love that!
What does hemp body lotion smell like? The one I used was infused with grapefruit oil, so it had a light, refreshing citrus scent. It's also available in lavender if you prefer a floral fragrance. Unscented hemp products don't have much of a fragrance at all.
There's only one CBD drug approved by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA): Epidiolex, which treats rare, severe forms of epilepsy in children. But the CBD oils, edibles, creams, lotions, and other products that are so popular don't go through FDA approval and aren't regulated in any substantial way.
While advertisers aren't allowed to make health claims for their CBD products, there's no regulating body to make sure what you're buying is what's advertised on the label. You may end up with more or less CBD than stated, and you can't be certain of its quality.
Generally speaking, yes. As with any botanical or plant, there's a risk of skin irritation for people who are allergic to hemp. It's smart to do a patch test before trying any new product. Consult your medical doctor or dermatologist if you have chronic skin issues or allergies. (Here are some myths about skin allergies.)
It's a smart idea to buy CBD products that have been tested by an independent lab and from a manufacturer that provides a certificate of analysis (COA). The COA will contain the tested content of CBD, THC, and other cannabinoids, as well as ensure the product's free of of toxins like pesticides and heavy metals.
One of the reasons I like CV Sciences products is that the company is transparent about where its products come from. The hemp is grown as a dual crop with strict environmental standards in the Netherlands (that's part of the reason the lotion is $30).
It's extracted to combine the fatty acids found in the seed with the cannabinoids, including CBD, from the flowering top of the hemp plant.
All of this growth information is worth the money and research.
"One of the biggest concerns with hemp that is being applied to skin or taken internally is the possibility of contamination," Dr. Goldstein says. "Hemp is a bioaccumulator, which means that it can absorb heavy metals and chemical waste from the soil, in essence cleaning the soil. If large amounts of hemp are being grown for human use, it is imperative that the soil is sufficiently monitored to avoid these unwanted compounds from contaminating the final products."
CV Sciences shares the certificate of analysis for its products, which puts my mind at ease.
Using hemp lotion is easy: Apply it to your skin like you would with any lotion. Since hemp has moisturizing properties, concentrate on dry areas, like feet and elbows. I liked to apply it straight out of the bath, while my skin was still slightly damp.
I used every drop of hemp body lotion I could pump out of the bottle, and then cut it open with scissors to scoop out the rest. That's how much I loved this stuff. It performed wonderfully as a thicker body moisturizer in the winter.
I also had success with applying it to the eczema that sometimes crops up on my toe and ankle. I noticed less redness and itching a few minutes after applying. (These are the eczema facts you should know.)
Plus, the grapefruit scent smelled amazing, and I found that I felt relaxed after applicationmaybe an effect of the CBD oil, or maybe the relaxing ritual of showering and applying lotion. Ten out of 10, hemp body lotion made me feel better.
Next, here's everything you need to know about using CBD oil for anxiety.
The post I Tried CBD Hemp Body Lotion as a MoisturizerHeres My Review appeared first on The Healthy.
- Worldwide Cannabinoid Hemp Oil Industry to 2025 - Legalised Supply of Quality-controlled CBD Oil for Sale is Driving Growth - PRNewswire - April 23rd, 2021
- Best CBD Products To Try This Spring - vmagazine.com - April 23rd, 2021
- Martha Stewart, Jaleel White and more promote cannabis use: Experts weigh in on THC vs. CBD - USA TODAY - April 23rd, 2021
- The Chemistry of Delta-8 'New and Improved' THC - American Council on Science and Health - April 23rd, 2021
- How to Buy CBD for Dogs in Maryland - The Southern Maryland Chronicle - April 23rd, 2021
- The Benefits of Vaping CBD Oil - - VENTS Magazine - April 23rd, 2021
- Global Cannabidiol Oil (CBD Oil) Market 2021 Growth Analysis, Research, Trends, Key Players and Forecast to 2027 Clark County Blog - Clark County... - April 23rd, 2021
- Global Pharmaceutical Grade Hemp Oil Market 2021 with Top Countries Data Industry Growth Analysis, Future Demand and Leading Players Updates by... - April 23rd, 2021
- Hemp legalization to help crop diversity in rural communities, bring in additional revenue - KTVB.com - April 23rd, 2021
- Hemp Oil Market 2021 Size Share Upcoming Trends Segmentation, Opportunities and Forecast To 2026 Northern Gwinnett News - Northern Gwinnett News... - April 23rd, 2021
- Nextleaf Solutions Onboards New Partner and Delivers Initial Bulk CBD Order - StreetInsider.com - April 23rd, 2021
- CBD Oil (Middle East and Africa) Market to Witness the Highest Growth Globally in Coming Years 2021-2027 The Courier - The Courier - April 23rd, 2021
- Does CBD Oil Expire? How to Check and Whether It's Safe - Healthline - April 23rd, 2021
- CBD Oil Market Insights, Forecast and Global Industry Analysis | Medical Marijuana, FOLIUM BIOSCIENCES, IrieCBD The Courier - The Courier - April 23rd, 2021
- How Houstons Hemp-Based Highway Vodka Went From Hobby to Hot Commodity - Eater Houston - April 23rd, 2021
- CBD oil, mental health days for first responders? Here are some resources Austin personnel could be getting - KXAN.com - April 11th, 2021
- 11 Best CBD Companies to Buy From in 2021: Honest Reviews & Guide - Observer - April 11th, 2021
- Top 9 Tips on Using CBD Oil - Oregon Cannabis Connection - April 11th, 2021
- The Benefits of CBD Gummies - Orlando Magazine - April 11th, 2021
- Best CBD Dog Treats To Reduce Dog's Anxiety & Pain - Bainbridge Island Review - April 11th, 2021
- 7 Vegan CBD Products That Will Destress You Right Now - VegNews - April 11th, 2021
- CBD Oil Extract Market Global Demand to Offer Lucrative Growth Prospects For Manufacturers By Aurora Cannabis, MARICANN, Tilray, Tikun Olam, The... - April 11th, 2021
- I Tried Tommy Chong's Good Vibes Protocol CBD & It Changed Everything - L.A. Weekly - April 11th, 2021
- What To Expect In 2021 from CBD Oil Market, Know Why Competition is Rising The Bisouv Network - The Bisouv Network - April 11th, 2021
- CBD Oil Extract Market Insights, Facts, Figures and Trends 2021-2027 | MarketDigits The Bisouv Network - The Bisouv Network - April 11th, 2021
- Marijuana dispensary could be within reach for local CBD shop owner - wtkr.com - wtkr.com - April 11th, 2021
- Reefer Madness Crowd Discovers CBD With Predictable Results - The Fresh Toast - April 11th, 2021
- CBD of Denver Inc. Reports First Quarter 2021 Revenue of USD $7.3 Million - Yahoo Finance - April 11th, 2021
- Full Spectrum Cannabis Products Industry Expected To Remain Robust Through 2027 - PRNewswire - April 11th, 2021
- SMPLSTC Reveals 3 New CBD Tinctures - PR Web - March 31st, 2021
- Hemp Oil Market Future Growth Prospect, Industry Report And Growing Demand Analysis Till 2026 KSU | The Sentinel Newspaper - KSU | The Sentinel... - March 31st, 2021
- CBD Oil Market 2021 is Showing Impressive Growth by 2029 | Industry Trends, Share, Size, Top Key Players Analysis and Forecast Research KSU | The... - March 31st, 2021
- CBD for Alzheimer's? The Cannabidiol Craze Makes Its Way Into Research - Being Patient - March 31st, 2021
- Global CBD Oil Market Manufacturers, Technology, Segmentation and Development Trends Forecasts to 2025 SoccerNurds - SoccerNurds - March 31st, 2021
- Heres Why Everybody Is Trying CBD Body Wash - SF Weekly - March 31st, 2021
- Europe CBD Oil Market Major factor driving the growth of this market is the medical advantages of CBD oil | DBMR The Courier - The Courier - March 31st, 2021
- Canna Comforts continues to expand with its focus on Hemp CBD products that heal - PR Web - March 31st, 2021
- US hemp oil Market: Current Market Scenario And Industry Forecasts 2021-2027|| Know the Companies List Could Potentially Benefit or Loose out From the... - March 31st, 2021
- CBD of Denver Inc. (CBDD) Becomes One of the First CBD Companies to Accept Bitcoin and Other Crypto Currencies - Yahoo Finance - March 31st, 2021
- Legacy Distribution Group, a Subsidiary of CBD Global Sciences, to Begin Distribution for Docklight Brands Inc. - Yahoo Finance - March 31st, 2021
- CBD Could Be A Key to Treating Addiction Long-Term, Studies Show - Observer - March 31st, 2021
- Global $13.4 Billion Cannabidiol Market to 2028 - Increasing Awareness CBD Health Benefits, Changing Consumer Opinion, and Attitude Toward CBD... - March 25th, 2021
- What are the uses and benefits you get from CBD cannabis? - News Anyway - March 25th, 2021
- Hemp is Becoming a Global Business As Market Projects Big Gains By 2024 - PRNewswire - March 25th, 2021
- CBD oil and MCI here's what you need to know - GoCogno.com - March 25th, 2021
- Mum tells how Paisley brothers' cannabis oil changed her life after years of pain - Daily Record - March 25th, 2021
- Cannabinoid Hemp Oil Market Research Report by Form, by Source, by Distribution Mode, by Application - Global Forecast to 2025 - Cumulative Impact of... - March 11th, 2021
- Is Cannabis Good For Gut Health? - The Fresh Toast - March 11th, 2021
- Idaho farmers are one step closer to growing hemp legally, as House passes bill - Southernminn.com - March 11th, 2021
- BevCanna Solidifies Partnership with Nextleaf to Manufacture High-Quality THC and CBD Infused Beverages - Business Wire - March 11th, 2021
- Cannabis Oil Market to Witness Huge Growth by Emblem Cannabis Oils, CV Sciences, Halo - NeighborWebSJ - March 11th, 2021
- Global Hemp Seed Oil Market Research and Impressive Industry Growth Report 2027 KSU | The Sentinel Newspaper - KSU | The Sentinel Newspaper - March 11th, 2021
- 6 Best CBD Oil for Sleep 2021 - Hemp Products That Actually Help | HeraldNet.com - The Daily Herald - March 5th, 2021
- Hands Down, These Are the Best CBD Oils for Better Sleep and Relaxation - Yahoo Lifestyle - March 5th, 2021
- How To Boost Your Health With CBD Oil - KHTS Radio - March 5th, 2021
- CBN Oil for Sleeping Is Better Than Melatonin and CBD - The Daily Beast - March 5th, 2021
- Best CBD Dog Treats - Top 4 Brands... - Kitsap Daily News - March 5th, 2021
- Global CBD Oil Extract Market: Industry Analysis and Forecast (2021-2027) by Type, Application, and Region Canopy Growth Corporation, Aphria, Aurora... - March 5th, 2021
- 10 Best CBD Companies to Buy From in 2021: Honest Reviews & Guide - Observer - March 5th, 2021
- 5 Reasons Why Vaping Is The Best Way To Take CBD - South Florida Caribbean News - March 5th, 2021
- CBD Topicals: What Are They and How Do They Work? - TheNationRoar - March 5th, 2021
- Global CBD Oil Market: Predictable to Demand Drivers and Growth Stimulators Expected to Growth During the Forecast Period 2026 - NY Market Reports - March 5th, 2021
- CBD oil to relax and fight stress - Australian Times - March 5th, 2021
- Cannabidiol Oil Market Forecast Revised in a New Market Research Store Report as COVID-19 Projected to Hold a Massive Impact on Sales in 2021 The... - March 5th, 2021
- Cannabidiol, skin homeostasis and acne skin care - Open Access Government - March 5th, 2021
- Like CBD, turmeric has taken the modern wellness industry by stormand for good reason! - OK! - March 5th, 2021
- Hemp oil Market Increasing Demand, Industry Share, Growth with Industry Study Pandemic, Upcoming Years and How it is Going to Impact on Global... - February 22nd, 2021
- Recent Study on CBD Hemp Oil Market 2021 Including Key Players, Applications, and Growth Size By 2026 Express Keeper - Express Keeper - February 22nd, 2021
- Health Benefits of CBD Oil for Women | Info4u | indiawest.com - India West - India West - February 22nd, 2021
- Leafreport: Less than 1 in 4 CBD topicals contain the amount of CBD labeled - PRNewswire - February 22nd, 2021
- Global CBD Oil Market Insights, Overview, Analysis and Forecast 2021 2023 SoccerNurds - SoccerNurds - February 22nd, 2021
- Keebler cookies, cbdMD Gummies among 2021 Products of the Year - Candy Industry - February 22nd, 2021
- Legal Marijuana Market Analysis with Top Trends, Leading Companies, Key Regions, Segments, Mergers and Foreseen By DBMR Till 2027 : VIVO Cannabis, Dr.... - February 22nd, 2021
- CBD Oil Market to Witness Stunning Growth To Generate Massive Revenue Forecast to 2027 Gaia Herbs ENDOCA, Diamond CBD, NuLeaf Naturals The Courier -... - February 22nd, 2021
- Europe CBD Oil Market Set to Witness Huge Growth and Competitive Outlook Aurora Cannabis, Diamond CBD, ENDOCA The Courier - The Courier - February 22nd, 2021
- Global Medical Cannabis Based Oil Extract-Infused Products Market Trends and Vendors Analysis after Covid-19 Pandemic Opportunities Scenario... - February 22nd, 2021
- Hempura Plans to Bring Authentic CBD Oil Products to the United States - Yahoo Finance - February 6th, 2021
- 5 Best CBD Ointments and Salves of 2021 - Healthline - February 6th, 2021
- Benefits of the CBD oil - - VENTS Magazine - February 6th, 2021
- Cbd Oil Market COVID-19 Impact and Analysis by Type,, Application, and Country KSU | The Sentinel Newspaper - KSU | The Sentinel Newspaper - February 6th, 2021