Baba Yaga, the latest VR narrative experience from the award-winning team at Baobab Studios.
Unity is the worlds leading platform for creating and operating interactive, real-time 3D content. With this game-changing platform, creators can build 2D and 3D content for almost any device imaginable from PC and mobile phones to gaming consoles, XR platforms, and more.
I caught up with Unitys VP for Social Impact Jessica Lindl to hear more about how this ground-breaking company is innovating for social good with their Social Impact division.
Afdhel Aziz: Jessica, welcome! Please tell us a little about Unitys social impact division and how it came about?
Jessica Lindl: At Unity, we believe the world is a better place with more creators in it. This philosophy is centered around serving creators and is the beating heart of our company.
While we are best known for our roots in gaming, were seeing that our technology is also being used to drive meaningful social change from creators who are imagining our futures and re-telling our histories from more inclusive perspectives. They are propelling creativity, creating experiences that connect more deeply to our global society. Their work is critical and profound.
The recent launch of our Social Impact division, which I have the pleasure of leading, is aimed at empowering creators of all backgrounds to foster a more inclusive, sustainable world. Positive change can come from anyone, anywhere, and wed like to be a part of it.
Jessica Lindl, VP for Social Impact at Unity
Aziz: Its amazing to see how much creators have been able to harness the platform for social impact - was that a conscious effort on the part of the company?
Lindl: It certainly was, and its great to see. The Social Impact division was born from a conversation I had with Unitys CEO, John Riccitiello about a year ago, when we were seated next to each other on a long return flight. One of the things we discussed was a term John called enlightened capitalism, and the fact that Unity could do well as a company while doing good.
That concept has actually been embedded in Unitys values ever since it was founded, and Unity creators have been active in areas like education, sustainability, and health and well-being for years. The eureka moment from that flight was that we could and should do more to accelerate social change.
Unity is the worlds leading platform for creating and operating interactive, real-time 3D content.
Aziz: So cool! Please tell us about some of the projects youve been associated with that youre proudest of?
Lindl: Were very proud of our inaugural Unity for Humanity Summit, it was both the first event hosted by the Social Impact division and Unitys first ever virtual event. The response quite honestly exceeded our most optimistic expectations.
At the event, we announced the opening of the Unity for Humanity call for submissions, a program that provides technical, marketing, and monetary support for Unity creators building content for the betterment of the world. We had almost 250 submissions, with an astounding number from inclusive teams, submitting content relating to health and well-being, sustainability, economic opportunity, civil rights, and more. With so many submissions, it speaks to the power of the idea that technology can bring about real-world change, and that so many people are searching for sparks to make it happen.
Creators from more than 41 countries submitted, which gives me hope that we really are reaching a global audience, not just those in the US. And while we havent publicly announced the winners yet, I can say that Ive been blown away by the creativity, inclusivity, and impact these projects represent.
We hope that some of the Summits attendees found that kind of inspiration. From Future Aleppo founder Alex Pearson connecting with funders to continue his work to help refugees rebuild their cities, to Black Terminus creator Damien McDuffie finding like-minded people to support building Black AR monuments that can turn neighborhoods into living museums - the feedback has been incredible.
Aziz: Please tell us about some of the creators that we should keep our eyes on, doing really groundbreaking work?
Lindl: I could pick any number of projects to highlight, as the ways that creators are using Unity never cease to amaze me. One that feels especially relevant right now is The Changing Same, an immersive, episodic VR experience where the participant travels through time and space to witness the connected historical experiences of racial injustice in America. Its a respectful, haunting story infused with magical realism and Afrofuturism about the uninterrupted cycle of the 400-year history of racial terror past and present.
The Changing Same is an immersive, episodic VR experience where the participant travels through time ... [+] and space to witness the connected historical experiences of racial injustice in America.
Another experience that I really admire is Dots Home, which reminds us that for many Black and Brown Americans, there is an understanding that the U.S. land and housing system is rigged against them, and while the consequences and impact of said injustices are often explored, the choices that marginalized communities have had to make when navigating within the system have not. Dots Home is a video game that follows a young Black woman in Detroit living in her grandmothers beloved home, as she travels through time to relive key moments in her familys history where race, place, and home collide in difficult choices.
Lastly, another project I love is Baba Yaga, the latest VR narrative experience from the award-winning team at Baobab Studios. It has big-time star power involved Jennifer Hudson is the executive producer, and the voice cast includes Kate Winslet, Daisy Ridley, and Glenn Close but at its heart is a breathtaking, emotional example of inclusive storytelling that is hard to envision being told in any other way.
Aziz: Thanks for sharing! And finally, please tell us about the work youre doing with the United Nations?
Lindl: As part of our first wave of Social Impact initiatives, we announced that Unity was joining the Playing for the Planet Alliance, a group of video game companies convened by the UN Environment Programme. By joining the Alliance, member companies pledge to take action to aid the environment in a number of ways, ranging from green activations in games to reducing emissions and plastics in video game products.
As part of this alliance, our specific Unity Social Impact commitment is to elevate and celebrate the Unity experiences that are made with an eye toward a positive impact on the environment or particularly eco friendly. Not only does this align with our overall goals for the Social Impact division, but it ensures Unity is taking an active role alongside other industry leaders in tackling the climate crisis.
Here is the original post:
- Rackspace Technology Named a Top 15 Sourcing Standout by ISG - GlobeNewswire - May 11th, 2021
- Enhancing the impact of Technology Modernization Fund - FCW.com - May 11th, 2021
- Converge Technology Solutions Corp. Wins Five IBM Awards Including Top North America National Sell Business Partner of the Year - PRNewswire - May 11th, 2021
- DLS Technology Corporation Recipient of the 2020 Citrix Innovation Award for Partners - GlobeNewswire - May 11th, 2021
- Hempacco and Open Book Extracts to Debut Hemp Cigarette Flavoring Technology at Industry's Largest Annual Trade Show - Yahoo Finance - May 11th, 2021
- Experts to Discuss the Future of the Technology Supply Chain - inForney.com - May 11th, 2021
- Funny faces in face recognition could increase phone security with new technology - NBC2 News - May 11th, 2021
- Technically speaking: How technology helped save independent Dallas restaurants during the pandemic - The Dallas Morning News - May 11th, 2021
- Why International Game Technology Stock Popped Today - Motley Fool - May 11th, 2021
- Lack of Time for Analysis, Adoption of New Technology and Data Limitations are Top Challenges Facing Finance Teams, According to insightsoftware... - May 11th, 2021
- High Technology Is Best STEM School In Nation - Patch.com - May 11th, 2021
- Multiple Texas State, Local Governments and Education Institutions Modernize with GTY Technology Solutions for Digital Transformation - Business Wire - May 11th, 2021
- 2022 Volkswagen Tiguan freshens up with new styling, technology, and touch controls - The Car Connection - May 11th, 2021
- Why Technology Could Be The Answer For The Global Obesity Epidemic - Yahoo Finance - May 11th, 2021
- Marchex to Participate in the 16th Annual Virtual Needham Virtual Technology & Media Conference - Business Wire - May 11th, 2021
- Merkle Technologies Set to Launch Revolutionary Blockchain Technology that will Enhance Ledger Communication - PRNewswire - May 11th, 2021
- Fungicide Approved with Three-Way Biological, Chemical and Nano Technologies - Agweb Powered by Farm Journal - May 11th, 2021
- Worldwide Mobile Robotics Industry to 2029 - Featuring Northrop Grumman, Adept Technology and John Deere Among Others - ResearchAndMarkets.com -... - May 11th, 2021
- Global Sports Technology Market (2021 to 2026) - Featuring IBM, Cisco and Ericsson Among Others - ResearchAndMarkets.com - Business Wire - May 11th, 2021
- 10 Hot Data Center Technologies And Trends To Watch In 2021 - CRN - May 11th, 2021
- Outlook on the Oleoresins Global Market to 2025 - by Manufacturers, Regions, Technology, Application and Product Type - ResearchAndMarkets.com -... - May 11th, 2021
- FICS Hosts 34th Annual Users' Conference, Promotes Education in Technology for Continued Success - Business Wire - May 11th, 2021
- Loop inks LOI to become official technology partner to $2.7B All Net Resort and Arena Project in Las Vegas - Proactive Investors USA - May 11th, 2021
- Shift Technology raises $220M at a $1B+ valuation to fight insurance fraud with AI - TechCrunch - May 11th, 2021
- Hearing aids for the masses: How changing technology and government policy can help - The Denver Post - April 25th, 2021
- Safety belts, the postal 'service' and using technology - Antelope Valley Press - April 25th, 2021
- FHSU Hosting Technology Education Fair - KSAL - April 25th, 2021
- New Oriental Education & Technology Group (NYSE:EDU) May Have Issues Allocating Its Capital - Yahoo Finance - April 25th, 2021
- Cloud software marketplaces are linchpin to driving innovative technology solutions into DoD - C4ISRNet - April 25th, 2021
- Technology allowed Extension to keep doing its job - Traverse City Record Eagle - April 25th, 2021
- Abbott Vascular: delivering vascular care in 2021 | Technology & AI - Healthcare Global - Healthcare News, Magazine and Website - April 25th, 2021
- The Future of Retail: BOPIS 2.0 and RFID Technology | RFID JOURNAL - RFID Journal - April 25th, 2021
- How can technology bridge fintech and SMEs to ease the lending process - YourStory - April 25th, 2021
- The good, the bad and the truly horrifying potential of CRISPR technology | TheHill - The Hill - April 25th, 2021
- How Technology Is Revolutionizing Wildlife Photography - Fstoppers - April 25th, 2021
- This has just become a big week for AI regulation - MIT Technology Review - April 25th, 2021
- SEC Commissioner on Banning Bitcoin: 'It's Very Difficult to Ban Peer-to-Peer Technology' Regulation Bitcoin News - Bitcoin News - April 25th, 2021
- Russia will rework technology developed for the ISS for its space station - SlashGear - April 25th, 2021
- Paritosh Jauhari Joins Successive Technologies as Chief Technology Officer - PR Newswire India - April 23rd, 2021
- Amazon's cashierless checkout technology is coming to its new supermarkets - CNBC - April 23rd, 2021
- Blockchain Technology Market Value Reach US$ 3.7 Billion By 2020 Covering Pre And Post COVID-19 Market Analysis: Acumen Research And Consulting -... - April 23rd, 2021
- Verrency Ranked Number 1 Fastest Growing Technology Company in Australia on the Deloitte Technology Fast 500 Asia Pacific 2020 Ranking - PRNewswire - April 23rd, 2021
- Wearable technology market was valued at USD 116.2 billion in 2021 and is anticipated to reach USD 265.4 billion by 2026, growing at a CAGR of 18.0%... - April 23rd, 2021
- Sharing Economy International Invests to develop NFT Technology into ECrent to Open Up Digital Items Sharing - PRNewswire - April 23rd, 2021
- Inclusive Making course focuses on disabled users in technology spaces - Daily Northwestern - April 23rd, 2021
- How smart technology can drive the decarbonisation of transport - AirQualityNews - April 23rd, 2021
- Abel Noser Solutions Expands Their Technology Group with New Hires - GlobeNewswire - April 23rd, 2021
- EyeWay Vision Joins Technology Innovation Collective The LaSAR Alliance | ARPost - ARPost - April 23rd, 2021
- Visionox Technology, Inc. and Universal Display Corporation Extend Long-Term OLED Agreements - Business Wire - April 23rd, 2021
- SBA Announces First-of-Its-Kind Technology Initiative for Restaurant Revitalization Fund - Drgnews - April 23rd, 2021
- Dow and Mura Technology announce partnership to scale game-changing new advanced recycling solution for plastics - Yahoo Finance - April 23rd, 2021
- II-VI Incorporated Inaugurates Technology and R&D Center in Shanghai - GlobeNewswire - April 23rd, 2021
- Skycatch Announces New Technology Initiatives to Achieve Climate-Resilient Infrastructure Globally - PRNewswire - April 23rd, 2021
- JetBlue Technology Ventures Invests in Universal Hydrogen to Support the Airline's Ambitious Sustainability Strategy - Business Wire - April 23rd, 2021
- Apria Healthcare Collaborates with Rackspace Technology to Leave the Data Center Resulting in Improved Customer Experience and Increased Savings -... - April 23rd, 2021
- Interactive College of Technology and DeVry University Partner to Create Unique Academic Pathway to Offer Students Easy Transfer - Business Wire - April 23rd, 2021
- Airbiquity and NXP Expand Technology Collaboration to Address Automaker Challenges with Managing Software and Data for Intelligent Connected Vehicles... - April 23rd, 2021
- DNA technology leads to arrest of man accused of sexually assaulting girl at East Texas camp - Tyler Morning Telegraph - April 23rd, 2021
- Lumeda Selected as one of the 25 Technology Companies to Watch in the Greater Hartford Area - WFMZ Allentown - April 23rd, 2021
- Accelerating Turnover to New Technology Diesel Engines, Increased use of Biobased Diesel Fuels Ensures Steady Progress on Carbon Reduction, Clean Air... - April 23rd, 2021
- Professional Sports Authenticator Acquires Genamint to Introduce Next-Generation Technology to Grading Process - PRNewswire - April 23rd, 2021
- When Seconds Count: The Technology That Saved Lives In Oologah's Powerful 1991 Tornado - News On 6 - April 23rd, 2021
- Digital Health Technologies Market is Projected to Reach USD 68.17 billion and Rise at CAGR of 4.80% by 2028 - GENERAL ELECTRIC COMPANY, Abbott, Bosch... - April 23rd, 2021
- How to Use Technology to Prepare for Travel During the Coronavirus Pandemic - The New York Times - April 15th, 2021
- Frasil: Deciphering Technology to Reduce Isolation and Improve Communication of PLWDs - Analytics Insight - April 15th, 2021
- The Blacks in Technology Foundation Partners with Apprenti to Increase Black Representation Across the Tech Industry - PRNewswire - April 15th, 2021
- Nokia technology chief: The future is in software - FierceWireless - April 15th, 2021
- DUG Technology, Curtin University Enter Into Supercomputing Partnership - HPCwire - April 15th, 2021
- Outlook on the Wireless Charging Global Market to 2026 - by Technology, Transmission Range, Application and Region - ResearchAndMarkets.com - Business... - April 15th, 2021
- Beth.Technology Announces Major Rebrand to I/O Fund - Business Wire - April 15th, 2021
- Ivy Tech receives $17k in sheet metal donation for Automotive Technology Program - WANE - April 15th, 2021
- Fed OIGs Leveraging Technology to Adjust to Pandemic Landscape - MeriTalk - April 15th, 2021
- Pre- and Post-COVID, Technology Is Reshaping Admissions Forever | Call to Action: Marketing and Communications in Higher Education - Inside Higher Ed - April 15th, 2021
- We Dont Need Tech Infomercials - The New York Times - April 15th, 2021
- This information technology stock has zoomed 134% in 6 weeks - Business Standard - April 15th, 2021
- 2021 Leadership Quadrant of Millimeter Wave Technology Suppliers - 8 Companies Included Such as Ridgewave, E-Band and Lightpointe -... - April 15th, 2021
- Coronavirus vaccine technology is paving the way for a whole new approach to flu shots - The Spokesman-Review - April 15th, 2021
- Japan's ticket to zero carbon could be century-old technology - The Japan Times - April 15th, 2021
- ABERDEEN INTERNATIONAL (TSX:AAB, FR:A8H, OTC:AABVF) Technology Partner T2M Global Selected by the US Department Of Energy to Use AES-100 Technology to... - April 15th, 2021
- Advanced Manufacturing Technology (AMT) TechVision Opportunity, Annual Subscription - Latest Global Innovations and Developments - Yahoo Finance UK - April 15th, 2021