There are many ways to treat anxiety without medication, from various types of therapy to dietary and lifestyle factors.
Anxiety is one of the most common mental health challenges. The National Institute of Mental Health estimates that 19.1% of adults had an anxiety disorder during the past year.
Anxiety treatment without medication can and does work. It is important for people to work with a knowledgeable provider and discuss their specific concerns about medication.
Keep reading to learn more about treating anxiety without medication, including through psychotherapy, diet, alternative therapies, and more.
Exercise can help manage symptoms of anxiety and, in some people, may even be a substitute for other types of treatment.
A 2018 systematic review and meta-analysis found that aerobic exercise especially high-intensity exercise could be particularly beneficial.
However, the authors of that study caution that the wide variability in types of exercise included in the review and the small sample sizes of many studies limits the data. Scientists must continue their research to prove conclusively that exercise is an effective treatment for anxiety.
Learn more about the physical and mental health benefits of exercise here.
Psychotherapy is a highly effective intervention for anxiety. In fact, the American Psychological Association emphasizes that therapy is typically more effective than medication. This is because psychotherapy gives a person the chance to talk about their anxiety, explore coping mechanisms, and work through experiences that contribute to their anxiety.
Cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT) may be particularly effective. This treatment focuses on helping a person understand the connection between their thoughts, emotions, and behaviors. Through treatment, a person learns to disrupt automatic negative thoughts and find alternatives to anxious patterns of thinking.
Learn more about different types of therapy here.
Some people find that changing their diet helps reduce anxiety. Options to consider include:
Many foods may also contain nutrients that could help reduce symptoms of anxiety.
Learn more about them here.
Anxiety can be very isolating. Support groups help people with anxiety feel less alone. They may also offer practical wisdom that can help a person find the right provider, talk to their loved ones about their anxiety, or manage the process of seeking workplace accommodations.
Support groups come in many forms, such as anonymous online message boards, in-person meetings, and virtual sessions. Some therapists also facilitate support groups. A person should consider their schedule, comfort level, and goals when deciding which type of support group to try.
People with anxiety need support from loved ones. Education about anxiety may help families better support children and other loved ones.
Educational and workplace accommodations may also help. They can prevent anxiety from causing additional stress, such as from the loss of a job or a failing grade.
Some people find that complementary and alternative treatments, such as massage, acupuncture, or chiropractic care, help their anxiety symptoms. A 2018 systematic review of 13 mostly small studies suggests that both acupuncture and electro-acupuncture may ease anxiety.
While some studies report promising results, there is no conclusive data showing these treatments work. So people trying alternative remedies should use them as a complement to other treatments, not substitutes for care.
Other alternative therapies may also have some benefits in treating anxiety.
Learn more about herbs for anxiety here.
Transcranial magnetic stimulation (TMS) is a newer anxiety treatment that uses magnets to create a weak electrical current in the brain.
This current may stimulate the release of neurotransmitters that relieve anxiety or change how the brain processes anxiety. Doctors are not totally sure how it works.
A 2019 systematic review and meta-analysis suggests that TMS may help ease symptoms of generalized anxiety and post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD).
Various stress relief techniques may help ease anxiety. The right approach depends on the person and the type of anxiety. For example, people who feel anxiety about work may find that the right organizational system relieves their fear of missing a deadline, while people who feel anxious while home alone at night might invest in an alarm system or get a dog.
Some strategies that can work for different types of stress and anxiety include:
Learn more about relaxation techniques here.
Most people experience anxiety from time to time. When a person has anxiety so intense that it undermines sleep, daily functioning, or relationships, it is time to seek help. This type of anxiety is a medical condition. And while medication is an option, it is not the only treatment.
A doctor can help with getting the correct diagnosis, ruling out physical health issues, and finding therapy and other remedies.
A person should contact a doctor or healthcare provider if they experience the following:
Anxiety can feel physically and emotionally exhausting.
It may cause conflict in relationships, make work and school more difficult, and trigger chronic feelings of fear and isolation.
Anxiety is treatable without medication using the right combination of lifestyle changes, therapies, and support.
If a person is concerned about their anxiety, they should reach out to a mental health professional or doctor and not delay care.
- EDAP TMS SA to Announce First Quarter 2021 Financial Results on May 11, 2021 - Yahoo Finance - May 9th, 2021
- Greenbrook TMS Announces Change of Dates for Its First Quarter 2021 Financial Results - Business Wire - May 9th, 2021
- As One Pandemic Ends, My Tips on How To Navigate This Next One - MD Magazine - May 9th, 2021
- Global TMS(Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation) Coil Market by Type (H-coil, C-core Coil, Circular Crown Coil), By Application (Hospital, Clinic,... - May 9th, 2021
- Talent Management Systems (TMS) Market COVID -19 Impact | Growth, Analysis, Opportunities and Forecast To 2027 by Growing Players: Oracle, SAP, IBM,... - May 9th, 2021
- Vin Diesels break-dance video brings the internet as Ken guesses him to be Yeti on TMS - Republic TV - May 9th, 2021
- Greenbrook TMS Announces Proposed Public Offering of Common Shares - Business Wire - May 4th, 2021
- Ruan Partners with Mastery Logistics to Enhance TMS Platform and Redefine Supply Chain Software - DC Velocity - May 4th, 2021
- AscendTMS And uShip Partner to Support SMB Shippers with Seamless Neutral FTL / LTL Platform - DC Velocity - May 4th, 2021
- Qualifying with race downforce at Texas will aid TMS novices - Motorsport.com - May 4th, 2021
- MagVenture receives CE approvals for noninvasive brain treatment of addiction, OCD, and depression with anxiety symptoms - PRNewswire - May 4th, 2021
- Boston Seaport Announces Plans for The Holiday Market at Snowport and Calls All Makers, Artists and Chefs to Apply - Boston Real Estate Times - May 4th, 2021
- Treasury Management System (TMS) Market To Surpass Covid-19 Cringe From 2021 Onward The Courier - The Courier - May 4th, 2021
- 123Loadboard Partners With AscendTMS for In-Depth Load Searching Integration - DC Velocity - April 23rd, 2021
- Global TMS(Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation) Coil Market 2020 by Manufacturers, Regions, Type and Application, Forecast to 2025 NeighborWebSJ -... - April 23rd, 2021
- Texas Motor Speedway Vaccination Clinic Closes Friday Due to Severe Weather - NBC 5 Dallas-Fort Worth - April 23rd, 2021
- TMS Neuronavigation Systems Market Production, Revenue and Price Forecast by Type 2021 to 2027 Neurosoft (Russia), neuroCare Group (Germany), Inomed... - April 23rd, 2021
- Tyto Athene, LLC Awarded $11.6M for United States Air Force Global Sustainment Task Orders for TMS, CTS and Enhanced 9-1-1 - Business Wire - April 15th, 2021
- Molecular Signatures of the Aging Process in Mice Revealed - Technology Networks - April 15th, 2021
- Elite Transit Solutions Announces Aggressive Growth: Opens New Chicago and Charlotte Locations and Begins Hiring 200+ Employees - PR Web - April 15th, 2021
- Toll Management System(TMS) Market 2021 Is Booming Across the Globe by Share, Size, Growth, Segments and Forecast to 2027 | Top Players Analysis-... - April 15th, 2021
- Analysts Offer Insights on Healthcare Companies: and Greenbrook Tms (GBNH) - Smarter Analyst - April 11th, 2021
- Global Transportation Management Systems (TMS) Market 2021 by Key Players, Regions, Type and Application, Forecast to 2027 (Based on COVID-19 Impact... - April 11th, 2021
- TMS(Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation) Coil Market 2021 Is Rapidly Increasing Worldwide in Near Future | Top Companies Analysis- MAG & More,... - April 11th, 2021
- Maven Machines Integrates with McLeod Software to Improve Fleet and Driver Workflow - DC Velocity - April 11th, 2021
- Another Win for Health Insurers, a Big Loss for this Patient - CounterPunch.org - CounterPunch - April 11th, 2021
- Transcranial Magnetic Stimulators (TMS) Market 2021 Is Booming Across the Globe by Share, Size, Growth, Segments and Forecast to 2027 | Top Players... - April 11th, 2021
- Global Transportation and Logistics Software Market Status Analysis and Forecast 2021-2027 with key player- TMW, 3G tms, AFS Transportation... - April 11th, 2021
- Neuro Wellness TMS Centers of America in Coral Springs: Many Depression Sufferers Have Tried Everything. It's Time To Try Nexstim TMS Therapy. -... - April 6th, 2021
- TMS Treatment for Autism: What is it and Does it Work? - Autism Parenting Magazine - April 6th, 2021
- Repetitive TMS demonstrates ability to reduce suicidal thoughts and behaviours - NeuroNews International - April 6th, 2021
- Can Edap Tms SA (EDAP) Stock Rise to the Top of Healthcare Sector Monday? - InvestorsObserver - April 6th, 2021
- Transcranial Magnetic Stimulators (TMS) Market is Expected to Grow with an Impressive CAGR till 2027 | Players Yiruide Neurosoft Neuronetics KSU |... - April 6th, 2021
- EDAP TMS S.A. (NASDAQ:EDAP) Just Reported Full-Year Earnings And Analysts Are Lifting Their Estimates - Simply Wall St - April 6th, 2021
- Drivers concerned by prospect of no-go zone at Texas - RACER - April 6th, 2021
- TMS(Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation) Coil Market 2021- Top Fastest Growing Segments and Emerging Opportunities The Bisouv Network - The Bisouv... - April 6th, 2021
- Edap Tms SA (EDAP) Is Higher By 13.81% Before the Open Wednesday - InvestorsObserver - April 6th, 2021
- What Kind Of Investors Own Most Of Greenbrook TMS Inc. (TSE:GTMS)? - Simply Wall St - April 6th, 2021
- Research on Transportation Management Systems (TMS) Market 2020: By Growing Rate, Type, Applications, Geographical Regions, and Forecast to 2025 -... - April 6th, 2021
- Transcranial Magnetic Stimulators (TMS) Market Worth $126.7 Million by 2026 and Forecasted to Grow at CAGR 0.093% from 2020 to 2030 Comprehensive... - April 6th, 2021
- Global oll Management System(TMS) Market Outlook, Industry Analysis and Prospect 2020 - The Bisouv Network - April 6th, 2021
- Reflecting film Market 2021 by Manufacturers, Regions, Type and Application, Forecast to 2026 |NIPPA, TOYOBO, TMS, Mitsubishi, Esopp Group, etc KSU |... - April 6th, 2021
- Talent Management Systems (TMS) Market 2021: Products/Services, Organizations, Industry Viewpoint Analysis & Breakthroughs Forecast by 2026 The... - April 6th, 2021
- Transportation Management System (TMS) Solution Market Size, Share, Trend, Growth Analysis, COVID-19 Impact, Forecast 2021-2027 | Oracle, SAP,... - April 6th, 2021
- Treasury Management System (TMS) Market Trend, Technology Innovations and Growth Prediction 2020-2026 - AlgosOnline - April 6th, 2021
- Treasury Management System (TMS) Market to Witness Strong Growth Over 2021-2027 | Key Manufacturers Overview- Oracle, Finastra, Salmon Software... - April 6th, 2021
- Active Recovery TMS opens sixth clinic in the Vancouver area | ClarkCountyToday.com - clarkcountytoday.com - March 31st, 2021
- EDAP TMS S.A. (EDAP) Stock Jumps 18.8%: Will It Continue to Soar? - Yahoo Finance - March 31st, 2021
- Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation (TMS) Ineffective for People with Bipolar Disorder - James Moore - March 31st, 2021
- New Efficacy Data on Theta Burst TMS for Bipolar Depression - Medscape - March 31st, 2021
- The COVID-19 Pandemic: Helping Those Who Suffer in Silence - Psychiatry Advisor - March 31st, 2021
- Transcranial Magnetic Stimulators (TMS) Market 2021 Will Reflect Significant Growth in Future with Size, Share, Growth, and Key Companies Analysis-... - March 31st, 2021
- Where Will Edap Tms SA (EDAP) Stock Go Next After It Is Higher By 19.44% in a Week? - InvestorsObserver - March 31st, 2021
- Talent Management Software (TMS) Market explored in the latest research report by Read Market Research- Cornerstone Ondemand, IBM, Lumesse and Others... - March 31st, 2021
- MagVenture introduces new solution to improve the ease of use for non-invasive brain stimulation - PRNewswire - March 21st, 2021
- Greenbrook to Commence Trading on NASDAQ - Business Wire - March 21st, 2021
- Axele Executive Named to SDCE 2021 Pros to Know - GlobeNewswire - March 21st, 2021
- Neuro Wellness TMS Centers Of America In Coral Springs: Do You Have Obsessive Compulsive Behaviors And Thoughts? - TAPinto.net - March 21st, 2021
- Transcranial Magnetic Stimulators (TMS) Market 2021: Applications, Types and Growing Trends in Market, Gross Margin and Market Share 2027 - Cabell... - March 21st, 2021
- Global Talent Management Software (TMS) Industry Key Drivers, Business Insights And Forecast 2026 : Cornerstone... - March 21st, 2021
- Global Treasury Management System (TMS) Market 2021 Industry Insights, Drivers, Top Trends, Global Analysis And Forecast to 2027 - The Courier - March 21st, 2021
- C.H. Robinson's Freightview Technology Platform Named Compatible Solution of the Year by FedEx - Business Wire - March 21st, 2021
- Transportation Management Systems (TMS) Market worth $4330.8 million by 2026 and projected to rise at CAGR 14.5% from 2020 to 2030 Exclusive Report... - March 21st, 2021
- Global Transportation Management Systems (TMS) Market 2021 Industry Insights, Drivers, Top Trends, Global Analysis And Forecast to 2027 - The Courier - March 21st, 2021
- State-of-the art depression clinic opening at local Wellness Centre - Portadown Times - March 21st, 2021
- How to prevent psychosocial risks and the potential liability of the employer with the increase of remote work linked to Covid-19? - Lexology - March 21st, 2021
- Transportation Managem ent Systems (TMS) Market Expected to Witness High Growth over the Forecast 2026 SoccerNurds - SoccerNurds - March 21st, 2021
- Unique X & Copine to deploy Advertising Accord in Switzerland - DCinemaToday - March 21st, 2021
- Transcranial magnetic stimulation - Mayo Clinic - March 11th, 2021
- Transcranial magnetic stimulation (TMS): Hope for stubborn ... - March 11th, 2021
- Gebrder Weiss Goes Live with 3Gtms and CargoWise Integration for International and Domestic Transportation Management - GlobeNewswire - March 11th, 2021
- Connecting the Supply Chain One TMS at a Time - Supply and Demand Chain Executive - March 11th, 2021
- Transcranial Magnetic Stimulators (TMS) Market worth $126.7 million by 2026 and projected to rise at CAGR 9.3% from 2020 to 2030 Exclusive Report by... - March 11th, 2021
- Axele Webinar: How Small and Midsized Carriers Can Harness the Power of Data - GlobeNewswire - March 11th, 2021
- Transportation Management Systems (TMS) Market aspects that require the complete knowledge by: Webfleet Solutions, Masternaut, Microlise, Transics,... - March 11th, 2021
- The Forgotten Story of the First Toyota Sold in the U.S., the Toyopet Crown - autoevolution - March 11th, 2021
- BrainsWay to Report Fourth Quarter and Full Year 2020 Financial Results on March 25, 2021 - GuruFocus.com - March 11th, 2021
- XTM CEO Bob Willans on Raising Capital and the Future of Translation Pricing - Slator - March 11th, 2021
- Trade finance technology: New funding to help BuyCo link TMS with trade finance - JOC.com - February 22nd, 2021
- Reimagining the TMS for the age of e-commerce - DC Velocity - February 22nd, 2021