PEDESTRIAN.TV has partnered with Flatmates to help you find your next sharehouse MVP.
Lets get one thing straight sharehouse living can either be the communal utopia of your dreams or your little house of horror. And it depends, almost entirely, on your choice of humans to share said house with.
Now, Ive been sharing houses, bathrooms, fridge space and sometimes, to my absolute disgust towels for the better part of a decade now. Ive lived with everyone from the absolutely anal and downright dirty to the master chef, late-night partier and couch hog.
Ive lived with boyfriends and broken up with boyfriends. Ive lived with besties and made new ones for life. Sharehouse living can be a wild ride, but its also a once-in-a-lifetime experience and I wouldnt swap mine out for nada.
Im currently living in a sharehouse. All through lockdown, we were a peaceful abode comprised of three women, living and working together in zen-like tranquillity. But alas! Our Belgian housemate had to move back across the ocean and we were left to find a post-pandemic stranger to fill the empty room. Talk about daunting! Talk about needing to find the perfect roomie dynamic!
Heres what we did to make sure our new housie fit our vibe and wasnt a rubbish human:
Its one thing to chat online with potential housemates, but Im a firm believer in a face-to-face interview. Youre going to be LIVING with this person, you need to scope their energy, suss their vibe and ask them point-blank if they know how to scrub a bathtub.
We blocked off a week to hold house inspections and subsequently grill every person who walked in the door. Treat it like a job interview, ask the hard questions. Are they dating? Are they vegan? Are they off the booze wagon or on the booze wagon? Do they come with pets? What childhood trauma are they navigating? Whats their love language? Do they like Christmas movies? ASK IT ALL.
Platforms like Flatmates genuinely take all the hard work out of finding new roomies. It works like a dating site, where you plug in all your preferences like age, length of stay and price point rather than tall, dark and handsome and then swipe till you find the one.
Flatmates will filter people into matches based on your preferences (pet-friendly, LGBTQ-friendly, smoking or non-smoking, etc) saving you the hassle of scrolling through a heap of duds who cant afford your room rate. You can even write a bio about yourself and chuck up photos of the pad. Its stress-free and Im very pro it. Plus, I just like matching with people. Call me a narcissist, I dont care!
Okay, so youve got a short list of housemate applicants. The next step you should consider is plugging them into FB / IG / LinkedIn and seeing if youve got any friends in common. You do? Thats good news. Now go ahead and contact these mutual friends and ask them for a discreet, but honest, rundown on the potential roomie.
Its always good to get another persons objective opinion. Think of it as a low-key background check.
This is a no-brainer in todays modern world. Stalk the hell out of them. I know you cant necessarily judge a person based solely on their social media presence, but golly itll give you at least a little bit of insight.
Are they partiers? How do they spend their downtime? Do they seem to be normal and have normal friends and do normal things? How spiritual are they? Do they practice any weird occult rituals? Do they seem to have a stable job? Dont forget to hit up their tagged photos for the juicy, unfiltered stuff.
What would you do in the face of a zombie apocalypse? This question will help you identify their levels of selflessness versus psychopathy. It can also give you insight into their go-to survival methods, which, you never know, could one day come in handy. We are in the midst of a pandemic, after all.
If youre on the hunt for a housemate, just stress less already and start swiping on Flatmates. You wont regret it.
Read more here:
- Alt-Right Meme Culture Documentary You Cant Kill Meme Swooped on by Utopia (EXCLUSIVE) - Variety - August 4th, 2021
- Finally, a World Without Borders! Only Now Were Living in the 1995 Film Waterworld, Starring Kevin Costner - The New Yorker - August 4th, 2021
- Cindy Rosenwald: The Republican utopia - hypocrisy wrapped in a contradiction - The Union Leader - August 4th, 2021
- Joe Russo and The Bogie Band Collide To Bring Fans New Single, "The Witnesses" - NYSMusic - August 4th, 2021
- An evolving discipline: Evolutionary medicine brings together biological anthropology and public health | Binghamton News - Binghamton University - August 4th, 2021
- What's on the Broadway shows list for 2021, plus all you need to know about tickets - NorthJersey.com - August 4th, 2021
- The Artist Behind Hoboken's Britney Spears' Collage Installation - hobokengirl.com - August 4th, 2021
- Broadway vaccine rules: All the shows in New York that require vaccinations and Covid tests - New York Theatre Guide - August 4th, 2021
- Stop everything you're doing and buy some A24 merch - British GQ - August 4th, 2021
- The Democrats' Budget: The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly - New York Sun - August 4th, 2021
- New on the bookshelf: July 31, 2021 - Kankakee Daily Journal - August 4th, 2021
- IndieLisboa announces the programme for its 18th edition - Cineuropa - August 4th, 2021
- Come From Away Broadway recording to be streamed globally in September - WhatsOnStage.com - August 4th, 2021
- Revisiting a Utopian City With Fondness and Fury - The New York Times - July 27th, 2021
- Better to Have Gone Review: Dawn of a New Humanity - The Wall Street Journal - July 27th, 2021
- Annie Robbins: Will N.H. become the first Freedom Caucus anarchist utopia? - Conway Daily Sun - July 27th, 2021
- John Lennon's 'Imagine,' blared at the Olympics, is a totalitarian's anthem - New York Post - July 27th, 2021
- Grimes says her new song is about having to defeat Azealia Banks when she tried to destroy my life - NME - July 27th, 2021
- In quest for utopia, Auroville hopes that it can create a society without money using an app - Scroll.in - July 27th, 2021
- The Surprising Innovations of Pandemic-Era Sex - The Atlantic - July 27th, 2021
- Biden's Ministry of Education will deny "trying to turn the United States into a Marxist utopia": Star Parker - Texasnewstoday.com - July 27th, 2021
- Games: The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword HD still offers plenty to love in new HD do-over for the Switch - The Irish News - July 27th, 2021
- How the Partition contributed to the queerness of Urdu poetry to make it non-normative - Scroll.in - July 27th, 2021
- Spectra Art Space opens immersive art installation, Nova Ita, in Denver this summer - Denverite - July 2nd, 2021
- Opinion | The School Ritual: Utopia, Truth, and Spirituality in the Face of the Pandemic - Observatory of Educational Innovation - July 2nd, 2021
- Gossip Girl, Space Jam: A New Legacy, and more on HBO Max in July - Culturess - July 2nd, 2021
- New Albums to Stream Today: The Go! Team, Laura Mvula, Snapped Ankles and more - Paste - Paste Magazine - July 2nd, 2021
- A real go-GETTR: Former Trump aide tries to batter Twitter by ripping off its UI - The Register - July 2nd, 2021
- Canada Day muted as country reckons with treatment of indigenous, other minorities - Reuters - July 2nd, 2021
- Hear the 1st sounds from China's Mars rover Zhurong and watch it drive in new video - Space.com - July 2nd, 2021
- New Photos and Video Shows Chinas Zhurong Rover on the Move - Universe Today - July 2nd, 2021
- 6 Stories That Find Drama in Utopian Settings - tor.com - July 2nd, 2021
- Displaying Great Ingenuity on Spotify's 'Today's Top Hits' Campaign - Animation World Network - July 2nd, 2021
- Sneak peek at OzAsia Festival 2021 reveals new writing and ideas program, comedy night, Australian premiere concert and more | News - Aussie Theatre - July 2nd, 2021
- News of Note: What You Might Have Missed in June 2021 - Dance Magazine - July 2nd, 2021
- Travis Scott Vows To Rock Out Like Never Before W/ New Album - SOHH - July 2nd, 2021
- Go! Guide July 1 - The Republic - July 2nd, 2021
- After Alexei Navalny the opposition to Vladimir Putin has no single leader - Prospect - July 2nd, 2021
- Funny Papers Again Column | The Long, Lazy, Hazy Days of Summer - King City Rustler - July 2nd, 2021
- Austin Performer p1nkstar Is Creating New Worlds as a Trans Musician - The Texas Observer - June 28th, 2021
- Electric City: The Lost History of Ford and Edison's American Utopia by Thomas Hager - Winchester Sun - Winchester Sun - June 28th, 2021
- A political science alumna speaks her mind on the art canvas > News > USC Dornsife - USC Dornsife College of Letters, Arts and Sciences - June 28th, 2021
- The Saga of Palm Tree Island - Port City Daily - June 28th, 2021
- 'Space Jam: A New Legacy,' 'Gossip Girl,' and More are Coming to HBO Max in July 2021 - Cord Cutters News - June 28th, 2021
- Roberto Vaz missed the College World Series with an injury but now is watching his son play for Vanderbilt - Tuscaloosa Magazine - June 28th, 2021
- The Real Truth Behind the Biden Budget Double-Talk - New York Sun - June 28th, 2021
- New Memphis Colorways and Utopia: Way Outside the Box ... - June 23rd, 2021
- Utopia Falls Season 2: Release Date, Cast, Hulu, New ... - June 23rd, 2021
- Travis Scott new album 2021 'Utopia': Release date ... - June 23rd, 2021
- Pariss 15-Minute City Could Be Coming to an Urban Area ... - June 23rd, 2021
- Special Tony Awards Go to 'American Utopia,' 'Freestyle Love Supreme' - The New York Times - June 23rd, 2021
- 14 New Books Coming in July - The New York Times - June 23rd, 2021
- David Byrnes American Utopia, Freestyle Love Supreme and Broadway Advocacy Coalition to receive special Tonys - New York Theatre Guide - June 23rd, 2021
- West Haven to seek proposals for new broadband network to bolster internet options - Standard-Examiner - June 23rd, 2021
- Primary Day in N.Y.C.: Where the Races Stand - The New York Times - June 23rd, 2021
- David Byrnes American Utopia Finds Home On Broadway For September Return - Deadline - June 18th, 2021
- Utopia? Echoes of Delphi and Dreamweaver in new visual editor for React - The Register - June 18th, 2021
- Coventry and its cathedral: the rise and fall of an urban utopia - TheArticle - June 18th, 2021
- 'When Evening Has Passed and Tomorrow Comes' Exhibition Inspires and Reflects Utopia - Daily Utah Chronicle - June 18th, 2021
- Cupcakes and cannoli at Richfield's newest bakery at the Hub - Minneapolis Star Tribune - June 18th, 2021
- Can Science Survive the Death of the Universe? - Scientific American - June 18th, 2021
- This Dispenary Is Part Funhouse, Part Diner, and All Trippy - Green Entrepreneur - June 18th, 2021
- Bill Nemitz: Neo-Nazis moving to northern Maine? Say it ain't so - Press Herald - June 18th, 2021
- The Liverpool Biennial's Blinkered Approach to Feminist Art - frieze.com - June 18th, 2021
- Sims 4 is introducing cottagecore to the game with a new expansion pack - The A.V. Club - June 18th, 2021
- The Collective Alice, or, on Fear, Death, Multitudes, and Pain - E-Flux - June 18th, 2021
- How woke mayoral candidates want to NYC into Communist ... - May 27th, 2021
- Magma (comics) - Wikipedia - May 27th, 2021
- Winnie the Pooh musical headed to off-Broadway stage - Chicago Sun-Times - May 27th, 2021
- Netflix's Utopia, TVNZ's In the Long Run among great shows to stream this weekend - Stuff.co.nz - May 27th, 2021
- Insight - This bitcoin chaos will blow up your cyberpunk utopia - The Star Online - May 27th, 2021
- Austin is a 'utopia': Mayor Steve Adler talks homelessness and city growth on Joe Rogan podcast - Austonia - May 27th, 2021
- China's Zhurong Mars rover rolls onto the Martian surface (photos) - Space.com - May 27th, 2021
- Brave new virtual world: The Startup Wife, by Tahmima Anam, reviewed - Spectator.co.uk - May 27th, 2021
- Not Bitcoin. This will be the future of money - Mint - May 27th, 2021
- David Byrne on a lifetime of innovation and finding American Utopia - The FADER - May 27th, 2021
- 'Hadestown' jumps ahead of pack to welcome Broadway patrons - The Independent - May 27th, 2021
- Photo essay: What these artists and activists want you to know about their L.A. - Los Angeles Times - May 27th, 2021
- The Cut Podcast: The Other Side of Optimism - The Cut - May 27th, 2021
- Animation, storytelling, music and 5D events the main avenues of startup Moti towards our inner utopia CEO - Macau Business - May 27th, 2021