By Blake Carter
UGA Extension agent
Hello, Effingham County! March has come and gone and I cannot believe how fast time is passing.
It is already strawberry season, folks! Strawberries are in season so the time to get those beautiful red gems from local farms or producers is now.
You can always call or check out Georgia Growns Website to see some of the local farms or producers in the area. They include include:
Hodges Strawberry Farm
Address: 8705 Ga. Hwy 21 N
Newington, Ga. 30446
Phone: (912) 754-7257
Hours: Monday-Saturday, 9 a.m.-6 p.m. and 1-5 p.m. Sunday*
*Times may change due to availability of fruit so call ahead on Saturday afternoons or Sundays.
Address: 702 Bloomingdale Road
Bloomingdale, Ga. 31302
Phone: (912) 748-3035
Hours: Wednesday-Saturday, 9 a.m.-5 p.m.
So I am promoting in-season strawberries right now, but what about later in the year and I want to still know I am eating a local strawberry or I am still supporting a local farmer? Well, that is a great question that I want to focus on through this article. Storage and preservation of food is key to having a sustainable food supply for households all across the world.
With strawberries there are several options to preserve and store. The main ones I want to discuss are freezing and then turning those strawberries into jams, jellies, preserves, conserves and marmalades.
Freezing is a fantastic method of taking fresh strawberries and keeping them throughout the year to use in cooking or smoothies and so on. The first step in freezing is prepping the berry. Be selective in what strawberries you choose for this. Only use the fully ripe, firmer berry with a deep red color. The immature or defective fruit you may get in a pack can be eaten then but not used for freezing.
Another good tip is the bigger berries are not always the sweetest. Ask your farmer if they grow different varieties because some of them are sweeter than others. They are not always the big ones either!
Once selected, wash and remove the caps of the berries. From there, you have a choice to make. Three main freezing techniques include freezing whole berries in syrup, in sugar, and then finely sliced or crushed.
Freezing berries in syrup and sugar is very similar. For the syrup route, take the berries and put them into containers and cover with cold 50 percent syrup, leaving some headspace.
I am including the link to a syrup guide you can reference to determine the percent of water to sugar to create the syrup you would like. (https://nchfp.uga.edu/how/freeze/syrups.html) I used the term headspace and I will be saying that again in the next two methods as well.
I did not truly understand that term the first time I heard it. Headspace is the distance you measure between the top of the liquid (i.e. jam) in the jar and the jar rim.
Now as far as whole berries in sugar, all you have to do there is take three-fourths of a sugar to one quart of berries and mix until most of the sugar is dissolved. Then you just let it sit for 15 minutes, put into containers leaving headspace, seal and freeze.
The final method of freezing would be slicing or crushing the berry. You start by preparing the same way as you would the whole berry methods but, after washing and removing the caps, you slice or crush partially or completely.
Add the same cup sugar to 1 quart of berries. You then stir and let stand for 15 minutes, pack into containers leaving that headspace, seal and freeze. Thats it folks.
Freezing strawberries is super easy. There are non-sugar or unsweetened ways to pack as well and if yall are interested in those please reach out and I can share those with you as well.
Moving from freezing to changing that strawberry into another product is also a way to preserve or store the berries. UGA has a fantastic Bulletin titled So Easy to Preserve that defines the different products you can turn fruit into. I figured defining the type of products would be beneficial in deciding which product you would like to make.
Jellies are usually made by cooking fruit juice with sugar. (Some are made without cooking using special uncooked jelly recipes.) A good product is clear and firm enough to hold its shape when turned out of the container, but quivers when the container is moved. When cut, it should be tender yet retain the angle of the cut. Jelly should have a flavorful, fresh, fruity taste. Jams are thick; sweet spreads made by cooking crushed or chopped fruits with sugar.
Jams tend to hold their shape but are generally less firm than jelly. Preserves are small, whole fruit or uniform size pieces in a clear, slightly gelled syrup. The fruit should be tender and plump.
Conserves are jam-like products that may be made with a combination of fruits. They also contain nuts, raisins or coconut.
Marmalades are soft fruit jellies containing small pieces of fruit or peel evenly suspended in the transparent jelly. They often contain citrus fruit.
After choosing the type of product you would like to make I encourage taking time to research the procedure associated with making that jam or jelly or so on.
I will include at the end, fantastic links to UGA publications that discuss the procedures associated with canning and making these food products safely. I will always be happy to help guide yall to information and share some tips and tricks on food preservation.
Strawberries are too good to just enjoy in their prime season. Using these methods and tips, you can enjoy local strawberries year round! I hope yall find this helpful. I also want to let everyone know I have a blog website and a newsletter subscription sign-up.
If anyone is interested in the newsletter email, please reach out and I can get you on the list! Link to Blog: https://site.extension.uga.edu/effinghamanr/2020/05/helpful-cooking-and-storage-tips-for-strawberries/ Preserving Food Publication: https://secure.caes.uga.edu/extension/publications/files/pdf/FDNS-E-43-08_5.PDF Jams and Jellies: https://nchfp.uga.edu/how/can7_jam_jelly.html
Joke of the Week: What did one strawberry say to another? If you werent so sweet, we wouldnt be in this JAM!
If you have any questions, suggestions, or want further information, please give me a call at or stop by the Effingham County Extension Office, (912)754-8040, 501 N. Richland Ave., Rincon Ga. 31326.
- Sealand adds weekly Port of Wilmington call to its NAE service - American Journal of Transportation - May 16th, 2021
- FBI warns against faking your COVID-19 vaccination card - WHIO Radio - May 9th, 2021
- Officials are urging people not to forge Covid-19 vaccine cards. Here's why it matters - WTVA - May 9th, 2021
- US Fish and Wildlife Service Celebrates Mother's Day with Mothers of the Wild - Sierra Sun Times - May 9th, 2021
- Houses buyers are 'fighting over' that are flying off the market in less than 24 hours - Liverpool Echo - May 9th, 2021
- Las Vegas to Southern California high-speed rail project is back on track - Archinect - May 9th, 2021
- Nikita Dutta on vaccination drive for all above 18: The faster the procedures, the better for everyone - Hindustan Times - May 9th, 2021
- Portland Softball Splits with Red Wings - theportlandbeacon.com - May 9th, 2021
- Message in a bottle may have made its way from the Titanic to a university in Quebec - CTV News Montreal - May 9th, 2021
- Retired SEAL Jocko Willink surprises guard members, tells them to relish adversity - Stars and Stripes - May 1st, 2021
- Big cat sighting hoax exposed as creature prowling city park revealed to be Goshi - Chester Zoo's black jaguar - LeaderLive - May 1st, 2021
- 10 Top-Notch Small Kitchen Appliances on Sale that Make Perfect Mothers Day Gifts - Thrillist - May 1st, 2021
- 2021 May Municipal Elections: Election integrity starts at the local level. We have to get it right here. - KAMR - MyHighPlains.com - May 1st, 2021
- Rules of the club - Lexology - May 1st, 2021
- Here Are Some of the Rejected Arlington Logo Designs - ARLnow - May 1st, 2021
- MSC Set to Overtake Maersk as the World's Largest Container Line - The Maritime Executive - April 27th, 2021
- Marine Toilets Market Latest Innovations, Demand and Future Projections with top Major Key Player like Jabsco, Raritan Engineering, Reliance Products,... - April 27th, 2021
- Another sighting big cat in Blacon area of Chester - The Chester Standard - April 21st, 2021
- Column: Did Suez Canal Back-Up Have a N.C. Connection? - Southern Pines Pilot - April 19th, 2021
- Global Fresh and Naturally Fermented Birch Juice Market Size, Share, Value, and Competitive Landscape 2021 SoccerNurds - SoccerNurds - April 17th, 2021
- The story of the improbable micronation of Sealand - The Independent - April 15th, 2021
- Hannah Baiardi's new music comes "Straight From the Soul" - The Oakland Press - April 15th, 2021
- How to Get Rid of Ants, According to Experts - HouseBeautiful.com - April 15th, 2021
- Tree House brewery seeks final licenses to open in Sandwich by summer - Cape Cod Times - April 15th, 2021
- Ocean conditions, lost habitat drive salmon concerns | Opinion | thereflector.com - The Reflector - April 15th, 2021
- America's majority-minority confusion | TheHill - The Hill - April 15th, 2021
- Some Utah parents are protesting, but here's why Utah students will likely keep their masks on until summer - Salt Lake Tribune - April 15th, 2021
- Harvey Weinstein secretly indicted on rape charges by grand jury in Los Angeles - Q13 FOX (Seattle) - April 13th, 2021
- One on One: A link between a North Carolinian and the Suez Canal back-up? - The Coastland Times - The Coastland Times - April 13th, 2021
- Global Weatherstrip Seal Market Trends, Growth Demand, Opportunities & Forecast to 2026 | Cooper Standard, Toyoda Gosei, Hutchinson, Henniges,... - April 13th, 2021
- Madison takes second in 17 team Rigby Invite | Sports | rexburgstandardjournal.com - Rexburg Standard Journal - April 13th, 2021
- Banks, ATM booths face cash withdrawal pressure ahead of lockdown - Dhaka Tribune - April 13th, 2021
- Biohacking Market Report (2021-2027) | The Demand For The Market Will Drastically Increase In The Future | Apple Inc, Behavioral Tech, Fitbit, Inc.,... - April 13th, 2021
- Unified healthcare specialists boost their sales and profits - The Irish News - April 13th, 2021
- Call for more powers to be handed to "environmental watchdogs" after eight-year planning saga - Cheshire Live - April 11th, 2021
- Nine-year battle ends with 142 homes to be built on Chester flood plain land - Cheshire Live - April 11th, 2021
- DoD will release document highlighting military needs in 5G, software and data this spring - Federal News Network - April 11th, 2021
- Purging your garage of garbage: Spring an ideal time to clean out unwanted items and organize the rest - Albuquerque Journal - April 11th, 2021
- Alliance hike to mark end of Earth Week events - The-review - April 11th, 2021
- List Of John Cena Movies And Upcoming Ventures Non-Related To WWE - SportzWiki - April 11th, 2021
- Cocktail of the week: Mr Ji's Compton Libre recipe - The Guardian - April 11th, 2021
- Jack Carr On The Devils Hand: I Was Researching About The Weaponization Of Infectious Diseases Before COVID Hit - CBS San Francisco - April 11th, 2021
- Theres so much more to Sonoma Countys Fort Ross than the Russian connection - San Francisco Chronicle - April 11th, 2021
- World's Top Fighters Join Kill Cliff and Get Biofuel to Create the Clean Energy Team - GlobeNewswire - April 11th, 2021
- Pearlfisher brand identity for Consider Pastures gives product 'pride of place' - Transform magazine - April 11th, 2021
- Key Trends and Opportunities in the Construction Industry in Qatar to 2025 - Industry Forecast to Recover by 2.8% in 2021 Following COVID-19... - April 4th, 2021
- Aldi's Earth Grown Brand Receives Good Housekeeping Seal - Progressive Grocer - April 4th, 2021
- Who Will Move the Stone? - Atlantic Highlands Herald - Atlantic Highlands Herald - April 4th, 2021
- Baldwin Park cannabis businesses owe the city $4 million in outstanding fees - The San Gabriel Valley Tribune - April 4th, 2021
- Bank transactions to be carried out from 10am to 12:30pm amid lockdown - Dhaka Tribune - April 4th, 2021
- UA Prof. Schaller: The Ever Given saga has been years in the making - Arizona Daily Star - April 4th, 2021
- 123 immigrants discovered inside trailer of driver who says he was not aware he was transporting people - CDLLife - April 4th, 2021
- Plantings near streams a way to improve fish habitat - Bainbridge Island Review - April 4th, 2021
- On her own, Grace McGill opts for renovation of a Katy home - Houston Chronicle - April 4th, 2021
- Seal spotted swimming in river - Kent Online - April 4th, 2021
- Dandy's commission largest Welsh flag in the UK to fly when Wales can welcome visitors after lockdown - LeaderLive - March 31st, 2021
- AIS inspections stations to be opened April 10 Sheridan Media - Sheridan Media - March 31st, 2021
- Updated status of interprovincial air, sea, land travel in Thailand as of April 1 - Pattaya Mail - March 31st, 2021
- 2021-'22 Kindergarten Registration Underway in North Haven - Zip06.com - March 31st, 2021
- Commentary: Ocean conditions, lost habitat drive salmon concerns - The Daily World - March 31st, 2021
- Here's what to do in an active shooter situation - NorthJersey.com - March 31st, 2021
- 'Largest Welsh flag in the UK' to welcome back visitors to Wales after 'terrible year' - North Wales Live - March 31st, 2021
- Shipping movements - March 25, 2021 - Times of Malta - March 31st, 2021
- Rep. Jimmy Panetta takes up the cause of the disappearing monarch butterfly. - Monterey County Weekly - March 31st, 2021
- Latest e-book explores evolution of fluid-applied waterproofing - Construction Specifier - The Construction Specifier - March 31st, 2021
- Beware of fake COVID-19 vaccines: Here's how to spot one - ABS-CBN News - March 31st, 2021
- 5 refreshing ways to perk up your patio for the season - Yahoo News - March 31st, 2021
- The Safety and Comfort of My Patients Are Paramount at the LA Vein Center. - Magazine of Santa Clarita - March 31st, 2021
- Gaining Momentum: Over One Billion Square Feet of Space Enrolls in WELL Health-Safety Rating - Business Wire - March 31st, 2021
- Seattle Thunderbirds secure 3-2 win over the Portland Winterhawks - DUBNetwork - March 31st, 2021
- Five of the best parks in Cumbria to meet up with friends - News & Star - March 31st, 2021
- Construction on bridges over I-43 at the Hillside Interchange set to begin - Milwaukee Journal Sentinel - March 21st, 2021
- Now government health officials announce bubble and seal measures after October 1st - ThaiExaminer.com - March 21st, 2021
- How do you achieve a more eco-friendly propulsion system and minimise the footprint of your vessel? - Riviera Maritime Media - March 21st, 2021
- BJP candidates approach HC against rejection of nomination - Mathrubhumi English - March 21st, 2021
- Liberation endures forever - The Jewish Standard - March 21st, 2021
- Perseverance rover records sounds of driving on Mars Spaceflight Now - Spaceflight Now - March 21st, 2021
- EDITORIAL: Welcome everyone as if they are lost German tourists - Bangor Daily News - March 21st, 2021
- The Last Unknown Takes Viewers to Some of the Most Remote Islands on Earth - Gizmodo - March 21st, 2021
- Journey Through Fire and Ice: A tour of our carbon footprint, 23 miles above the Arctic Circle - Anchorage Press - March 21st, 2021