Download a PDF version of this article.
By: Shane Radliff
May 25, 2015
Jitsi is an open source platform similar to Skype and handles messaging, audio calls, and video calls. In addition to that, Jitsi comes stock with Off the Record (OTR) and Zimmerman Real Time Protocol (ZRTP) to provide secure communications.
OTR is the program used to encrypt messaging, while ZRTP is what encrypts VoIP (Voice over Internet Protocol) calls.
Since Jitsi comes stock with OTR and ZRTP, the install is quite simple; but to ensure simplicity and accuracy, I have decided to do a tutorial for the configuration and use of Jitsi on a Windows OS.
Note: I dont think the set-up for Windows vs. Mac is much different, so its possible you could use this for Mac OS too.
Downloading Jitsi and Setting up the XMPP Server
1. The first step is to download Jitsi.
2. While youre waiting for Jitsi to download, youll need to set-up an XMPP server. Head over to DuckDuckGo and sign-up. Note: make sure to remember your email (email@example.com) and password as you will need that to log-in.
3. After you have set-up your XMPP server through DuckDuckGo, youll need to open Jitsi.
4. Once Jitsi is open, youll click File and then Add New Account. It will give you a few options but youll want to login through the XMPP Server option (near the bottom of the list). Youll use the log-in information that you signed up with on DuckDuckGo. Note: the email will be something like: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Setting up Off the Record (OTR)
5. Next, find a buddy and add them. Youll do this by selecting the File dropdown and clicking the Add contact button.
6. Once you two are friends, youll need to highlight their name and click the message icon to start a conversation. Next, youll click the lock in the top right of the chat box. A dialogue should appear that states: John Doe is contacting you from an unrecognized computer. You should authenticate Youll then click the hyperlink to authenticate your buddy.
7. Once you click the link, a new window will appear. It will show your fingerprint and also the purported fingerprint of your buddy. At this point, you will have to use a separate channel to authenticate. That can be done by a VoIP call, phone call, or in person. Youll read your fingerprint and then your buddy will read theirs. If they match, then you will click Authenticate Buddy.
8.After you click Authenticate Buddy, check the chat window and make sure the lock is green and has no further warning messages. If its green, youre now using Off the Record encryption in your messages with the buddy you verified. Note: keep in mind, youll have to do it separately for everyone you chat with, but you will only have to do it once for each.
Setting up Zimmerman Real Time Protocol (ZRTP)
9. Highlight your friends name and click either the audio or video call button. It will take a few seconds for it to connect and then it should start ringing.
10.At that point, you will see a button in the middle of the call window that says connected with an unlatched lock. That is indicating that ZRTP is not connected.
11. After a few seconds, there will be window that opens up at the bottom of the call window.
12. At this point, the call is still not secure, and you will need to verify the key with your friend as an additional security measure. If the codes match, then you will click confirm and close out of that window. ZRTP should be connected and you can verify that by making sure the lock is now closed and green.
If you made it through all the steps and followed the instructions, you should have Jitsi, ZRTP, and OTR configured. If not, and youre having some problems or technical difficulties, please take a look at these two videos and they should be able to answer any questions. Alternatively, view the tutorial made by the Pillow Fortress blog by clicking here.
If for some reason those do not work, please email me or call me at 309-533-7857 and I will assist you with getting it configured properly.
Youve just taken a great step in ensuring private communications and have also began implementing a security culture.
I would further recommend encrypting your email as well. A colleague put together a great tutorial on setting up Pretty Good Privacy (PGP), which you can find here.
Lastly, if you feel like there is something missing in the tutorial or that something needs to be explained better, please let me know. This will be updated as needed when I get feedback.
Shane is the founder of Liberty Under Attack Radio, The Vonu Podcast, and LUA Publications, an independent publishing company. He has been a guest on many podcasts and radio shows and his work has appeared on sites all over the alternative media. When he's not producing content (which isn't often), he enjoys riding four wheelers, reading, and drumming.
See the original post here:
How to Configure and Set-Up Jitsi - Liberty Under Attack
- Gladstone gold does club proud - Gladstone Observer - July 19th, 2017
- Jitsi | Futurist Transhuman News Blog - euvolution.com - July 10th, 2017
- FAQ | Jitsi | Prometheism.net euvolution.com | Futurist ... - July 5th, 2017
- FAQ | Jitsi | Futurist Transhuman News Blog - June 29th, 2017
- Tsirang vegetable vendors commit to selling local chillies - Kuensel, Buhutan's National Newspaper - June 27th, 2017
- FAQ | Jitsi | Prometheism.net - euvolution.com - June 26th, 2017
- FAQ | Jitsi - June 25th, 2017
- Jitsi - PediaView.com - June 14th, 2017
- Jitsi Meet (advanced) Projects - May 23rd, 2017
- Diaspora* and Other Free Software Are Available in the Occitan Language, Thanks to Volunteer Translators - Global Voices Online - May 23rd, 2017
- Online privacy guide for journalists - Radioinfo (subscription) - May 18th, 2017
- Your Essential List of 7 Productivity Hacks and Time Management Tips - Business 2 Community - May 11th, 2017
- Encrypted Chat Took Over. Let's Encrypt Calls, Too - Huffington Post - April 25th, 2017
- 5 Apps You Didn't Know You Needed - Syracuse University News - April 3rd, 2017
- Jitsi Meet - Android Apps on Google Play - March 9th, 2017
- Snowden helping develop tools to protect journalists and whistleblowers - 'to make the game a little more fair' - Press Gazette - February 15th, 2017
- Edward Snowden's New Job: Protecting Reporters From Spies - WIRED - February 14th, 2017
- Jitsi for Windows - Secure Instant Messaging and VoIP - February 11th, 2017
- Jitsi for Mac - Download - jitsi.en.softonic.com - February 6th, 2017
- Jitsi softphone for Windows OnSIP Support - November 23rd, 2016
- Trying to install jitsi meet with apache2 - Stack Overflow - October 29th, 2016
- Jitsi - Wikipedia - October 27th, 2016
- Jitsi - Mensajera instantnea segura de texto, audio y ... - August 10th, 2016
- Jitsi - Quora - May 31st, 2016
- Chocolatey Gallery | Jitsi 2.8.5426 - May 28th, 2016
- Jitsi - - May 24th, 2016
- Jitsi - FreeBSD Wiki - May 22nd, 2016
- Jitsi - OSTN - Guardian Project Open Dev - May 21st, 2016
- Jitsi WOW.com | Prometheism.net - May 1st, 2016
- Review: Jitsi the ultimate SIP voice and video client ... - April 22nd, 2016
- Jitsi - WOW.com - April 11th, 2016
- OpenFire Jitsi as Skype(desktop sharing) and Temviewer ... - March 20th, 2016
- Jitsi Download - Softpedia - March 16th, 2016
- Why did Atlassian Acquire Jitsi? (Hint: WebRTC Multiparty ... - March 6th, 2016
- Jitsi - Wikipedia, la enciclopedia libre - December 22nd, 2015
- [jitsi-users] SIP - Lync Connect deosnt work - December 19th, 2015
- Jitsi (Build 3132) - September 24th, 2015
- A Skype alternative worth its salt: Jitsi | usability ... - September 6th, 2015
- Jitsi Configuration and Review - Callcentric - August 30th, 2015
- Jitsi SIP Softphone Review - About.com Tech - August 30th, 2015
- Jitsi, ostel.co and ISP censorship | The Guardian Project - August 30th, 2015
- Jitsi | Tiki Suite - August 30th, 2015
- Jitsi Tutorial 1 - Installation - Top Windows Tutorials - August 8th, 2015
- jitsi/jitsi-meet GitHub - July 24th, 2015
- Jitsi: A Multi-Protocol, Cross Platform Compatible Chat ... - July 24th, 2015
- JITSI - Video - April 8th, 2015
- Jitsi - secure IM & VoIP | security in-a-box - March 21st, 2015
- Nexi Unified Communication Jitsi Presentazione full - Video - February 19th, 2015
- Jitsi for Mac | MacUpdate - Apple Mac OS X Software & Apps ... - February 13th, 2015
- Jitsi Wikipdia - February 7th, 2015
- Skype Encrypted Alt. SIP Jitsi Combo - February 7th, 2015
- jitsi videollamada - Video - December 26th, 2014
- IETF91 chairs meeting Honolulu Jitsi Meet questions - Video - November 18th, 2014
- IETF91 chairs meeting Honolulu Jitsi Meet presentation - Video - November 17th, 2014
- Jitsi Flasms Dogfooding: Using your own imperfect solutions helps improve them, - Video - November 10th, 2014
- When I say join me in a jitsi meet... - Video - November 7th, 2014
- Top messaging apps flat-out flunk EFF's security review - November 5th, 2014
- Bitcoin and dark wallet could be used by terrorists. So what? - September 24th, 2014
- jitsi.org | Jitsi - September 17th, 2014
- Just Linux touch screen and Jitsi - Video - September 16th, 2014
- FOSDEM 2014 - Jitsi Videobridge And Webrtc - Video - September 16th, 2014
- The Luminosity of Free Software Episode 20 - Video - September 13th, 2014
- Using XMPP chat with Jitsi - Video - September 12th, 2014
- Jitsi - SIP Softphone - Video - September 12th, 2014
- Jitsi (Mac) - Download - Softonic - September 1st, 2014
- How to download and install Jitsi - Video - May 17th, 2014
- Eliyah Moore, Barum Jiu Jitsi Vs Cahel Gonzalez, 5 Star Martial Arts - Video - May 16th, 2014
- Jitsi VoIP softphone Hands On Tutorial - Video - May 11th, 2014
- NetSecDemo Secure FTP over Jitsi - Video - May 9th, 2014
- FLOSS Weekly 293: Jitsi Meet - Video - May 9th, 2014
- Jitsi Overview: FLOSS Weekly 293 - Video - May 9th, 2014
- Jitsi - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - April 26th, 2014
- Jitsi - Official Site - April 26th, 2014
- Softonic - Jitsi - Download - April 26th, 2014
- The Architecture of Open Source Applications: Jitsi - April 26th, 2014
- Jitsi - Business VoIP Phone Service | OnSIP - April 26th, 2014