CJ Invest, Hotels and Development, News
May 23, 2021
By Alexander Britell
As an island region, the Caribbean isnt the easiest place to build. And even within the Caribbean, construction takes place in extremely remote destinations particularly offshore or private islands with little to no infrastructure and where transportation is a challenge.
But even more difficult is facilitating a place for the workers themselves to stay.
Thats where Gulf Land Structures comes in a company thats become a Caribbean leader in building in challenging environments by using modular construction to provide housing and bedspace for construction workers.
To learn more, we talked to Josh Vice, vice president and partner at Gulf Land Structures.
Tell us about the market for Gulf Land Structures. Who uses them and for what
. Since our inception in 2007 we have been primarily focused on servicing the offshore energy sector. The modules were designed to meet rigorous safety requirements along with withstanding hurricane force winds which is a requirement for offshore. We quickly realized our modules could be utilized for disaster response on barge camps and on land because they can be quickly mobilized and fully self-sufficient power, water, waste. Some of the same challenges that we were accustomed to apply to the Caribbean where the economics of putting workers in hotels does not make sense. We can house a worker anywhere at a fraction of the cost compared to traditional housing.
Are you seeing more demand right now for modular construction? Why?
Yes, we see some encouraging demand for our modules as there are multiple large-scale developments currently taking place and in planning throughout the Caribbean. Our modules are perfect for projects in these remote islands where there is not much if any infrastructure in place. In addition to development projects our modules are a good fit for housing disaster relief workers. After hurricane Irma we housed several hundred relief workers in Puerto Rico. We were able to quickly deploy the modules to provide immediate relief to the disaster-stricken areas.
Is the Caribbean a good market for Gulf Land Structures?
Yes, we believe so because developers are wanting more and more to give their clients access to seclusion on these beautiful and natural islands. With seclusion comes remoteness to infrastructure and thats where Gulf Land comes in. We come in install our modules, we can supply power, water and anything required to support a life camp. Since we are temporary once the project is complete, we remove all the equipment with minimal or no impact on the environment. The Caribbean is susceptible to hurricanes and because of the extensive design criteria that our modules are built to in order withstand storm force winds it makes them a perfect fit for this region. It is worth mentioning when hurricane Doiron hit Bahamas in 2019 our modules in Ocean Cay were unscathed.
Is the market worldwide and can Gulf Land deliver worldwide?
Yes, the market is worldwide or anywhere additional bedspace is needed. Gulf Land can deliver anywhere, although mobilization cost can make our solution economically unfavorable depending on how far away the project is. The Caribbean is a region where our assets are strategically positioned.
What if there is no existing infrastructure? Can you still use a Gulf Land Structure?
Of course, this is where our solution excels. Just give us a clear site to install the camp and we can handle everything else. Clean potable water, power, housing, offices, anything you need in regard to housing that way you can focus on completing the project. In addition to limited infrastructure limited site space is where we also excel. For example, in St Maarten we were able to house 300 workers in a resort parking lot by stacking our modules while the resort was being renovated.
What is the most remote location you have served?
Ocean Cay Marine Reserve in Bahamas. We housed approximately 500 workers for 18 months with a totally self-sufficient camp. This island had little to no infrastructure when we arrived and once complete the island was transformed into a beautiful natural habitat for wildlife while at the same time a wonderful place for guest to relax and enjoy the beautiful blue waters of the Bahamas.
What does the pricing for structureslook like?
Pricing varies depending on how many workers the client wants to sleep in each module and the existing infrastructure available for power, and water to support the camp. These types of things along with the location of the island is what drives pricing.
What else can you tell us about your clients?
We have a broad client base ranging from Oil & Gas, large construction, engineering, developers, cruise lines, department of defense, FEMA and other companies that specialize in disaster recovery. Our clients have come to trust us over the years based on our extensive experience in housing what many of them consider their most important assets, their people.
For more, visit Gulf Land Structures.
- Renting out your own private island may be cheaper than you think here are 13 incredible Airbnbs - Business Insider - July 25th, 2021
- Five Homes on Maine Islands You Don't Want to Miss Out On - Boston magazine - July 25th, 2021
- Marymount team helps in statewide effort to address 'heat islands' - Inside NoVA - July 25th, 2021
- 10 "No-No's" of Cruising After the Pandemic - Cruzely.com - July 25th, 2021
- We bought a $62,000 sailboat and moved in - Toronto Life - July 25th, 2021
- Exploring the Elizabeth Islands (and swimming with cows) - The Boston Globe - July 7th, 2021
- Holiday on Welsh private island goes viral on TikTok and stuns people around the world - Wales Online - July 7th, 2021
- Beautiful Scottish island goes on sale for the same price as Edinburgh city centre flat - Edinburgh Live - July 7th, 2021
- Secluded Camp with 4,000 ft of Lake Frontage in NY's Adirondacks Scheduled for Luxury Auction July 16th - PRNewswire - July 7th, 2021
- Ed Sheeran had to be talked out of buying an island and moving to Ghana - NME - July 7th, 2021
- The private Scottish island you can buy for the same price as a London flat - My London - July 7th, 2021
- 17 Sunny Photos of the Royal Family at the Beach - TownandCountrymag.com - July 7th, 2021
- Traveling to the Maldives during Covid-19: What you need to know before you go - KTVZ - July 7th, 2021
- What's New In The Bahamas In July - PRNewswire - PRNewswire - July 7th, 2021
- Revisiting The Island of Dr. Moreau: Marlon Brandos fever dream - Far Out Magazine - July 7th, 2021
- The Best Room at ... The Four Seasons Anguilla - TownandCountrymag.com - July 7th, 2021
- I went on Royal Caribbean's 7-day vaccinated cruise to the Bahamas - Business Insider - July 7th, 2021
- If you love travel then Netflix's The World's Most Amazing Vacation Rentals is your next watch - Woman & Home - July 7th, 2021
- Taxing tourists is helping the Balearic islands to give back to sustainable initiatives - Euronews - June 28th, 2021
- Escape to one of these 10 New England islands for your next vacation - USA Today 10Best - June 28th, 2021
- Some neighborhoods in DC can be 20 degrees hotter than other areas. Here's why - WUSA9.com - June 28th, 2021
- Where is the Love Island villa and can I stay there? - Manchester Evening News - June 28th, 2021
- Calilo a work of art on the Greek island of Ios - Travel Weekly - June 27th, 2021
- The perfect getaway: An interview with Luis D. Ortiz of Netflix's The World's Most Amazing Vacations Rentals - Charleston Post Courier - June 27th, 2021
- Yugo Private Aviation expands in Southeast Asia - Business Wire - June 27th, 2021
- Rare chance to own a renovated cottage on a private Welsh island - Wales Online - June 27th, 2021
- Would you like to stay in an igloo when your trip resumes? - Ohionewstime.com - June 27th, 2021
- Private aviation firm Yugo pursuing growth in PHL - BusinessWorld Online - June 27th, 2021
- Behind the Scenes: On the Hunt for the Real Ghislaine Maxwell - Rolling Stone - June 27th, 2021
- This Private Island for Rent in Greece is Heaven on Earth A private island available to - Greek Reporter - June 23rd, 2021
- Netflixs New Series "The Worlds Most Amazing Vacation Rentals" Is Giving Us the Travel Inspiration We Need - HouseBeautiful.com - June 23rd, 2021
- Find The Worlds Most Amazing Vacation Rentals on Netflix - The Detroit News - June 23rd, 2021
- The Ritz-Carlton Debuts In Turks & Caicos Hospitality Net - Hospitality Net - June 23rd, 2021
- Library bookmark contest... - Journal of the San Juan Islands - June 23rd, 2021
- Why I had no hesitations booking 2 cruises this summer - Business Insider - June 23rd, 2021
- An AZ of Greek islands and how to plan the perfect trip - Telegraph.co.uk - Telegraph.co.uk - June 23rd, 2021
- Bill Clinton and Jeffrey Epstein really are more scandalous than Prince Andrew Film Daily - Film Daily - June 23rd, 2021
- How to Rent Out Four of the Most Exclusive Private Islands on Earth - InsideHook - June 15th, 2021
- Disney is Still Moving Forward with Second Private Destination in the Bahamas - Cruise Hive - June 15th, 2021
- 7-Day Sailing Trip to The British Virgin Islands - AFAR Media - June 15th, 2021
- Why Private Travel Is The Newest Trend For Vacationers Private Travel - Upscale Living Magazine - June 15th, 2021
- Where Sun, Sand and Splendor Are Still to Be Discovered - The New York Times - June 15th, 2021
- A Japanese-Inspired Villa Hits the Market on the British Virgin Islands - Dwell - June 15th, 2021
- A Birding Adventure in Arizonas Sky Islands - The New York Times - June 15th, 2021
- Financing considerations for take-private transactions in the Cayman Islands - Lexology - June 15th, 2021
- Turks and Caicos Islands issued a Level 1 Notice from the CDC - eTurboNews | Trends | Travel News - June 15th, 2021
- A local's ultimate guide to visiting St. Martin, an island in the Caribbean - Insider - June 15th, 2021
- Hudson Valley On The Water: 5 Islands Park Kayak Excursions - Patch.com - June 15th, 2021
- Private Funding of Legal Services Act, 2020: the codification and expansion of litigation funding in the Cayman Islands - Lexology - June 2nd, 2021
- Cruises are finally returning to U.S. ports here's what will be different post-COVID - MarketWatch - June 2nd, 2021
- First Look: The Ritz-Carlton Opens Its First Resort in the Maldives - Robb Report - June 2nd, 2021
- Traveling to the Maldives during Covid-19: What you need to know before you go - KRDO - June 2nd, 2021
- Culture Talk: Lisa Howie on Organizing Inaugural Atlantic World Art Fair, Online Event Features Works by Artists From Caribbean and Atlantic Islands -... - June 2nd, 2021
- OMG, I Want to Rent That House: Ibiza, Spain The Daily Beast - Daily Beast - June 2nd, 2021
- Join the luxury villa club with Stay One Degree - The Week UK - June 2nd, 2021
- Unparalleled Luxury Embraces the Circle of Island Life with the Debut of the Ritz-Carlton Maldives, Fari Islands - Yahoo Finance - June 2nd, 2021
- Tourism is Back and it Starts in The Seychelles With a Boom! - Al-Bawaba - June 2nd, 2021
- Post-COVID cruising: The ships are back at sea, but where can they go? - Yahoo News - June 2nd, 2021
- Everything you need to know about a Fiji and Pacific Islands travel bubble, and which islands to visit - Nine - June 2nd, 2021
- Open letter to the Lopez community | Guest... - Islands' Weekly - June 2nd, 2021
- 10 Private Islands That You Can Rent on Airbnb - Yahoo Lifestyle - May 24th, 2021
- L'Voyage Expands with New Shareholder and New Plans - Aviation International News - May 24th, 2021
- COMPETITION: Win a spectacular private island staycation in idyllic Clew Bay for you and your housemates - JOE.ie - May 24th, 2021
- Survey reveals who's willing to cruise - News - University of Florida - University of Florida - May 24th, 2021
- Here's Everything Worth A Watch On Netflix In June 2021 - Secret Manchester - May 24th, 2021
- Yorkshire jeweller becomes an unexpected tourist attraction - in the Falkland Islands - The Yorkshire Post - May 24th, 2021
- The Worlds Largest Private Residential Yacht Will Be Back on the Water This Summer - Robb Report - May 24th, 2021
- WATCH: This New Netflix Series Takes You Inside the World's Most Amazing Vacation Home Rentals - Yahoo Entertainment - May 24th, 2021
- Where Proof of COVID-19 Vaccination Is Required - Healthline - May 24th, 2021
- Mackinac Islands Sip n Sail boat offers new cruises, including 5 oclock Somewhere - MLive.com - May 24th, 2021
- The Best Outer Banks Vacation Rentals 2021, from Beachfront Bungalows to Family-Friendly Retreats - Cond Nast Traveler - May 24th, 2021
- Traveling to the Maldives during Covid-19: What you need to know before you go - Gwinnettdailypost.com - May 11th, 2021
- Pandemic, where are we heading to? - The Times of India Blog - May 11th, 2021
- Heres how to book a glamorous spot to go glamping - MarketWatch - May 11th, 2021
- Rarotonga bubble ready: Cook Islands' advice to Kiwi visitors - New Zealand Herald - May 11th, 2021
- Europe woos tourists with cash, cafes and Covid-free islands - Yahoo Singapore News - May 11th, 2021
- Private parking spaces in Provincetown near $100K each in densest parts of town - Wicked Local - May 11th, 2021
- He was on vacation that cost 15,000 Johnson was examined - asumetech - May 11th, 2021
- School Garden Iniative Continues To Grow - Government of the Virgin Islands - May 11th, 2021
- WATCH: The R1.8m-a-night private island that Melinda Gates rented during divorce - CapeTown ETC - May 9th, 2021