When news of the first COVID-19 vaccine gaining U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) approval came December 2020, it was met with a mixture of relief and excitement across the healthcare landscape. But, amidst the cheers came the realization that state and local governments, hospitals, pharmacies and other key vaccine administration stakeholders would have to manage what would be an intricate and complex process to ensure 60% to 70% of the country could be vaccinated as quickly as possible. Managing such an undertaking requires technologies that can support stakeholders in both a timely and scalable manner.1,2
COVID-19 has been, in my opinion, one of the biggest challenges weve ever faced as a global community and the vaccine is at the heart of our recovery from this pandemic, said Renee Patton, Global Director Healthcare, Cisco. Weve experienced tremendous loss over the past 10 months and different communities have been disproportionately impacted. And, as we now shift our focus to rolling out the vaccine, we need to facilitate an inclusive recovery, meaning, we need technology that can work with governments, healthcare providers, pharmacies, such as Walgreens, and communities to ensure they have a safe and effective administration of these vaccines.
As it stands, Patton said vaccine administration stakeholders need information technology (IT) platforms that can address three primary challenges:
Patient access and outreach
Appropriate monitoring and storage of vaccines
This vaccine is essential its the first step to that road to inclusive recovery that we need, she said. With so much hanging in the balance, we need to make sure we are doing it right.
Scaling up communications
As states began to receive allotments of COVID-19 vaccines, doctors and pharmacies received a deluge of calls from patients about eligibility for vaccination as well as how to schedule and where to go for an appointment. At the same time, healthcare organizations (HCOs) are working hard to ensure those in the most vulnerable patient populations can be vaccinated first. Managing patient access and outreach is a top challenge, according to Patton.
The process, right now, is leading to more questions than answers, she said. People want to know what phase they are in, how to make an appointment and why they havent heard from their doctors about the vaccine yet. This endeavor requires massive coordination and accurate communications with patients and the greater community for it to work.
Contact center technologies that can quickly and easily be scaled to meet evolving communication needs are essential to managing this level of uncertainty. They offer HCOs, as well as public health entities, the ability to securely stand up call centers and other communication efforts that harness automation and artificial intelligence features to take the burden off the human agents answering the flood of calls.
Having cloud-based technology gives you the ability to quickly scale existing operations and set up call centers in record time, Patton said. Having that kind of speed to execute is very important under these circumstances.
Establishing secure connections
As HCOs consider setting up COVID-19 vaccination sites in unorthodox places a variety of both public and private spaces are being considered, ranging from parking garages to sports stadiums providers also have secure connectivity on their minds. Vaccine administrators will need to document who has received which dose (i.e., first or second) when and port that information, whenever possible, to an individuals electronic health record (EHR) or to a public health agency database.
At Renown Health, based out of Nevada, we worked with them to deploy solutions that helped build a temporary field hospital in a parking garage in just 10 days, Patton said. They are using WiFi analytics to not just monitor and more efficiently track the temperature and locations of medications, but also to connect patients to the necessary data to ensure a secure administration of the vaccination.
Only organizations with strong, secure core IT infrastructures will be able to reliably manage that process, she continued: Over the last nine months, many organizations have gotten experience in building a network infrastructure to manage capacity at field hospitals, temporary clinics and pop-up testing sites as well as to connect isolated patients to loved ones and enable telehealth at a massive scale. Those same cloud-based tools can be used to ensure safe and secure vaccine administration sites and clinics, where there will be the connectivity to support scheduling and administration, as well as documenting vaccine administration-related information. Having the power of 5G and WiFi makes it easier to connect to patient records, as well as to healthcare staff, to track and administer these vaccines safely and securely especially as each patient needs to get two doses.
Appropriate storage and monitoring
Another challenge the healthcare industry faces is guaranteeing that these precious vaccines can be appropriately transported, stored and monitored, as they require strict temperature controls. Again, said Patton, here is a place where the right technologies matter.
The internet of things is going to play a vital role in this process, empowering temperature monitors on refrigeration units, she said. You will need the infrastructure and technology to enable sensors and cameras on vaccine storage facilities. You need those things to do real-time tracking of the fleet of planes, trains and trucks carrying the vaccine to different vaccination sites. So, having secure, reliable remote observation solutions can make this kind of real-time monitoring possible.
Moving toward an inclusive recovery
As key stakeholders continue to evolve their strategies to enable what will be a complex vaccine rollout, Patton said providers that work with a trusted technology partner, who is experienced in deploying safe and secure network infrastructures, to meet these challenges, will have greater success. By working with these partners, HCOs can be certain they will have the transparency, accountability and trust to support the needs of their patient populations as they embark on this critical endeavor.
By working with partners who can help you create simple, effective and integrated solutions, you can be sure you can get these vaccination sites set up both quickly and securely, she said. Ciscos mission is to power an inclusive future and technology has a huge role to play in delivering this vaccine that will help to fuel our recovery.
Learn more here about how Cisco is leading COVID-19 vaccine rollout strategies.
1. Borenstein, J., and Weintraub, R. 2020. Rolling out the COVID vaccine is a huge IT challenge. Harvard Business Review. Dec. 21. https://hbr.org/2020/12/rolling-out-the-covid-vaccine-is-a-huge-it-challenge.
2. Jercich, K. 2021. States rely on wide range of IT systems to manage COVID-19 vaccines. Healthcare IT News. Jan. 14. https://www.healthcareitnews.com/news/states-rely-wide-range-it-systems-manage-covid-19-vaccines.
- Techlash continues to batter technology sector - Brookings Institution - April 2nd, 2021
- CodeCrew students honored for their work in the technology field - WREG NewsChannel 3 - April 2nd, 2021
- Technology And The Future Of Work In Finance: A Q&A With Paychexs CFO - Forbes - April 2nd, 2021
- Options Technology Announces Acquisition of Fixnetix from DXC Technology - Business Wire - April 2nd, 2021
- Wireless Gigabit Market with COVID-19 impact by Product, Technology, Protocol, End-use and Geography - Global Forecast to 2026 - PRNewswire - April 2nd, 2021
- Europe's chance to lead the green technology race - Financial Times - April 2nd, 2021
- We need to strengthen and accelerate US science and technology progress | TheHill - The Hill - April 2nd, 2021
- Beauty filters are changing the way young girls see themselves - MIT Technology Review - April 2nd, 2021
- Silicon Valley startup invents 'groundbreaking' new technology that could change the way we travel - Greater Greater Washington - April 2nd, 2021
- COVID-19 Has Forced an Evolution of Campus Safety Technology - Campus Safety - Campus Safety Magazine - April 2nd, 2021
- Revolutionary Technology Upgrades to the School of Music - The UCLA Herb Alpert School of Music - UCLA Herb Alpert School of Music - April 2nd, 2021
- TerraLithium Receives Affirmation of Patents for Foundational Lithium Production Processes and Technologies - PRNewswire - April 2nd, 2021
- Align Technology to Announce First Quarter 2021 Results on April 28, 2021 - Yahoo Finance - April 2nd, 2021
- Stocks making the biggest moves in the premarket: J&J, Emergent BioSolutions, Micron Technology & more - CNBC - April 2nd, 2021
- ST Equipment & Technology Teams with Salt River Materials Group on Fly Ash Recycling System - PRNewswire - April 2nd, 2021
- Honeywell To Provide Critical Navigation And Sensor Technology For Pipistrel's Unmanned Cargo Aircraft - PRNewswire - April 2nd, 2021
- Vellore Institute of Technology team electrifies houses in rural Karnataka - The Hindu - April 2nd, 2021
- Aerospace Robotics Market Research Report by Type, by Technology, by Operation - Global Forecast to 2025 - Cumulative Impact of COVID-19 - Yahoo... - April 2nd, 2021
- NASA invests in small business projects to advance technology - Northeast Mississippi Daily Journal - April 2nd, 2021
- Why 3 Analysts Think Micron Technology Stock Is An Attractive Choice - Yahoo Finance - April 2nd, 2021
- How Unity Is Helping Creators Around The World Use Technology To Imagine A Better Future - Forbes - March 31st, 2021
- Wall Street dips, with technology the biggest drag - Reuters - March 31st, 2021
- Technology helps family stay connected to 93-year-old grandfather - NEWS10 ABC - March 31st, 2021
- 'Big Storage' Is the Next Big Technology in the Climate Fight - Bloomberg - March 31st, 2021
- Worldwide Facial Skin Ablative Treatment Industry - by Technology, Application and Demography - ResearchAndMarkets.com - Business Wire - March 31st, 2021
- The science and technology that can help save the ocean - MIT Technology Review - March 31st, 2021
- DJO Invests in Next-Generation Augmented Reality Technology Primed for ASC Market Growth - Business Wire - March 31st, 2021
- InMobi Dominates MMA SMARTIES MENA 2020 with 15 Awards Including Technology Enabler of the Year and Best in Show - Business Wire - March 31st, 2021
- Healthcare Technology Innovator SSG Rolls Out Digital Platforms to Accelerate the Fight Against COVID-19 - Business Wire - March 31st, 2021
- Juniper Research Named as Top Three Most Influential Analyst House Globally by Telco Technology Buyers - Business Wire - March 31st, 2021
- A Technology Partner Can Help Midsize Businesses Accelerate Digital Transformation - SPONSOR CONTENT FROM DELL TECHNOLOGIES AND INTEL - Harvard... - March 31st, 2021
- Global Automotive Antifreeze Market (2020 to 2027) - by Fluid Type, Technology, Application and Distribution Channel - ResearchAndMarkets.com -... - March 31st, 2021
- Investment Opportunities of Big Data Technology in China - Growth, Trends, COVID-19 Impact, and Forecasts 2021-2026 - ResearchAndMarkets.com -... - March 31st, 2021
- ST Equipment & Technology Teams with Salt River Materials Group on Fly Ash Recycling System - Yahoo Finance - March 31st, 2021
- 5 Emerging IoT Technologies You Need To Know In 2021 - CRN - March 31st, 2021
- Successive Technologies and Strapi Announces Strategic Partnership - PR Newswire India - March 31st, 2021
- Spotify Technology S.A. to Announce Financial Results for First Quarter 2021 - Business Wire - March 31st, 2021
- Technology, agriculture's friend for the sustainable farms of the future - Euronews - March 31st, 2021
- House panel offers its plan to double NSF budget and create technology directorate - Science Magazine - March 31st, 2021
- Building customer relationships with conversational AI - MIT Technology Review - March 31st, 2021
- TPConnects, the Technology Provider, Announces That Eastern Airlines is Investing in New Distribution Capabilities With IATA's NDC Level 4... - March 31st, 2021
- MetroWest towns and cities working together to offer clean energy technology - MetroWest Daily News - March 31st, 2021
- Vietnam's CamLy Group Founder introduces innovative technology to the global market, adding to her inspirational businesses ventures - Yahoo Finance - March 31st, 2021
- Outlook on the Cell Therapy Global Market to 2027 - by Therapy Type, Product, Technology, Application, End-user and Geography - GlobeNewswire - March 31st, 2021
- Worldwide Aircraft Maintenance Tooling Industry to 2027 - Featuring Farwest Aircraft, Inspection Technologies and Red Box Aviation Among Others -... - March 31st, 2021
- Black graduates 'shut out' of academic science and technology careers - The Guardian - March 29th, 2021
- Global Cloud-based Data Lake Market Technology Progress, Business Opportunities and Analysis 2021 to 2027 | Top Companies Analysis- Amazon Web... - March 29th, 2021
- Governor Lamont Announces Launch of Information Technology Optimization Process Within State Government - CT.gov - March 18th, 2021
- Retalon Announces Breakthrough Application of Deep Learning Technology in Business Specific Predictive Analytics - PRNewswire - March 18th, 2021
- MIT Technology Review Announces EmTech Next 2021 Virtual Conference, June 8-10, hosted in partnership with Harvard Business Review - PRNewswire - March 18th, 2021
- DOD Working With Norway to Develop High-Speed Propulsion Technologies - Department of Defense - March 18th, 2021
- Is Amkor Technology (AMKR) Outperforming Other Computer and Technology Stocks This Year? - Yahoo Finance - March 18th, 2021
- Citizens of the Week: Teens Teach Technology - The Philadelphia Citizen - March 18th, 2021
- Seniors receiving free virtual coaching on learning how to use technology - 13newsnow.com WVEC - March 18th, 2021
- FinFet Technology Market is Anticipated to Touch USD 268.66 Million by 2025 Growing at 40.3% CAGR | Market Research Future (MRFR) - Yahoo Finance - March 18th, 2021
- This BYU facial recognition technology is designed with hackers and accessibility in mind - KSL.com - March 18th, 2021
- Technology IPOs A Meeting of Cultures at the Tel Aviv Stock Exchange - JD Supra - March 18th, 2021
- Transplace Expands Logistics Technology Platform to Europe with its Newest Technology Release and the Opening of an Office in the Netherlands -... - March 18th, 2021
- Quanterix' Simoa Technology Accelerates Critical Plasma Biomarker Research Presented at the 15th International Conference on Parkinson's &... - March 18th, 2021
- Outsourcing Marketing Technology Support To Boost Efficiency and Profits - Part 2 - JD Supra - March 18th, 2021
- Leveraging AI/NLP technology to reduce health inequities and improve patient outcomes - MedCity News - March 18th, 2021
- Bob Bain Productions and Berlin Entertainment Choose TVU Networks' Technology for Seamless, Virtual Production of the 26th Annual Critics Choice... - March 18th, 2021
- First American Data & Analytics Named One of the Most Innovative Technology Companies in Both Mortgage and Real Estate by HousingWire Magazine -... - March 18th, 2021
- Hearing aid makers tackle the technology's 'number one problem' with AI - STAT - March 18th, 2021
- Interstellar disc that blasted by Earth was not alien technology. Heres what it was. - Mahoning Matters - March 18th, 2021
- Dicapta Corporation Accessibility Technology Makes It Possible For DeafBlind Individuals To Watch An Oscar-Nominated Film About Themselves For The... - March 18th, 2021
- Centerville police to crack down on speeding with help from new technology - WHIO Radio - March 18th, 2021
- How Mason City Schools Is Using Technology To Monitor Students' Mental Health - WVXU - March 18th, 2021
- Texas Medical Technology Launches Its Smart iNitrile Device for Putting on Sterile Gloves Easily, Safely, and Automatically - Business Wire - March 18th, 2021
- Insights on the Environmental Remediation Technologies Global Markets to 2025 - by Technology and Industry Application - Yahoo Finance UK - March 18th, 2021
- How HCCC's upgrades will help ensure health of everyone on campus - The Times Telegram - March 18th, 2021
- DataTrace Named One of the Most Innovative Technology Companies in Real Estate by HousingWire Magazine - Business Wire - March 18th, 2021
- SoftServe Wins Best Technology Response at the GSA Professional Awards 2020 - Business Wire - March 18th, 2021
- Nokia Technology To Be Integrated Across AWS, Google And Microsoft Platforms - Yahoo Tech - March 18th, 2021
- Securus Technologies Provides 40 Million Free Phone Calls to Incarcerated Americans Through First Year of COVID-19 Assistance - PRNewswire - March 18th, 2021
- Global Automatic Optical Inspection Market- GPEL Electronic GmbH, Koh Young Technology Inc., Mek Europe BV, Among Others to Contribute to the Market... - March 18th, 2021
- LOral technology incubators Guive Balooch on marrying beauty and tech - Glossy - March 11th, 2021
- Clevertouch by Boxlight Helps to Refresh Technology for The British Academy - Yahoo Finance - March 11th, 2021
- How technology helped Houston fight against the pandemic - InnovationMap - March 11th, 2021
- Global Indoor Farming Technology Markets, 2020-2021 & 2026 - Opportunities in the Development of Innovative and Cost-Effective Technologies &... - March 11th, 2021